Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123545
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 16:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PFM vs. Banco vs. Le Orme
Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Subject: PFM vs. Banco vs. Le Orme
Date Posted: July 20 2020 at 22:47
Which of the RPI big three do you love the most?

Gotta be PFM for me, followed by Le Orme then Banco.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Replies:
Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 00:21
PFM for me.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 00:23
PFM.

My disc copy of Storia Di Un Minuto arrived yesterday! Not a lick of English in the entire damn booklet, just as I'd want it, lol. Cool

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 02:50
Love all three for sure. Le Orme is definitely my fave. I do have lots of LP’s from each of these greats, maybe 15 Orme, and around 10 each of the others.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 02:54
Banco for me

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 03:06
For some reason I haven't explored Le Orme much apart from Felona e Sonora, which I like a lot.
Banco appealed to me from the first listen and this applies to all of their material I know (I don't know the albums that have a really low rating, but then I don't think I need to). I'm still delighted by the quality of their last, Transiberiana, and was meant to see them live this year, which didn't happen because of Covid.
PFM have far less of a direct appeal to me, but I got into them a bit more over the last year or so.

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 04:02
Difficult choice for me between Banco and PFM. Also depends on the moment and the mood. Will think about it.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 05:42
It's very, very close for me , but my vot is for PFM.

Posted By: arturfd
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:09
Le Orme for me, with the most regular career.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:02
Banco 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 10:10
Le Orme

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 11:39
Banco all the time. The first three albums are essential in any prog collection. 

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 12:26
While I fully appreciate the talent and skill of Banco (as well as Le Orme), I've always connected with PFM's music better.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 14:45
Le Orme for sure. Strong for the whole 70s. Banco were a bit patchy and Pfm dropped off by mid 70s

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 15:22
I have loved all three, and all three were early discoveries of mine when I was getting into deeply exploring Prog around 2004. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso Is the one that held my interest the most. It’s also kind of interesting to me that the big Italian three, and big four if one includes Area, each had three albums that I considered to be masterpieces, and in the case of the big three, those all were released between 1972 and 1974.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 15:38
PFM for me, but the other two are pretty close too! 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 20:27
Banco, easily, for me. I never really got much into PFM, while Francesco Di Giacomo has become one of my 3 favourite singers ever.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 20:38
wow...  lot of love for Banco...  nice to see but never felt it myself.  Easily brings up the caboose of the big 6 train of Italian prog... just never connected with me. Though Metamorphosi is easily one of my top 20 speaker killer songs ever...  

really tight between PFM and Le Orme...  I do love my power trios and met the guys from the group and found them to be wonderful guys.. so a vote for the magnificent Le Orme who took ELP's inspiration and their fire.. but also quite simply did some of the prettiest and heartfelt prog I think anyone has done. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: July 21 2020 at 21:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

wow...  lot of love for Banco...  nice to see but never felt it myself.  Easily brings up the caboose of the big 6 train of Italian prog... just never connected with me. Though Metamorphosi is easily one of my top 20 speaker killer songs ever...  

really tight between PFM and Le Orme...  I do love my power trios and met the guys from the group and found them to be wonderful guys.. so a vote for the magnificent Le Orme who took ELP's inspiration and their fire.. but also quite simply did some of the prettiest and heartfelt prog I think anyone has done. 

Metamorphosi is unbelievably loud for the year it came out, lol. Big fan of it. Also agreed on Le Orme doing some of the most beautiful prog in prog. Felona E Sorona.

Amazingly I still voted for PFM. That's just how much I love Per Un Amico.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 00:37
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Le Orme for sure. Strong for the whole 70s. Banco were a bit patchy and Pfm dropped off by mid 70s

that actually sums up how I feel

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 00:38
ALLOWING MULTI VOTES TOTALLY INVALIDATES THIS POLL!

Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 01:21
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

But it allows for people to feel they've participated if they can't decide between two or more options, and we're all just here to have fun right?

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 01:27
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

But it allows for people to feel they've participated if they can't decide between two or more options, and we're all just here to have fun right?

It invalidates the poll demand, "choose one band!" if you can choose more than one band. I like to use multiple votes in my polls but I like the poll line request (and OP "Which of the RPI big three do you love the most?) to be consistent with the voting options/ parameters. By the way, I don't tend to care about poll results, I'm more interested in reading people's thoughts and the discussion that the polls are an accessory to. I tend to treat polls as an accessory to discussion and exploration.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 02:22
It's a close call for me between PFM and Banco, but I decided to go for Banco.
I think their first album I got was Io sono nato libero, and it is still one of my favorites.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 14:11
All three!!!

But BMS is my favorite.

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 17:03

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

that actually sums up how I feel

Le Orme are in my top 5. Not a weak moment from 71-79. I love Io sono and Di Terra from Banco and L’isola from pfm. Amico is pretty good but don’t play it much. Don’t like much else pfm that much.

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 22 2020 at 17:17
With PFM, their 70’s run lost me after Passpartu, though I did get the La Buona Novella to see what they were up to then, but don’t spin it much.
Banco’s 70’s run - I never went beyond Canto di Primavera.
And Le Orme, most albums are great, even Venerdi has class. And they still gave some stunning albums since their heyday., though I haven’t heard their albums post-La via della Seta.
Uomo di Pezza is one of my all-time favourites.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: May 17 2021 at 15:20
I'm a bit late to the party, but let's do this.
Some years ago I would have said : PFM > Banco > Le Orme
Today, well...things have changed.
1-Le Orme
2-PFM
3-Banco

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: May 17 2021 at 15:22
I'm not an expert on these bands, but from what I know, Banco is probably what I like the best.

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: May 17 2021 at 15:44
Banco by far. Their best albums far outshine the best of the other two bands. None of the three have discographies that I entirely enjoy, but from the albums I like, Banco are easily the winner.

It’s a much harder choice for second place, but if push comes to shove, I guess I’d go for PFM. Today, anyway.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 20 2022 at 05:08
Premiata Fornerai Marconi

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: July 20 2022 at 13:15
All great bands!

1 - Le Orme
2 - PFM
3 - Banco

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: July 20 2022 at 13:33
They are all wonderful. It's nice that it's so close, isn't it?

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 21 2022 at 08:41
Ditto.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: July 21 2022 at 12:53
PFM> Banco >>> Le Orme

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk