Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124309
Printed Date: May 10 2024 at 11:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A-Z of British Prog - Part Two: Eighth Album
Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Subject: A-Z of British Prog - Part Two: Eighth Album
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 01:12
The Poll Remains the Same. The infamous ELP "Beach Gees" album makes its appearance in this poll, but we also have Genesis' Wind & Wuthering album to Back It Up, and Caravan's album, which is Better by Far, not to mention a Minstrel in the Gallery and a Hero and Heroine waiting to come to the rescue and save this poll from oblivion. Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 01:42
JT

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 01:51
Jethro.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Adaon
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 02:32
I don't think Love Beach is all that bad.  I prefer it to the Works albums and the ones that came later.

But of course I'd take Minstrel in the Gallery over all that stuff.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 04:29
I like Minstrel in the Gallery and Wind and Wuthering, but Hero and Heroine is on a different level altogether.
The first side is excellent, but that second side is utterly amazing and one of the best in prog.
Heart Full of Sky is very good, but not quite up to the standard of their first 4 albums.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 04:30
I love Genesis - Wind & Wuthering, Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery, Mostly Autumn - Heart Full of Sky and Strawbs - Hero and Heroine. This time I'm going to chose one of my favourite prog bands of the 70's, a band I always loved. So, it must be Strawbs - Hero and Heroine.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 04:51
Not too many favorites of mine here... So, it will be Rainbow this time.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 04:55
Genesis I guess.

Lep Zep's The Song Remains the Same is a live album. 

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 05:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Genesis I guess.

I know. I have that double live album in my CD collection, but thanks for letting me know anyway. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 05:09
Originally posted by VianaProghead VianaProghead wrote:

I love Genesis - Wind & Wuthering, Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery, Mostly Autumn - Heart Full of Sky and Strawbs - Hero and Heroine. This time I'm going to chose one of my favourite prog bands of the 70's, a band I always loved. So, it must be Strawbs - Hero and Heroine.

I think this is one poll that Genesis aren't going to win for a change. I voted for Hero and Heroine too. Thumbs Up

Posted By: FatherChristmas
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 05:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I think this is one poll that Genesis aren't going to win for a change. 
Don't count on that...

-------------
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 05:19
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Don't count on that...
The big question is, have Genesis got enough Wind in their sails to win this poll, or will they be left Wuthering on the vine? Smile

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 05:51
Jethro Tull, Genesis, Hackett.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 07:44
I love Wind and W----near perfect album with the exception of Your own special way.Unhappy

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 07:47
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I love Wind and W----near perfect album with the exception of Your own special way.Unhappy

QFT! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:21

QFT! Thumbs Up
Your Own Special Way happens to be my favourite song on the Wind & Wuthering album. Thumbs Up 

At least I know what "QFT" means now. Smile

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:29

QFT! Thumbs Up
Your Own Special Way happens to be my favourite song on the Wind & Wuthering album. Thumbs Up 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:45

QFT! Thumbs Up

Come on, you really should have known it would be.

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:50
^ I seem to have a bad habit of liking the songs and albums that Cristi dislikes, bearing in mind Xanadu is my favourite ELO album and Heaven & Earth is one of my favourite Yes albums. Tongue

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:53
Had a hard time deciding between JT and Genesis. In the end, I voted for my favorite JT album.

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:54

^ I seem to have a bad habit of liking the songs and albums that Cristi dislikes, bearing in mind Xanadu is my favourite ELO album and Heaven & Earth is one of my favourite Yes albums. Tongue

YOSW being a favorite on W & W is such a unique point of view, I've never heard anyone say such a thing. I have nothing against you enjoying that, I'm just surprised to say the least. 

I listen to plenty of albums others dislike, I'm gonna do a poll maybe, I've done some in the past, long ago. 

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:58
^ I listen to many albums I dislike too, including listening to all of King Crimson's albums recently. Ouch

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 09:02

^ I listen to many albums I dislike too, including listening to all of King Crimson's albums recently. Ouch

You misunderstood, I said albums others dislike, so I am the minority in liking them. 

I never torture myself with music i dislike. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 10:12
TULL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 10:23
A strong list for me, which makes the decision difficult. There are three top contenders - Wind and Wuthering, Hero and Heroine, and Minstrel in the Gallery. It may be odd that I have not yet voted from one of my absolute favorite bands yet, Jethro Tull, but then my favorites of theirs come later in their career.  I have to go with the magic that Genesis offered this time with Minstrel a close second.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 10:28
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

A strong list for me, which makes the decision difficult. There are three top contenders - Wind and Wuthering, Hero and Heroine, and Minstrel in the Gallery. It may be odd that I have not yet voted from one of my absolute favorite bands yet, Jethro Tull, but then my favorites of theirs come later in their career.  I have to go with the magic that Genesis offered this time with Minstrel a close second.

Judging from the voting so far, I think those three albums you mentioned are pretty much the top contenders for most of us here in this particular poll. Smile

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 14:49
Strawbs.......Genesis...Tull

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 17:09
I would have thought there would be something rivalling Hero and Heroine in such a list but there isn't

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 17:15
Even the best Strawbs album is no match for this Genesis album.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 17 2020 at 19:15
Tull

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 01:15
Zep, but Jt and Mostly Autumn are good.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 02:21

Genesis I guess.

There's method in my madness:- Having included the live Song Remains the Same album, I won't run out of Led Zeppelin albums when we arrive at the tenth album poll. Smile

Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 02:24

Genesis I guess.

There's method in my madness:- Having included the live Song Remains the Same album, I won't run out of Led Zeppelin albums when we arrive at the tenth album poll. Smile

Led Zeppelin - Coda is number ten.

Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 02:49

Genesis I guess.

Led Zeppelin - Coda is number ten.
That's right. Hug

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 06:02
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I would put 4 Strawbs albums above Wind and Wuthering and 2 (Grave New World and Hero and Heroine) above any Genesis album. And that's from a Genesis fan.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 06:15
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I would put 4 Strawbs albums above Wind and Wuthering and 2 (Grave New World and Hero and Heroine) above any Genesis album. And that's from a Genesis fan.

I could never get into Stawbs and I did try several times. Embarrassed

Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 06:30
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Don't count on that...
It looks like you were right. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 10:20

To be fair it's not just Cristi. I can't speak for ELO but I'm guessing an ELO album with ONJ isn't going to rank number one with ELO fans and I guess you're aware by now of the general standing of H&E amongst Yes fans. "Your Own Special Way" is never going to be in a top 10 of Genesis tracks around here. Probably wouldn't even make the top 10 from W&W.Wink

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 10:25
remarkable showing from Hero and Heroine, from a 2nd tier band that many people here probably know very little.

Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 10:48
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

To be fair it's not just Cristi. I can't speak for ELO but I'm guessing an ELO album with ONJ isn't going to rank number one with ELO fans and I guess you're aware by now of the general standing of H&E amongst Yes fans. "Your Own Special Way" is never going to be in a top 10 of Genesis tracks around here. Probably wouldn't even make the top 10 from W&W.Wink
I'm a big fan of Olivia Newton John too, so having ONJ & ELO together on one album is the perfect combination for me. Smile

I know Heaven & Earth is not  highly regarded amongst Yes fans generally, but I try not to let that sway my high opinion of the album. Smile

I think Cristi probably knows me well enough by now to know that I tend to prefer the "poppier" side of prog, such as "Your Own Special Way" for instance. I couldn't help laughing though when you said it wouldn't even make the Top 10 of songs on the Wind & Wuthering album when there's only nine songs on the album.  LOL

Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 13:41

I couldn't help laughing though when you said it wouldn't even make the Top 10 of songs on the Wind & Wuthering album when there's only nine songs on the album.  LOL

I was aware of that Wink

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 13:52
Now this is a crime. Hero and Heroine is waaaay better than W&W. Same for Tull's MitG.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I couldn't help laughing though when you said it wouldn't even make the Top 10 of songs on the Wind & Wuthering album when there's only nine songs on the album.  LOL

I was aware of that Wink
Yes, I guessed you might be. Tongue

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: October 18 2020 at 14:19
Genesis

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 19 2020 at 07:12
Mi dispiace, DC. Unhappy

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: October 19 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Mi dispiace, DC. Unhappy

What we really need is a Prog-Folk poll, then Genesis won't take any votes away from Dave Cousins & the Strawbs. Smile

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: October 19 2020 at 12:34
I remember the day I purchased Hero and Heroine when it was released in Canada (where it did very well indeed) , twas a rainy fall day and when Autumn kicked in for the very first time , I was skewered to the bone. Since then, it has been my balm, my panacea and my #1 album all-time. It just has an aura that is hard to describe, still magical after nearly 50 years . Its going into my coffin.....

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 19 2020 at 16:45
Tull , maybe my second favourite by them after TAAB

W&W I believe is a bit overrated. Blood On The Rooftops is the only track on that album that I absolutely love. One For The Vine is better as a live track. I know that Eleventh Earl Of Mar is very popular although I don't understand why if I'm honest. The album as a whole feels a bit messy. The next 2 Genesis albums were more cohesive for me even if their best musician had flown the nest by then.

Posted By: peskypesky
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 08:14
Ugh. I can't choose between Genesis and Tull. I just can't.

-------------
Prog fan since 1974.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk