Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123513
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 06:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Renaissance Albums from the Post-1970's Era
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: Renaissance Albums from the Post-1970's Era
Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 02:56
I hope this poll is not quite as "meh" as my recent post-1970's Pink Floyd albums poll. Wink

* The two 1990's albums are by Michael Dunford's Renaissance, with Stephanie Adlington on vocals.

Replies:
Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 03:46
Forget the first two in the list.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 04:01
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Yes, I'd rather forget the first two albums in the list too. Smile

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 10:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

* The two 1990's albums are by Michael Dunford's Renaissance, with Stephanie Adlington on vocals.

— i.e. the ones nobody cares about. LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 12:15
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

At least I cared about Michael Dunford's Renaissance enough  to include their albums in the poll and I also have "The Other Woman" album on CD. Wink

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 14:48

Noooo !!   Camera Camera is a beauty
Time-Line isn’t too shabby either.
And unfortunately I’m not familiar with the others on this list.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 14:55
I like Camera Camera but these days I go with "Grandine.." more often than not

I actually prefer "The Other Woman" to "tuscany". 

Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 14:57
^ It looks like Grandine il Vento is well-worth a listen, considering it's already picked up five votes in the first few hours.

I'm not a fan of the 1980's Camera Camera or Time-Line though. I'd much rather listen to the 1990's version of Renaissance with Michael Dunford and Stephanie Adlington. Smile

Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 15:01

^ It looks like Grandine il Vento is well-worth a listen, considering it's already picked up five votes in the first few hours.

I'm not a fan of the 1980's Camera Camera or Time-Line though. I'd much rather listen to the 1990's version of Renaissance with Michael Dunford and Stephanie Adlington. Smile

The song "Somewhere West of Here" which closes "The Other Woman" is absolutely brilliant.  It could have been a song by ILLUSION with Jane Relf singing

Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 15:12
I can't find "Somewhere West of Here" on YouTube, but I did find this Renaissance classic, sung by Stephanie Adlington.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 18 2020 at 16:56
GRandine il Vento. Fantastic album.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 01:09

I'm the same. The first two are terrible. I don't know what people find in Camera Camera. Timeline is even worse.

The rest are listenable though not wonderful compared to their 70's stuff. 

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 01:55
^ Surprisingly, Camera Camera has already picked up a couple of votes, but then again, these polls always spring a few surprises. After all, someone who wishes to remain anonymous once voted for Calling All Stations as the best ever Genesis album. Smile

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 02:29
Open your ears, folks - Camera Camera is a wonderfully sculpted Prog-Rock album of its time. The sounds may not be ‘70’s (duh) but what a wonderful album. Seems to me, that out of all the ‘major players’ of the era, Renaissance fared above average for sure. Neo-Prog before Neo-Prog was born.

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 03:52
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Open your ears, folks - Camera Camera is a wonderfully sculpted Prog-Rock album of its time. The sounds may not be ‘70’s (duh) but what a wonderful album. Seems to me, that out of all the ‘major players’ of the era, Renaissance fared above average for sure. Neo-Prog before Neo-Prog was born.

Thanks. I'll give Camera Camera another listen to see whether it's really a professional Hasselblad camera amongst prog albums, or whether it's just a budget-priced Polaroid Instamatic camera. Smile

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 04:43

Thanks. I'll give Camera Camera another listen to see whether it's really a professional Hasselblad camera amongst prog albums, or whether it's just a budget-priced Polaroid Instamatic camera. Smile
Sorry to disagree, but in frontoif the electro-pop of Camera Camera I prefer keeping my ears closed.

-------------

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 05:14

Sorry to disagree, but in frontoif the electro-pop of Camera Camera I prefer keeping my ears closed.
That’s all good. No compromising.
How about an Abacab vs. Camera Camera poll ??
The day I don’t make an error...........

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 07:38
I would place Camera Camera second in the poll behind Grandine.  More than credible update to their sound at the time

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 08:47
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I would place Camera Camera second in the poll behind Grandine.  More than credible update to their sound at the time

They are two Renaissance albums I definitely need to check out after seeing the results from this poll.

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 09:34

They are two Renaissance albums I definitely need to check out after seeing the results from this poll.

I think Grandine is a slam dunk for you.  Several songs are in the classic Renaissance tradition while a few, the title cut in particular, offer something new yet familiar.  I still don't place it on the level of the 1970s classics but it's probably as good as we will get

Re Camera Camera, it helps to approach it without expecting a rehash of the 1970s glories, though 2 of the tracks are truly every bit as good.  I think the album deserved better than the thrashing it got in the press, though in Ottawa where I lived at the time it was fully embraced by the local FM station and I converted several classmates at college to the group, culminating in a packed concert at a local club.  It was 1982 and people weren't clamoring for prog rock, even those who liked it a few years earlier.  We appreciated that the band was still making good music in the new environment, but we did appreciate the Ashes are Burning encore!  Of course, some of my mates were converted because of Annie Big smile

Shame they didn't have a hit like Yes did around that time or they may have been able to stick around.

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 09:50
^ I remember buying the Camera Camera album when it first came out, expecting another classic Renaissance album, but I was so disappointed, I took it back to the record store for a refund. It's time to give the album another listen now from a fresh perspective, nearly 40 years on. Smile

This may well be the last Live performance of Ashes Are Burning at the Union Chapel, London, in 2015.

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 10:38
here is a more recent one

to help Annie out with the coda, Mark Lambert has been playing a sizzling lead guitar

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 11:14
^ Thanks! Thumbs Up I've never seen that performance before.

I'll have an Annie Haslam tribute thread coming up soon. Wink

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 12:55
The latter. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 14:13
Camera Camera is one of a kind. There's no other album like it. OK, it's a bit inconsistent, but it is sharp and original and has several highlights (Tyrant Tula probably the highest). And Annie shows more variety than anywhere else.

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 15:48
I never expected the Camera Camera album to pick up as many as four votes (and maybe more) in this poll, so I guess now's as good a time as any to post the videos from the album. Smile

Side One

1. Camera Camera

2. Faeries (Living at the Bottom of the Garden)

3. Remember

4. Bonjour Swansong (not included in the British 1981 release)

5. Tyrant-Tula

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 16:36
Side Two

6. Okichi San

7. Jigsaw (the missing piece of the album)

8. Running Away from You

9. Ukraine Ways

Date Posted: July 19 2020 at 20:40
That's rather incredible that Bonjour Swansong was omitted from the British LP given that it was clearly an attempt to reproduce the success of "Northern Lights", which was only a hit in the UK.  It was also the farewell song for Betty Thatcher, so even more inexplicable in its absence

Date Posted: July 20 2020 at 00:36

That's rather incredible that Bonjour Swansong was omitted from the British LP given that it was clearly an attempt to reproduce the success of "Northern Lights", which was only a hit in the UK.  It was also the farewell song for Betty Thatcher, so even more inexplicable in its absence

Bonjour Swansong is my favourite song from the album, even though I only heard it for the very first time yesterday. Smile I'm sure it had the potential to be a minor hit if the song had ever been released as a single in the U.K. 

Of the other songs on the album, I also like Faeries Living at the Bottom of My Garden. Smile

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 10:09
The winning album in the poll.... Grandine il Vento (Re-released as Symphony of Light)

1. Symphony of Light

2. Waterfall

3. Grandine il Vento

4. Porcelain

5. Cry to the World

6. Air of Drama

7. Blood Silver Like Moonlight

8. The Mystic and the Muse

9. Tonight

10. Immortal Beloved

11. Renaissance Man

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 10:15
Just a thought: Grandine, Procol Harum's Novum, Wakeman's Red Planet. It's like our dynosaurs have now pissed out the music industry and in their late age are back doing the music they like. If only Emerson and Lake were still here...

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2020 at 10:32

Just a thought: Grandine, Procol Harum's Novum, Wakeman's Red Planet. It's like our dynosaurs have now pissed out the music industry and in their late age are back doing the music they like. If only Emerson and Lake were still here...

I've always liked Procol Harum, and I have a couple of 2-CD compilation albums by them, although I've never quite gotten around to listening to any of their studio albums, but based on your recommendation, I'm really looking forward to hearing Procol Harum's Novum album. I'm pretty sure there's a Procol Harum tribute thread on here somewhere, so I'll take a look at that too, if I can find it. Smile

Date Posted: July 27 2020 at 15:29
Wow! I just listened to Renaissance' Grandine il Vento (Symphony of Light) album for the first time today. What a superb album! It's a real return to creative form after their two rather disappointing 1980's albums. It's probably just as good as any of the classic Renaissance albums from the 1970's era, and it's easy to see now why the album won this poll by a comfortable margin. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:07
The 80’s slbums were not a disappointment, just going with the times. At least for me, it’s (mostly) about Annie’s voice and Camp’s bass playing. They both deliver on Camera Camera and Time Line. And I do treasure their 70’s run all the way.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 28 2020 at 02:13

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

At least I cared about Michael Dunford's Renaissance enough  to include their albums in the poll and I also have "The Other Woman" album on CD. Wink

The other Woman was actually the first Renaissance album I bought. I had heard Northern Lights on a compilation album in the early 90's (can't remember the name of the album, or which version of the song it was) and went out and bought the only Renaissanace album I could find with that song on it. I didn't know anything about the band at all. So, that reworking of Northern Lights was the only version I knew for some time. The rest of the album is fairly unremarkable. I only bothered to listen to it end to end after hearing one of the early albums, some years later, then realizing that this later manifestation of the band was not the 'real' Renaissance.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: July 28 2020 at 02:19
^ This is Stephanie Adlington's lovely version of "Carpet of the Sun" from the Michael Dunford's Renaissance album, Ocean Gypsy (1997) Heart

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:28

The 80’s slbums were not a disappointment, just going with the times. At least for me, it’s (mostly) about Annie’s voice and Camp’s bass playing. They both deliver on Camera Camera and Time Line. And I do treasure their 70’s run all the way.

I love Camera Camera to pieces but was seriously disappointed by Time Line. Not quite sure what went wrong there. You don't seem to see such a big gap between the two!?

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:48

^ This is Stephanie Adlington's lovely version of "Carpet of the Sun" from the Michael Dunford's Renaissance album, Ocean Gypsy (1997) Heart

There's no denying it, Stephanie Adlington did have a lovely voice. It was more 'trained' than Annie's voice, though. Annie Haslam wasn't as pitch perfect, and sounded more natural.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: July 28 2020 at 04:03
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

There's no denying it, Stephanie Adlington did have a lovely voice. It was more 'trained' than Annie's voice, though. Annie Haslam wasn't as pitch perfect, and sounded more natural.

Annie is also connecting notes rather than just hitting them tonk-tonk-tonk staccato as Stephanie does here (as in fact lots of singers seem to do for some reason when they cover Renaissance songs).  And when Annie does that with her beautiful tone, any slightly off note gets magnified.  

Also, and this is a quirk of Annie that I have never worked out but she sang Carpet far better live a couple of years down the line compared to the AAB recordings in 1973.  And that has been the case right until GDV.  I guess she records before she has had enough time to really soak in the song. 

Back to Stephanie, as I am listening again, the way she sings "See everything on its own/And you'll find you know the way" is particularly wooden.  

This is how the melody is supposed to sound.

Annie's breath control is also terrific.  She just sings through the "Owe everything to the day" stretch with a steady sustain on "day" while Stephanie catches a breath before that word.

Date Posted: July 28 2020 at 05:02
^ I love the two Renaissance albums Stephanie Adlington recorded with Michael Dunford, but I'll always have a preference for Annie Haslam's inimitable original versions of any Renaissance song. Heart

Posted By: Politician
Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 13:22
They all have at least some merit, but the standout for me is Grandine Il Vento – it sounds like the logical follow-up to A Song For All Seasons that the others weren't.

Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 13:39
Originally posted by Politician Politician wrote:

They all have at least some merit, but the standout for me is Grandine Il Vento – it sounds like the logical follow-up to A Song For All Seasons that the others weren't.

I totally agree, and I'm surprised that Camera Camera did so well in this poll, although it has to be said,  I don't have a good past  record in predicting the outcome of my polls. Smile

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 13:42
I need to listen to Grandine il Vento (2013) again, and get back to this. 

Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 14:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You won't have to go far to find it. The album's on Page 2 of this thread. Smile

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 14:08

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You won't have to go far to find it. The album's on Page 2 of this thread. Smile

You misunderstood. I did listen to the album long ago, but I rarely listen to post 70s Renaissance. So I will try and re-listen to the album and see if it's worth a vote. OK? 

Date Posted: August 19 2020 at 14:15
^ That sounds like a good plan to me. Thumbs Up

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk