Print Page | Close Window

The Hawkwind Marathon

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124068
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 13:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Hawkwind Marathon
Posted By: BaldFriede
Subject: The Hawkwind Marathon
Date Posted: September 19 2020 at 12:30
Jean and I are currently doing the Hawkwind marathon. That means we listen to all Hawkwind albums and solo albums of Hawkwind members (Dave Brock, Robert Calvert, Nik Turner, Simon House, Steve Swindells, Alan Davey, Harvey Bainbridge, Huw Lloyd-Langton etc.) in chronological order. We are still in the early stages (current album is "Hall of the Mountain Grill"). Since all these 60+ albums somehow deal with weird SF/fantasy/mythology/dystopia content we will probably believe in Qanon when we are finished.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Replies:
Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 19 2020 at 12:43
Knowing you two, you are probably making it even more authentic by recreating Stacia's dancing.  WinkLOL

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: September 19 2020 at 12:48
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Knowing you two, you are probably making it even more authentic by recreating Stacia's dancing.  WinkLOL

Most definitely!

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: September 19 2020 at 13:04
I once did a marathon of listening to all of Santana's albums, including the Marathon album. Smile

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 06:43
I wish I had the time to do such a thing. I can only listen to one or maybe two albums a day. HAVE FUN!!!!

Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 07:36
I'm on a Camel marathon at the moment, including all of their available Live albums on YouTube, as well as Peter Bardens solo albums.

I like Hawkwind too, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to doing a Hawkwind marathon.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 09:05
Hi,

Strange ... I just got to listening to DoReMi and Space Ritual ... still love those albums!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 20 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Jean and I are currently doing the Hawkwind marathon. That means we listen to all Hawkwind albums and solo albums of Hawkwind members (Dave Brock, Robert Calvert, Nik Turner, Simon House, Steve Swindells, Alan Davey, Harvey Bainbridge, Huw Lloyd-Langton etc.) in chronological order. We are still in the early stages (current album is "Hall of the Mountain Grill"). Since all these 60+ albums somehow deal with weird SF/fantasy/mythology/dystopia content we will probably believe in Qanon when we are finished.

LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: MaldonTerryWood
Date Posted: September 22 2020 at 06:56
You don't mention Lemmy. Please don't forget Motorhead...

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 04:05
I think you can both make it simple and not bother after 1976. ;-)

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 04:11
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

there are a lot of excellent Hawkwind albums after 1976. you would probably be very surprised how versatile their recent releases "Into the Woods" and "All above the Skylark" are, for example. and "Xitintoday", the 1978 solo album of Nik Turner, is in my opinion one of the best albums ever

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 07:24
Nik's a different matter, BaldJean. ;-) 

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 09:24

Aw, c'mon! Don't tell me you're one of those guys!? LOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 09:29

Nik's a different matter, BaldJean. ;-) 

Quark, Strangeness and Charm
Levitation
Choose Your Masques
Chronicle of the Black Sword / Live Chronicles
The Xenon Codex
Space Bandits (1990 – one of my favorites!)

Then there's the Hawklords' 25 Years On.

^The bare minimum of GREAT albums post-'76!

-------------

Posted By: Droxford
Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 14:04
That sounds great ! Hope that you are enjoying it. I was thinking about Nik Turner the other day. I remember a band he had called Inner City Unit I saw a few times. Also saw him with Hawkwind. 

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 14:41
I'd like to do a Hawkwind marathon sometime, but I don't think my eardrums could stand bombing through a Motorhead marathon too. Smile

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 16:08
Skip Motorhead, except for their best album, Another Perfect Day.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2020 at 16:22
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I've only ever owned one Motorhead album and I drew the Ace of Spades. I just hope I don't get Killed by Death. Dead

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 29 2020 at 02:32

I think APD is a great album, although for me, not their very best. It's a shame so many fans slated it at the time. Brian Robertson was certainly the best musician to ever pass through their ranks.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 29 2020 at 02:47
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I think APD is a great album, although for me, not their very best. It's a shame so many fans slated it at the time. Brian Robertson was certainly the best musician to ever pass through their ranks.

Brian gave everyone a hard time, story goes, it's not that some fans dislike it. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 29 2020 at 03:09
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Brian gave everyone a hard time, story goes, it's not that some fans dislike it. 

Yeah, he was awful to work with by all accounts, but I remember reading letters in Kerrang magazine at the time saying the band were nothing without Eddie Clarke.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: September 29 2020 at 07:23

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Yeah, he was awful to work with by all accounts, but I remember reading letters in Kerrang magazine at the time saying the band were nothing without Eddie Clarke.

Of course they said that. They didn't want the original line-up to end, and they didn't like Robbo's style and TONE. And those are exactly what I love! It's really the only Motorhead album I can listen to now.

-------------

Posted By: Whamdaddy
Date Posted: October 02 2020 at 07:27
APD is a great Motorhead album, but heir best is their sophomore outing Overkill

-------------
The Wham Daddy

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk