Print Page | Close Window

Wobbler - Dwellers of the Deep

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124343
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 23:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wobbler - Dwellers of the Deep
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Subject: Wobbler - Dwellers of the Deep
Date Posted: October 22 2020 at 04:27
Well, with this highly anticipated 5th album from Wobbler seeing it's release tomorrow, I figured i'd start a thread to discuss our general thoughts and impressions of it. My preorder will be here today so i'll make sure to post pictures of the LP when it arrives and also give my first thoughts. The two singles both have been excellent so i'm pumped!

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Replies:
Date Posted: October 22 2020 at 18:52

Wow, own listen deep and this is one DENSE and layered album. I think it’s their best from a production standpoint, but it’s going to take a few more listens to fully digest. Favorite track is By The Banks as of now.

-------------

Posted By: Zeph
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 04:34
Certainly need to digest this album for some time. First impressions are positive. Naiad Dreams feels a bit weaker than the twinner on FSTS (Rendered In Shades Of Green), but fortunately that is also the shorter intermission and not overly important.

A sequence that caught my ear on the second playthrough was in the second half of Merry Macabre where the percussion and guitar is playing in tandem. Brought a big old smile to my face.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 04:50
Has it been released already?

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 04:54
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Has it been released already?

yes.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 07:10
Those interested in can hear the whole thing on BC:

https://wobbler.bandcamp.com/album/dwellers-of-the-deep" rel="nofollow - http://wobbler.bandcamp.com/album/dwellers-of-the-deep

On a first listening I have the same feeling I usually have about Wobbler: superbly done of its kind, but not really my bag.

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 07:50
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Those interested in can hear the whole thing on BC:

https://wobbler.bandcamp.com/album/dwellers-of-the-deep" rel="nofollow - http://wobbler.bandcamp.com/album/dwellers-of-the-deep

On a first listening I have the same feeling I usually have about Wobbler: superbly done of its kind, but not really my bag.
Yeah, I kind of agree with you. They've never really done much for me either.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 08:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

[QUOTE=Mascodagama]Those interested in can hear the whole thing on BC:

Yeah, I kind of agree with you. They've never really done much for me either.
[ /QUOTE]  

As i haven`t listened to it yet i shall leave my judgement of it till i have. But i personally extremely enjoy the other four albums... 

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:01
The album just was released today. It is currently PA 's top release of 2020 with a 4.61 rating. Really??? Seems to be a repeat of last years highly overrated IQ release.

I have listened to the album on bandcamp with earbuds. Can't give an opinion on the audio quality. Anyway it's decent maybe 3.5 stars. First two songs work the best for me. I don't like the singers voice.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:11
I enjoy their music once in a while, they do very competent retro prog (and this one is no exception), but I never really connected with their music.

Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:12
^ That IQ release was painfully overrated, as is this years Pendragon. I'm finding Dwellers to be a grower as these songs place a greater emphasis on textures and fitting countless twisting passages in each song. Now with that said, i'm going to hold out on writing a review for it until i'm very comfortable and familiar with the album, this happens with any new release. The fans come out with the 5 star ratings/reviews and it shoots to the top with a small sample size, I wouldn't sweat it. I could def see this being AOTY though and I anticipate it staying at or near the top. Now with that said, i'm still digesting this album, particularly the closing epic. As of now i'd agree that the first two songs, especially By The Banks, are the best.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:46
That some newly released albums soar past 4.5 is not uncommon, but that's often the fans giving it high ratings early on. Once more numbers come in, albums drop down.

One issue with ratings is that it is used to compare albums from the 70's with albums of 2020. Some probably find IQs Resistance to be on level with some great albums from the 70's, while others think it's a great album, but not on that level. Yet both might give it a 5.

A comparable situation is exams. In many cases, the examiners give grades relative to the collective answers given that year. The best grades are given to the best answers, but they would perhaps be rated lower if compared to a collection of answers from the last three years. This might affect how we rate music too. The musical output the last 10 years has been very different from what was released from 1970 to 1980, and when we listen to From Silence To Somewhere, Resistance, Love Over Fear etc., do we compare it to other albums of the same year or recent years, or to the entire catalogue going back to the 60's? The descriptive text for the ratings are the same for every album, but it may not be something everyone consider. I don't think people are that used to ratings having a description, so the best albums of a year are given 5, without comparing them to the traditionally highest ranked albums.

In the case of Resistance, it currently has a rating of 4.16.

Description of the ratings:
5 Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music (41%)
4 Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection (27%)

41% gives it a 5, 27% a 4. On average, it's slightly above an excellent addition to any prog rock music collection. I can't say that is wrong, because it's just data, statistics. What may give the data inaccurate results are how each person rate an album and how much though is given into it. It is what it is and in the end it's just a number that doesn't tell you anything about how you like the album. Like it or it not.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:49
I listened to the first two tracks on bandcamp....good solid Wobbler...but I'm still absorbing the last one,, even after all this time ..and to be honest my favorite is still Rites At Dawn.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 13:35
Wow, Merry Macabre has really grown on me. 16:45 might just be the coolest thing they've ever done.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 14:41
I'll listen on bandcamp later tonight, but unless it's true ass I don't see a scenario where I don't buy. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 15:18
^No one should listen to "true ass". 

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: October 24 2020 at 22:19
Haven't listened to it yet, but it's going to be listened to tomorrow. Probably my most anticipated record of the year.

Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 03:52
I don't think you find too many that would describe it as "true ass".

I'm liking it a lot, but still hold FSTS higher so far. Not that it means DOTD is true ass. While FSTS is a 5, DOTD is so far perhaps 4-4.5.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 09:28
Thoughts so far: This album is ridiculously good, but obviously falls short compared to their previous effort, which is well... simply a progressive rock masterpiece. Let's go for a few listens and I'll have the breakdown here.

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:21
It's a lovely album which sounds just like all their previous lovely albums. 

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: October 25 2020 at 14:15
I'm pretty addicted to 'Five Rooms', gotta explore the rest of it as well!

Date Posted: October 27 2020 at 16:23
Any one else notice the first song on the CD begins on the second beat? Does this happen on the LP?

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 27 2020 at 16:40
Gave it a first listen yesterday. Great vintage prog album, but my first impression is that its just a bit below their previous release - this may change. Yet it is easily 4.5 stars and a likely top 5 candidate for me.
Sounds quite Yes-infused with a touch of Anekdoten.

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2020 at 19:33
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Any one else notice the first song on the CD begins on the second beat? Does this happen on the LP?

I do notice that on both but digital and vinyl, strange but it’s very minor. I love By The Banks and Merry Macabre, but I agree with the sentiment that on both of those the outros could’ve been played out for another minute or so and the songs would be improved just a little. I’ll have a review going up soon, still on the fence with my rating, we need half stars on this site badly.

-------------

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 00:07
Still yet to pick this one up. I know it will be good, and more along the lines of their albums from `Rites at Dawn' onwards...but I would REALLY love them to make another like `Afterglow', where there was more of an Anglagard-like sound.

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 00:19
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I do notice that on both but digital and vinyl, strange but it’s very minor. I love By The Banks and Merry Macabre, but I agree with the sentiment that on both of those the outros could’ve been played out for another minute or so and the songs would be improved just a little. I’ll have a review going up soon, still on the fence with my rating, we need half stars on this site badly.
It's a notable mistake on a professional release. I wouldn't call it minor. If you're reading this Wobbler, PM me and I can provide quality control for no charge on future releases.

Looking forward to your review and agree about the half stars. I would even go quarter stars.

Date Posted: October 28 2020 at 04:20

It's a notable mistake on a professional release. I wouldn't call it minor. If you're reading this Wobbler, PM me and I can provide quality control for no charge on future releases.

Looking forward to your review and agree about the half stars. I would even go quarter stars.
Would be a very strange mistake. It's not exactly difficult to catch. My first thought was that it was intentional.

Date Posted: October 30 2020 at 14:06
My second copy, the green marble variant, arrived in remarkable time. Shipped from Spain on the 23rd, arrived in LA yesterday, and arrived on my door step in NY today. It looks pretty cool, but its a lot darker than the pictures showed. People who got the red and yellow variant came out on top, the pictures looked ugly but in reality it looks sick.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 01:42
Only one listen so will not try to be too gushing.

My immediate thought is that although it is obviously recalling the classic prog era (Yes especially) there is also a lot of the 90's Scandi-prog scene in it (especially Anglagard) as well a touch of Deluge Grander. So I don't think this is just stuck in the seventies although it's certainly a lovely comfy sofa of an album for those that put Yes right at the top of the tree. These guys really know their prog for sure. Fantastic playing and atmosphere. Perhaps I will come down to earth with my second listen!

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 02:07
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Only one listen so will not try to be too gushing.

My immediate thought is that although it is obviously recalling the classic prog era (Yes especially) there is also a lot of the 90's Scandi-prog scene in it (especially Anglagard) as well a touch of Deluge Grander. So I don't think this is just stuck in the seventies although it's certainly a lovely comfy sofa of an album for those that put Yes right at the top of the tree. These guys really know their prog for sure. Fantastic playing and atmosphere. Perhaps I will come down to earth with my second listen!

totally agree with you

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: November 01 2020 at 17:15
Dwellers of the Deep is currently the 68th best prog album of all time on PA.

Date Posted: November 02 2020 at 04:40
Currently ranked #8 for the year on Rateyourmusic, good for exposure

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 02 2020 at 05:09

Sounds like it's been cut off to me.

Date Posted: November 02 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Sounds like it's been cut off to me.
The guitarist said on Discord that it's not cut off, but starts like that.

I think it's a great opener to a track like By The Banks.

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: November 02 2020 at 16:29
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

^this. I don't get the Wobbler hype at all They're basically repeating their decent debut LP with every next record they release... and even that debut was already very derivative of Yes, Anglagard and Sinkadus

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 02 2020 at 16:52
Some good reviews here but I'll wait until they put the first beat back in. :P

Date Posted: November 02 2020 at 18:55
First beat is there ^ talked to Marius, it's very quick. Still working on my review, easily gonna be over 2000 words, should be good to go soon!

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2020 at 23:02
No, people mentioned it on here and I listened to it on youtube and it definitely sounds like the beginning part is chopped off. 

Date Posted: November 02 2020 at 23:04

Currently ranked #8 for the year on Rateyourmusic, good for exposure

Yeah, that kind of reminds me of how back in 2002 when Spock's Beard's "snow" album made it to number 15 on the top internet albums chart.

Date Posted: November 03 2020 at 04:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No, people mentioned it on here and I listened to it on youtube and it definitely sounds like the beginning part is chopped off. 
It's not chopped off. Here's the quote from Marius:

Quote Question about the start of By The Banks. Did you intentionally cut off the first beat, as it sounds?
Quote Nope, its a real straight on the one start. Or rather a very brief flame before the one. I’ve seen people discussing it, but it be like dat. Unless theres something on the CD version that went awry.

If someone’s edition, CD or vinyl, starts differently than this please let me know.
https://youtu.be/YiZwrB50vlwhttps://youtu.be/YiZwrB50vlw" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/YiZwrB50vlw

I think it's a great way to open the album.

Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

^this. I don't get the Wobbler hype at all  They're basically repeating their decent debut LP with every next record they release... and even that debut was already very derivative of Yes, Anglagard and Sinkadus
Really? Especially from Rites at Dawn and even more the last two, I don't see the similarity to Hinterland.

Date Posted: November 03 2020 at 06:23

You can hear the decay of the first tom hit at the beginning of the song. Granted it's a micro second, but noticable. If it was correct, there would be no decay of the tom. It is definitely an error during the mastering of the CD/LP. Still a good album.

The Wobbler folk may be listening to another mix/master and not the release sold to the general public.

Date Posted: November 03 2020 at 09:43

You can hear the decay of the first tom hit at the beginning of the song. Granted it's a micro second, but noticable. If it was correct, there would be no decay of the tom. It is definitely an error during the mastering of the CD/LP. Still a good album.

The Wobbler folk may be listening to another mix/master and not the release sold to the general public.
We are talking about offical releases on CD, Bandcamp, LP, Spotify, Youtube or whatever.

I choose to believe those who made the music when they say something is not cut off. Not that it makes any difference whatsoever.

Date Posted: November 03 2020 at 12:02
^Makes a difference to me. I guess the only way to know for sure is to hear them play it live.

Posted By: higi88
Date Posted: November 03 2020 at 12:06
Once again Wobbler gave the prog rock world another masterpiece. I've listened to this album so many times and with each listen it gets better and better. Beautiful mix of heavy, symphonic, eclectic music makes this album in my opinion one of the best prog albums of all time. After they made From silence to somewhere I could not wait to see what will they do next and now after hearing this album I know this band is only getting better. I will not compare them to any of the classic 70's bands I will only say that Wobbler now has their own trademark sound. By the banks is the greatest album opener ever, that riff made my mind explode it's so heavy and it welcomes you to a unforgettable journey, Five rooms is a unstoppable prog force, brilliant drumming and amazing bass playing, Naiad Dreams is a great passage to epic 19 minutes Merry Macabre fantastic closer, the end of the song is a perfect end of this perfect album.

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: November 04 2020 at 15:29

My second copy, the green marble variant, arrived in remarkable time. Shipped from Spain on the 23rd, arrived in LA yesterday, and arrived on my door step in NY today. It looks pretty cool, but its a lot darker than the pictures showed. People who got the red and yellow variant came out on top, the pictures looked ugly but in reality it looks sick.

I received my green marble LP today, and yes it is a bit dark. Looks great held up to a light though. It would have looked better solid marble, instead of transparent. 

It's a slow burner for me, and it's improved with each listen. Not as good as FSTS though imo.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:45
Where's the anacrusis???

"By The Banks" does sound like the beginning is clipped and I'm okay with that as it gives the album a lot of inertia...

Although Marius has stated otherwise. He should know, right?

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 02:43
first listen, I don't understand the hype and the high rating, maybe needs more listens (although it's not a challenging listen), but I'm not that impressed TBH. 
Opening song stands out for me... so far... 

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 03:02
After a few listens, I don't think the album is as good as Rites @ Dawn but I do understand the hype actually. As for the high rating, well, tbh I don't care about the collective rating. Whether it's metacritic or this site, it makes no sense and you can never tell just by looking at the collective average rating if the production is any good. It's meaningless.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:34
Rites is a bit underrated and the last two are a bit overrated...but all very good albums....
and these last 3 albums are the best albums Yes never made.
Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: dauinghorn
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 17:03

^Makes a difference to me. I guess the only way to know for sure is to hear them play it live.

Use your ears, people! Listen to the riff when it enters again around the 12 minute mark. It's the way it's supposed to be.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 18:31
Unlike their last album which i enjoyed listening to many times, this one seems less inspiring and it's already fizzled out. Great album but not as good as Silence

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: tigerfeet
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 19:55
I loved this release, this was like a collaboration mix of Camel/Caravan meets King Crimson/YES and they all make an album together

-------------
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 02:44
I just received the new one last week and am very much enjoying the tunes. To me they sound like Yes making albums between The Yes Album and Fragile...which just so happens to be my favourite period of the band.
Sure they don’t sound ‘fresh’ or ‘unique’ yet they are highly convincing in what they’re trying to achieve much thanks to the clever and down to earth production. Their last two albums truly sound like long lost (well-recorded) albums from 1971-1973.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: triptych
Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 03:14

I don't know this band.....will look into it.

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 06:39
Thanks to all the enthusiasm expressed here on the new Wobbler album I listened to it, but it won't change my stance on this band (which is the same I have regarding e.g. Änglagård). It is a good and pleasant listen, but to me it sounds more like a 70s prog tribute band - mixing elements from different bands - writing their own material. It lacks originality and I it also lacks spontaneity. So many times, while listening, I am thinking "oh here they sound like Yes' Awaken, here they try some Gentle Giant and there some Genesis..."
Again, it is a good listen - I would rate it three stars (but I'm actually not rating albums on PA) - but I actually prefer their previous album which had a bit more originality in it.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 11:05
Like the album but it's not anywhere near the brilliant From Silence.

Posted By: triptych
Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 12:03
Listening to Wobbler....
https://youtu.be/YiZwrB50vlw

Posted By: dauinghorn
Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 16:52
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Thanks to all the enthusiasm expressed here on the new Wobbler album I listened to it, but it won't change my stance on this band (which is the same I have regarding e.g. Änglagård). It is a good and pleasant listen, but to me it sounds more like a 70s prog tribute band - mixing elements from different bands - writing their own material. It lacks originality and I it also lacks spontaneity. So many times, while listening, I am thinking "oh here they sound like Yes' Awaken, here they try some Gentle Giant and there some Genesis..."
Again, it is a good listen - I would rate it three stars (but I'm actually not rating albums on PA) - but I actually prefer their previous album which had a bit more originality in it.
I hope you'll get the chance to witness Wobbler live, as it has a lot of improvisation, energy and spontaneity. What you must not forget is that Wobbler is a BAND. Every musician here has their own voice. A lot of new "prog" is just plain studio productions, people sending each other tracks from different corners of the world. Wobbler did it together and have SOUL. And absolutely great musicianship.

As for Änglagård, I think they have developed their own unique sound, which is a blend of 20th century classical music, Swedish folk and avantgarde rock. I'm interested to hear what you think is good music.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: December 15 2020 at 16:02
I finally listened to this from their Bandcamp page today. It's a great album and might even have a chance of making my top 10. Another one to add to the list of CDs to get.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk