Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123320
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 02:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Interactive poll team
Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Subject: Interactive poll team
Date Posted: June 24 2020 at 18:49
Well, I realized just now that Tapfret has opened an Interactive Poll for prog songs. This creates an overlap of polls and it is not easy to have time to participate in both interactive prog polls and interactive non-prog polls.

And I see that according to some forumists, the pace at which the interactive polls (of non-prog songs) start is too fast. 

I make you this proposals about Interactive polls of non-prog songs: 

1) To start an interactive poll every two weeks, so everyone has time to listen to the songs calmly and to vote. We could always start them on Mondays, from now on. 

2) I ask you who is interested in being part of the team that opens the Interactive polls. Here are the names of the forumists who have so far offered to start an interactive poll:
- TCat
- Micky
- Raff
- Lewian
- Mathman
- Cristi

Did I forget someone?

Are you available to join a team that opens an interactive poll every two weeks? I say every two weeks as long as there is someone who offers to open it, it shouldn't be an obligation for anyone. 

3) Is there any other forumist who is interested in joining the team?

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Replies:
Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 24 2020 at 19:20
Thumbs DownLOL

very tempted to stay silent on this because I called this one.. but you deserve my opinion for what you started. and I'll give it I suppose. like it or not.

hate to say it .. but I did say it...  if this gets too complicated.. and the fun factor disappears quicker than a fart in a hurricane man. Do what you think best.. but I find the non prog more polls more interesting.. better paricipation.. actual discussions..and are simply more fun and we sort of became a crew. Started to get to know each through our selections. 

My two cents.. stick to what you started.. if others want to do prog polls .. let them. That IMO is not going to last too long.. for what I said before.. people just tossing off songs with little to no interation. Give it a couple of weeks before interest dries up.

I have little particular interest in them myself.. I spent years upon years listening discovering and evaluating prog..  the stuff tossed off in your polls has been more interesting musically. Prog may be prog but interesting if is very often not...and the guys (and ladies) have done a great job with selections.Some surprisingly good stuff that I probably would have never discovered before...and think that should be your primary concern.. and should continue week to week.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: June 24 2020 at 20:12
Maybe you're right, Micky.

We can leave things as they are, and continue spontaneously to open new Interactive polls every week. I really like what we have done so far, so the important thing is that it continues. 

If the others think it's okay to go on like this, it's ok for me.

-------------

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: June 24 2020 at 20:44
I'm in agreement about keeping it as it. The prog version should be its own entity and could evolve to have its own "core" of diehards, or it could fizzle. Hard to say after one but I wasn't really into it. 

I like having this one at once every week. Maybe it's the same group each week, maybe some new people come in and others drop. I do like this core group. 

It shouldn't ever feel like an obligation to anyone. People should feel free to only do one poll a week if they want, and can go between prog and nonprog if they only have time for one, or just stick here, or even skip and come back if that's what life gives you. If you have time and interest for both, do both. I'm in this one because it's been fun. If it's no longer fun, I'll bail.  

Date Posted: June 24 2020 at 20:47
Beer

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: June 24 2020 at 22:39
I just don't want those who want to join in feeling like they can't because they have obligations in life.  I am learning so much from all of you, which I so appreciate.  I like the lesser-known artists in prog getting attention.  I like the other genres getting attention from ears that are open through the artery of progressive music.  I really love the conversations, the critiques, the different viewpoints.  That's where I stand, as long as it stays interesting and no one is put out by not "winning."  We are all winners for hearing such a wide variety of music, from people who love it.

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 00:59
There's no problem having those polls together, some prefer the prog polls and some prefer the non, I personally enjoyed them both and I would glad to see you guys participating there and share your tastes. 
That prog poll was maybe the only place to talk about some of the more obscure stuff out there instead of having the same old "who do you prefer Genesis or KC?" poll, which might interest some but not quite to oldtimers around here.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 02:22
I'm enjoying both prog and non-prog polls (with the non-prog ones somewhat more fun) but as I've written before, I wouldn't complain about a slower pace. However micky really has a point there... things can become over-organised and that may take the fun out of things. If people want to do these polls at the pace of two a week, so be it, and I may give the odd one a miss. I mean, if I were the boss of everything, we'd have one a week, maybe mostly non-prog with the odd prog one thrown in once in a while, but then I'm not, and I have no ambitions to become the boss. I also think we don't need an official team for opening polls. I'd surely be up to do another one, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone who wants can do one and doesn't need to be member of an official team. Anyway, none of these opinions is particularly strong , so if things go in a different direction, I'll just accept it and won't complain.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 03:40
I agree with everyone who'd like to keep things as they are. Let's not turn this wonderful idea into a chore. The site is already very structured as it is, with genre teams, different levels of collaborators, and so on and so forth. Personally, I'll try to contribute to both the prog and non-prog polls, though at the moment I'm much more interested in the non-prog side of things. To be perfectly honest, most of the music in the first prog poll bored me - not because it was bad or even inherently boring, but mostly because at this time of my life I need to listen to something different.

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 04:39
Ok let's keep things as they are!

Thank you all.

Micky Beer

Btw
My fave beer is Pietra, produced on the island of Corsica, France.

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:40
Clap One a week is perfect!

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 08:50
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Thumbs Up

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 09:41
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Thumbs Up

Not quite sure whether you mean one a week overall or one non-prog plus one prog every week. I meant the former...

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 10:52
I had also wanted to do one. Originally it was to be an instrumental, but as that was then done, I want to do one that focuses on soundtrack/ library music.

I like the idea of one a week.

This has been an amazingly successful series. For ages I have wanted threads where we would listen to and comment on each other's musical choices which would facilitate discovery, broadening our horizons, and getting to understand each other's tastes better, but I felt that I never found a method that really worked satisfactorily. Kudos on this series.

I haven't put the effort into commenting on other people's choices rather than just listing my picks as I wish I had in the one that I've participated in. I always like topics that have conversational/ dialectic qualities, and polls where people do more than just mention their picks but say something about them. I'm not adept at reviewing or saying much about music. I was better when on the Eclectic team as I tried to share my thoughts on the suggestions. It's a challenge.

By the way, I do like having a set rule that we don't vote for our own choices. I'd rather vote for just two than cast a vote for my own choice, but that can be left up to the discretion of each topic starter I suppose.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 20:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I had also wanted to do one. Originally it was to be an instrumental, but as that was then done, I want to do one that focuses on soundtrack/ library music.

I like the idea of one a week.

This has been an amazingly successful series. For ages I have wanted threads where we would listen to and comment on each other's musical choices which would facilitate discovery, broadening our horizons, and getting to understand each other's tastes better, but I felt that I never found a method that really worked satisfactorily. Kudos on this series.

I haven't put the effort into commenting on other people's choices rather than just listing my picks as I wish I had in the one that I've participated in. I always like topics that have conversational/ dialectic qualities, and polls where people do more than just mention their picks but say something about them. I'm not adept at reviewing or saying much about music. I was better when on the Eclectic team as I tried to share my thoughts on the suggestions. It's a challenge.

By the way, I do like having a set rule that we don't vote for our own choices. I'd rather vote for just two than cast a vote for my own choice, but that can be left up to the discretion of each topic starter I suppose.

Greg you are welcome as new organizer of Interactive poll!

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 20:42

This has been one of the best things about it, and I think why we are drawn to it over other kinds of polls (where the emphasis is on "winning," rather than sharing).  Sorry I don't know your real life name, JamesBaldwin, but your writing is very eloquent, I so enjoyed what you wrote about the Einaudi piece.  You obviously understood the technical aspect behind the piece, yet also described so well the feeling of it.  And this is where the real heart of music lies (at least for me and perhaps because I am too dense to completely "get" theory).  There has been nothing in these polls that I've felt to dismiss out of hand.  Right now in the Latin American one, I have 9 to re-evaluate from my initial impressions, as what I've called "contenders." So thank you and echoing Logan's kudos to you.

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2020 at 21:54
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Thumbs Up

Not quite sure whether you mean one a week overall or one non-prog plus one prog every week. I meant the former...

one poll/one week

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 02:25

Thumbs Up

one poll/one week

This would mean that non-prog and prog polls need to be coordinated. Which is fine by me, I just realise that this didn't happen for the first prog one and it looked like it wouldn't happen for the second one either (for which you volunteered if I saw this correctly). Just saying...

By the way, I have catchy songs lined up for both prog and non-prog. Approve

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 02:39

Thumbs Up

one poll/one week

This would mean that non-prog and prog polls need to be coordinated. Which is fine by me, I just realise that this didn't happen for the first prog one and it looked like it wouldn't happen for the second one either (for which you volunteered if I saw this correctly). Just saying...

By the way, I have catchy songs lined up for both prog and non-prog. Approve

catchy non-prog in two weeks, there are a couple of other polls before mine.
Catchy prog - only 2 users gave me the ok. So I don't know if people want it or not. 

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 03:07

Catchy prog - only 2 users gave me the ok. So I don't know if people want it or not. 

To be honest, I'd personally only take an OK from the Master Coordinator and not wait for some kind of informal voting by others. Chances are people don't know that what you do depends on them approving it, and they may be happy to just get something without the need to think before about whether they'd like that.

Anyway, it's probably a good idea to put a few weeks between the two, even though my prog choice will then have to wait.

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 05:47

To be honest, I'd personally only take an OK from the Master Coordinator and not wait for some kind of informal voting by others. Chances are people don't know that what you do depends on them approving it, and they may be happy to just get something without the need to think before about whether they'd like that.

Anyway, it's probably a good idea to put a few weeks between the two, even though my prog choice will then have to wait.

Yes, Cristi, after the next mathman's poll, the poll about catchy songs is welcome. 

The spirit that animates the Interactive Polls is that everyone can participate and propose himself as coordinator of a new poll, deciding, if he wants, a theme (the theme is optional) as long as it is vast. 

So VIVA catchy songs poll!

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 05:57
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

This has been one of the best things about it, and I think why we are drawn to it over other kinds of polls (where the emphasis is on "winning," rather than sharing).  Sorry I don't know your real life name, JamesBaldwin, but your writing is very eloquent, I so enjoyed what you wrote about the Einaudi piece.  You obviously understood the technical aspect behind the piece, yet also described so well the feeling of it.  And this is where the real heart of music lies (at least for me and perhaps because I am too dense to completely "get" theory).  There has been nothing in these polls that I've felt to dismiss out of hand.  Right now in the Latin American one, I have 9 to re-evaluate from my initial impressions, as what I've called "contenders." So thank you and echoing Logan's kudos to you.

My dear, thanks a lot for you words. You have deeply understood the intentions that led me to open the Interactive poll: to propose some songs that belong to our life story because they touched our heart, and see what effect they have on other forumists.

Btw, my name's Lorenzo, I write from Milano, Italy. The nickname James Baldwin is in homage to one of my favorite writers.

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

My dear, thanks a lot for you words. You have deeply understood the intentions that led me to open the Interactive poll: to propose some songs that belong to our life story because they touched our heart, and see what effect they have on other forumists.

Btw, my name's Lorenzo, I write from Milano, Italy. The nickname James Baldwin is in homage to one of my favorite writers.

Pleased to meet you, Lorenzo, cheers! Beer I mostly go by Nickie, much shorter than my forum name, which is just kind of a pun.  

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 08:23
yeah. my first name has been lost to prog history...

my favorite (upon meeting me at prog festivals.. numerous times)... 'oh.. you are Raff's husband'

yeah.. the price of sleeping with the sun man

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 09:17
My real name (as most know already) is Mike, but it has also been a pun for most people.  As for myself, I don't get it.  Confused

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 09:26

My real name (as most know already) is Mike, but it has also been a pun for most people.  As for myself, I don't get it.  Confused

Mike (1908-1929) was the name of the legendary Top Cat who guarded the gates of the British Museum. I assumed that's why you'd chosen the username "TCat" Wink

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 09:41
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Mike (1908-1929) was the name of the legendary Top Cat who guarded the gates of the British Museum. I assumed that's why you'd chosen the username "TCat" Wink

Hmmm....Well the username isn't quite that legendary.  It actually comes from Primus' "Tommy the Cat".  But, I'll allow any interpretation as long as it sounds good. 

P.S.  The cat in my profile pic has been my cat now since 2005.  His real name is MaCavity (taken from "Cats" of course, just stylized a bit differently).  Since he doesn't have fingers, he just tells me what to say and I type it in.  Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 10:05
If we're doing introductions, first name is George, some of my friends call me Geo for short. I am a mathman because I write and edit educational math products for print and digital, from Grade 3 math up through calculus. I think Lewian said he is a mathematician? I was a PhD student some 30 years ago but dropped out for personal reasons and fell into the field of educational publishing. With what I do, I work from home and have music (or NPR) on in the background all day long. 

Date Posted: June 26 2020 at 10:16
lot of mathematicians here.. dropped out myself twice.. the first was to serve my country as my father did and  to be the first on my block to have a confirmed kill.. then later when I went back to college I dropped out a semester short of my double in history and math.. mainly because I had no desire to be behind a desk and decided to do what I wanted.. not was expected of me and I wanted to be a blue collar grunt.

cost me a wife and marriage.. thorough it took 10 years for it to finally decompose.. but in a life of poor decisions.. it was the best I ever made. I was happy.. and loved what I did.  Fixing things... Blowing things up.. myself a few times.. burning sh*t down .. but never my own.. and meeting a lot of great people from very different backgrounds and upbringings than I had. I learned about myself in the miltary.. I learned a lot about life from others.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2020 at 14:53
I have a math background, too, and still do the occasional proof.

By the way, I have a nice idea for a theme, so when an open slot comes up, I can jump in (but I can wait). It's a surprise theme, can't say anything more than that.

Date Posted: June 30 2020 at 15:08
On the other hand, I can barely perform the four basic operationsOuch. One of my greatest regrets is not having learned more "real" math, but I suppose it's too late for that now.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I also have an idea for a topic, which will have to wait a few weeks. No hurry!

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 07:34
OK, so next week Greg (aka Logan) is doing soundtracks. Whenever it's possible, I'd like to do one on covers. As I said in my previous post, no hurry!

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 07:37
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

OK, so next week Greg (aka Logan) is doing soundtracks. Whenever it's possible, I'd like to do one on covers. As I said in my previous post, no hurry!

a round on covers is another great idea. Clap

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 07:41
and let me pipe in.. before those that have already one polls do another.. we should check with the regulars and ask if they want to do one.  People.. even here.. can be a bit shy in speaking up at times.  We don't want to trample them in our enthusiasm haha

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 07:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

and let me pipe in.. before those that have already one polls do another.. we should check with the regulars and ask if they want to do one.  People.. even here.. can be a bit shy in speaking up at times.  We don't want to trample them in our enthusiasm haha

any idea is welcome obviously
it's also not a matter of shyness, it's wanting to come up with an idea and when approved,  coordinate the whole thing. 

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 07:51
shyness, lack of an idea, or being trampled by the overly enthusiastic .. whatever the point is the same. The point being..  I'd like to make sure those that haven't done one get a chance to do so before those that have do them again. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 07:53

shyness, lack of an idea, or being trampled by the overly enthusiastic .. whatever the point is the same. The point being..  I'd like to make sure those that haven't done one get a chance to do so before those that have do them again. 

agreed, let's wait and see Thumbs Up

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 07:57
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 08:21
I think we talk a bit too much about future topics. I don't feel good about Logan saying he wanted to do soundtracks and the exchange because micky suddenly said soundtracks, too. I also think if somebody has a theme others shouldn't comment on that too much and make the one with the idea feel that they should do it a certain way. I'd prefer to have spots reserved for people, and then they can do whatever they want. It's Logan's turn and if he wants to do soundtracks he should, and if somebody else has the same idea later, tough luck.

I'm not going to tell you about my theme(s) in advance because I like surprises, and particularly I don't want these themes to be part of a general discussion and somebody wants to add this or that to the idea ... again, if somebody else decides to to the same thing before me, I've got to come up with a new idea, so be it.  

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 08:26

I'm not going to tell you about my theme(s) in advance because I like surprises, and particularly I don't want these themes to be part of a general discussion and somebody wants to add this or that to the idea ... again, if somebody else decides to to the same thing before me, I've got to come up with a new idea, so be it.  

The suspense is going to kill me. LOL
Make sure everyone wants a surprise theme.
Other than that, I'm looking forward to it. 

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 10:35

Well, I won't. I think it puts less presusre on people if nobody who proposes a theme thinks that everybody should want it.

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 10:40

Well, I won't. I think it puts less presusre on people if nobody who proposes a theme thinks that everybody should want it.

in theory, yes, I agree, practically, most people don't like surprises. 

well, everyone who has read this thread knows you are preparing a surprise poll. LOL

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 10:46
Cristi, I completely agree with the discussion you had with Pysch Paul about staying on topic within a thread.  I must admit that the guilty pleasure poll got a little off topic way too many times and it was a bit confusing for many wondering what they were supposed to vote on.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 11:18

I think we talk a bit too much about future topics. I don't feel good about Logan saying he wanted to do soundtracks and the exchange because micky suddenly said soundtracks, too. I also think if somebody has a theme others shouldn't comment on that too much and make the one with the idea feel that they should do it a certain way. I'd prefer to have spots reserved for people, and then they can do whatever they want. It's Logan's turn and if he wants to do soundtracks he should, and if somebody else has the same idea later, tough luck.

Sorry about that, Lewian. When I first mentioned wanting to do a soundtrack one (which was earlier than this topic) I had thought perhaps I should run that by Lorenzo. Same with mentioning doing a melancholic one -- that Tears For Ears idea. I might do a shocking one at some time, and that would work better as a surprise. Although I guess I just sort of spoiled the surprise, damn! I hadn't been quite sure how this series was being organised (who goes when). I don;t know how sudden it was, Micky was responding to me mentioning that I had planned to do soundtracks but might do a melancholic one instead. I thought I was up next in line and had said before that I was planning to do soundtracks. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned my plan at all, had thought Lorenzo (who has started and organised this) might want to know especially. Yes, I'm not the only one to mention the idea in advance of doing the poll, but perhaps Lorenzo might like to make it an expectation that we keep it secret. I'm fine following whatever he wants and will continue to make my own suggestions along the way (I do like the idea of each person having quite a high level of autonomy too when it comes to making and planning their own polls).

Nothing wrong with having multiple ones on the same thing. In the case of soundtracks there are so many that could be done. I do like surprises, and might like to do one down the road that is the aural equivalent of a, oh wait, I won't say. I have had quite a few ideas already for ones. I don't mind planning my choice in advance. It is more important and helpful to me that there is some planning when it comes to who starts what poll and when. I don't mind not sharing my ideas for polls in advance if it bothers anyone. I can see problems with reserving ideas, especially if they are many, and then one is "You shouldn't do that because I mentioned it first." I like that I had a discussion with Micky about it since he had a good plan that interests me and it will affect how I go about my poll. This should be fun, the brainstorming ideas can be part of the fun for me. The most enjoyable aspect of this series is the discussion and social element to me, which is what I like about forums generally. I certainly enjoy many surprises, and I enjoy twists. Always knowing what to expect would take much of the interest out of life. I wouldn't want my doctor to tell me when he expects me to die, that would be no fun. I'd rather be surprised by a lovely assortment of ladies and unexpectedly die from too much pleasure. Yes, my doctor may have warned me that too much sex is not a good thing for my health, but I wouldn't want that to stop me.

Anyway, I guess I will be starting the next poll on Monday, maybe it won't be quite what you expect and maybe it will. I commonly do like a sense of mystery myself.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think I'll excuse myself from making a poll. As I said, Micky can do that if he wants, it's just that I'd already been planning it out and had started writing it up. He plans to do a related one. I'd like to go about things a bit differently, but.... Please someone else take the next one, I don't think I will do one after all. I didn't know if I was up next, Lorenzo had not confirmed it, I had just thought from this topic that I was next in line and had cleared my idea with Lorenzo (wrong to think I should have, I expect).

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 11:53

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think I'll excuse myself from making a poll. As I said, Micky can do that if he wants, it's just that I'd already been planning it out and had started writing it up. He plans to do a related one. I'd like to go about things a bit differently, but if that makes anyone uncomfortable, not feel good, then I would rather not participate. Please someone else take the next one, I don't think I will do one after all. I didn't know if I was up next, Lorenzo had not confirmed it, I had just thought from this topic that I was next in line.

Just for the record, I liked your ideas as you were discussing them, I hope you'll reconsider and do either one or both and in the manner you like, if you change your mind.  

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 11:54

Cristi, I completely agree with the discussion you had with Pysch Paul about staying on topic within a thread.  I must admit that the guilty pleasure poll got a little off topic way too many times and it was a bit confusing for many wondering what they were supposed to vote on.
  I do agree that it did get difficult to sort it all out, that's why finally, I just went person by person, with everything they submitted and my stream of consciousness thoughts as I listened to each offering.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:04

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think I'll excuse myself from making a poll. As I said, Micky can do that if he wants, it's just that I'd already been planning it out and had started writing it up. He plans to do a related one. I'd like to go about things a bit differently, but if that makes anyone uncomfortable, not feel good, then I would rather not participate. Please someone else take the next one, I don't think I will do one after all. I didn't know if I was up next, Lorenzo had not confirmed it, I had just thought from this topic that I was next in line.

Just for the record, I liked your ideas as you were discussing them, I hope you'll reconsider and do either one or both and in the manner you like, if you change your mind.  

I'm definitely the kind of guy who likes to brainstorm ideas in conversation -- it infuriates my wife, who usually says, "Stop talking about it and just do it!" She's the pragmatic one of few words that wears the pants in the family, and I'm the more ideas driven one (ideas that rarely lead to anything). Her brother, who sadly is in hospital and has been told that he might have to have his foot amputated, called me a trophy husband (she's only three years older). My wife would disagree and call me the booby prize.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:09
I apologize to everyone but this last poll, which is also a wonderful example of discussion and mutual listening, has taken a long time, and recently for family reasons I have very little time. So I have not read all the messages well, also because not being my English excellent, it takes me more time than you to read everything, if I want to understand all the words well.

Having said that, I had remained that after mathman Cristi would open a poll on catchy songs, and then Greg (Logan) would open the next one. 

Perhaps, however, sorry for the repetition, I missed something and Cristi no longer wants to open the poll on catchy songs, and so go ahead with Greg. 

I would like to clarify for all the rules that I think is good to keep. 

Who opens the poll :

1) decides whether to give it a theme or not (the theme is an optional). I like the idea of a theme but sometimes we can go on without it.

2) decides whether to immediately put the songs on the list to vote or whether to do as we did with this last poll, which was very enriching for everyone , although clearly it took a long time for everyone 

3) if he decides to give a theme, ho should choose a vast gtheme, not too specific, so that everyone can participate. For example, if we take the soundtracks of American TV series as a theme, many of us Europeans would have difficulty participating. If, on the other hand, you choose a song or soundtrack of any film as a theme, I believe that the theme is quite vast and accessible to everyone.

Hope that the interactive polls will continue with this collaboration and friendship.

Thanks to all.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:12
Guys, sorry to be blunt, but I don't like the tone this discussion is taking. No one is trying to steal ideas from anyone else, or to jump the queue. Personally, I asked to be put in said queue for a future edition - future meaning next week, or three years from now. There is enough strife on the Internet without us starting to bicker for something that should be pleasurable, not a source of stress. 

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:13
^ I'm not bickering, in case it comes across that way to anyone, but my tone often could be improved. I am interested in everyone's ideas and don't think any less of anyone if I have a difference of approach or opinion. Well, I guess it does depend on the opinion, I don't respect all approaches or opinions -- I'm not that tolerant when it comes to intolerance for instance unless it's the kind of people and opinions which I feel I should not tolerate.... ;) I must admit I was a little surprised to see my name brought up here concerning my very friendly and amicable conversation with Micky in another thread, and it did make me feel a little uncomfortable, but I don't read malice or insensitivity in it. I don't want to bring the tone down of this most excellent series or make others feel uncomfortable, so if I went about things in a way perceived to be a less than positive way I thought maybe I should bow out. Negativity kills the fun, while camaraderie raises the spirits.

^ and ^^^ Well, okay, then I won't shirk such a task. I might not have as much time to be involved in the topic discussion as I would like.

Next poll on Monday, and Cristi did his Catchy songs poll (I may have misunderstood). EDIT: I see I did misunderstand.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:20
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I apologize to everyone but this last poll, which is also a wonderful example of discussion and mutual listening, has taken a long time, and recently for family reasons I have very little time. So I have not read all the messages well, also because not being my English excellent, it takes me more time than you to read everything, if I want to understand all the words well.

Having said that, I had remained that after mathman Cristi would open a poll on catchy songs, and then Greg (Logan) would open the next one. 

Perhaps, however, sorry for the repetition, I missed something and Cristi no longer wants to open the poll on catchy songs, and so go ahead with Greg. 

I would like to clarify for all the rules that I think is good to keep. 

I initially suggested the non-prog catchy round but someone suggested a catchy prog would be interesting as well so I did that first (thank you to all that participated Tongue).
But like I said, with the guilty pleasure round, a new catchy round seems rather redundant. If everyone wants the non-prog catchy songs round, tell me and we can do that as well. 

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:24
I strongly believe that a "catchy non-prog songs" poll would be incredibly interesting and fun.

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:27
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I strongly believe that a "catchy non-prog songs" poll would be incredibly interesting and fun.

I can do it after Logan's and Lewian's if you want me to. Tongue

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:30
I sure do want. Star

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:30

I don't mind if you and Lewian go before me. As long as I can complete mine before August I'm fine, or possibly in September (that might be hard). I have a few ideas lined up, and one of them might be very surprising.

By the way, a master list of poll done here would be useful. I can put that together tomorrow in this topic.

I won't call out any names, but there are several people at the forum I really hope give this a shot. I any others want to go before me, that's fine too. Hopefully all those who wish to participate will get a turn at some time,and hopefully some others will want to participate.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:38

I don't mind if you and Lewian go before me. As long as I can do mine before August I'm fine, or in September.

I would love the soundtracks round to be next TBH.
Lewian has also made me very curious. 

My round can wait a bit, I don't mind. 

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 12:41

I don't mind if you and Lewian go before me. As long as I can do mine before August I'm fine, or in September.

I would love the soundtracks round to be next TBH.
Lewian has also made me very curious. 

My round can wait a bit, I don't mind. 

Okay, thanks, next week would be easiest for me, and I'll be away in August (not for the whole month -- yes, travel plans despite the pandemic).

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:11
time to perhaps put a paw down here..

- TCat
- Lewian
- Micky
- Raff
- Tapfret
- Lorenzo
- Cristi
- Mathman

think that is everyone.. in a general order

Greg is taking next week..

there are several other regulars who have not.. Nickie.. Shadowy.. Doc...Anders.. they should have the chance to do one if they want

before we go back to the top. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:26
I'm not sure actually whether I'd be the next in line except Logan and Cristi.
I'm also sorry if my post on pre-discussion of poll themes led some people to feel a bit awkward. Actually I don't have problems with non-surprise themes. What I meant to address was that I think it gets complicated when themes are discussed in advance too much and people who offered something feel that maybe they should change it to something else or wait for longer because of that. I'd be very happy to have a Logan soundtrack poll next, because that saves us from discussing what else to do, which may not be so easy.

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:27
Ok, I'm in. I'll do a poll like "share your favourite song that Shadowyzard nominated in the previous polls". Thus I'll do mine after 20 polls or so, so that you all can nominate one awesomeness from my unmatched songs. I'll also add "all of them" option, and I'm sure that all of you will vote that one. Cool

Seriously though, count me in. Star

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:36

Ok, I'm in. I'll do a poll like "share your favourite song that Shadowyzard nominated in the previous polls". Thus I'll do mine after 20 polls or so, so that you all can nominate one awesomeness from my unmatched songs. I'll also add "all of them" option, and I'm sure that all of you will vote that one. Cool

Seriously though, count me in. Star

hah..  actually.. I had thoughts about doing a 'pick your fav' from previous polls thread.

Greg's Brazilian piece from the last poll was a monster favorite..and really dug it this week at work as part of my existing playlist... but you know... that song from early in the polls. Up With People..  that has remained stuck in head.. and mobile playlist since I heard it. A true mark of a great song

by far my favorite of the polls so far

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:36
OK, I'll do the covers whenever there is a free slot. No hurry at all! I enjoy contributing to these polls and discovering new music (or even revisiting old stuff I haven't listened to in ages). I would like to thank Lorenzo for this wonderful idea, which has breathed new life into the forum.

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:48

I'm not sure actually whether I'd be the next in line except Logan and Cristi.
I'm also sorry if my post on pre-discussion of poll themes led some people to feel a bit awkward. Actually I don't have problems with non-surprise themes. What I meant to address was that I think it gets complicated when themes are discussed in advance too much and people who offered something feel that maybe they should change it to something else or wait for longer because of that. I'd be very happy to have a Logan soundtrack poll next, because that saves us from discussing what else to do, which may not be so easy.

No worries, I wasn't really bothered, just rather surprised, which is a rather apt response for a post about surprises in a way. It might well over-complicate things, and, as I said, I can see problems with reserving ideas, especially if they are many, and then someone says something like "You shouldn't do that, or have done that, because I mentioned it first." We shouldn't be greedy, or egocentric, by trying to lay claim to lots of ideas, a lot of those ideas might not be stunningly original, daring or innovative, and others might well come up with the same ideas. The most important thing to me in this is that everybody who wants to try one gets their chance, and hopefully things are done in an orderly fashion.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:51

OK, I'll do the covers whenever there is a free slot. No hurry at all! I enjoy contributing to these polls and discovering new music (or even revisiting old stuff I haven't listened to in ages). I would like to thank Lorenzo for this wonderful idea, which has breathed new life into the forum.

Kudos to Lorenzo; by the bye, I was expecting more contribution, at least in the voting phase. In one of the earliest polls, the poll creator said that anyone can vote... It hasn't worked much, seemingly.

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:54
I can see potentially doing one, never created a poll before here, but hope someone can help me fix it if I don't format it correctly.  I would like to do non-prog  singer/songwriters, any country, any language (although if I don't know the language, would appreciate a translation to English, I think everyone here does speak that in common enough to communicate quite well).  I also have another idea, if someone has wanted to do this prior to when my "turn" would arise, if you've had it in mind and haven't expressed that.  I am not possessive of the idea, in other words.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:56
you got all the help you might need....and past experiences of us f**king up polls to fall back upon and learn from hahah.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 14:32

I can see potentially doing one, never created a poll before here, but hope someone can help me fix it if I don't format it correctly.  I would like to do non-prog  singer/songwriters, any country, any language (although if I don't know the language, would appreciate a translation to English, I think everyone here does speak that in common enough to communicate quite well).  I also have another idea, if someone has wanted to do this prior to when my "turn" would arise, if you've had it in mind and haven't expressed that.  I am not possessive of the idea, in other words.

Happy to read your idea because... I've got the same thought!

A poll made of songs written by singer/songwriters, with the text in English or translated in English.

Dear Nickie, you are welcome as Interactive Poll organizer. You can count on Micky and me if you need an helpful hand to format your next poll.

I take this opportunity to say here three of the many themes I have in mind: 1) songs from the sixties, including those included in the proto-prog category (as long as they do not belong to very famous groups: The Beatles, The Who, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix etc). 2) songs with a political or social content, or something like that. 3) songs written and sung by women.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 14:44
All excellent ideas as well, Lorenzo!  Thank you in advance for the offer of tech help if I need it when it's my turn.  Again, if the singer/songwriter thing was what Lewian (or anyone else who is in line ahead of me wants, I also have other ideas), so I consider that option open for now.  Also we may want to eventually return to some themes, esp if more people end up participating over time.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 14:45

you got all the help you might need....and past experiences of us f**king up polls to fall back upon and learn from hahah.
  Thank you, and well, mistakes are for learning tools!  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 14:50

Again, if the singer/songwriter thing was what Lewian (or anyone else who is in line ahead of me wants, I also have other ideas), so I consider that option open for now.  

I'm actually pretty confident nobody will use my idea first. So no, it wasn't that one, and I'm not worried about anything else coming up in the meantime. (If somebody else comes up with it before my turn, anyway, as I said, no problem, I'll do something else. And I won't even let you know. Wink)

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 15:33

Kudos to Lorenzo; by the bye, I was expecting more contribution, at least in the voting phase. In one of the earliest polls, the poll creator said that anyone can vote... It hasn't worked much, seemingly.

I think it may have gotten intimidating for new people to drop in. This last one had 19 songs to vote on and a lot of pages to go through. Also, there are some prog loyalists who might not want to listen to so much outside of prog.

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 15:44
I am looking forward to another one starting Monday. Soundtracks should be interesting.

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 16:33
yeah this week was a bit of rarity.. perhaps it was the new death by immersion format.  Most votes seem to be in by Saturday.  

A Monday start.. all week to listen as they come in.. set the options Friday night.. vote Saturday/Sunday.

I thought it was a big success.. a bit chaotic but let me tell you.. chaos is more fun than order. Sort of old school PA's there minus the bodies to be disposed of and pools of blood to pitch your butts into.  And you really handled it well George.. good thinking on your feet with the playlists. I wouldn't have thought of that myself. Once I saw what was happening and we were having displays of PA's projectile vomiting and rivers of diarrhea I would have merely taken the chosen options and started a 'true' polling thread. Your way I think was the better way rather than having to search through all those discarded pages of TP to find what you had to listen to for voting. 

Well done...well played George Clap

I am a bit of tech idiot.. I assume it was not hard to create a playlist right?

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 16:43
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I think it may have gotten intimidating for new people to drop in. This last one had 19 songs to vote on and a lot of pages to go through. Also, there are some prog loyalists who might not want to listen to so much outside of prog.

I think it is more the loyalist part.. we have generally seen about 15-20 per in each poll.  A core and a group of some who occasionally drop in depending on the subject I would guess. Perhaps if we went back to the free form suggestions we might get more participation and  suggestions but the themes.. on top of doing the alts ... seems like we got it good right now. I wouldn't change it. Right mix we have a great core group.. and a group of some good ones who might not play with us every week but still jump in when the urge or inspiration hits them. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 17:06
I think it might be a good idea to have YouTube playlists of all the songs we have submitted in the various polls so far. Once they're ready, we can post the links in a dedicated thread. It would be a great way to expose people to new music, even if not necessarily prog. The prog discussions on this forum have been stale for a long time, but there's life outside the boundaries of what most people consider "prog".

Date Posted: July 04 2020 at 17:54

Well done...well played George Clap

I am a bit of tech idiot.. I assume it was not hard to create a playlist right?

Thanks Mickey!

Yeah, not hard. On a computer, click on the top bar of the posted video in thread. And it should open in new browser window in YouTube. Then there is a Save button at bottom right of video. Click on that you can add to an existing playlist or create a new one.

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 16:58
Hi to all,

After PM'ing with Lorenzo (jamesbaldwin), I dediced to copy-paste what I wrote to him about my idea here. Feel free to add your thoughts, I might be as flexible as a contortionist. Wink

I was planning to create a poll which will be about thematic music in general. To be more precise, any musical piece from any type of cultural production -like theatrical productions, games, movies, TV programmes/shows, documentaries, stand-up comedies, operas or anything that utilizes music for thematic purposes- as long as it carries a thematic value. I'll try to convince people to abstain from using standart songs, and instead use thematic musical outputs. And, coming up with a Youtube video embodying a scene/scenes accompanying the music will be encouraged. 

How do you see this idea, please let me know.

Özgür

P.S. I can wait for aeons, for my turn. You know, I'm a wizard and I clandestinely learned the secret of immortality. But, that way, your lifespan might not be enough to see my unprecedentedly amazing poll. So, instead, and for your own good, I can wait for weeks or months, if someone has already booked for being the next(s), or want to do it soon/er.

*humour intended in the post script. Tongue

EDIT: As Lewian stated, and I agree and having already had mentioned to Lorenzo my hesitation about my turn coming up after Logan's and micky's (prospective) "theme related" polls. I see it more proper my turn coming after several weeks.

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 17:04

Hi to all,

After PM'ing with Lorenzo (jamesbaldwin), I dediced to copy-paste what I wrote to him about my idea here. Feel free to add your thoughts, I might be as flexible as a contortionist. Wink

I was planning to create a poll which will be about thematic music in general. To be more precise, any musical piece from any type of cultural production -like theatrical productions, games, movies, TV programmes/shows, documentaries, stand-up comedies, operas or anything that utilizes music for thematic purposes- as long as it carries a thematic value. I'll try to convince people to abstain from using standart songs, and instead use thematic musical outputs. And, coming up with a Youtube video embodying a scene/scenes accompanying the music will be encouraged. 

Özgür

It can work, but it is pretty close to the soundtrack theme, so I hope this only comes up after a number of other themes (which probably isn't that much of an issue because a number of people are on the waiting list if I'm right).

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 17:06

time to perhaps put a paw down here..

- TCat
- Lewian
- Micky
- Raff
- Tapfret
- Lorenzo
- Cristi
- Mathman

think that is everyone.. in a general order

Greg is taking next week..

there are several other regulars who have not.. Nickie.. Shadowy.. Doc...Anders.. they should have the chance to do one if they want

before we go back to the top. 

I think it's time to to expand our team to Snicolette (Nickie) and Shadowyzard.

So here we are:

- jamesbaldwin
- TCat
- Micky
- Raff
- Lewian
- Mathman
- Logan
- Tapfret (Interactive prog polls until now)
- Cristi
- Snicolette
- Shadowyzard

Who had booked to open the next polls?

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 17:08
Lewian is next after Logan's soundtracks poll. 

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 17:11

Hi to all,

Özgür

It can work, but it is pretty close to the soundtrack theme, so I hope this only comes up after a number of other themes (which probably isn't that much of an issue because a number of people are on the waiting list if I'm right).

I completely agree and did mention my hesitation about doing it right after Logan's and micky's "theme related" polls. Thank you.

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 17:12

Hi to all,

Özgür

Yes, I remember, in no particular order:

- You (Lewian)
- Cristi (catchy songs)
- Micky (TV soundtracks)
- Snicolette

Then Özgür?

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 17:21
There can be some others before my turn, because if we do in Lorenzo's suggested order, mine and micky's will be too close. Mine will encompass TV soundtracks, as you can guess, albeit only thematic ones.

Theme music is the common definition, but I said "thematic music", as I want us to nominate musical pieces that are directly about the subjects or scenes accompanying the visuals. I guess it can also encompass audial things, like radio programmes. What I'll really insist on not to do is to include "standart" songs. Standart is a very general and unspecific term, but I hope you understand what I mean. For instance, it can be an instrumental theme, supporting a scene in a theatrical performance; or directly a part with vocals from an opera. I just don't find it proper to nominate a typical song off a soundtrack album. Visuals are not too necessary, if you think that a theme music makes you feel the vibe of the part that is used in the product. But a brief explanation about in which context the thematic music you nominated is used should help.

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 17:29
Here, actually we had written first Lewian then Cristi. 

Then Snicolette had offered to join the team and open her own poll. And Raff a poll made of cover.

Instead Micky's poll was discussed in the Interactive Polls not here. 

So, find an agreement between you.

No problem if Micky and Ozgur are one afte the other.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 17:36
No problem for me too, but I still hesitate about it. I request to wait until other people also say their opinions.

Date Posted: July 09 2020 at 17:55
I have no problem waiting....I am very sure I was not up next, however. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 11:19

Sorry, this isn't optimal because I have a big work thing coming up next week. I'd be happy to leave the next one to somebody else and take the then following slot.

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 03:50

Sorry, this isn't optimal because I have a big work thing coming up next week. I'd be happy to leave the next one to somebody else and take the then following slot.

Who will open the next poll? 

I think it would be a good idea to plan the next organizers. 

Considering that we open one poll a week, and that some members have already offered, tell me if it can be fine.

1) Next week: Micky.

2) Then, Lewian (7/20)

3) Cristi (7/27)

4) Snicolette (8/03)

5) Shadowyzard (8/10)

6) Raff (8/17)

7) TCat (8/24)

8) Jamesbaldwin (8/31)

How about it?

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 05:43
I'm OK with doing it in mid-August. As I said, no hurry! Micky will chime in soon.

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 05:43
Clap very good Lorenzo...  I thought someone... that being you.. needed to lay out a schedule.

Sure I'll do it... but...

Mike hasn't done one since the second IIRC...  Nickie and Shadowy haven't done one yet period.

If either of them want to do next week..  they should.. if not I will do next weeks.

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 06:05
^ micky, dear, better to have a gap between yours and mine, because our subjects have an intersecting aspect. Lorenzo's suggestion seems fine to me.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 06:23

Mike hasn't done one since the second IIRC...  Nickie and Shadowy haven't done one yet period.
Guess I don't count, aye? My tastes aren't refined enough for this group? Wow.

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 06:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Everyone counts. Did you say you wanted to participate? If you did in one of the team threads, your proposal might have been overlooked because of the sheer number of posts in the last two polls. As to your tastes not being sophisticated, I won't even qualify your statement with a response. I don't understand why you have to be so belligerent about everything. This is not ProgressiveEars, and everyone is welcome.

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 06:33

I guess we are (Nickie and I) included because the kind hearted micky suggested that. But, it has been asked "anyone willing?" type of questions before. I don't think micky didn't mention your name for any obvious reason. He must have forgotten it. Or, as far as I remember, he gave our names as examples of the the regulars who haven't created interactive polls yet. Embarrassed

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 06:36
not mentioned???  hmmm

a) not on the f**king list....
b) not a participant in the team thread
c) never seen ask to do another

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 06:45

Ah, this is a total misunderstanding. micky was talking about the ones "inside" the team, pretty confident that if you request for being a part of the team, you will also be included.

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 06:53
goddamn right... 

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 07:25
Lorenzo did ask in the first post "3) Is there any other forumist who is interested in joining the team?" I offered my services and got my chance.

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 08:13
By the way, I would like to offer to do another one in the future. I think I learnt a bit about what would work better from my initial attempt. I can;t say exactly when that will be (hopefully in October), but I have a few ideas. I wont be able to participate in everyone's poll (the nominating is easy, but the listening through and commenting takes time). I am going on a trip in August, and work means that I get very busy at times, but it's inconsistent and sometimes I get asked to do a project at the last minute and I have to scurry. I go periods with very little work and then I'm full bore, instead of just being full boring. I am much slower at doing my job than I used to be. I can't confirm when I would be able to do the next one, but I would like to do another at some time.

Grumpyprogfan, did you want to do one after the others that are queued up? I could go again after that maybe (if you do one). Partially because I have not been as consistent in these as various others, nor do I expect to be, nor added the same value in my comments or in discussion, nor have I helped to organise this, but still got my chance which was very nice, I would expect to be lower in priority than others (not just those that are already lined up to do one).

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 08:37
I am fine with Lorenzo's schedule, for my inclusion.  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk