URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123474
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 10:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes - Drama vs 90125
Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Subject: Yes - Drama vs 90125
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 03:18
 vs 

Inspired by the other "Post-70's Yes Album" thread; we have these two divisive monsters of post-70's Yes epicness!

Which one do you prefer - and why?

GO!!!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Replies:
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 03:34
I'm voting for the Drama album, because I think Trevor "Buggles" Horn did a very  commendable job of stepping into Jon Anderson's shoes for one album, despite what some of the critics said. Thumbs Up

I might even post another Yes thread as a tribute to the Drama album. Wink

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 04:02
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm voting for the Drama album, because I think Trevor "Buggles" Horn did a very  commendable job of stepping into Jon Anderson's shoes for one album, despite what some of the critics said. Thumbs Up

It's a good album and I agree Horn did a good job, although he did come unstuck at the live shows - I remember him going red in the face trying to reach some of the higher notes of the Anderson songs during the tour.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 04:17
This is a tough one. Although I've been familiar with 90125 since it was released, I've only been familiar with Drama for a few years. Thus, while Drama was surprisingly different as well as quite impressive, 90125 has a level of familiarity that is hard to overlook. I have always liked 90125, and feel that it is somewhat underrated by prog fans. So, I won't vote yet and will take some time to consider this.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 04:17
I really like both albums, but liked always more 90125. Horn was as good as later singers, but there are just better songs in 90125 as a whole.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 05:37
Quite a tough choice. I love both. I'll vote for 90125. It will need the votes!

90125 is one of the best albums of the 80's IMO. The album oozes confidence and optimism, and every track stands up. The weakest track is probably OOALH, and that doesn't irritate me nearly as much as half the drek Genesis released in the 80's. I like this incarnation of Yes, although the follow up was relatively weak IMO.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:02
Still Drama. All the way. But respect to 90125, it’s a goodie.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:21
90125 but i love Drama too

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:34
Drama by a mile.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:39
I'm not particularly fond of either, though I agree they're not bad albums. For some reason, I don't find the Yes magic in either album.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 06:59
Drama has good dharma.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 07:13
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's a good album and I agree Horn did a good job, although he did come unstuck at the live shows - I remember him going red in the face trying to reach some of the higher notes of the Anderson songs during the tour.
Yes, I recall Trevor Horn occasionally got unfairly booed at by the audience during the Drama tour. Confused

Maybe that's why Trevor Horn went back to being a producer - and a very good one too - after the drama of the Drama tour. Smile

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 07:14

90125 both are incredible

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 07:28
I like both but voting for Drama.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I'm not particularly fond of either, though I agree they're not bad albums. For some reason, I don't find the Yes magic in either album.

I know what you are saying---but voted for the album that has one of a kind genius (who can do anything) on guitar---Howe. Even if the music isn't 100% magic its always great to hear him play.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:06
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I know what you are saying---but voted for the album that has one of a kind genius (who can do anything) on guitar---Howe. Even if the music isn't 100% magic its always great to hear him play.
You make a good point here. Howe's guitar always makes a great difference, even though the music might not be up to par.

Posted By: stewe
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:19

I love Steve Howe's guitar, from The Yes Album to Relayer, these are among my favorite guitar albums of all time, I love the feeling, the tone, but..... as a guitarist myself, I disagree he can do anything with guitar. On the other hand, especially in later period (80s and on..) he is quite tedious, not inventive anymore (he is obviously in it only for money), his live playing is often sloppy and generally he is stuck mostly in his Chet Atkins's (albeit upgraded) country-tinged guitar. He cannot play clear fast staccato or adjust himself for heavier styles. He is versatile in terms of changing plethora of different string instruments but not much in style range. Technically he is overrated imo, his parts are not difficult to master (although his tone and writing style in early period are still very unique).

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trevorrabin/?chartstyle=basic10" rel="nofollow">

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:40
"Drama", of course.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:53
90125 bien sur!

Posted By: questionsneverknown
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 10:30
Drama is up there with my favourite albums by Yes.
I liked Beverly Hills 90210/90125/OU812 at the time, but don't tend to listen to it much these days.

-------------
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 10:39
I'm waiting for the Tormato  vs. Open Your Eyes poll. LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 11:07

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 11:16
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

I love Steve Howe's guitar, from The Yes Album to Relayer, these are among my favorite guitar albums of all time, I love the feeling, the tone, but..... as a guitarist myself, I disagree he can do anything with guitar. On the other hand, especially in later period (80s and on..) he is quite tedious, not inventive anymore (he is obviously in it only for money), his live playing is often sloppy and generally he is stuck mostly in his Chet Atkins's (albeit upgraded) country-tinged guitar. He cannot play clear fast staccato or adjust himself for heavier styles. He is versatile in terms of changing plethora of different string instruments but not much in style range. Technically he is overrated imo, his parts are not difficult to master (although his tone and writing style in early period are still very unique).

Upgraded from Chet Atkins? Yikes! Chet was the man! It’s true though that if you’re a Steve Howe fan, you essentially dig country. You just may not realize it yet.      There is much common ground amongst Chet Atkins, Mark Knopfler, Les Paul, Mary Ford, and Steve Howe. It’s not really the country music of today, which I’m sorry - I don’t really like much of it. But, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, and Mary Ford were huge trailblazers on guitar, and they blended numerous styles, including classical, bluegrass, jazz, folk, Spanish, etc. It was at times, a very complex version of country. There is a video of Les Paul and Chet Atkins trading licks on a talk show. Fast arpeggios and all sorts of fun. Chet could even pull off Recuerdos de la Alhambra in concert, which is an extremely difficult tremolo picking piece. Steve Howe was not an upgrade of Chet Atkins. Sheeeeesh. They might have come from a similar place, but (country music fans) each was great in his own way.

https://youtu.be/xut3N2O42Ho" rel="nofollow - Link to Les Paul and Chet Atkins

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 11:50
90125 (AOR) v Drama (Buggles buggered), I will go for the one with Howe on...both albums will never pollute my eardrums whilst I have so much better yes to spin...

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 12:05
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Upgraded from Chet Atkins? Yikes! Chet was the man! It’s true though that if you’re a Steve Howe fan, you essentially dig country. You just may not realize it yet.      There is much common ground amongst Chet Atkins, Mark Knopfler, Les Paul, Mary Ford, and Steve Howe. It’s not really the country music of today, which I’m sorry - I don’t really like much of it. But, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, and Mary Ford were huge trailblazers on guitar, and they blended numerous styles, including classical, bluegrass, jazz, folk, Spanish, etc. It was at times, a very complex version of country. There is a video of Les Paul and Chet Atkins trading licks on a talk show. Fast arpeggios and all sorts of fun. Chet could even pull off Recuerdos de la Alhambra in concert, which is an extremely difficult tremolo picking piece. Steve Howe was not an upgrade of Chet Atkins. Sheeeeesh. They might have come from a similar place, but (country music fans) each was great in his own way.

Yes! HUGE! Jerry Reed kicked ass, too! He was a beast. Chet was a monster, though, with that mind-blowing sweep-picking!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 12:24
In a way both could be considered fake Yes. However, I voted for Drama because it's closer to my favorite kind of Yes. However, 90125 was the first one I bought and really paid attention to so it's kind of special to me. However, it's not really representative of what Yes was known for initially. I still like it but it's mostly a nostalgia thing for me these days(same with the first Asia album).

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 12:47
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

Drama is up there with my favourite albums by Yes.
I liked Beverly Hills 90210/90125/OU812 at the time, but don't tend to listen to it much these days.

Dude I was literally thinking of that exact Van Halen album earlier, and how I can NEVER REMEMBER the damn numbers, lmao.

Good to see so many votes for DramaWink

-------------

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 12:52
Drama.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 13:03
Another easy one.

Drama 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 16:54
Drama any day of the week. 

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 17:07
90125!!!

Not fake Yes!

There. I think I countered them all. I love Drama (see other thread) but 90125 kicks booty!

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 17:15

90125!!!

Not fake Yes!

There. I think I countered them all. I love Drama (see other thread) but 90125 kicks booty!

No, just the one the really young people like. LOL

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 17:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

90125!!!

Not fake Yes!

Maybe they need to make some Changes. It Can Happen you know! Well, I’ll Leave It at that.

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 17:59

Maybe they need to make some Changes. It Can Happen you know! Well, I’ll Leave It at that.

I don't know. Does It Really Happen?

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 18:57
It happens to everyone eventually (well played, though )

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 18:58

90125!!!

Not fake Yes!

Does it really happen though? 

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 19:07
It can happen today!

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 19:27

It can happen today!

But only if you shoot high and aim low.

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 20:28
It looks like I’m Running out of options.

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 21:14
Now Hold On. I Am Waiting for this to end. It's like an Endless Dream.

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 21:27

It looks like I’m Running out of options.

It's ok. Someone has to final eyes it. 

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 22:58
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I'm waiting for the Tormato  vs. Open Your Eyes poll. LOL
I thought few seconds to make it, but then noticed Tormato would absolutely win (I would have voted Open Your Eyes). I believe there are people who hate Open Your Eyes even never heard it.

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 23:27
If you asked me 20 years ago I would have said Drama.  But after that I all in on 90125.  Both a quite good but I still will play 90125 but Drama never enters my mind when I want to listen to Yes anymore. 

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 23:40
I rank 90125 about as highly as Invisible Touch, which is not very high. Drama on the other hand is one of their better albums.

Date Posted: July 13 2020 at 23:58
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I rank 90125 about as highly as Invisible Touch, which is not very high. Drama on the other hand is one of their better albums.

I would tend to agree. 90125 is middle of the pack Yes in my book. The Ladder, Magnification, Talk, Big Generator and ABWH are all more interesting albums with much of the depth of old Yes that 90125 lacks.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 00:22

90125!!!

Not fake Yes!

How is 90125 also not "fake" YES? Lol.

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 00:32

I would tend to agree. 90125 is middle of the pack Yes in my book. The Ladder, Magnification, Talk, Big Generator and ABWH are all more interesting albums with much of the depth of old Yes that 90125 lacks.

Crazy, I feel the same way!

There's some hella catchy tunes on 90125, but outside of Owner of A Lonely Heart, not much sticks with me (Ok, ok, Leave It rules too!). Cinema is a great little instrumental, but that could've been anyone!

Drama is like Chris Squire unchained.

This is exactly how my mind sees it as well. I enjoy it miles ahead of Invisible Touch, though; it just marks the end of what I'd call traditional Yes music. Drama is like Yes reinventing themselves in all the right ways IMHO!

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 01:05

There are not any as cheesy songs in 90125 as the title song of Invisible or "In Too Deep". On the other hand I really like "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", "Land Of Confusion", "Domino" & "the Brazilian".

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 01:25
How can anybody deny that 90125 is AOR? Like feckin flat earthers.. or knobs, like young earth creationists...

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 01:30
And Drama has a stench of cheesy eighties pop that cannot be denied, obviously the bass comes to the fore as a lot of it sounds like level 42....with buggles cheesiness bolted on....

-------------

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 03:09
I like Drama a lot and think it was a successful attempt to update the established Yes style. Does it Really Happen? sounds like old-style Prog mixed with New Wave synth pop/rock and it actually works. 90125 is an enjoyable album with some good songs, but it's still basically Yes going AOR and I don't play it as much as Drama.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 03:26

90125 is leagues ahead of Invisible Touch. IT is a pop album. I struggle to even recognise it as Genesis at times. 90125 is a groundbreaking album; brilliantly played melodic hard rock with Trevor Horn/Art of Noise style production, is arguably more progressive and refreshing than anything on Drama, which basically sounds like the Buggles jamming with Chris Squire. Invisible Touch is measurably mostly rubbish.

That said I do love Drama, I'm just fighting the corner for the unloved masterpiece that is 90125. It would be in my top 5 Yes albums..    and to be fair Drama would probably there too. I like the Buggles, what can I say..

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 03:44
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

There are not any as cheesy songs in 90125 as the title song of Invisible or "In Too Deep". On the other hand I really like "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", "Land Of Confusion", "Domino" & "the Brazilian".
Taking away the now dated production, above said tracks are pretty faithful Genesis compositions.
I’d love to hear the Invisible Touch album songs, played with the Selling England instrumentation and production. It would be an interesting result methinks.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 04:59
^ can SEBTP be mentioned in the same thread as IT? Completely non overlapping magesteria musically speaking...

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 05:22
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ can SEBTP be mentioned in the same thread as IT? Completely non overlapping magesteria musically speaking...
Yes, but, how much better would, say, Tonight Tonight Tonight sound with Hammond, Mellotron, Arp synth, Rickenbacker bass, natural drums, Hackett Guitar etc.......??
P.S. sorry for derailing the topic.....

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 05:54
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Taking away the now dated production, above said tracks are pretty faithful Genesis compositions.
I’d love to hear the Invisible Touch album songs, played with the Selling England instrumentation and production. It would be an interesting result methinks.
To me "In Too Deep" is lot cheesier than "More Fool Me". But you´re partly right, I think it´s those electric drums and sounds that irritate me in "Invisible Touch" song and also in album generally. Heard that title song not a long ago from the radio and it wasn´t that bad anymore.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:19
It's the sound of IT that lets it down the most. There's probably three strong songs on that album, but the whole thing sounds like it's being played by a bog standard 80's sequencer. When you consider the rich drum sound Collins used to produce from Trick through to Duke, to be reduced to that generic 80's tuppaware sound is depressing.

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:38
Drama is an excellent album, both for Yes catalogue and for 1980 prog, why some peoples complain about, is beyond me.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:42
Is this poll symptomatic of the a switch of the demographic? I'd much rather rate supposedly derivative copy symphonic prog than the eighties sh*te that seems to have an uncomfortably large fanbase in the new demograph....

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:23

My views exactly.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:47

Is this poll symptomatic of the a switch of the demographic? I'd much rather rate supposedly derivative copy symphonic prog than the eighties sh*te that seems to have an uncomfortably large fanbase in the new demograph....

No. I've been here donkeys years, and there's always been some who appreciate 80's 'sh*te' Me included.

With the exception of Invisible Touch

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:54
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

This is a tough one. Although I've been familiar with 90125 since it was released, I've only been familiar with Drama for a few years. Thus, while Drama was surprisingly different as well as quite impressive, 90125 has a level of familiarity that is hard to overlook. I have always liked 90125, and feel that it is somewhat underrated by prog fans. So, I won't vote yet and will take some time to consider this.

I gave 90125 another listen and realised how much I enjoy the album as a whole. So I'm voting in favour of familiarity. Although Drama impressed me when I first heard it, it hasn't managed to compete well against the music I currently listen to.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:12
Squire’s Ricky never sounded better than on Drama.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:39
Would've voted for 90125 from when I heard it the first time until a few years ago, but now Drama appeals to me much more.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 09:13
The one with numbers, it's a killer Pop album.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 09:55
90125. Drama is not bad, but most tracks are quite hit and miss.

-------------

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 10:02
Surely 90125.

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Posted By: Machinemessiah
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 11:01

I've always been reluctant to dip into albums like 'Going for the One', '90125', 'Big Generator', etc..  (being a relatively  purist/hard core progger, I always have been a little afraid in tackling them..  (don't wanna break the spell of what 'Yes' means or has meant to me (imo); though, well, ya know, that goes changing with time.. it doesn't have the importance once had) and also now that is virtually free checking them out..), so I don't have a thorough idea of many of them (in part a reason for being on PA). 

Did the duely re-run on 90125 though.

The past round, that said, www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122081" rel="nofollow - Drama vs. Going for the One , sure taught me something though.. 'Going..' has goodies in there.. has a good sound generally, 'Parallels' a very welcomed dynamic piece, with Squire's bass adding heaviness and conversing nicely with the echoed and chorused catchy singing, as well as Howe's guitar and the incessant and loud keyboards (not changing my Drama vote though Approve, at least not yet..). 'Turn of the Century's fair too.. The hugely praised 'Awaken' barely does anything for me.

So, is Drama for me..  I don't put it on the same level of the past Yes' masterpieces, but it sure has a clear prog intent on it (stained with 80's cheesiness in some places, but it is there..).

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 11:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Squire’s Ricky never sounded better than on Drama.

Truth.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 12:13

Yes, I recall Trevor Horn occasionally got unfairly booed at by the audience during the Drama tour. Confused

Maybe that's why Trevor Horn went back to being a producer - and a very good one too - after the drama of the Drama tour. Smile
I saw a performance of the Drama tour. It was different, but I agree that Trevor Horn did not deserve to be booed. He gave quite a good performance.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 13:17
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I saw a performance of the Drama tour. It was different, but I agree that Trevor Horn did not deserve to be booed. He gave quite a good performance.

I have heard also there were audiences that hadn´t noticed the line-up change, because they hadn´t advertised that at all.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

No. I've been here donkeys years, and there's always been some who appreciate 80's 'sh*te' Me included.

With the exception of Invisible Touch

There's probably more than we think. Some of them just don't speak up because they are afraid of being shamed by people like Mr. M27. Might just be afraid that more people on here actually have diverse musical tastes and definitions of progressive/prog and don't subscribe to a purist view.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 18:28
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

I've always been reluctant to dip into albums like 'Going for the One', '90125', 'Big Generator', etc..  (being a relatively  purist/hard core progger, I always have been a little afraid in tackling them..  (don't wanna break the spell of what 'Yes' means or has meant to me (imo); though, well, ya know, that goes changing with time.. it doesn't have the importance once had) and also now that is virtually free checking them out..), so I don't have a thorough idea of many of them (in part a reason for being on PA). 

The past round, that said, www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122081" rel="nofollow - Drama vs. Going for the One , sure taught me something though.. 'Going..' has goodies in there.. has a good sound generally, 'Parallels' a very welcomed dynamic piece, with Squire's bass adding heaviness and conversing nicely with the echoed and chorused catchy singing, as well as Howe's guitar and the incessant and loud keyboards (not changing my Drama vote though Approve, at least not yet..). 'Turn of the Century's fair too.. The hugely praised 'Awaken' barely does anything for me.

So, is Drama for me..  I don't put it on the same level of the past Yes' masterpieces, but it sure has a clear prog intent on it (stained with 80's cheesiness in some places, but it is there..).

Tempus Fugit is a killer track.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 19:11
With a handle like Machine Messiah, I think we can all pretty much guess who you voted for. LOL!!
I still think you should give 90125 a spin sometime. It’s always good to branch out a bit. Of course, it is not the Yes that you know, just like the Howe version was so different from the Banks version. If you’re eating a carob bar, and if you expect it to taste like chocolate, you’ll be disappointed. But, if you enjoy it for what it is - carob - you might find that you like it. Trevor Rabin is not Steve Howe, never will be, and really shouldn’t be expected to sound anything like him. He sounds exactly like who he is, and good on him for staying true to himself. I do think they should have changed the band’s name, which is what was supposed to have happened. Rabin originally signed on with Cinema, not Yes. So, just think of it as “Cinema” and forget the Yes name altogether. On another note, I’ve discovered many recommendations on PA, and have really been enjoying them.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 20:39
I'm actually quite surprised 90125 has this many votes. My guess would be that 15 years ago it would be lucky to have 5 votes. I guess that's good in a way because it means these days there aren't as many prog snobs.

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 22:49

With a handle like Machine Messiah, I think we can all pretty much guess who you voted for. LOL!!
I still think you should give 90125 a spin sometime. It’s always good to branch out a bit. Of course, it is not the Yes that you know, just like the Howe version was so different from the Banks version. If you’re eating a carob bar, and if you expect it to taste like chocolate, you’ll be disappointed. But, if you enjoy it for what it is - carob - you might find that you like it. Trevor Rabin is not Steve Howe, never will be, and really shouldn’t be expected to sound anything like him. He sounds exactly like who he is, and good on him for staying true to himself. I do think they should have changed the band’s name, which is what was supposed to have happened. Rabin originally signed on with Cinema, not Yes. So, just think of it as “Cinema” and forget the Yes name altogether. On another note, I’ve discovered many recommendations on PA, and have really been enjoying them.

Hehe.. yeah I wanted to choose a song for a name that wasn't one of the 'main', most well-known ones, but maybe an underrated jewel (I know MM is well known and appreciated); in the spirit of this Site, that is to meet, sometimes little-known stuff.

I appreciate your post, really. I kept thinking maybe my post could come across not so well to some (not saying you)..  sorry for that! Embarrassed

I totally hear you, and will apply your advice, though I think I do it somehow..  'Owner of a Lonely Heart' for example I find it superb, no mixed feelings there or anything. The guitar is fantastic.

By the way, with Genesis I was the same before..  but somehow I found it easier with the Collins' era (I liked Phil Collins as a solo artist before meeting Genesis), but with Yes, a specially dear to me, it has always been harder (with Genesis are only the early 80's ones, I mean not much further, it is true that I'm anchored mainly in the 70's..   it just is the style and spirit I love).

I'm a long-time great fan of Howe by the way, and can play some of his pieces on guitar. Some time ago I learnt about Chet Atkins too. I liked very much what you said and the vid you posted about him. Beer

Date Posted: July 14 2020 at 23:48

Tempus Fugit is a killer track.

Date Posted: July 15 2020 at 00:26

Hehe.. yeah I wanted to choose a song for a name that wasn't one of the 'main', most well-known ones, but maybe an underrated jewel (I know MM is well known and appreciated); in the spirit of this Site, that is to meet, sometimes little-known stuff.

I appreciate your post, really. I kept thinking maybe <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : rgb255, 255, 255; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">my post </span>could come across not so well to some (not saying you)..  sorry for that! Embarrassed

I totally hear you, and will apply your advice, though I think I do it somehow..  'Owner of a Lonely Heart' for example I find it superb, no mixed feelings there or anything. The guitar is fantastic.

By the way, with Genesis I was the same before..  but somehow I found it easier with the Collins' era (I liked Phil Collins as a solo artist before meeting Genesis), but with Yes, a specially dear to me, it has always been harder (with Genesis are only the early 80's ones, I mean not much further, it is true that I'm anchored mainly in the 70's..   it just is the style and spirit I love).

I'm a long-time great fan of Howe by the way, and can play some of his pieces on guitar. Some time ago I learnt about Chet Atkins too. I liked very much what you said and the vid you posted about him. Beer

It is no small feat to play Steve Howe’s music. I wish I could pull off some of his more difficult finger-style picking, and I will have to keep at it. Our little band covered Long Distance Runaround back in the day, but that is one of their easier pieces. It was great fun to double the harmony with a second guitarist. The Yes Album and Fragile appeal to me the most from that era, although I realize most folks here prefer CTTE. It can be unsettling when a band changes its sound or replaces members of the group. Sometimes, the magic seems to disappear altogether, but other times something fresh can come out of it. Still, other times people will tell me how great the new sound is but it will do nothing for me. It is funny how music appeals to different people. Anyway, I enjoy reading these polls if not just to see how out of touch I am . I have an album called Neck and Neck with Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler and it is a hoot. It is rare when I buy country albums and they are usually those early greats that I mentioned before. The jazz guitarists from time past were equally brilliant. There are just a few videos of Django Reinhardt out there, but they are well worth watching, especially considering that, like Phil Keaggy, his hand was damaged. Wes Montgomery is another favorite, and while people always mention Hendrix (and rightly so), Montgomery was another who left us way too soon. Cheers!

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: July 15 2020 at 00:29
90125.  I'm one of the purists who never considered "Drama" to be a true Yes album for some reason. 

"Drama" was a decent LP, but 90125 really blew the doors off back in the day!  My favorite track remains "It Can Happen." 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 16 2020 at 10:43
For me it would be Machine Messiah vs Owner of a Lonely Heart... Drama it is.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 21 2022 at 12:52
Drama (1980)

but I love both. 

Date Posted: January 21 2022 at 15:11
Why is every prior Yes album being pitted against 90125? Is 90125 still under siege after 40 years?

Or, perhaps I’m wrong. Maybe this is a turf war between The Buggles and Trevor Rabin.

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: January 21 2022 at 15:22
Drama for me, but both albums are quite underrated in Yes' catalogue. 

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Posted By: EduTatsumi
Date Posted: January 21 2022 at 17:14
Easily Drama

90125 is very overrated

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com