Two bands I have a hard time liking.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123784
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 07:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Two bands I have a hard time liking.
Posted By: gr8dane
Subject: Two bands I have a hard time liking.
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:25
Probably done before.But not sure.
But two bands that to me are rather ,ehh ,...I do not really appreciate ,but find somewhat similar.quirky.
Though I love Quiet Zone Pleasure Dome.
But that's about it.Van is my choice.  

-------------
Shake & bake.

Replies:
Posted By: tempest_77
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:28
I do enjoy some Van der Graaf Generator songs, and I recognize that they have several excellent albums, but most of their stuff just isn't my thing.

I have a bit of the same problem with Gentle Giant, but to a much lesser extent.

-------------
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on https://tempestsounds.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - my bandcamp !

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:31
Both are great and among the best prog bands ever but went with VDGG.

Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:38
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

But two bands that to me are rather ,ehh ,...I do not really appreciate ,but find somewhat similar.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:42

Good pick, their most underrated masterpiece. Got to say I love most of them though.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 20:52
I kind of feel the same way about both bands.  I think it might have something to do with them having zero radio play in the US.  I have no history with them.  I bought most of their albums long after I was into the main 6 or 7 prog bands and can't say that I have any nostalgia with them.  With VDGG I'm not really a fan of the cat's tail in the grinder saxophone playing nor Peter Hammill's voice...which is weird because he is an influence on Rob Halford, who is one of my all-time favorites and Matthew Parmenter from Discipline reminds me of him, and I am a big fan of him and Discipline.  I guess that I like them well enough...but they are just kind of another band to me, nothing special like they are with so many PAers.

With Gentle Giant, they are a good band.  Nothing really objectionable with them.  I enjoy listening to their albums, but again I just don't really have a history with them so they are again, just another band, nothing special.  Their vocal harmonies are top notch though and Knots is a pretty awesome song...so I guess I've typed myself into voting for Gentle Giant. 

-------------

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 20:54
Like them both so it's a bit of a disservice to VDGG to be voting for GG.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 20:57
VdGG

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 21:43
well one band I really dislike and find pretentious  and the other one has a great rhythm section and can really groove---in a quirky way.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 21:54
From the eighties, when I started to listen prog, I have tried to like GG, but I just canīt. I have tried their albums many times without result. VdGG was also in the eighties band that really didnīt fully open me. Now I really love Pawn Hearts & Godbluff and they havenīt made a bad album. But still they arenīt in my top10 greatest progbands list. So my vote is VdGG.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 22:05
I don't have a strong liking for either one, neither really does anything for me. But I chose VdGG as I have a slight liking for more of their albums than GG.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 22:34
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

well one band I really dislike and find pretentious  and the other one has a great rhythm section and can really groove---in a quirky way.

I can't really see anyone calling VDGG pretentious(except for maybe their lyrics)so I'm going to guess that GG is who you are referring to and that you voted for VDGG(the quirky one). 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 13 2020 at 22:58
VDGG but love both .

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 02:45
I know EXACTLY how you feel.
For all the 70s and 80s, I hated GG. I just could not understand what they were trying to do. Then someone made me listen properly to Free Hand, and suddenly, I understood. I don't like everything they have done, but some of it (Knots, Proclamation, Free Hand amongst many others) is amongst the best prog ever and I listen to them a lot.
VDGG I just cannot cope with at all. They have a fine keyboards player, but Peter Hamill's voice drives me away immediately and their compositions just don't appeal.
And I feel exactly the same about King Crimson. They may be extremely talented musicians, but I cannot stand most of their music and I find Fripp's guitar style to be cold, unemotional and about as pleasant as finger nails scraping down a blackboard.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 02:52
These are two top tier prog bands, and I love how they divide this board so much. This means they're doing something right in regards to progressive rock IMHO!

#2Prog4U 

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 03:16
I chose Gentle Giant before I even looked at the poll choices. Smile

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 03:20
VDGG. I like the derangement and darkness in their music.

Never really took to Gentle Giant. Octopus was a good album, but overall there were just a few tracks here and there I liked. A lot of the time I found them quite irritating.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 04:15
I can't vote because I like them both pretty equally.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 05:46
VDGG just over GG.
It was mentioned before, both great bands, but neither spend a lot of time on my turntable.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 05:49
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I can't vote because I like them both pretty equally.

Same here, love them both.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 06:18
I love Gentle giant, and I like VDGG.

Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 06:50
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I kind of feel the same way about both bands.  I think it might have something to do with them having zero radio play in the US.  I have no history with them.  I bought most of their albums long after I was into the main 6 or 7 prog bands and can't say that I have any nostalgia with them.  With VDGG I'm not really a fan of the cat's tail in the grinder saxophone playing nor Peter Hammill's voice...which is weird because he is an influence on Rob Halford, who is one of my all-time favorites and Matthew Parmenter from Discipline reminds me of him, and I am a big fan of him and Discipline.  I guess that I like them well enough...but they are just kind of another band to me, nothing special like they are with so many PAers.

With Gentle Giant, they are a good band.  Nothing really objectionable with them.  I enjoy listening to their albums, but again I just don't really have a history with them so they are again, just another band, nothing special.  Their vocal harmonies are top notch though and Knots is a pretty awesome song...so I guess I've typed myself into voting for Gentle Giant. 

Yes.That sax does not help, for sure.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 06:53
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I know EXACTLY how you feel.
For all the 70s and 80s, I hated GG. I just could not understand what they were trying to do. Then someone made me listen properly to Free Hand, and suddenly, I understood. I don't like everything they have done, but some of it (Knots, Proclamation, Free Hand amongst many others) is amongst the best prog ever and I listen to them a lot.
VDGG I just cannot cope with at all. They have a fine keyboards player, but Peter Hamill's voice drives me away immediately and their compositions just don't appeal.
And I feel exactly the same about King Crimson. They may be extremely talented musicians, but I cannot stand most of their music and I find Fripp's guitar style to be cold, unemotional and about as pleasant as finger nails scraping down a blackboard.

Glad you got to like them, eventually .
I have tried and tried and tried GG.It's not happening.
Now I have promised myself not to waste anymore time on them.
There is just so much other great stuff.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I can't really see anyone calling VDGG pretentious(except for maybe their lyrics)so I'm going to guess that GG is who you are referring to and that you voted for VDGG(the quirky one). 

wrong---I have tried many times to get into VDGG---but between the singer it sounds like a spoof of what prog from the 70's should sound like---I like a natural voice not a melodramatic put on one---not that it doesnt have some good moments....but GG has a legendary groove with a great bass player (underrated) and some beautiful vocals from both singers. Voted GG...although not a fan of some of their albums.

Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:27

wrong---I have tried many times to get into VDGG---but between the singer it sounds like a spoof of what prog from the 70's should sound like---I like a natural voice not a melodramatic put on one---not that it doesnt have some good moments....but GG has a legendary groove with a great bass player (underrated) and some beautiful vocals from both singers. Voted GG...although not a fan of some of their albums.

That's what I initially thought but I see the weird pretentious applying more to GG than VDGG so that's why I came to that conclusion. Anyway, it's all good. We like what we like. For me VDGG just packs more of an emotional punch although GG are one of the best of all time also and made some of the most complex prog without being too avant garde.

Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:34
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I respect your opinion but if you are going to only like or listen to bands who got radio play then you are only going to listen to 6 or 7 prog bands(if that many). Wink 

I think I get what you are saying though but maybe not. It seems that you are comparing them to the first prog bands you got into because they were around the same time. But what about later prog bands like Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Big Big Train, etc? By your own admission nothing can be as good as those six or seven just because those are the first ones you heard. At least that's how it sounds to me. There's a lot of good and great stuff out there. Some of it just has to grow on you.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 08:47
I'll take Gentle Giant....especially the first 2 albums ,but all have something to offer.

VDGG....some very interesting music and concepts to be sure...if only they could find a  decent singer.
Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 08:58
Never got into VdGG.

GG on the other hand, maybe my favourite band. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 09:12
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

VDGG....some very interesting music and concepts to be sure...if only they could find a  decent singer.
Wink

That's why I like Quiet Zone.Peter's singing seems a little more relaxed and much easier to digest.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 10:34
Do I need to say who I voted for? I don't think so.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 10:35

But two bands that to me are rather ,ehh ,...I do not really appreciate ,but find somewhat similar.quirky.

I clicked on Gentle Giant by mistake, thinking you were asking me which band I have a hard time in liking, instead of which band is my favourite. Smile

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 11:25
Picked GG.   I never could get in to VDGG. Not sure why , just doesn't work for me. 
I use to be on the fence with GG. It took me a while to warm up to them but now I like them, at least some of their stuff.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 15:08
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I love Gentle giant, and I like VDGG.

Exactly that!Thumbs Up

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 18:30
VDGG is among my 20 favorite bands ever, but GG is a top five. Loved their music since the first listen over 30 years ago. 

-------------

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: August 14 2020 at 23:37
Gentle Giant takes it for me. Where VDGG just brush the edge of displeasure to my ears in certain passages, GG never come close. And while not everything GG plays may be my cup of tea, the overall effect always fascinates me and often gets stuck in my head the rest of the day.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 00:04

Ray Shulman is the most overlooked bass player in prog rock IMHO. Guy is right behind Squire (he's trailing his cape)!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 00:12
Strange - these 2 bands are definitely challenging. But persistence and an open mind wins.
During my early days of Prog (mid-late 80’s) I was seeking the most demanding, ‘out there’ kinds of music. I did bite off more than I could chew when it came to Hammill / VDGG, then later, the Giant.
They eventually sucked me in to their world, and the rest is history.
I think that Death Metal bands were the hardest for me to grasp. Again, phenomenal stuff there.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 01:25
Hi,

I'm always concerned when someone makes a post saying they can't get into something or other ... like it's the musician's fault that the person can not "get it", or "understand it" ... or not find the melody that syncs with their heart.

I'm not a fan of Beethoven or Mozart, but I respect their musicianship ... and over the years, they deserve the credit and appreciation they have gotten, and the same goes for GG and VdGG. AND ... KC.

The "different" ones are almost exclusively the ones that are remembered, and it does not have anything to do with how you feel about it ... some music stands out compositionally a lot better than a "format" song that is usually most liked here, despite the comments that I get that smaller songs can also be "prog" ... I was not talking about the size ... it's the form, as there are many "small" songs that are far more "prog" than a lot of other things, that are considered "prog" ...

You may not like Dostoyevsky, or Melville ... but do you really have to bring out a great marching band onto a football field to show that you don't like them? They don't click with you .... NEXT ... 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 03:15
Two of my absolute favourite bands, and I love them both.

They both created some highly intelligent, highly creative, very original music, that has depths and layers that allow you to explore their music time and time again and make wonderful new discoveries time after time.

A tough call, but I've gone with Gentle Giant.

GG had, IMO, a run of 6 five star albums (ATT, TF, Octopus, IAGH, TPATG, and Freehand), whilst I would give five star ratings to 3 VdGG albums (Pawn Hearts, Godbluff, and Still Life)

So, on that basis GG gets my vote, but these are two completely awesome bands.

Personally I fail to understand how anyone who claims to have an ear for progressive rock music can fail to appreciate the sheer brilliance of these artists.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 04:23

Both are acquired tastes, and you should keep trying, maybe reaching for filmed performances to understand the music better.

I had bought (used/second hand) Pawn Hearts and Octopus back then (I was +/-14 at the time) , but couldn't get into them. But unlike the stuff I didn't like, which I discarded to make dough & room for other albums, I kept both and I even tried Still Life and Free Hand, cos I knew it was something I diodn't understand, not something I thought sucked.

GG took mr roughly 15 years before I started liking it, oncce I understodd many classical/medieval music.

VdGG was another can of worms: I WTF'd at Hammill's voice and I didn't understand what Jaxon was doing with his sax. When I had my job at the Belgian TV in the very early 90's, I saw both the Godbluff and the Lighthouse keeper videos (filmed/shot by the house), and if I still didn't like Hammill's voice, at least I undetstood Jaxon's sax. Then I chanced on a Hammill solo gig (I mean he was alone) in some flemish anarchist club (Exito 13, I think, and he didn't get paid despite the fact that there were 75 people inside a room only allowed for 25), I finally saw what his singing was about, and I finally had the keys to understand VdGG and PH solo.

Both bands are in my tops today, but neither are for every day spins. I must be in the mood.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 04:58
Took me a few bong rips back in ‘89 to realise Hammill was my soul-mate

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:05
GG at the moment but I can see VDGG becoming my favourite band eventually.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

GG at the moment but I can see VDGG becoming my favourite band eventually.

VdGG are already my favourite band, and I can't see GG ever topping them.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk