Print Page | Close Window

What Prog box sets are actually worthwhile?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123666
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 13:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What Prog box sets are actually worthwhile?
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Subject: What Prog box sets are actually worthwhile?
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:49
So my question for everyone here is this: what prog (or even non-prog or prog adjacent artists) box sets are actually worthwhile and don't just contain a bunch of filler that you're either only going to listen to once, or just never touch (terrible quality live recordings, demos, a million bonus tracks). I own the Yes Steven Wilson Remix vinyl box set and that was definitely worth every penny. I'm interested in the Black Sabbath vinyl box set as well, but for this question box sets of any format are welcome.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Replies:
Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:55
I suppose I shouldn't be talking about how "worth the money" something is considering I just stream everything. But I've been enjoying the SW remixes of the JT catalogue. There are many bonus tracks that are really enjoyable, particularly on the most recent ones (folk trio), and I think the remixes themselves are much better than the original mixes. Plus, a lot of live content. Minstrel had a really cool concert on it.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:32
Depends on how much you're into the band. This is probably my favorite box set ever.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 12:51
Supernatural Fairy Tales: The Progressive Rock Era

This one is a good one from an introduction to a variety of artists standpoint.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 14:58
Supernatural Fairy Tales is good if pretty much all you know is the most well known bands(Yes, PF, Genesis, ELP, etc)because it branches out a little bit beyond that. The main problem I have with it is that it's stuck in the 1970's timewarp and seems to think prog died in 76/77 which simply isn't true. This box set came out in 1996 I think and so they could sort of be forgiven considering that at that point the only people who knew prog was still going on were the hardcore fans who went looking for it(mostly online at that point). However, they could have at least threw Marillion in there but it's clear they only wanted to acknowledge the golden era. I bought it a few years after it was released but sold it online maybe a month later. Come to think of it it might have been the first thing(or one of the very first things)I sold online.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:05
The only ones I own are the original King Crimson box sets , the first  Genesis box, and Supernatural Fairy Tales. Having most of the studio albums and some of the added tracks cd's  by the others I never looked deeper into any other box sets.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 01 2020 at 16:14
My best ones as follows:
Porcupine Tree~Anesthetize Live Tilburg
David Gilmour~Live Pompeii
Eric Clapton~Give Me Strength 74/75 Recordings
Eric Clapton~Crossroads
Marillion~Misplaced Childhood
Led Zeppelin~I

All are LP format

-------------

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 00:37
The only one I own is the Bruce Dickinson discography on vinyl box. Would love to review those albums here as prog-related by the way.

-------------
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 02:51
If you are into your vinyl then this one

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 04:17

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:08
Like everything, some are worth your money and some aren’t.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:11
Not a perfect Box Set but a really good one with unreleased tracks and a great cross section of their career.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 06:24
Any of the Jethro Tull SW boxes are worthwhile, particularly Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung and A Passion Play.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 07:17
Personally I'd go for

Henry Cow
Tangerine Dream - In Search Of Hades
King Crimson - Great Deceiver
Gong - The Virgin Years

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 07:50
The 3-CD Mostly Autumn box set "Pass the Clock" is a must-have for me. Thumbs Up

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 08:05
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Any of the Jethro Tull SW boxes are worthwhile, particularly Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung and A Passion Play.

Plus Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch!! Thumbs Up

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 08:40
Hi,

If I had the money? ..... probably none! 

I'm finding too much re-hashing of the same thing! Specially where some bands have other material that would be much more interesting!

But no one will ever do a Bonzo Dog Band re-do of that bootleg ... which is much needed, although there is at least one bit that you will do on stage, but can not record on an album/CD ... copyright bullpucky!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:00
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Plus Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch!! Thumbs Up

Yeah that's what I was saying. The bonus tracks and live stuff off of those ones are great.

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:22
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yeah that's what I was saying. The bonus tracks and live stuff off of those ones are great.

And please don't forget surround mixes of the albums (you can hear lots of "new" sounds lost in stereo mixes) and excellent nearly 100-page books. Thumbs Up

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 12:29
It depends on your bank account and level of fanhood. For big fans, a collection of rarities would be valuable but not for the more casual fan. For example, as a major Tull-Skull, I find Nightcap highly worthwhile - it has the entire Chateaux D'Saster tapes, which provides a foundation for both A Passion Play and War Child. It also has an entire discs worth of previously unreleased tracks. Sometimes the label discounts the value of such collections by putting unreleased rarities on new editions of individual albums. I am not so big on Queensryche, however, so a best of collection satisfies me. Value lies in what you are interested in, not the price of a collection.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 18:25
I only have two. I have the yesyears boxed set and an ELP boxed set. Both are from around the early 90's and are both halfway decent. My brother gave me the ELP boxed set as a birthday present I think(maybe christmas)and I think the Yes boxed set was also a present. I had the supernatural fairy tales one also but as I mentioned earlier I sold it. 

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 02 2020 at 23:24
This one was worth every penny that I didn't spend on it! 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: wiz_d_kidd
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 07:34
I bought the 7CD box set of Stern-Combo Meissen new for $42 USD. That's $6 apiece. Out of the 7 albums, I think there are 4 good ones, so $10.50 for each still isn't too bad. A couple of albums (Nachte and Taufrisch) -- although they aren't prog, are still good 80's synth pop. Well done, in fact. So all in all, I think it was a pretty good deal, especially for albums that are hard to find.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:04
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

So my question for everyone here is this: what prog (or even non-prog or prog adjacent artists) box sets are actually worthwhile and don't just contain a bunch of filler that you're either only going to listen to once, or just never touch (terrible quality live recordings, demos, a million bonus tracks). I own the Yes Steven Wilson Remix vinyl box set and that was definitely worth every penny. I'm interested in the Black Sabbath vinyl box set as well, but for this question box sets of any format are welcome.

"Vinyl" box sets are not worthwhile unless you have money to burn. Tongue  I think my first box set was ELP's Return Of Manticore.  The first disc was new recordings of new stuff.  The other discs were mostly stuff that wasn't available on CD at that time with some unreleased stuff thrown in.  It was a good purchase and I wouldn't sell it off to this day.

The Jethro Tull remix book boxes are most excellent.

So I would say as long as you don't insist on "vinyl" box sets (I will not buy this record, it is scratched).  There is a lot of good stuff out there.  In fact more than I can afford even if I had money to spare.

Final thought how many 5.1 surround sound remixes by Steven Wilson have you enjoyed in the LP format? 

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:17
I plan on eventually getting the Genesis 67-75 box and two Yes boxed sets(the word is live and in a word). If I ever buy a turntable maybe the Yes SW remixes also since there is a box set for that too(it's only on vinyl apparently though).

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: August 04 2020 at 01:28
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

It depends on your bank account and level of fanhood. For big fans, a collection of rarities would be valuable but not for the more casual fan. For example, as a major Tull-Skull, I find Nightcap highly worthwhile - it has the entire Chateaux D'Saster tapes, which provides a foundation for both A Passion Play and War Child. It also has an entire discs worth of previously unreleased tracks. Sometimes the label discounts the value of such collections by putting unreleased rarities on new editions of individual albums. I am not so big on Queensryche, however, so a best of collection satisfies me. Value lies in what you are interested in, not the price of a collection.

Nightcap actually misses a number of tracks from the Chateau D'Isaster tapes. On Nightcap, Anderson in the early '90s remixed and overdubbed his flute on a large number of tracks; which on first hearing I did not mind, until I heard Steven Wilson's 2013 remix of ALL Chateau D'Isaster tape tracks in the 40th anniversary A Passion Play: An Extended Performance Box. He got rid of Anderson's overdubbed flute and cut back on the reverb to make an brilliant new album; sounding as fresh as it did when it was recorded back in late 1972.

The extra tracks from Chateau D'Isaster tape tracks in the 40th anniversary A Passion Play: An Extended Performance Box, which are not found on Nightcap are: The Big Top, Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day (almost identical to War Child, with a few differences), Sailor, Only Solitaire (again from War Child with remixing differences), Critique Oblique - Part 1, Critique Oblique - Part 2 (so the Complete Critique Oblique sans flute), Animelee 1st Dance (Instrumental) and Animelee 2nd Dance (Instrumental).

The order of the tracks in Wilson's remix also make the flow of the album so much better than the Nightcap truncated version.

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 04:50
Strawbs box set is awesome. So is KC's Great Deceiver.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 16:04
I really love DVD Audio/Blu-Ray boxes and tend to gravitate toward those.

NOTE: some CD box sets included here:

I really like the SW remixes of Tull and Yes (especially TAAB and Tales; Relayer has issues), The Yes Progeny box, The King Crimson 40th Anniversary remixes, the Genesis boxes, and the Beatles complete box. The Hackett Total Experience box is incredible. The Pink Floyd Immersion boxes are of variable quality. The Sgt. Pepper box is revealing-the clarity brings out new detail.

Date Posted: August 07 2020 at 16:06
Didn't Caravan have one back in the 90's called "Canterbury Tales" or was that just more of a double compilation cd? Same thing with "Echoes" by Camel. Box set probably implies at least four discs I think.

Date Posted: August 08 2020 at 03:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I plan on eventually getting the Genesis 67-75 box and two Yes boxed sets(the word is live and in a word). If I ever buy a turntable maybe the Yes SW remixes also since there is a box set for that too(it's only on vinyl apparently though).

The Genesis box set is one of the best things ever Thumbs Up

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: August 08 2020 at 08:50
Just ordered the Dream Theater 1993-2011 boxset (Images-Dramatic Turns). Paid 46$, i'd say it was worth it Smile

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: questionsneverknown
Date Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:58
< ="WebKit-mso-list-quirks-style">

For good or bad, I have a box set addiction.

There’s such a wide array out there—from simple repackaging of commonly available material to treasure troves of rare goodies. I tip toward the latter.

Are they worth it? A lot of that probably depends on how obsessive you are as a fan of a particular group, or just how obsessive you are as a person (guilty!). I genuinely love the descend-into-the-archive feel of some of these.

Some faves:

·      The King Crimson mega live boxes—like Sailors Tales, Starless and Heaven + Earth

·      The Jethro Tull album reissues with Steven Wilson remixes

·      Caravan The World is Yours

·      Magma’s live box Kohnzert Zund

·      Henry Cow box (this and the previous one if and only if you are really obsessive and want the exhaustive/exhausting experience)

·      The Pink Floyd Early Years sets

·      Residents Preserved reissues [not sure if I count these as boxes or not—though the Mole box definitely is, but they are certainly rich in archival treats]

Just ordered the Tangerine Dream set based on the recs here.

It’s a sickness; it really is.

-------------
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 14:35
This is a rather silly question and if you have bought any just toss them all into the trash.  Or I would take them as a donation. Tongue 

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 14:50
The Yes box set of studio albums from 1969 to 1987 is great, although the packaging is a bit flimsy. I’m an old school jewel case kind of person.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 15:43
If you don't own all the albums. Both of these are outstanding.

Bill Bruford Earthworks - Complete Deluxe Boxset

Allan Holdsworth - The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 12 2020 at 22:39
I don't know so many of these, but I really enjoyed Pink Floyd's The Early Years set (though I got them separately about a year later, when they got less expensive). So many great live versions that are much better than the studio ones, and a good deal of live video footage. Too bad it actually has a good deal of filler that I won't easily come back for, and that surely was used mostly to increase the price. I believe they could have released a Barret's era lost album with all the singles that were never used in a studio album, as well as a Gilmour era lost album too with their un-used early songs. And then, they could have released a few live albums, as well as a few live DVD's (mostly in a compilation format, I guess). That would have made them better for coming back to them. As it is, I just ripped my favourite songs to my IPod, and that's where I keep on enjoying them. Now, there's the new Later Years box-set, which has a good deal of stuff that I want too, but it's way too expensive for what it is, I think (just about as expensive as the Early Years one, with less material covered and less CD's included). And I still don't understand how there's just about any footage and live recordings from their Dark Side - The Wall years, just some of the biggest years for any rock band, and they recorded just about nothing live? It's just incredible... I would just love to have a DVD of the Animals tour.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 09:33
Los Van Der Graaf's The Box.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 22:59
My two faves:

Tangerine Dream - In Search of Hades  (monumental box set, totally worth it)

Jethro Tull - 20 Years of Jethro Tull  (great set, lots of previously unreleased tracks)

Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 02:06
I want the Tangerine Dream box set - Pilots of Purple Twilight (1980-1983). However the price of over £100 is troubling me though as its only 10 discs (8 fewer than In Search Of Hades) yet the price is very similar. Has to be a hard pass unfortunately.

Posted By: TheUniversalMigrator
Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 02:25
I've seen some of the footage off of the In Search of Hades box set. It's got some really cool footage of TD in their recording studio just jamming out. It's a good one. I highly recommend the In Search of Hades box set.

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 16:23
GG's Unburied Treasure - I personally did not purchase it and was never going to do that. But it's a nice work of art. No new music, but interesting contents overall. Two books and a booklet. Nice and intriguing. To me personally the most interesting piece was the biographical book with lots of photos - really worth the price, I suppose. 

I feel and believe and insist that there must be more and diverse GG-related products - playing cards, computer games, mobile apps, et al. Although the mentioned box mostly consists of umpteenth-time remasters, there may be many fans who find it worthy. 

https://gentlegiantmusic.com/GG/Unburied_Treasure" rel="nofollow - https://gentlegiantmusic.com/GG/Unburied_Treasure

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: January 18 2022 at 19:32
Just made this list.

Please let me know if there's anything absolutely outstanding that i missed!

Thank you SOOO much :)

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/best-prog-box-sets/" rel="nofollow - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/best-prog-box-sets/

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: January 18 2022 at 20:23
Art Zoyd 44.5

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: January 18 2022 at 20:27
Unburied Treasure is amazing! I wonder if the sound quality is decent on the live shows with Phil Shulman.

Date Posted: January 18 2022 at 20:43
^ thanks guys! Added Art Zoyd and GG.

KC live album isn't so clear cut

Will think about that one

-------------

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: January 18 2022 at 21:02
When I think of box sets I don't usually think of compilations as much as collections of goodies (live tracks, studio outtakes, rare b-sides, often previously unreleased) which go along with some album or another (or maybe in the case of ELP's Fanfare boxset, their entire discography!). Plus it's gotta have nice packaging and some physical goodies as well (liner notes, replica ticket stubs, pins, stickers, etc.), because if you really want to hear it all of that "unreleased" stuff can be found online somewhere, usually without looking too far.  I'm a big fan of them personally, and I usually win up getting one each year for Christmas. 

It started with the 2014 Led Zeppelin II box set with a whole extra LP of alternate mixes and a studio outtake, plus an excellent book and great packaging. 

Queen did a few great box sets a few years in a row in the 2010s, Live At The Rainbow, A Night At The Odeon, On Air, and the 40th Anniversary of News Of The World.  Most of these came with lots of little physical goodies that are fun to examine (or wear) and loads of previously unreleased music. The entire concerts for the Rainbow and Odeon boxes, on blu-ray, DVD, and CD.  The On Air box and the News Of The World box contained loads of live stuff, live at the BBC stuff, and some awesome studio outtakes as well. Plus the On Air box includes 3 CDs of interviews spanning the band's career. Yes, I've listened to them all. Some fascinating, some funny, some a bit dull, but all worthwhile to this very rabid fan.

Rush had/have been putting out some quite nice 40th anniversary boxes for their classic albums since about 2016, though the Moving Pictures box has still yet to be announced despite that anniversary having passed last year. Some fans are split on these, as they don't include anything in the way of studio outtakes (because Rush never kept studio outtakes, anything that wasn't going to be on the album was scrapped before it was properly recorded) and the first couple tried to make up for this by inviting other bands to cover songs from each album.  I rather liked the covers, as it was a unique way to show how influential Rush are to many many current artists while also functioning as an alternate version of the track (sort of like the alternate mixes on that Led Zeppelin II bonus LP). But I think the general response was the covers were tacky and fans would rather have full live concerts instead (plus I bet they were a pain in the butt to organize), so the more recent ones have featured complete or nearly complete live shows from the corresponding tour, which are fantastic, just wonderful. These plus all the physical treats in the boxes (especially the very extensive liner notes) have made the Rush 40th anniversary editions very appealing to me, and I hope they keep going through Signals at least.

Muse did a fantastic box set a couple years ago called Origin Of Muse, which includes their first two albums repressed on colored vinyl, and iirc 7 CDs of other recorded material relating to those first two albums, from the tracks comprising their first few EPs and singles, to pretty much every B-side recorded and released during that period, all the way up to a live performance of the whole Origin Of Symmetry album, start to finish, from 2011 for its 10th anniversary. Plus the box/book it all comes in is very nicely designed and is full of full color photos and stories compiled with love and care by the band themselves. A passion project for sure, and something I'm very happy to have in my collection.

I don't have the box for it, but the 4 CD set of The Great Deceiver by King Crimson is just phenomenal listening. There are pretty extensive liner notes in the little CD booklets as well, which are fun to read while listening. Just the absolute best bits (according to Mr. Fripp) of the Crim's 1973 and 1974 live shows, including all of the show from which Providence is taken (not coincidentally, Providence RI 1974). That one is my favorite to revisit, as the instrumental improv on both Journey To The Centre Of The Cosmos and Providence is absolutely top notch, and the renditions of Easy Money, Fracture, LTIAII, and Starless are to die for. Very heavy. Not sure what's in the box that isn't in the jewel case CDs, but whatever it is could only be icing on the cake of live KC at their very best.

I recently acquired the David Bowie Conversation Piece box as well, which includes 5 CDs chronologically documenting the evolution of his 1969 Space Oddity album (two of which are the album itself, one as the original 1969 mix, and the other as a new 2019 stereo mix by the one and only Tony Visconti, with the song Conversation Piece reinserted into the tracklist where it was originally intended by Bowie).  These come in a very nice coffee table sized book with hard slipcase that is a joy to page through and follow along with the CDs as Bowie develops his songs from early demos into a full album. Excellent bits of history and pictures as well, the whole set really speaks to me as a songwriter.

Anyway those are some of my favorites. Sorry for the lengthy read, lol.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: January 18 2022 at 21:19
^ Thank you so much for the suggestions! I added the KC and Muse but Queen, LZ and DB are all prog related. I'm only doing TRUE prog for this list. I considered doing a more overarching box set list and maybe i will later but for now only PROGGY PROG PROG!!!

-------------

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: January 18 2022 at 21:45
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ Thank you so much for the suggestions! I added the KC and Muse but Queen, LZ and DB are all prog related. I'm only doing TRUE prog for this list. I considered doing a more overarching box set list and maybe i will later but for now only PROGGY PROG PROG!!!

Oh I was more just adding to the conversation than trying to nominate things for your list, but glad you enjoyed the suggestions regardless!

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 18 2022 at 22:26

KC live album isn't so clear cut

Will think about that one
It was originally released as a proper box set in a cardboard box. Though maybe the fact you can now buy it as separate CDs retrospectively invalidates it!

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Date Posted: January 18 2022 at 23:14

Just made this list.

Please let me know if there's anything absolutely outstanding that i missed!

Thank you SOOO much :)

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/best-prog-box-sets/" rel="nofollow - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/best-prog-box-sets/

Great list!

The 2021 Faust box set Faust 1971-1974 arguably deserves inclusion as well as or instead of Wumme Years as it has a lot of previously unreleased material (that is actually good).

Likewise, for Billy Cobham there’s a better collection than the Original Album Classics one (The Atlantic Years 1973-1978) and for Mahavishnu Orchestra The Complete Columbia Albums Collection is better than the Original Album Classics.

Since you’re including ‘Original Album Classics’ type sets, the ones for Stormy Six and Passport are excellent.

Other than that, looking at my shelf:

Aka Moon, Constellations 1992-2015
Area, International Popular Group - The Essential Box Set Collection
Captain Beefheart, Sun Zoom Spark
Goblin, The Awakening
Holger Czukay, Cinema
Dedalus, Le Ricordanze - The Complete Recordings 1973-2015
Mats/Morgan, 40th Anniversary Box Set
One Shot, Coffret Integral
Ozric Tentacles, Travelling The Great Circle
Michael Rother, Solo
Igor Wakhevitch, donc…
Weather Report, The Columbia Albums 1971-1975
Weather Report, The Columbia Albums 1976-1982
John Zorn, The Book Beri’ah
John Zorn, Bagatelles

Arguably the second Weather Report box doesn’t merit inclusion on quality grounds.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 04:41
King Crimson - Great Deceiver in the original 4cd boxset is the definitive band document as far as I an concerned.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 04:45
I would recommend 2 recent Pendragon box sets - one is the 3 CD set of Love Over Fear with instrumental and acoustic versions of the album and the other is the 40th anniversary 5 CD set.

https://themerchdesk.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=324_202&product_id=899" rel="nofollow - Pendragon ~ Love Over Fear Deluxe Edition CD Book (themerchdesk.com)

https://themerchdesk.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=324_202&product_id=879" rel="nofollow - Pendragon ~ The First 40 Years Collectors Edition (themerchdesk.com)

Both are beautifully packaged.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 05:32
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I would recommend 2 recent Pendragon box sets - one is the 3 CD set of Love Over Fear with instrumental and acoustic versions of the album and the other is the 40th anniversary 5 CD set.

https://themerchdesk.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=324_202&product_id=899" rel="nofollow - Pendragon ~ Love Over Fear Deluxe Edition CD Book (themerchdesk.com)

https://themerchdesk.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=324_202&product_id=879" rel="nofollow - Pendragon ~ The First 40 Years Collectors Edition (themerchdesk.com)

Seconded. And what a shame that they have been forced to cancel yet another tour. My attendance at Winter’s End is now seriously in doubt.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 05:39
Some of my prog box-sets:-

The Alan Parsons Project - Original Album Classics (5 CD's)
Anathema - Original Album Classics (3 CD's)
Be Bop Deluxe - Original Album Series (5 CD's)
Jeff Beck - Original Album Classics (5 CD's)
Blue Oyster Cult - Original Album Classics (5 CD's)
Tim Buckley - Original Album Series (5 CD's)
Budgie - The MCA Albums 1973-1975 (3 CD's)
Chicago - Original Album Series (5 CD's)
The Doors - A Collection (6 CD's)
Edgar Broughton Band - The Harvest Years 1969-1973 (4 CD's)
Electric Light Orchestra - Original Album Classics (5 CD's)
Edgar Froese - Solo (1974-1983) The Virgin Years (4 CD's)
Steve Hackett - Classic Albums (5 CD's)
Hawkwind - EpochEclipse (3 CD's)
Iron Butterfly - Original Album Series (5 CD's)
Jefferson Airplane - Original Album Classics (5 CD's)
Jethro Tull - Original Album Series (5 CD's)
Kansas - Original Album Classics (5 CD's)
Man - Original Album Series (5 CD's)
Mostly Autumn - Pass the Clock (3 CD's)
Nektar - Essential Albums (5 CD's)
Spirit - Original Album Classics (5 CD's)
Tangerine Dream - The Virgin Years 1974-1978 (3 CD's)
Tangerine Dream - The Virgin Years 1977-1983 (5 CD's)
Traffic - Classic Albums (5 CD's)
Robin Trower - Original Album Series (5 CD's)
Rick Wakeman - Classic Albums (5 CD's)
YES - Original Album Series (5 CD's)

They're all worthwhile, apart from Tim Buckley.  Big smile

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 06:53
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Seconded. And what a shame that they have been forced to cancel yet another tour. My attendance at Winter’s End is now seriously in doubt.
Indeed, I have tickets for the 229, hopefully that'll be on again at some point.

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 06:55
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Some of my prog box-sets:-

Be Bop Deluxe - Original Album Series (5 CD's

Good mention of the wonderous BBD but they have much better box sets than that available. I think all of their albums have been rereleased recently as box sets e.g. this one which I want to get when I have the cash -

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/be-bop-deluxe-live-in-the-air-age-15cd-1dvd-limited-edition-box-set/" rel="nofollow - Be Bop Deluxe: Live! In The Air Age, 15CD/1DVD Limited Edition Box Set - Cherry Red Records

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 07:20
Looks like i missed this thread the first time around...

Looking thru it for thoe listed I see I don't have many that spring up to mins.

I must say that I'm very picky about these big boxsets, even when they propose plenty of unreleased stuff (live or studio).

For ex, I had bought the smaller Deram/Decca Caravan boxset (+ BBC sessions), not expecting anymore the big bugger that came out a few months ago.  Pity, because if I hadn't bought the first, I'd probably have splurged for the big one, despite its unreal price. The big plus is that the discs have their own sleeves.

I'm glad I waited for Floyd to release separately the smaller set of their bih box so I could skip the first and the last years.

In a recent fad, other boxsets have peeved me off because the discs are art/sleeveless in those stupid "cardboard wallets" (VdGG, TD, Ozric, etc...) , thus making it difficult to detach/export an album from the box (for the car, for ex), without risking damage and no track list unless you take the whole book along.

I mean some of that unreleased stuff on those boxsets is extremey tempting, but not at any price or shape/form.

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Art Zoyd 44.5

Well, I've got those two. Still spinning the Deceiver, but a lot of AZ discs have only be played once - a bit like those Henry Cox bosets - never played most of it poast the first spin.
I also have the Gream boset.

===============

I've got plenty of smaller (+/- 5 or 6 discs) boxsets like early WR, Magma, early TD, Cobbham, Mwandishi, etc... , but they're not the type that PP mentions. They come with an extyensive booklet

If that counts I also have Genesis Archives I and the Green box.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 08:50
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Art Zoyd 44.5

Well, I've got those two. Still spinning the Deceiver, but a lot of AZ discs have only be played once - a bit like those Henry Cox bosets - never played most of it poast the first spin.
I also have the Gream boset.

I play plenty of the AZ & the HC. The ones I get the most repeat listening from are:-

Tangerine Dream - In Search Of Hades
Gong - Love From The Planet Gong

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 10:33
Wow! You all are gonna keep me busy on this one :D

Great suggestions! If only i had a gazillion dollars to buy them all

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 11:43
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Oh I was more just adding to the conversation than trying to nominate things for your list, but glad you enjoyed the suggestions regardless!

I have some great box sets from Led Zep, The Doors, Simon & Garfunkel, The Shocking Blue, The Police etc

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 12:11
The King Crimson boxes are really something special.
I haven't bought any of the boxes focused on a single album (ITCOTCK, LTIA and Thrak), since that's less my kind of thing, so I don't have anything to say about those.

However, all of the live collections really are quite stellar. Sailors Tales can be rather raw, but it gives you a great window on the Islands/Earthbound era of the band; plenty of interesting jams. At the other end of the chronology, Heaven and Earth is insanely exhaustive--including hundreds of shows by the various Projekts--that casts so much light on the Construktion of Light and Power to Believe era of the band. On (and Off) the Road puts in one box everything you could want from the 1980s quartet. When it comes to the mid-70s era, and when push comes to shove, I'd say the best box of all of them is Starless. Here you get all of the Great Deceiver stuff plus so much more. This is my favourite incarnation of the band and every disc features a number of improvisations so that each night's show is often radically different. That's a must own to me. 

-------------

--Robyn Hitchcock

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 12:15
Van Der Graaf Generator's THE BOX (2000).

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 12:18
^Oops! I already contributed this.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 12:30
Alright! I added a whole bunch more.

Wow. Some of these that i didn't know about are impressive.

Gotta get my filthy paws on a few of those Big smile

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/best-prog-box-sets/1/" rel="nofollow - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/best-prog-box-sets/1/

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 14:42
I tend to only buy these when the box set is a better deal than buying the individual CDs. Off the top of my head, I own these...

Pink Floyd - Shine One
--I just switched from LPs/cassettes to CDs at the time I found this - it was marked down to $100
Blue Effect 1969-1989
--At the time I think some of the titles in their discography were out of print and prohibitively expensive
Clepsydra - 3654 Days
--bought for the same reason as the Blue Effect box, plus it was a limited edition signed by the band
Nick Mason - Unattended Luggage
--this was bought on a whim mostly
Finch - Mythology
--again, cheaper than buying the individual titles

I was about to get The Cassiber Box, but Wayside refunded me because they didn't have it in stock. 

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 14:45
^ i've been salivating over the Cassiber box for a while

Guess i'll inquire before i place my order on Wayside

-------------

Posted By: UncleRust
Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 18:14
These are absolutely worthwhile...
  • King Crimson - The Great Deceiver
  • Tangerine Dream - In Search of Hades
  • Magma - Kohnzert Zund

Posted By: Rottenprogger
Date Posted: January 19 2022 at 22:18
If you're a RUSH fan then I highly recommend the excellent Sector box sets they put out in 2011. Great sounding remasters of their 1970s to late 1980s output plus a nice booklet in each one. 

Date Posted: January 20 2022 at 00:29
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

I haven't bought any of the boxes focused on a single album (ITCOTCK, LTIA and Thrak), since that's less my kind of thing, so I don't have anything to say about those.

However, all of the live collections really are quite stellar. Sailors Tales can be rather raw, but it gives you a great window on the Islands/Earthbound era of the band; plenty of interesting jams. At the other end of the chronology, Heaven and Earth is insanely exhaustive--including hundreds of shows by the various Projekts--that casts so much light on the Construktion of Light and Power to Believe era of the band. On (and Off) the Road puts in one box everything you could want from the 1980s quartet. When it comes to the mid-70s era, and when push comes to shove, I'd say the best box of all of them is Starless. Here you get all of the Great Deceiver stuff plus so much more. This is my favourite incarnation of the band and every disc features a number of improvisations so that each night's show is often radically different. That's a must own to me. 

I've got Road to Red which is very interesting and does what it says on the tin (well box actually)

Also have Heaven and Earth and purchased it when it first came out but yet to to take off the sellophane wrapper. I knows that sounds a bit mad but I'm very happy to have it and saving it for when I've got more time to devote to it.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 20 2022 at 02:24
BTW, there were neat boxset from Culture Factory USA about bands like Jeffesrson Airplane, Hot Tuna and Quicksilver Messenger Service (the latter should be in PA some day)
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/quicksilver-messenger-service/the-cd-vinyl-replica-collection-boxset/
https://culturefactory-usa.com/product/jefferson-airplane-cd-the-cd-vinyl-replica-collection-boxset/
https://culturefactory-usa.com/product/hot-tuna-cd-cd-vinyl-replica-collection-boxset/
https://culturefactory-usa.com/product/quicksilver-messenger-service-cd-the-cd-vinyl-replica-collection-boxset/

Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

I'm not sure what Puppy's intentions are in the RYM list, but if we start going down the single album expanded /sessions boxsets, but then every Tull & Crimson (& others) album boxset could be entered.
Sure, you got a point with Sailor's tale which "includes" three albums (Lizard as well)
In the same thought, I would rule out all of the 3 or 5 "classic" albums cheapie boxsets (they started out mainly as a BCS/Soony  idea, but spread out to every major label.

whatever floats Puppy's boat Big smileTongueWink

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: January 20 2022 at 06:36
I'd say the ELO box set Flashback is worth having.
And so is Yes -  In a Word.
I'd definitely say all the Marillion box sets are worth having.
And now for something completely not prog, the Adam Ant Box set -  Ant Box is well worth having.

Posted By: PaulG
Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 11:10
I used to have a lot of box sets. Someone stole a large majority of my cd and all of my vinyl circa 2011 timeframe. I was a big collector of everything a band I liked came out with. I had a lot of box sets on cd I’m sure won’t be re-released at least not in the same bit format and packaging. A lot of these were released at the height of the compact discs redbook format popularity so unreplaceable at least in original format. Must have been well over 200 box sets in multiple as 4 or more format. A combination of progressive rock and classic rock. I’m not as into collecting box sets now. Still, I would love to have these box sets still in my collection. I’m currently still replacing cds that went missing. I’m almost there with Prog as this is my first love. Classic rock and jazz fusion has a ways to go. I’m always buying new or new to me Prog releases too. Maybe I’ll get to the box sets yet I doubt it and it’s just not that important to me now. I used to be able to pick them up cheap via BMG too. I also had some imported from Europe and England. Oh well. I can comment on a few that survived this plus a few I picked up since. King Crimson The Great Deceiver is my favorite. The Genesis remasters and DVD audios of the Gabriel era is another essential. I picked up Uriah Heep You Can’t Keep a Good Band Down for the classics remastered and in mini lp format. These are minus the sleeve notes. One that survived is The Genesis Archives 67-75. One I picked up special order is “Un Biglietto Per L’Inferno.”    I ordered Deep Purple’s Listen Learn Read On years ago from Great Britain. I like the live cuts. The remakes/alternate takes bore me as most do. Another Italian release is Maxaphone’s From Cacoon to Butterfy. This one is only a two disc release. One of the nicest redone complete studios is Led Zeppelin The Complete Studio Recordings. The whole format is excellent. Recently picked up Atomic Rooster Sleeping For Years and Renaissance Live At Carnegie Hall both in clamshell. The Renaissance is incredible. A lot of extra live material. I bought the Atomic Rooster to replace the first two releases.   I also bought the new Tull Benifit 50th anniversary. Again I went all out on this for replacement of stolen 1 cd original. This is a six disc release. The Steven Wilson remasters are ear opening to say the least. I guess you could call the Djam Karet 3 cd reissue of Burning the Hard City and Suspension and Displacement a mini box set. It’s a limited edition too. Not bad. I got the recent Vander Graaf 3cd releases of Godbluff and Still Life in Lew of the whole box set. I have the other classic era Vander Graaf releases already and replaced these two that went missing. Might as well get the live bonus tracks and high def versions as replacements. I had the original Vander Graaf The Black Box. This is not available for me to replace, at least new. I’m thinking of getting the rest of the Renaissance clamshell reissue’s just for the large selection of live material included and the excellent price. Any box sets now are for unreleased live material or for releases needing replacement or I don’t have. Again I don’t want everything a band has to offer anymore. There’s to much new material I don’t have to enjoy. Im not rich either. If it’s already in my collection on original release I don’t need it. Unless it has been remastered as to make significant sonic difference or has a lot of previously unavailable live material. Keep on Progin my friends.

Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 11:46
After a bunch of great suggestions here on PA and on RYM my list has become pretty impressive!

I wish i owned everything on it!!!!

Yeah, i do love those cheap original series boxes just because it's a great way to get an entire disco or at least a partial disco of an artist in one fell swoop!

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/best-prog-box-sets/1/" rel="nofollow - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/best-prog-box-sets/1/

-------------

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 11:56
1st off - Welcome to the discussions forums @PaulG'

2nd - I'll discuss your post in a second, But I just wanted to offer some advice on posting. Take it or leave, your choice. When composing a large post, it can be helpful to the readers to have paragraphs to follow as opposed to one long block of text.

3rd - re: your comment about loosing your music to theft. I can completely empathize with you.

When I was in high school (grade 10, 1972) our school let students create taped radio shows to be played in the cafeteria during lunch periods. There were only about 5 student in the whole school who had any interest in doing it and 3 of them were A/V Club geeks. That left me and a buddy of mine who were the progheads back then to do shows of our own.
So, the very first time I was scheduled to tape my show (the day before broadcast) I brought in almost all my albums, about 60 at the time. I stored them in a cupboard in my English classroom (with the teacher's approval) until the end of the day since it was my first period.
Well, when I went back to get them at 3:30pm they were all gone. Every single one of them. It was a truly gut-wrenching realization. Of course the school bore no responsibility so I was left with nothing more than my dick in my hand for my efforts.
I've never let an album out of my house since. It took me a little over a year and a half to build my collection up again.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 12:13
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I was about to get The Cassiber Box, but Wayside refunded me because they didn't have it in stock. 

Just ordered it! Found a cheaper selection on Discogs.

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 12:32
Originally posted by PaulG PaulG wrote:

I used to have a lot of box sets. Someone stole a large majority of my cd and all of my vinyl circa 2011 timeframe.  

Man, that's a heart-breaking story. So sorry to hear about it.

Vaguely reminds me of when I worked in a record store in the late 80s. I had just started there and I noticed one guy who came in every day and I asked my co-workers about him. Turns out he had a massive jazz lp collection (tons of original pressings). His house caught fire and he lost most of his collection. Apparently he received a good amount of insurance money, so he was coming in to the store to try and replace his collection (now on CD), but he was also just trying to remember what he had in the lost collection (this is really prior to the internet).

Good luck rebuilding the collection. Great list of boxes you've noted here.

-------------

--Robyn Hitchcock

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 14:30

I actually found all five of their studio albums for sale at RéR for £5 each and free shipping, so I went with that instead of getting the box set. I tacked on two Stevan Tickmayer albums while I was at it, someone I haven't ever listened to before but the descriptions sounded like I might like his stuff. 

I'm actually rather surprised they offer free shipping to the U.S. from the U.K. Not sure how they're able to do that, but if this purchase goes through OK, I may be a repeat customer.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 14:56

I actually found all five of their studio albums for sale at RéR for £5 each and free shipping, so I went with that instead of getting the box set. I tacked on two Stevan Tickmayer albums while I was at it, someone I haven't ever listened to before but the descriptions sounded like I might like his stuff. 

I'm actually rather surprised they offer free shipping to the U.S. from the U.K. Not sure how they're able to do that, but if this purchase goes through OK, I may be a repeat customer.

Wow! Good score :) There are a lot of artists i collected the majority of their canon before a box set emerged so they aren't always a better deal but for some artists like Cassiber which i own NO albums from, a box set at only $50 is a true score! That's four studio albums and two live ones. Chuh ching!!!

-------------

Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 15:25
Some of these posts make for painful reading. I mean, shoplifting a musicassette of Queen’s Greatest Hits out of Woolworths is one thing, but the soulless wretch who would rip off another man’s record collection is lower than whale sh*t in my estimation. Sympathies to the victims, and may karma visit the perps.

Hell, I’m still sore about the hippy I lent three jazz LPs to in Newcastle in 1991 who vanished without returning them. Alastair, if you’re reading this, it’s not over. And when I finally track you down those LPs better not be scratched.

-------------

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: February 02 2022 at 10:44
Love From Planet Gong is a box set definitely worth looking into. It features several outstanding concerts . In the 70s and 80s I only had access to Gong Live Etc, Greasy Truckers, and Est Mort and although Greasy Truckers and Gong Live Etc are included here in their entirety there are several outstanding shows in the box set that I never heard and if you love Gong..they are a must!!

Material drawn from Gong Live Etc were excerpts from different shows. The performances they were edited , but here they are featured properly with completeness. You also get a disc of BBC recordings which I highly recommend and of course the Gong trilogy studio albums. The box set contains the Green Book. The Green Book features many of Daevid Allen's illustrations. Additionally you get a booklet which features photographs of the band along with its history.

The price of this box set unfortunately has increased at least a hundred dollars. I ordered it in November 2020 and with postage included it ended up being $126.00. When it arrived on my door step I was overwhelmed. When it's released again the retail price will decrease. It's a completely fascinating box set.. One of a kind that's for sure

Posted By: PaulG
Date Posted: February 04 2022 at 09:25
     Thanks for the emphatic responses concerning my cd and lp collection that was stolen. I empathize with all of you who had similar experiences. Well over 1500 CD’s alone were taken. What really hurt are the tools and other very personal belongings stolen like personal items from growing up.   I don’t think about this except when a topic like box sets is brought up or I think of my grandfather, for example. I had very personal things given to me by him and my grandmother. I also took care of him during the last two years of his life here on earth in the flesh. His spirit is something that can not be taken from me.   There’s so much more that’s important in life such as family and friends. Still music is a big part of me and keeps me company like a good friend. I’m moving along with replacing my collection. It’s fun replacing it as I can get the latest remasters and the box sets of catalogs.    
     Here’s a funny and sad story. I left home at a young age as I thought I was ready to conquer the world and I did just want to get away too, a common theme among some young people. I didn’t have an easy childhood. We weren’t poor and never went wanting. There’s more to growing up than having food and clothing, etc. I’m not complaining about my parents in any way either. Life has taught me a lot and we aren’t perfect. We have to do the best we can.
     I guess I could say I grew up with very demanding parents. This had its toll on me and I wanted to get away from this like a pressure that builds and builds and needs to be released. I released this pressure in the wrong way as I only knew how to then. It’s funny as I think back how much growing up I missed with not finishing high school or going to college with the friends I made growing up. Such an important time of life and not to be wasted. I didn’t realize how much I would miss by “growing up to fast.”
      I left everything at home including my vinyl collection, cds hadn’t been invented yet. I left home with the cloths on my back.   My collection consisted of the classic Prog releases and a lot of classic rock. I was also into the new at the time heavy metal movement including nwobhm and the thrash and speed metal movement. I don’t listen to thrash, speed metal or nwobhm anymore. The Prog metal movement had yet to start except for bands like Queensryche and Fates Warning who I was into.   I do listen to Prog metal still.
       I ended up crawling my way home as I had ended up literally homeless for several years off and on, mostly on.   I had found I wasn’t ready for living on my own. I did leave at the age of 16 rather hastily and had a problem with drugs. I’m getting a bit personal and off topic but oh well. I don’t touch drugs now and this has been for a long long time. I’m very much against drugs and the waste of life they produce. They almost killed me and at such a young age.
       When I finally came back it was to a much different house. My mother was single as my father left. It was now my mother, my brother and my sister was in college. All of my friends had gone through their growth spurts, maturity physically and otherwise for the most. So I had to acclimate to a lot. Anyways my dear brother was listening to a lot of the music I grew up with mixed with hair metal only to gravitate to the God forbidden rap and hip hop genres. He had my vinyl collection all set up for his D.J.ing he was into. This is the age of using records once again God forbid for making that dumb scratch sound d.j.s were and are so proud of and used in rap and hip hop. He was also using records as samples.
     The first time I saw this he had my entire collection together and had King Crimson’s “In the Court of the Crimson King” 21st Century Schizoid Man all cued up and ready for a scratch session. I proceeded to watch him make a scratchy mess of my vinyl. This was all new to me and shocking. I said Donald that ruins the vinyl!   My vinyl was now all ruined as he had gone through all of them.
     I have to laugh now. I accepted this immediately as I was just happy and grateful to be back home off the streets alive and with my brother and the rest of my family minus my father. I love my family dearly though we are currently estranged unfortunately. I was happy I was able to contribute to my brothers happiness with my vinyl collection and got over the fact they were all but ruined for proper listening immediately. It was much more important my brother was happy. This was during a most important period of life for him with finding himself. He was 12 years old, entering puberty and junior high school. I remembered when I was 12 and how music, girls and finding my interests and personality and unique attributes had started with a flood.
     It was so important he did not go the route I went. I was grateful Prog lived on in the samples he created. At least I could contribute to a music form I don’t like at all with my Prog and classic rock collection. Some of the music he created actually sounded good with the samples. So I pretended to like his music to the point I actually liked a “few” songs. What I did like and appreciate was his creativity using samples. It was so important to be that big brother he missed out on for several years. I had a lot of making up to do and did the best I could. He was the man in the house while I was gone and I was proud and sad about this at the same time. I still am, mostly sad. At least I could fulfill this part now and I did.
     I know I got off topic yet I needed to vent a bit. Thanks for listening. I will not make this a habit.

Date Posted: February 04 2022 at 12:11
^ that is a sad story. My condolences. I had a storage unit break in one time and lost hundreds of LPs, CDs and other crap. I can relate. Music collections are particularly distressing due to how much emotional connection we have to them.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk