Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124198
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 15:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Choose one decade to last forever
Posted By: Shadowyzard
Subject: Choose one decade to last forever
Date Posted: October 03 2020 at 17:05
I considered creating this poll in the "Just for Fun" section, yet then figured that we might learn some history while having fun here; on condition that some people give such details because of which they choose a particular decade.

Anyway, this is still mainly for fun. If I were given some divine power to realize that, I assure you that I'd reject it in split seconds.

While choosing your option:

Only consider the "atmosphere" of the decade (that means, you'll not return to your childhood; also, if that decade was personally problematic for you, that doesn't count); or decide regarding your knowledge of the time period if your preference is a decade, before your birth.

As I said, only take "the atmosphere" into consideration, which means the same things won't happen. Otherwise you could easily be rich or a famous oracle, hahah.

For instance, are you a flamboyant capitalist? You can choose the decade when capitalism was (or is it now?) the strongest. Essentially the dynamics of the decade that construct its "soul" will go on forever.

Only the last option promises a fresh and uncertain future. I'm not that vile to put an option which ominously would bestow Covid-19 curse on humanity forever, haha.

I personally choose the 1980s. I was born in 1981, and I still enjoy the 80s' stuff immensely. I just love the futuristic vibe of the decade. My second choice would be some decade in the 1800s. I guess I wouldn't fit in with the prehistoric societies. The last option? Come on, that is boring. It's we all continue to go through. What's the fun of choosing something that is already granted to us? Star

How about you?

Replies:
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: October 03 2020 at 17:18
A fresh and uncertain future for this geezer.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 02:30
I choose uncertainty and mystery!

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 02:47
From a proggy perspective, I'd have to go with the 1970's, but overall, I'd choose the 2010's, because I didn't have ProgArchives and the Internet before 2010. Smile

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 05:19
Always moving forward! Mostly due to the Wobbler album coming out in 18 days Wink

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 05:45
Assuming you also had the tech, music, etc. of the previous years while also looping...

...I could live the 90's over and over no problem!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 06:41
1920s! Avant-garde, man, avant-garde. It started of course a bit earlier, but a lot came to full bloom in the 20s: in painting, in cinema, in music, in photography... Avant-garde and experimentation everywhere. And lots of parties!

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: Spaciousmind
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 07:57
I don't know, 60s and 70s seems to be the most liberated and expressionistic.  World nowadays seems to be reverting to Victorianism and pre 50's wouldn't really want to live through those wars, bad enough with Covid nowadays being stuck in your village.

Posted By: FatherChristmas
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:20
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

1920s! Avant-garde, man, avant-garde. It started of course a bit earlier, but a lot came to full bloom in the 20s: in painting, in cinema, in music, in photography... Avant-garde and experimentation everywhere. And lots of parties!
This EXACTLY. Could miss out Spanish flu at the beginning and the Wall Street crash at the end, but apart from that, a wonderful decade. 

-------------
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten

Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:26
The problem with the earlier periods, they were only enjoyed by the select few effluents.  Normal Joe would be working 12 hours, 6 days a week just to feed and heat the upper class and be a crippled chocking old man by the time he in his 40s.  The numbers game would make it doubtful that you would be one of the ones to get to enjoy it... lol

Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:32
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

The problem with the earlier periods, they were only enjoyed by the select few effluents.  Normal Joe would be working 12 hours, 6 days a week just to feed and heat the upper class and be a crippled chocking old man by the time he in his 40s.  The numbers game would make it doubtful that you would be one of the ones to get to enjoy it... lol
That is true. If you look at it like that though, the decade we've just had is the best.

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

That is true. If you look at it like that though, the decade we've just had is the best.

True, but even today its still all luck of the draw.  Imagine being born in some starving village with none of the amenities, fighting to survive everyday just to get a bowl of food.   Maybe the future is the only way to go.

Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:44

True, but even today its still all luck of the draw.  Imagine being born in some starving village with none of the amenities, fighting to survive everyday just to get a bowl of food.   Maybe the future is the only way to go.

It also flashed into my mind. I'm an anarchist, so of course ever forward till an anarchic order(?) is established.

You can imagine like you're not living a miserable life. This is just fancy stuff! Wink 

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:03
1970s

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:21
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

It also flashed into my mind. I'm an anarchist, so of course ever forward till an anarchic order(?) is established.

You can imagine like you're not living a miserable life. This is just fancy stuff! Wink 

Just had a thought... maybe heaven and hell exists as a selection for your next birth.  Maybe those heads of mountains of gold (like Smaug) are the selection for kicking off their new life in the lowest absolutely poorest of African villages.  Now that would be some kind of devilish justice for all of us!  lol

Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:29
Haha, then I'd always choose the middle. So I'll stay in the middle forever. I hope. LOL

Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:30
Me too!!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:08
For me personally...the 70's...I started college in '69, met my wife ,and we married in '74 ,and had fun for 5 years before we had kids...
Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:15
The 1980s because of the hair.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:25
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

That makes sense. How come you only post cryptic messages on my blogs? Geek

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:43
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

A box and a hamper cross the road. Let the mooing begin.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:59

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

A box and a hamper cross the road. Let the mooing begin.
I wish I'd never asked. Tongue

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 05 2020 at 04:46
Hi,

I'm thinking most of us voted for something "we knew" and were there.

But when it comes to history of the arts ... the scenery changes ... and yeah, the 1910's, 1020's were massive with Film, Radio and basically the media taking over ... not to mention music is then recorded regularly and sold, though it wasn't until the "talkies" that music really became a major show for everyone. 

I kinda thought (joke from a Victorian book!!!) that the reason was that everyone thought music was just 5 or 10 people sitting down looking at their script! I guess a movie or two threw that out the window and all of a sudden everyone wanted to see it!

The 1790's all the way through 1810's are huge in literature ... the reign of terror, spun an incredible number of guts and gore in literature (including gothic), compliments of French political scene. It also brought out "new" music that might be on par with the history of painting considered "nationalistic". 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 06 2020 at 04:28
If I had to choose, I would say the 1990's.

Noting to do with prog rock, although the indie and electronic music of the day was excellent. It was just 'my decade' A time when I was happiest and having the most fun.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 06 2020 at 04:52
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Noting to do with prog rock, although the indie and electronic music of the day was excellent. It was just 'my decade' A time when I was happiest and having the most fun.

For similar reasons I'd choose the 1980s. School finished for ever, I was out earning and spending it all on drinking, gigs and parties.

Date Posted: October 06 2020 at 10:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

For similar reasons I'd choose the 1980s. School finished for ever, I was out earning and spending it all on drinking, gigs and parties.

As you say, the 80s were great. I believe on some music programme made in the very late '70s (I think it was Sounds of the Seventies) the past decade was so described: "The early '70s prog rock were the Dark Ages, the mid-70s punk were the Wars of the Roses and here we are now at the Rennaisance". 
Still prefer the '20s! (though I never saw them...)

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 06 2020 at 11:53
The 1970s. No AIDs. Great music in nearly every genre. Cheap cigarettes and beer. What more could you want?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The 1970s. No AIDs. Great music in nearly every genre. Cheap cigarettes and beer. What more could you want?

Hi,

In those days? A good CAN of herb!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:42
72030s 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:48
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

72030s 

It crossed my mind to put an option from the future, and warn you to be ready for bearing the consequences. You could even be conjured up right in the outer space, if the Earth happened to have been destroyed by then. LOL

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 08 2020 at 10:53
In some ways I think the sixties were the best decade eventhough it was just before I was born. I like the idealism and the music but over all I would chose the seventies even though I was only a little kid and didn't get into prog rock from that decade until the following decade. I think the drugs from the sixties were a bit much and while you had watergate and other issues in the seventies I'm chosing it mainly for the music.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 08 2020 at 10:56

I see you are about a year older than me(well a year and a few months to be exact). Yeah, the 90's were great in some ways and probably the decade I am the most nostalgic about these days for some reason. I was into the alternative stuff at the time. There was also some good britpop and trip hop in that decade. I also liked the grunge stuff although it later became almost a parody of itself. Of course you had the rediscovery of prog with Anglagard and Ozric Tentacles and many others.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 09 2020 at 01:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I see you are about a year older than me(well a year and a few months to be exact). Yeah, the 90's were great in some ways and probably the decade I am the most nostalgic about these days for some reason. I was into the alternative stuff at the time. There was also some good britpop and trip hop in that decade. I also liked the grunge stuff although it later became almost a parody of itself. Of course you had the rediscovery of prog with Anglagard and Ozric Tentacles and many others.

The Ozrics were a big part of my 90's music appreciation too. I saw them a few times. They were at their peak around Strangitude & Jurassic Shift IMO.

I was also very much into the dance and 'trip hop' stuff of the day. I had more money in the 90's than I did in the 80's so I went gig crazy! I have fond memories of seeing The Orb, Orbital, Massive Attack, Cocteau Twins, Moby, Depeche Mode, Curve, Lush, The Sundays, Aphex Twin, Slowdive, Fields of the Nephilim... Good days indeed. Parties, raves, gigs the lot..

The 80's were ok too, but I only turned 18 in 1987 so I caught the arse end of the decade with music, although I did like a lot of the goth and indie acts of the time; The Mission, All About Eve, New Model Army, PWEI et al..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: October 09 2020 at 10:33
I said my second choice would be a decade in the 1800s. It is because I love literature and the first half of the 19th century was great in that regard. Ahh, Romanticism...

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 05:46
Has to be the 60's for me. My formative years, especially in terms of music and literature. Age 7 - 17, Discovered every sort of music and watched as new music emerged. Found Sci-Fi & Fantasy (especially Michael Moorcock) plus all the other things you discovered as a teenager in the 60's Wink

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 06:27
The 1960s. Or the 1790s in France. The closest we've ever gotten to true democracy.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 06:30
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

The 1960s. Or the 1790s in France. The closest we've ever gotten to true democracy.

you've read some weird history books then. LOL
True democracy with a guillotine... 

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 08:43
I'm a 2000s kid.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 10:57
1967-1976. Technically a decade too.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 15:17
I assume if that really happened it would become torturous.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 15:41
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I assume if that really happened it would become torturous.

Oh no, someone is on the brink of revealing my true identity...

*I should work harder on my illusion and enchantment spells; using my cold, calculative and evil mind... 

LOL

Seriously though... Actually, if you didn't know you're "doomed" to be in an eternal loop, it wouldn't be torturous, I guess.

Imagine you're in a wonderful phase of your life, which is mostly thanks to the outside conditions. And it goes on forever...

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:38
^ Yes but you wouldn't realize the wonderfulness was forever and you'd become a bitter, sheepish, unappreciative halfwit.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:46
LOL

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:47

two words...

Big hair.. oh make that 4 words

Go-Go's

say what you will about the 80's.. but it was a great time to be young.. and full of hormones

such a fun decade..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:50
^ It was a blast.  Completely dopey, but a blast.  Don't think I'd trade it for another to grow up in.

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:51
no sir! Heart

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 16:55
I

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Heart

the 80s

P.S. I love micky too! 

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 17:00
Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 17:06
None.

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 17:28
ahhhh...

this was the 80's...

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 22:13
Anyone who was a teenager in the 70s will tell you that it was just groooooovy! Space race to the moon, Woodstock, pot, fashion, politics, sexual freedom, TV, cinema, punk, new wave. It had pretty much everything.....

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: October 29 2020 at 13:44
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Anyone who was a teenager in the 70s will tell you that it was just groooooovy! Space race to the moon, Woodstock, pot, fashion, politics, sexual freedom, TV, cinema, punk, new wave. It had pretty much everything.....

Hi,

That's the idea that people get, but from my time in Santa Barbara during that time, it was also VERY FAKE and cardboard, and not very with many times. Hollywood was already the carnal city and the worst was always parading through the Strip as if it was a gang, and it took a lot of the far out element out of it ... and when some "famous" or other came around, it was ridiculous ... my example from the Whiskey A Go Go, to see Babe Ruth and Iggy and the Stooges is one of the worst things I have ever seen, and I walked off Iggy's show after 15 minutes ... it was almost all the same. Iggy, in his special  (Amazon or Hulu, don't remember) even talks about it, but he did not mention the other band, or the situation ... and I think he just appreciated the star status they had been given. 

The pot in that time was beginning to get cut with speed and other crap ... it was much cleaner in the earlier days in SF, LA, Madison and Chicago. Cinema was the same as always, with the great movies getting the big posters on the Strip and some other movies also making some good dough.

It's the same today, really ... just different clothing, and we puff some fake stuff full of chemicals instead since the good/real stuff is long gone. My mom has the medical license to get some stuff and she even asked how good it was ... and I have to tell you that is the fakest thing I have ever seen or touched or even smelled.

And it didn't take long for the girls with flowers in their hair showed that they were witches and bitches ... but that's another story!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: satanellus
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 16:21
I voted for antiquity. Before humans starting f**king up the earth.

Posted By: satanellus
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 16:37

I assume you mean affluent. Wink

Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 00:12
Originally posted by satanellus satanellus wrote:

I voted for antiquity. Before humans starting f**king up the earth.

I would wish that I were living in the Baldur's Gate setting as a mage, on condition that I could "load the life/game", if ever/whenever I died. After finishing my ultimate "quest", I'd probably hang out with Saemon Havarian (the coolest guy there) for the rest of my life. 

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 04:18
Nah. Not doing it. Everything changes and we're all going to die, and before I'd like to see one new decade per decade. They all fade and that's just OK as it is.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: February 23 2021 at 23:22
Always forward, ever forward Don’t get me wrong my teenage years of the 70’s was a mega awesomeness time. But I’ve never been one for looking backwards...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 08 2021 at 05:58
What happens when a decade gets to 10. Back to 1? If one chose say the 1960s you could watch JFK, MLK, RFK etc get killed all over again. Endless Beatlemania as teenies how the prog way ahead...

Can you choose your country? Germany in the '30s? Italy in the '20s? Russia in the '10s? South Africa ... 20th C anytime.

The 2020s anywhere?

197s with terrorism, global and airliners, Middle East crises serving the power that be and proving nothing changes. Saturday Night Fever hype.

Square plastic 80s corporate pop.

The '90s trying to be the 70s?

Early times and the interesting lavatorial arrangements.

There has never been a good time only rationalization.

Expect the worst, avid disappointment.

P.S. Message from the future Covid 19 is only the beginning. There will be fusions with other pathogens that need an airborne vehicle will have one. C 19 with go but the C 19 Ebola will do some interesting destruction. Social activity will be kept an online environment only.

Magma were right.

cheers

Date Posted: March 08 2021 at 06:01
^ I think you've taken this topic very seriously. LOL

On a side note, same things won't happen. I explained it somewhere here, probably in my original post.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk