URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123282
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 07:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: You know it's 1975 when...
Posted By: Braka1
Subject: You know it's 1975 when...
Date Posted: June 19 2020 at 09:46
From a 1975 National Lampoon

You know it's the mid 70's when these two artists managed to get full page ads in an American (non-music) magazine.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: June 19 2020 at 09:50
^ cool Thumbs Up

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 19 2020 at 10:09
 the small print suggests that Illusion On A Double Dimple was Triumvirate's debut album?

Date Posted: June 19 2020 at 11:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

the small print suggests that Illusion On A Double Dimple was Triumvirate's debut album?

Double Dimple was their first album to be released in the US, so to a US audience, kind of...

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:35

I got me a real and historical dimple (not a German one)

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:37
I didn't even know that National Lampoon was a magazine publication. I thought it was a fillum franchise...like Monty Python...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: June 19 2020 at 12:55
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I didn't even know that National Lampoon was a magazine publication. I thought it was a fillum franchise...like Monty Python...

This is a whole other topic. But NatLamp started as a magazine in 1970 - a spinoff from The Harvard Lampoon - and their golden age is generally considered to be around 70-75, long before they ended up as a film franchise with substantially different contributors. Their early magazine stuff is incredibly good. To hell with all that Christmas Vacation rubbish.

They were also responsible for some of the greatest rock parodies ever (look up 'Magical Misery Tour' for an amazing John Lennon parody circa 1970)

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: June 19 2020 at 22:59
I remember this magazine. Hilarious. They also released albums. Also hilarious. And they published parodies of the Lord of the Rings (Bored of the Rings) and the Hobbit (the Bobbit). Yes, hilarious.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: June 20 2020 at 01:43
^ interesting, I think I have that book...the LOTR one..😎

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 20 2020 at 06:20
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Double Dimple was their first album to be released in the US, so to a US audience, kind of...

I didn't know that. Thanks for mentioning it.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: June 20 2020 at 06:55
You know it's 1975 when you see Jimmy Savile on Top of the Pops. Smile

Posted By: Droxford
Date Posted: June 20 2020 at 11:27
It's great to see a mention of Hawkwind's 'Warrior on the Edge of Time' . I was still at school , when it came out, but lucky enough to see the band play several tracks from the album in their UK tour the following year 
( 1976). As far as I remember, the album sleeve opened out to form a shield. 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: June 20 2020 at 11:41
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I remember this magazine. Hilarious. They also released albums. Also hilarious. And they published parodies of the Lord of the Rings (Bored of the Rings) and the Hobbit (the Bobbit). Yes, hilarious.

“He would have finished Goddam off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he [Dildo] thought."

I read Bored of the Rings several times as a kid -- pity I don't still have my copy.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: June 20 2020 at 13:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

“He would have finished Goddam off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he [Dildo] thought."

I read Bored of the Rings several times as a kid -- pity I don't still have my copy.

This quote gives a good sense for their sense of humor.  

Buddy of mine came back to the States after spending Christmas in England with copies of both the books, so they are still out there. At least in the U.K.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: June 20 2020 at 15:13
I know it was 1975 when I wore check Oxford bags over my platforms to school!

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 20 2020 at 15:59
You know it's 1975 when you fight with your brother over who's turn it is to ride the big wheel. Oops. Maybe that only applies to me. :P

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 06:44
silicon was... heresy man!!!

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 06:49
You know its 1975 when the police don't bust you for possession, but take your stash anyway and tell you they are going to share it with their friends.

-------------
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 06:54
hahahha..  WILLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heart

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 06:56
Ok, I took down my post because I was wrong. I downloaded the pic and looked at it up close and it does say Jan. 1975 or something like 1975. It appears to be Cheryl Tiegs too.

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 06:57
^ Willie and crew stayed at a hotel I worked at in Longview Tx. After they checked out, another bellman and myself rushed to his room to get what was left in the ashtrays before the maids got there.

-------------
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 07:05
I have many fantasies John.. crossed off a many in wilder youth.. but some sadly I never managed to cross off..oh yes.. #1..an invite to the tour bus and smoking with Willlie. 

My blood red Willie and not trusting those that don't smoke dope T-shirt is not just one of favorite shirts.. but a favorite of my office on casual Fridays...

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 07:41
Willie is a funny guy. He couldn't find the stairs so he jumped from the second floor to the ground with all the maids screaming for him to not do it out of fear for his safety.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 08:20
fear of his safety?  Yes I can see that.  

He isn't just 'famous' ..he's pure Americana John..not merely a musical legend.. but a cultural one. There have  only two musicians I have truly idolized.. not just for their music and talents as I do with Jack and Duane...but the lives they led.  George was one.. Willie is the other. He is a true American icon and treasure. The last remaining one we have I believe.. truly larger than life.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 08:41
Who is Jack and George?
Jack Daniels?

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 09:00
ConfusedLOL

there is only one 'George' just as there is only John, Paul and Ringo..

and Jack.. yeah... there really only is one Jack...

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 09:05
Doing some further reading, I just learned that Gahan Wilson died last year, age 89. He did some famous National Lampoon covers in the 70's, and his comic strip 'Nuts' - wonderful, often macabre memories of childhood - was one of the longest running in the magazine's history. Maybe second only to Shary Flenniken's 'Trots and Bonnie' - which is actually finally coming out in book form this year.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 09:37
Re Micky: George Harrison?!? Really?? Maybe there is a joke here I am not getting, I was thinking George Jones. George Clinton would have been acceptable too.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 09:50
not a joke ...  that would mean I actually had a sense of humor... 

you say 'George' in terms of rock music and even here in the 3rd of the 21st.. the vast majority know exactly who you mean.

as far as Jack... I assumed my man lust of him was as well known as my homoertoic love of Duane but I'd give you a pass on not knowing that.  You're a keyboardist.. not a f**king bassist LOLHeart

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 10:03
You've mentioned Jack many times in the past, but George kind of surprised me, oh well.
Jack is cool, Hot Tuna, jamming with Jimi etc.
Jimi, now there is a first name no one will have to explain for a couple more centuries, same for Miles.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 10:14
first name only rock royalty indeed which George is as much (if not more) a part of..  

surprised..  I could see that John. even as long as we've conversed here.  For me he is as much personal as musical .. he was a gateway to not just my personal salvation.. but to my survival... and that I don't often talk about. While I joke about some aspects of my past.. others I keep tight rein on .. even Raff knows I won't talk to her about some aspects of it. Things only those that have been through can understand. I'll never forget a personal symmetry of when Lennon was murdered and helping console my mother who just broke down upon hearing the news.. and the ridicule and abuse my ex threw at me when I broke down when Harrison died. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 10:41
I hear ya, there are a couple song lyrics here and there that had a huge impact on me, but it would all sound silly and trite here on an open forum.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 10:46
exactly BeerHeart

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 10:59
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Re Micky: George Harrison?!? Really?? Maybe there is a joke here I am not getting, I was thinking George Jones. George Clinton would have been acceptable too.

George Jones?Confused

You ask anyone who has ever listened to a rock album to name a famous musician named George, it will never be George Jones. Perhaps someone living in a trailer in the foothills of Appalachia might say George Jones, but even that is doubtful. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 11:24
hahahah.. well in John's defense Greg.. he knows I am not just the biggest country music fan on the forum.

I am probably the ONLY one LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 11:25
^ I was going on his Willie Nelson Americana reference there.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 11:28
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahah.. well in John's defense Greg.. he knows I am not just the biggest country music fan on the forum.

I am probably the ONLY one LOL
Although my tastes run more towards jazz and RnB, I do like some early country and I knew you did too. It goes with the Jack Daniels.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 11:30
^ Well, better George Jones than Boy George. LOL

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 11:34
Yes, John, Paul, Ringo and Boy George.   
EDIT: Music history a couple centuries from now.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2020 at 11:40
*spits hot tea on monitor*

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 22 2020 at 04:11
It's 1975 when you hear Born To Run, Have a Cigar and Miracles (by Jefferson Airplane) played one after the other on any NY FM radio station! Good times! Tongue

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: June 23 2020 at 10:28
I also remember in 1975 some fairly well known US music source whose name escapes me awarding Fleetwood Mac 'Best new band of the year' - following the success of their tenth album.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2020 at 10:34
You know it's 1975 when the first album by Crack the Sky is awarded best debut album by Rolling Stone magazine. Tongue

Date Posted: June 23 2020 at 10:35
1975...listening to Wish You Were Here, Physical Graffiti and Minstrel in the Gallery in succession.

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 23 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

1975...listening to Wish You Were Here, Physical Graffiti and Minstrel in the Gallery in succession.
Yup, 1975 was an awesome year for prog. Hope you remembered it. Wink

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: June 23 2020 at 13:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Yup, 1975 was an awesome year for prog. Hope you remembered it. Wink
Actually, I do remember learning the chord progression to "Wish You Were Here" as a 15 year old. Back then you kept replaying the album over and over till you finally got it right.

-------------

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: July 01 2020 at 01:50
I turned 13 in 1975 and was already getting into prog rock in a big way.  My Dad took me and a couple of mates to a local one day rock festival which I lapped up.  I remember the DJ played the second half of 'Gates of Delirium' and the main act was Limelight - who later became associated with NWOBHM - but were more prog then.  They even had a Mellotron on stage!

Posted By: MaldonTerryWood
Date Posted: July 27 2020 at 09:45
You know it's 1975 when ...  there is no escape anywhere from Bohemian Bloody Rhapsody

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:55
You know it's 1975 when it's not safe to go in the water.....duhn, duhn, duhn, duhn.

It's also '75 that the Red Headed Stranger from Blue Rock, Montana rode into town.  

And Graffiti!  Man, I was laste for school SO many times 'cause I couldn't take Graffiti off the turntable until the side was thru

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Boboulo
Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 07:02
Van der Graaf Generator - "The Sleepwalkers" (1975)

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 07:28
I know it's 1975 when "Flowers and Beads" are something I wore, and not just the title of an Iron Butterfly song. Smile

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 09:03
January 24 – Jazz pianist Keith Jarrett plays the solo improvisation The Köln Concert at the Cologne Opera, which, recorded live, becomes the best-selling piano recording in history.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 09:05
March 29 – Blow by Blow by Jeff Beck is released. It would become his most successful album in the United States, reaching the top five and selling over one million copies.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 09:10
October 11 – NBC airs the first episode of Saturday Night Live (George Carlin is the first host; Billy Preston and Janis Ian the first musical guests).

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:47
Saw a Triumvirat billboard outside of Fresno around that time. Forgot for which album though.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk