Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123656
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 07:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Epic Concept
Posted By: geekfreak
Subject: Epic Concept
Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:25
I’ve been thinking about the two concept albums “Tales/Lamb” and wondering which one is the better one of the two albums and from a personal experience that as happened every single time I listen to the incredible masterpiece imho is Tales From Topography Oceans takes the vote here...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Replies:
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:30
The logical choice for me is I Like Both Equally.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 31 2020 at 22:38
Lamb

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 00:20
I think a lot of the revilement for TFTO is unfair, but I still prefer The Lamb.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 00:23
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Paul That’s the personal choice I do enjoy both albums but Tales has a deep intertwining consciousness it’s one of a few albums that helped me through the grieving process by the death of my Dad so Its a unique album experience for me

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 01:05
On this one?

Both.

Very ambitious topics and executions of said topics IMHO.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 01:32
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Paul That’s the personal choice I do enjoy both albums but Tales has a deep intertwining consciousness it’s one of a few albums that helped me through the grieving process by the death of my Dad so Its a unique album experience for me

Music was a great help when I lost my Dad too in 2015, and it still is, but I couldn't pinpoint any particular album that helped me through the grieving process. I was still really busy running my music website at that time back in 2015, so that was a welcome distraction to keep my mind occupied and stop me brooding too much.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 01:59
Lamb by at least 2 stars.

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 03:52
The Lamb by some way, though even it is put into the shade by IQ's masterpiece Subterranea.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 03:59
I like both equally.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 04:32
I voted 'both equally'. I think they're equivalently flawed albums, both of them reached beyond their grasp.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 04:36
Lamb, by a landslide..

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 05:07
They are both overrated vanity projects that could do with some major pruning down to 1 album each.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 07:04
I like and enjoy both pratically the same. 

Posted By: DarkTower
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 07:07
I like both but prefer Lamb.

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 10:17
Topographic Oceans easily, despite it's flaws... the album attempts to musically convey the entire breadth of human knowledge, whereas The Lamb is just a weird story.

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:39
 A difficult choice since I rate both as 5 star albums. I was tempted to go with the "both" option, which I often regard as a cop-out. Both options are sprawling obscure affairs. The Lamb is psychological in a mostly Jungian way with some elements of classic mythology. It also fits both Campbell's hero's journey structure and the structure of ancient classics such as Homer's Odyssey. TFTO is a mystical journey which also follows the structure of  ancient classics. It is more intuitive than analytical, and thus provides the ground for more personalized reflection, which appeals more to me right now. I voted TFTO.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:06
I like them both for different reasons but about the same. Neither is the best by either band imo. I think as a double I probably prefer the wall over both to be honest.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:28
Lamb , but don't really bother to listen to either these days.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 23:36
Tales for me, I have some sort of aversion towards The Lamb Lies Down in Broadway (even though there are a few songs within it that I do like a lot).

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 00:49
Never been a great fan of Lamb, but that's just me. Concede there's a couple of killer tracks including Cage and Carpet Crawlers. Side 4 I found really disappointing as though the band have simply run out of ideas.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 01:35
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Topographic Oceans easily, despite it's flaws... the album attempts to musically convey the entire breadth of human knowledge, whereas The Lamb is just a weird story.

I have to laugh, because while I do love both records - I agree and I know exactly what you mean by "weird" regarding Lamb.

What I love about Lamb is it truly is the quintessential Peter Gabriel fever dream lyrical expose. It's full bore unrestricted Peter Gabriel in every sense possible. It's like Supper's Ready on steroids, which doesn't automatically make it as good or better by any means.

What really grabs me on Tales, though, is how Anderson and Howe (mostly the former) extrapolated so much creativity out of a single footnote on a Yogi in his book. It wasn't a dedicated chapter, nor even a section in the book - a damn footnote

A lot of people rail on Yes for their "airy" and "padded" musical/lyrical concepts and attempts - but for me that's just further proof of how friggin' magical that band was at that time. 

Their creativity was, for all practical intents and purposes, seemingly limitless. 

I'd imagine they could have made as equally a majestic, impressive, divisive progressive rock recording in 1973 had Anderson and co. felt equally as moved, impressed, inspired, and motivated to create had it been a TV Guide advertisement from their hotel room instead! WinkCool

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 01:57
A huge fan of both bands,  if my desert island aloud me only one of the groups discography  I would choose Genesis,  but I feel the Lamb is overrated.  Tony should have told Peter to shut up a few more times.  

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 03:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

They are both overrated vanity projects that could do with some major pruning down to 1 album each.

I think TFTO could have been better if it wasn't just Anderson and Howe driving it (..over the cliff imo).

Lamb is about 70-80% absolutely brilliant. If both were 60 minutes , Lamb would be 5 stars (instead of 4) and Tales 4 stars (instead of 3). There just isn't enough 'going on' with Tales. It's an 'idea' lacking inspiration. Lamb feels a lot more like a band project that only slightly veered off the road. Has any ex-member of Genesis turned on it like Wakeman did with tales?

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:09
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Lamb, by a landslide..
A LAMBSLIDE HA!

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 00:06
Genesis. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 01:09
Tales have a "greater" concept, but the execution is subpar at times. It drags, meanders, loses its steam. Lamb is more focused (but still faulty).

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:40
My two favorite LP's ever.

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 06:57
Much prefer The Lamb, musically, and lyrically. TFTO has some good musical moments but the themes and the concept do nothing for me. Overall it feels like they were trying too hard to be clever. I suspect they weren't, but I can understand the cynicism towards this album, and I share some of it.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk