Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123654
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 04:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Most Underrated King Crimson Album
Posted By: Braka1
Subject: Most Underrated King Crimson Album
Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 21:39
KC's discography looks spare when EPs, ProjecKts and live albums are excluded. But it's either this, or all-in.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Replies:
Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 21:52
Discipline

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:12
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Discipline

Certainly the perfect KC album for Spock!

-------------

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:17
Islands. Top 3 KC for me baby.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:42
Tough call. 

I'll say TOAPP over Lizard, and TCOL. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:53
The most overrated King Crimson album for me is Larks' Tongues in Aspic, but I don't think any of King Crimson's albums are underrated. They're mostly overrated if anything, apart from In the Court of the Crimson King, which could never be overrated in my opinion, not unless the album was given 11 out of 10.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 23:14
Beat!

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 00:29
I hardly see any praise at all for The Power To Believe, but to me it's easily their best album from the post-1980s era.

It's not on the poll but I have a soft spot for Earthbound as well, although I wouldn't call it underrated because I totally see why people would dislike it. Call it a guilty pleasure if you want.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 01:02
ITWoP for me. Almost as solid a record as the debut, but often overlooked because of the debut. Great poll!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 01:47
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

It's not on the poll but I have a soft spot for Earthbound

Me too - if only for the absolutely dirtiness of it -  but if I included that, it would have been USA and the  floodgates.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 02:02
Islands, easily. It is their best. All their other albums from the debut to Discipline, with the exception of ItWoP, are prone to overrating.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 02:16
I came close to voting for 'Starless and Bible Black' but had to go for 'Islands'.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 02:41
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Islands, easily. It is their best. All their other albums from the debut to Discipline, with the exception of ItWoP, are prone to overrating.

What is it about Islands that does it for you? I'll admit I'm a newcomer to the album, and despite being a jazz, freeform, and experimental lover - very little of the content on the record "clicked" with me. It felt disconnected in the wrong ways to me, but that's just opinion of course (it all is).

-------------

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 03:12
Went for Beat, but easily could have also voted for ConstruKction.

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 03:17
The first side of Beat is really enjoyable. If you keep it at that, it's kind of a perfect record.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 03:23
Beat definitely. It's much better than many would have you believe

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 03:58
For me is "Islands".

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 04:07
TPTB. Near perfection.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 04:46
Rarely discussed, "The Power to Believe".

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 07:01
King Crimson has had so many periods in their career, with different artist and different output, that is hard to choose only one. I would say Islands, but there are also many other under rated albums as well.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 08:58
Beat is a five star album that is currently rated at about 3.0. This amount of underrating is hard to beat for any album.

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 10:09
Judging by the fact that it currently has a rating here of only 4.63, I'd say it's In The Court of the Crimson King...Wink

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 10:29
Beat

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:29
Most of the ratings are spot on in my book, some rated higher or lower than I would, but usually not by much. I voted Starless because it is perhaps my favorite, but Beat and Power to Believe are also similarly underrated. Ying Yang

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:24
I'll have to think about this. It's certainly not the first one, LTIA or red or even discipline. 

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'll have to think about this. It's certainly not the first one, LTIA or red or even discipline. 

So basically it's none of the red ones.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 13:36
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

What is it about Islands that does it for you? I'll admit I'm a newcomer to the album, and despite being a jazz, freeform, and experimental lover - very little of the content on the record "clicked" with me. It felt disconnected in the wrong ways to me, but that's just opinion of course (it all is).

It is a matter of taste or opinion indeed and tastes tend to differ. For me, Islands is the only KC album of which I really like all the tracks. Other KC albums have tracks that are hard to get into, leave me cold or are just meh.

-------------

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:15
It's either ItWoP, Islands or ToaPP and maybe, just maybe Starless.
I'll go with Poseidon.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:21
Islands or Starless......chose Islands.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Islands or Starless......chose Islands.

Same here.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 04:27
ITWOP
when compared to the overrated debut Wink

Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 04:39

It is a matter of taste or opinion indeed and tastes tend to differ. For me, Islands is the only KC album of which I really like all the tracks. Other KC albums have tracks that are hard to get into, leave me cold or are just meh.

Totally cool! Oddly enough I feel Islands is the only one that isn't consistent enough for me. I'm willing to bet I'll be back in a year ranting and raving about how underrated it is, lol Cool.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 04:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ITWOP

I wonder what the reputation of those albums would be had the order of release been reversed.

Seems to me ''Court' would be the stronger album regardless, but would it be regarded as self-derivative, and 'Poseidon as' the great prog monolith?

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 19:06
Islands or In the Wake of Poseidon. Criminally underrated records

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 23:28
I picked "Thrak."  Their Chicago concert was sublime...seeing the band singing "People" was spine-tingling!  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 00:11
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

ITWOP

I wonder what the reputation of those albums would be had the order of release been reversed.

Seems to me ''Court' would be the stronger album regardless, but would it be regarded as self-derivative, and 'Poseidon as' the great prog monolith?

There are several parts on ITWoP that sound more or less identical to parts from ITCoTCK; so much so I had to check to make sure I had the correct disc in.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 01:37
Islands.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 01:44
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

ITWOP

Well I just reviewed it and rated it 3 stars while it's ratings in PA is 3.8. So to me it's overrated, not underrated. The two albums either side of it I would rate 5 stars. It's all upstairs between the ears. Different people see different things in the music. As much as I try I don't see ITWOP as one of their best albums.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 02:11
difficult choice

my first temptation was to choose Lizard, because plenty of people (casual fans on sites like RYM) dislike the "jazz thing" in there, but I thought that Poseidon might be it, but TBH, there is only half an album to be judged (the flipside), since the first side is a repeat of Court.

Certainly isn't Island (which I find over-rated >> it gets higher rating than Lizard and Poseidon on RYM).
SaBB is generally over-rated for what it is, IMHO

Beat is their worst (along with Contrukction) so it cannot be under-rated either.

so no vote

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 02:56
It has to be between Poseidon, Beat and The Power to Believe. I think I'll go with ITWOP.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 03:51

Totally cool! Oddly enough I feel Islands is the only one that isn't consistent enough for me. I'm willing to bet I'll be back in a year ranting and raving about how underrated it is, lol Cool.

Strangely Islands is one of my fave KC albums, partly on account of its consistency.

We all hear things differently.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk