Print Page | Close Window

The Doors of the 21st Century

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123870
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 15:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Doors of the 21st Century
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: The Doors of the 21st Century
Date Posted: August 23 2020 at 16:44
When the Music's Over and Summer's Almost Gone, spare a thought for Jim Morrison: forever remembered as one of the Riders on the Storm in the world of Psychedelic Rock. When Jim left for France with his L.A Woman by his side in the Indian Summer of 1971, no one could possibly have guessed he would Break On Through to the Other Side at the End of the Night in his Morrison Hotel room in Paris, after returning from a Moonlight Drive. Only earlier that day, he'd been cruising down The Soft Parade of Paris storefronts with his Wild Child L.A. girlfriend, while Waiting for the Sun to go down on the Champs de Elysee. When fans and fellow band members of The Doors heard the shocking news that Jim Morrison had died,  An American Prayer was said for him around the world in the Strange Days that followed. That wasn't The End for The Doors though, because events have now come Full Circle. The legacy of The Doors music lives on forever, and as you'll hear in the fabulous concert below,  Other Voices have carried the timeless music of Jim Morrison & The Doors well into the 21st century. So what are we waiting for..... The time to hesitate is through, no time to wallow in the mire, so come on baby, Light My FireSmile  Heart

All songs and albums in Blue Highlights by Jim Morrison and The Doors

The Doors of the 21st Century: L.A. Woman Live - 2004 (featuring original members of The Doors: Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger with Ian Astbury as Jim Morrison!)

Replies:
Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: August 23 2020 at 17:09
^ Just a note - it was not a hotel room in Paris. Wink

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: August 23 2020 at 17:14
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ Just a note - it was not a hotel room in Paris. Wink

I know, but I had to fit "Morrison Hotel" in there somewhere. Smile

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 01:20
Midnight drive? I giggled. The song is called Moonlight Drive. 

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 01:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Midnight drive? I giggled. The song is called Moonlight Drive. 

Thanks! I'll edit it, but at least it gave you a giggle. Smile

In my defence, it was getting pretty late by the time I'd finally finished writing, editing & colouring all of The Doors songs in. Smile

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:00
I only love the Doors of the 20th century Big smileLOL

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:03

I only love the Doors of the 20th century Big smileLOL

Oh well, I can't please everyone. Smile

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:11
^ in recent years all sorts of live albums of the band, demos and alternative takes on songs have been released, some of them quite good, so why would i listen to Manzarek & Krieger with a Morrison imitator? Confused

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:23

^ in recent years all sorts of live albums of the band, demos and alternative takes on songs have been released, some of them quite good, so why would i listen to Manzarek & Krieger with a Morrison imitator? Confused

I really enjoyed The Doors in the 21st Century, but if it's not your cup of tea, than that's fine by me. Hey! That rhymes! Smile 

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I really enjoyed The Doors in the 21st Century, but if it's not your cup of tea, than that's fine by me. Hey! That rhymes! Smile 

help me understand here: so you'd rather listen to Manzarek/Krieger with the guy from The Cult to a live The Doors performance with Jim Morrison? Confused

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:32
^ No, I'm not saying I'd rather have The Doors in the 21st Century instead of the original performance of The Doors with Jim Morrison, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a 21st century tribute concert to The Doors, featuring one half of the original band. Smile

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:37

Yes, Ian Astbury of The Cult is a Morrison imitator, but he's a very good imitator, because not only does Ian Astbury look like Jim Morrison - he sounds like Jim Morrison too. Smile

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:40

Yes, Ian Astbury of The Cult is a Morrison imitator, but he's a very good imitator, because not only does Ian Astbury look like Jim Morrison - he sounds like Jim Morrison too. Smile

that does not answer my question. 

Why would I listen to Manzarek/Krieger with a Morrison imitator when there are live performances with Jim? 

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:50
^ There's no argument from me. Why would you listen to The Doors of the 21st Century when you can listen to The Doors of the 20th Century Live at The Hollywood Bowl in 1968. Smile

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 03:47

Why would I listen to Manzarek/Krieger with a Morrison imitator when there are live performances with Jim? 
Would you rather Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger had just packed away their instruments and not bothered making a comeback at all!?? Confused

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 03:49

Would you rather Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger had just packed away their instruments and not bothered making a comeback at all!?? Confused

still does not answer my question. LOL
why do you answer a question with a question? LOL

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 05:58
I have no problem with The Doors of the 21st Century - great to see a bit of a tribute to their wonderful music.
Great to see Ray living it up. Morrison is cool, but my favourite album of theirs is Other Voices !!

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 06:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I have no problem with The Doors of the 21st Century - great to see a bit of a tribute to their wonderful music.
Great to see Ray living it up. Morrison is cool, but my favourite album of theirs is Other Voices !!

That's the most unique opinion about The Doors I've ever seen. Big smile

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 06:57
I did see Doors w/ Ian,and it was very good.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 06:59

True. OV followed closely by Waiting for the Sun.
And with Full Circle, Four Billion Souls, Verdilac, The Mosquito and The Piano Bird are pure gold. There (was ?) a cool live performance from ‘72 posted on the toob. I think Ray f**ked up during the show. Yes, on Ships w/ Sails.

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:02
^ To make a full circle, we need one more inuque person whose favourite album is "Full Circle". Smile

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:05
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ To make a full circle, we need one more inuque person whose favourite album is "Full Circle". Smile
Inuque ? 😆

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:06

True. OV followed closely by Waiting for the Sun.

Waiting for the Sun could have been great if Celebration of the lizard was allowed. 
I'd rate it 4th or even 5th if I was to make a list from best to worst or better said favorite to least favorite - debut, Strange Days and Morrison Hotel, even LA Woman. 

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:20

I totally agree that The Doors of the 21st Century is a great tribute, but are you really saying Other Voices is your favourite album by The Doors? You cannot be serious! Geek

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:23

I totally agree that The Doors of the 21st Century is a great tribute, but are you really saying Other Voices is your favourite album by The Doors? You cannot be serious! Geek

Like you are really saying those are your favorite Yes albums, in the list you made earlier today? LOL

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:32
^ Yes, but don't forget I did have three classic Yes albums in my Top 7 list too. That's why Yes are one of my favourite prog bands, because most of their modern post-1970's albums sound every bit as good as their classic albums from the 1970's era, but that's just my opinion. Smile

Anyway, just for the record, my favourite record by The Doors is their debut album.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 14:31
I read somewhere- i think from a couple of different sources- (and yes you cant believe all you read) many years ago that after Jim Died the remaining Doors were very keen to try out Howard Werth from Audience! I'm not sure if an audition took place or indeed where they would have heard or come across him.. dont think Audience toured the states though i know their lps were released and promoted fairly heavily on Elektra so maybe thats where.. Good God, the mind boggles.. what a strange outfit that would have been!! Could well be just another of those urban myths that were generated ten-a-penny back then but what a band that would have been!

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 14:45
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I read somewhere- i think from a couple of different sources- (and yes you cant believe all you read) many years ago that after Jim Died the remaining Doors were very keen to try out Howard Werth from Audience! I'm not sure if an audition took place or indeed where they would have heard or come across him.. dont think Audience toured the states though i know their lps were released and promoted fairly heavily on Elektra so maybe thats where.. Good God, the mind boggles.. what a strange outfit that would have been!! Could well be just another of those urban myths that were generated ten-a-penny back then but what a band that would have been!

At least Howard Werth couldn't be accused of trying to imitate Jim Morrison if he HAD joined The Doors, and he may have attracted a big Audience. Smile

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 15:31

For some reason, the impact Other Voices had on me back in the late-80’s was massive and remains a profound album for me (I was getting stoned a lot during those years )

Date Posted: August 24 2020 at 16:18
^ I'll definitely give the Other Voices album another listen now, bearing in mind you really are serious about it being The Doors best album. I was hoping to find the full album on YouTube, but I did find this Beat Club performance from 1972 instead. Smile

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 06:20
The Mike Flowers Pops 21st century version of Light My Fire. Smile

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 06:23

is this a parody band?

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 06:41
^ Yes, I believe some of The Mike Flowers Pops songs featured in the Austin Powers movies. They're pretty good though, for a parody band.  Smile

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 08:44

is this a parody band?

The videos and the covers are great in a loungy cool kinda way.Big smileLOL

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 09:20
^ I thought so too. The Mike Flowers Pops also did  a great cover version of Oasis' "Wonderwall" which I posted in another thread, and from my point of view, it's much better than the original version by the Gallagher brothers. Smile

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 14:06

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

At least Howard Werth couldn't be accused of trying to imitate Jim Morrison if he HAD joined The Doors, and he may have attracted a big Audience. Smile

LOL boom boom ting!

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 15:01

is this a parody band?
Yes, The Mike Flowers Pops are actually a parody of the sixties band, Harpers Bizarre. Notice the resemblance between the two blonde-haired frontmen.  Smile

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 16:13

^ I thought so too. The Mike Flowers Pops also did  a great cover version of Oasis' "Wonderwall" which I posted in another thread, and from my point of view, it's much better than the original version by the Gallagher brothers. Smile

Yep.Got the album.
I go to youtube every now and a gain to watch the Videos.So much fun.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: August 25 2020 at 16:14

is this a parody band?
Yes, The Mike Flowers Pops are actually a parody of the sixties band, Harpers Bizarre. Notice the resemblance between the two blonde-haired frontmen.  Smile

Ah,did not know this.Will check it out. :-))
Great stuff .Smile

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:40
The Mike Flowers Pops also recorded their own inimitable version of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" Smile

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:43

The Mike Flowers Pops also recorded their own inimitable version of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" Smile

are you trolling your own thread? 
good job if you are... ConfusedLOL

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:48
^ As I've said before, that's not trolling, that's rock 'n' rolling. Thumbs Up

You just never know where these tribute threads are going to lead. Who would have guessed that a tribute thread to The Doors would also lead to a tribute to The Mike Flowers Pops, due to their "Light My Fire" connection. Smile

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:57
^ you, the creator of this thread, going off topic like that it's both ridiculous and kinda funny. But hey, it's your thread. 

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:04

are you trolling your own thread? 
good job if you are... ConfusedLOL
Cristi, this comment is gold

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:05

Are you trolling your own thread? 

What's this obsession you have with "trolling"? There are no trolls that I know of here at ProgArchives. The only trolls I know of live under bridges. I posted the Mike Flowers Pops "Argentina" video in response to gr8Dane showing an interest in the band, but if you don't like it, then you can just "Walk On By" Smile

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:08
LOL

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:11
Trolling has meant playing the fool to expose others foolishness, I've trolled myself many times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Mike Flowers Pops version of Light My Fire. The best parody acts actually manage to perform music well, I find, with their own spin, and I happen to like lounge music.

A blast from my childhood from a Canadian TV show:

Loved the Doors, and an "underrated" keyboardist:

As for the Doors of the 21st Century, good cover band. I'd like to hear them do "21st Century Schizoid Man" as the Doors.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:15
Jose Feliciano, anyone ? Light my fire, light my fire, light my fire, light, light. light.....

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:20
Thanks Logan, for posting the Rick Moranis "Turning Japanese" video. I loved it! Thumbs Up

I can't say I loved "Light My Fire" being shredded though. LOL

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 06:25
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Trolling has meant playing the fool to expose others foolishness, I've trolled myself many times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Mike Flowers Pops version of Light My Fire. The best parody acts actually manage to perform music well, I find, with their own spin, and I happen to like lounge music.

A blast from my childhood from a Canadian TV show:

Loved the Doors, and an "underrated" keyboardist:

As for the Doors of the 21st Century, good cover band. I'd like to hear them do "21st Century Schizoid Man" as the Doors.

SCTV is the BEST.SmileLOLClap

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: August 26 2020 at 06:33
^ I used to watch SCTV too. We had the entire series on You Tube Episodes & Music. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: September 15 2020 at 10:00
Since for a long time the USSR was a bit of another galaxy for westerners, there's always a temptation for both sides of the Iron Curtain to draw parallels. 

Who's the Soviet The Doors? Well, bands like that simply could not exist in the USSR since mid-Stalin through later-Gorbachev. Drug-concerned, shamanism, blues - all the forbidden stuff. 

Who's the post-Soviet The Doors on the formerly Soviet soil then? First that came to my mind is the band Nol' - Zero, that is. 

Their two greatest hits: 

Idu, Kuryu - I'm Walking, I'm Smoking (about smoking hashish)

and Chelovek I Koshka - A Man And A Cat (about waiting for a drug dealer) 

Not the same, for sure, but I failed to find a better equivalent. 

-------------
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk