URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123980
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 07:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Deep Purple vs Kansas
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Deep Purple vs Kansas
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 09:35
With me you get more variety not just the same old binary options crap. Tongue

Anyway, I had thought about this for a while. I don't think it's been done yet and if it has I didn't see it. And no I wasn't thinking about how Steve Morse played in both bands when I first thought of doing it. That is just a coincidence.

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 11:14
Deep Purple

I do love Kansas, even most of their 80s work. Big smile

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 11:58
I enjoy both, but I prefer Ritchie's post-Purple band, Rainbow (the first three albums with Dio). 

I'm a Kansas fan. Kansas was a prog band before their shift to AOR, and Deep Purple was and is a hard rock band. It's perfectly okay to like both.

The guy who made Purple interesting for me was Jon Lord. Take Jon Lord out of the equation and DP is a much, much less interesting band. Sorry, but it's true. Jon Lord was awesome!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 13:10
I love both, but Deep Purple was my first favorite band so I voted for them.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 13:15
Two of the most important bands ever for me. I loved deep purple first, but Kansas’s influence on me is far beyond that of any other band ever. Changed my life, and only one of these bands made song for America and Journey from Mariabronn. Back in early high school I used to play machine head, in rock and burn daily, but the vote has to go to Kansas who I still listen to regularly.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 14:26
I don't really get this poll. Purple to me are a great hard rock band and Kansas are a prog/ aor band.
Still I voted for Purple because of in rock which is a milestone rock album up there with led zep 2 and black sabbath. Kansas are a fine band though.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 15:10
Without much thinking Purple win for me. When I heard their "In Rock" in the year of 1981 or 1982 I was taken aback. It was like storm for me then... They influenced my young years immensely and though I don't listen to them regularly today I love them anyway. Especially for their 70's works. It's nothing against Kansas (I listen to them much more frequently last few years comparing to DP).

-------------

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 15:23
Apple and orange...

I mean both are delicious.

Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 15:43
I'm more of a Kansas fan so voted for them but I like DP quite a bit too.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 16:32
Deep Purple--not a huge fan of Kansas---might be the vocals.

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 17:17
I do love Kansas, but Deep Purple.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 19:17
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

I don't really get this poll. Purple to me are a great hard rock band and Kansas are a prog/ aor band.
Still I voted for Purple because of in rock which is a milestone rock album up there with led zep 2 and black sabbath. Kansas are a fine band though.

Bands don't have to be similar to go up against eachother in a poll. 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 19:29
Kansas.............other than Blackmore, an excellent guitarist, DP  never impressed me. Some  good tracks here and there but imho considering the talent of Blackmore and Lord...a batch of mediocre albums and songs.
PA has Kansas rated /voted at four 4 star albums with DP at only 2. And the later recent Kansas things are far more interesting for me than DP .

Interestingly vocals were mentioned above as a reason for liking DP more.....I liked Rod Evans (Captian Beyond's first lp is better imho than anything DP did) better than Gillan who's  high pitched wails were annoying . And Walsh was a great vocalist in his prime on the early Kansas lp's.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 19:58
Deep Purple, pretty much enjoy everything about them more than Kansas, the guitar, the keys, the vocals, the tunes. The run of In Rock to Burn are landmarks in the development of Hard Rock and Metal.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Booba Kastorsky
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 20:37
Deep Purple for me, because I discovered them when I was a teenager, so they left very deep impression. I still think that Machine Head is one of the best rock albums of all time, and Made in Japan is the best live rock album. Not too much prog per see in their music, but they are clearly influenced the entire prog metal genre. 
I discovered Kansas much later, as a mature person, so it didn't impress me as much as music that I listened when I was a teenager. They recorded a lot of excellent and good songs that I like, but in my opinion DP is simply in a different, higher league. Not to mention they classic line-up are all star musicians. 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 20:47
DP, but pretty much a pass all around 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: September 06 2020 at 23:41
Different bands, but I like them equally, so that's the way i voted.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: September 07 2020 at 05:57
Funny how The Concerto For Group And Orchestra (especially the second one) and The Gemini Suite get forgotten about so easily. Not to mention the highly original instrumental work (Wring That Neck, Mandrake Root etc usw) that left pretenders to the throne, if there were any, in the dust. And we've not even got around to the moments when this band that had possibly one of the top two singers in rock (sic).

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 07 2020 at 07:20
Both bands are great, and I really enjoy their music, but I'll give the edge to Deep Purple, for very personal reasons.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: September 08 2020 at 00:13
both equally and also I love both their recent albums equally.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: September 08 2020 at 06:10
I like Purple a lot

but

Kansas

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 08 2020 at 07:02
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Deep Purple, pretty much enjoy everything about them more than Kansas, the guitar, the keys, the vocals, the tunes. The run of In Rock to Burn are landmarks in the development of Hard Rock and Metal.

This. Also, Made in Japan has got to be considered one of the ten greatest rock live albums of all time.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Enchant X
Date Posted: September 08 2020 at 07:13
Shocked while I consider 'child in time' one of the greatest songs ever written I  really love Deep Purple I`ll always vote kansas in these types of polls, for me this is a very close poll and a valid one I`m just thrilled Kansas are getting some votes knowing how popular Deep purple are. I'm really enjoying Kansas new album I play it three times a day I like it that much, so for me Kansas in my life at this stage are more relevant. Get Kansas new album it's a great listen and the songs really stick in your head. Tongue

I'd consider Kansas 'two for the show' as one of the best if not the best live album I've ever heard.

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 01:50
Deep Purple by far.
And I dig 70's Kansas.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 10:55
Deep Purple 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 11:03
The difference between these bands is huge, it would be more better is to compare kansas to yes or more similiar bands.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 12:59
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

This. Also, Made in Japan has got to be considered one of the ten greatest rock live albums of all time.

Absolutely, it's in my top 5 all-time live albums and I consider it the definitive document of the band.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 14:25
Deep Purple all the way for me! No doubts

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: September 10 2020 at 15:47
I've heard one or two songs by Kansas. It did not leave me very impressed. On the other hand I love the classic Mark 2 era Purple.

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 15:54
Both bands deserve praise and love by proggers. However, in terms of prog/psychedelic sound, Deep Purple’s overall discography from the 60s to present outdoes Kansas’s.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 16:11
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

I like Purple a lot

but

Kansas
This sounds about right to me.

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: September 13 2020 at 16:12
Deep Purple!

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: September 19 2020 at 12:50
I like Deep Purple a lot, but I like Leftoverture and Point of Know Return more than anything by Deep Purple.

Posted By: Lieutenant_Lan
Date Posted: February 24 2021 at 21:05
deep purple easily 

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 05 2023 at 09:15
gentle bump! Smile

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: August 05 2023 at 09:18
Kansas for me...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 05 2023 at 11:40
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

gentle bump! Smile

Birthday bumps! It's Kansas' 50th anniversary this year, but I'm making a Purpendicular vote for Ritchie Blackmore's band. Smile

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: August 05 2023 at 12:13
Voted for both
Both bands had their ups and their downs.
Limited to their pre 80 years careers

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk