Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123452
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 06:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Aerosol Grey Machine vs Renaissance
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: The Aerosol Grey Machine vs Renaissance
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 12:00
Two wildly different bands and sounds but corner stones of prog. Which debute of 1969 do you like and why.

Can they compared in any sence, in most part no but in small parts perhaps.

Both are early stages of prog and they are full on from the start.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 12:51
VDGG, easy. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 12:58
I like both albums, but I'm definitely a much bigger fan of Renaissance than I am of VDGG.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 13:21
Interesting. Two very good albums but both in my view in some distance of the best the two bands were capable of (well, in Renaissance's case that other band with the same nameWink). Need to listen again to know what I prefer.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 13:26
An interesting poll, both are albums before they quite found their sound or form some would say, and neither would varios people consider quite canonical in a way. I like both a lot, but the VdGG is the one I'm more likely to return to even though the non-Haslam Renaissance album appeals more to me than many, including many who enjoy later Renaissance. For a while that was my favourite Renaissance album. Another one that I find interesting is Supertramp's debut which some have derided (I love "Try Again").

This is definitely one of my very favourite Renaissance tracks, and most Renaissance fans I've come across don;t seem to refer to the debut album much (being much more into the Annie Haslam ones). I like how different it is to other later ones and the psychedelicish qualities.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: arturfd
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 15:10
John Hawken X Hugh Banton is a very good fighting.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 17:42
VDGG all the way.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 18:35
Renaissance for sure.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 18:54
I don't know the Renaissance album, but I have to vote for my team... VdGG it is.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 10 2020 at 23:45
Both wonderful albums.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 00:23
VDGG!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 01:26
Really like both, but I think Renaissance is already full blood prog album, when VdGG went into it fully in their next album. So it´s Renaissance. I also like it little more.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 01:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I like both albums, but I'm definitely a much bigger fan of Renaissance than I am of VDGG.

Ooh yes

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 01:34
"Renaissance" - Renaissance

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 02:44
Renaissance by light years.
Their initial line up's reincarnation (the band Illusion) is also well worth a listen.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 04:20
I really like that VdGG album!

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 04:31
Easily Renaissance. Renaissance is an excellent debut. The Aerosol Grey Machine is a weak album for the standards of VDGD. Actually it's the only weak point of them in the 70's.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Date Posted: July 11 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

Easily Renaissance. Renaissance is an excellent debut. The Aerosol Grey Machine is a weak album for the standards of VDGD. Actually it's the only weak point of them in the 70's.
Late-60’s !
I’ve had the Renaissance LP for decades and hardly spin it. I do love Kings and Queens, but the rest is a bit of a chore for me. I like the 2nd release, Illusion, more.
VDGG are just classic through and through.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:36
Ultimately I go for VDGG. I love Wanderer and Kings and Queens but don't get that much out of the rest of the Renaissance album. The VDGG album is more consistent and has a proper highlight., too, with Necromancer.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:35
Possibly my least favorite song from each lp...but I prefer Renaissance in this case.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Possibly my least favorite song from each lp...but I prefer Renaissance in this case.
Wow ! Least favourite songs.....

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Ultimately I go for VDGG. I love Wanderer and Kings and Queens but don't get that much out of the rest of the Renaissance album. The VDGG album is more consistent and has a proper highlight., too, with Necromancer.

Yeah, Necromancer is my favourite track from the album even though Octopus is perhaps the track most suggestive of their future.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:05
I quite like The Aerosol Grey Machine, and lately have indeed been enjoying it more. For me, the only reason it is placed so low down my list of favourite VdGG albums is that the other albums are so good.

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:08
Banton is on fire during Octopus.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:12
Two words: John Hawken.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: August 08 2020 at 20:41
I voted for Renaissance because it was Keith Relf's Renaissance, and an amazing album.  I refuse to recognize the existence of the other Renaissance (upstarts!) despite their popularity and longevity.  Otherwise, I would have voted for VdGG, one of my very favorite bands.  But their debut didn't really show us what they could do.  It took them a couple of albums to get up to speed.  Unlike Keith Relf's Renaissance who hit the ground running at full tilt.  I saw them once, at the Fillmore East.  They were amazing live.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk