Print Page | Close Window

Danger money (u.k)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124707
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 11:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Danger money (u.k)
Posted By: grantman
Subject: Danger money (u.k)
Date Posted: November 27 2020 at 10:42
About 2 weeks ago ,i finally recieved my copy of the famous danger money cd ,i all can say is wow it was always on my list to buy when it came out in the 70,s it was too pricey but when i went to the record store i always inspected it the songs all are good ,the drumming by terry bozzio is awesome ,although the debut record is considered heads and tails above this incarnation of the band personally it was a favorite ,you see my mum brought the album NIGHT AFTER NIGHT for my christmas the previous year she brought me A FAREWELL TO THE KINGS. anyhow it was worth the wait .Thanks for taking the time read prog fans.

Replies:
Posted By: triptych
Date Posted: November 27 2020 at 10:59
Hi there. You mean Danger Money by the band U.K., right ? Yes, I believe it was originally released in 1979 actually. Wetton also played with Wishbone Ash and Bozzio really plays some serious drums on DM.
I'm glad someone really digs real decent prog here :):)

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 27 2020 at 13:09
DM was a gateway record for me too, it allowed me to appreciate progressive rock that was not necessarily guitar-based and heavy.   'Carrying No Cross' still a spellbinder.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: November 28 2020 at 00:14
Great record! Nothing like the debut, but almost nothing is. Must have IMHO.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 28 2020 at 03:51
Very good album, and more accessible than the debut. Which could be both a good and bad thing.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 28 2020 at 06:31
Top 10 for me. The standout album of the barren year 1979.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 28 2020 at 11:25
Well, the release of Danger Money afforded me the chance to attend a largely ignored in-store appearance by the band in 1979 at a now-defunct Licorice Pizza record store in Pacific Beach, California. Jobson and Bozzio were highly cordial, and Wetton was such a gracious gentleman with all who approached him. As for the music itself, I visit it often, even though it's not a force to be reckoned with like the debut album. A little lightweight in places.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: November 28 2020 at 22:44
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Well, the release of Danger Money afforded me the chance to attend a largely ignored in-store appearance by the band in 1979 at a now-defunct Licorice Pizza record store in Pacific Beach, California. Jobson and Bozzio were highly cordial, and Wetton was such a gracious gentleman with all who approached him. As for the music itself, I visit it often, even though it's not a force to be reckoned with like the debut album. A little lightweight in places.

Dude, this is an AMAZING story! I'd have gone to that same signing regardless of how few people were there! What a contrast to Asia's drawing power, huh? LOL Tongue

I'm ordering a copy of Danger Money for my shelf right now; never had a physical copy. This thread convinced me!

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 29 2020 at 13:48
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

About 2 weeks ago ,i finally recieved my copy of the famous danger money cd ,i all can say is wow it was always on my list to buy when it came out in the 70,s it was too pricey but when i went to the record store i always inspected it the songs all are good ,the drumming by terry bozzio is awesome ,although the debut record is considered heads and tails above this incarnation of the band personally it was a favorite ,you see my mum brought the album NIGHT AFTER NIGHT for my christmas the previous year she brought me A FAREWELL TO THE KINGS. anyhow it was worth the wait .Thanks for taking the time read prog fans.

Glad you finally checked it out. Better late than never! Thumbs Up

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: November 29 2020 at 13:50
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Pacific Beach? Holy cow. Unless I'm mistaken, the San Diego coast has always been a wasteland for (good) rock music. Awesome that you got to meet them. I'd have been there in a flash, 'cept I don't live there and I wasn't even nine years old at the time.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:36
I love both UK albums equally. If only they would have stayed together for another album or two maybe the 80's would have been a little more tolerable!!!

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:18
I bought the Danger Money LP as soon as it came out and have always loved it. Awesome drumming by Terry Bozzio and Eddie Jobson is obviously giving full vent to his keyboard wizard urges with no guitarist around to rein him in. I read an interview in Melody Maker at the time and Jobson was talking about his fascination with what he termed "Doom Rock" groups like ELP and King Crimson.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:29
^Cool avatar.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:40
^Thanks, yes I think there is something intrinsically cool about Tarkus steamrollering a copy of a Clash album! I can't take credit for the image, just found it on a website somewhere and decided to use it.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:20
This is a new one to me. I have had (and loved) the debut for ages. I had put off getting DM for an age due to the lack of Holdsworth and Bruford. But I have to say although it is a completely different to the debut, it is such a fine album in it's own right. 

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 18:07
Absolute drivel. A waste of my time every time I try it. Reminds me of my experiences with Asia, GTR, Steve Howe, Tony Banks, and Richard Wright solo albums, and 1980s Tangerine Dream, Jan Akkerman, and Rick Wakeman.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 02:05
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Absolute drivel. A waste of my time every time I try it. Reminds me of my experiences with Asia, GTR, Steve Howe, Tony Banks, and Richard Wright solo albums, and 1980s Tangerine Dream, Jan Akkerman, and Rick Wakeman.

absolutelyClapStarClapStar

read my reviews of all three historical UK releases (they've created havoc in PE from over-feigning obsequious  fanboys) 

TBH, Danger money sounds a bit like the prequel to Asia. 

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:49

Hey, that's just your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Sorry you feel the need to speak so harshly of an excellent symph trio record because it doesn't sonically resemble its predecessor.

But then you go and knock '80s Tangerine Dream!? The line-up of Froese, Franke and Schmoelling is the gold standard for electronic progressive music. Fight me! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:50
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

So silly. The only thing the two have in common are electricity and John Wetton. I don't remember a violinist being a member of Asia, either.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:02
I generally was not a fan of 80s Tangerine Dream before, but came to appreciate it over time. At one time I was only really a fan of the pre-Phaedra albums.

As for Danger Money, it is an album that I have actively disliked. I rather preferred the debut but still was not too enamoured with it. Trying Danger Money again, but it's still not my style. I think that it shares an AOR pop-rock, and hook based, approach with Asia. I think there are lots of similarities to be drawn between Asia and UK, and would well expect to find both projects in the same section of a record store and to have a good deal of overlap in the fanbase.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:10
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I generally was not a fan of 80s Tangerine Dream before, but came to appreciate it over time. At one time I was only really a fan of the pre-Phaedra albums.

TD has sounded like 17 different bands, so it's almost natural that some people prefer a different sound. The Virgin and Relativity years (along with the soundtracks) have been my favorites since I first heard them. I love anything with Baumann and Schmoelling participating.

As for Danger Money, it is an album that I have actively disliked. I rather preferred the debut but still was not too enamoured with it. Trying Danger Money again, but it's still not my style. I think that it shares an AOR pop-rock, and hook based, approach with Asia. I think there are lots of similarities to be drawn between Asia and UK, and would well expect to find both projects in the same section of a record store and to have a good deal of overlap in the fanbase.

The funny thing is I can't listen to Asia. I like tons of non-prog, but when people say "U.K. is the prequel to Asia," what they really mean is "Asia sounds like U.K., if you took the singer and made him do the same thing with other guys, but it's nowhere near as interesting." Even "As Long As You Want Me Here" is a much better song than anything Asia recorded. "Heat of the Moment" has become its own meme.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:12
Very good albun but not as good as the debut for obvious reasons. I still listen to it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:28
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

TD has sounded like 17 different bands, so it's almost natural that some people prefer a different sound. The Virgin and Relativity years (along with the soundtracks) have been my favorites since I first heard them. I love anything with Baumann and Schmoelling participating.

The funny thing is I can't listen to Asia. I like tons of non-prog, but when people say "U.K. is the prequel to Asia," what they really mean is "Asia sounds like U.K., if you took the singer and made him do the same thing with other guys, but it's nowhere near as interesting." Even "As Long As You Want Me Here" is a much better song than anything Asia recorded. "Heat of the Moment" has become its own meme.

I don't know what people mean. I would imagine that different people mean rather different things, although perhaps that is a common conception? I wouldn't like to assume and haven't really looked into it in this case, so I wouldn't want to draw conclusions.

I can get why someone would say, in Hugues case, "sounds a bit like the prequel to Asia." It's not a strident claim and frankly we all hear and interpret music rather differently (as we all have different ears and brains) and draw on different associations. Of course commonalities are perpetuated....

As for TD, I definitely appreciate the diversity. It's the debut album that got me majorly into the band and it is different from every other album (at least of which I am aware). Phaedra was my first, and that took me quite a long time to warm up to.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:45
I ordered the original UK album on a whim from Columbia House just by reading their little blurb about it and not knowing anything else.  I had no idea who was in the band and had never heard of them before (this was back in the 70's remember, and I was a teen-ager at the time).  When the 8-track came in the mail, I popped it in right away after a very tiring day at work.  I was really tired, so I was laying on my bed and listening the first time and was blown right away without having any preconceived notions.  I was actually visualizing the music since I was so tired, and I never forgot the experience.  I loved it so much, that when Danger Money came out, I snatched it right up.  I remember thinking that it sounded a bit different, but it was still quite obvious that it was the same band (minus Holdsworth of course, but I didn't know that at the time).  I loved DM for different reasons, but to me these were always in rotation at the time, and I later discovered the links to Yes, King Crimson and etc. as I really started looking into the music and trying to find more just like it.  Coming from a small town, I was the only person that I knew of that owned those albums.  I stuck it in my car in the auto shop class and the school burn out (who always played Van Halen and Black Sabbath) was quite excited about it and wanted to know what it was.  I don't know if he ever got it though.

Of course, Asia was a big disappointment when it came out, but I was in Italy at the time, and those prog loving Italians just panned it.  

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:50

I can get why someone would say, in Hugues case, "sounds a bit like the prequel to Asia." It's not a strident claim and frankly we all hear and interpret music rather differently (as we all have different ears and brains) and draw on different associations. Of course commonalities are perpetuated....

I know I shouldn't assume, but having seen the same remark for years since the days of mailing lists, that's what I keep going back to...

As for TD, I definitely appreciate the diversity. It's the debut album that got me majorly into the band and it is different from every other album (at least of which I am aware). Phaedra was my first, and that took me quite a long time to warm up to.

The first Virgin album I heard was Exit, which blew me away. Speaking of Electronic Meditation (which took some getting used to, but I came to like it a lot), I had the LP on my bedroom wall for years. That was one trippy cover, even in the 80s! LOL 

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 11:32

So silly. The only thing the two have in common are electricity and John Wetton. I don't remember a violinist being a member of Asia, either.

well the singer is also the bassist and the main composer in both bands.

As for the violinist, he's also the keyboardist.
Oh, and the DM UK line-up has got a drummer as well. Evil Smile

OK, let's play it from the other end: obviously by DM's release and tour, Wetton knew he was onto something and took the formula into his next project.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 12:17

OK, let's play it from the other end: obviously by DM's release and tour, Wetton knew he was onto something and took the formula into his next project.
and on to big $$$

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 12:25

I know I shouldn't assume, but having seen the same remark for years since the days of mailing lists, that's what I keep going back to...

The first Virgin album I heard was Exit, which blew me away. Speaking of Electronic Meditation (which took some getting used to, but I came to like it a lot), I had the LP on my bedroom wall for years. That was one trippy cover, even in the 80s! LOL 

Makes sense, and I'm sure I've come across that UK/Asia sentiment on more than one occasion having been at this forum for quite some time (though somewhat of a n00b compared to you). ;) Heck, they both even have regional names, although UK might stand for United Klingondom for all I know.

Id heard Tangerine Dream music before Phaedra, and liked it as I was very into so-called "New Age" electronica, but Phaedra was my first TD purchase. It was in 2005, I think, that I first heard a track off Electronic Meditation, got the album and loved it. I was just posting about a soundtrack called Under the Skin and am just now realising how similar some of of that music is to music off Electronic Mediation (like "Genesis"). That album in part tickled a certain Pink Floyd (like music from A Saucerful of Secrets) itch.

-------------

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 12:45

All songs on Danger Money are credited to Jobson/Wetton. The only song on the first three Asia albums credited solely to John is "Hard on Me" from Astra — the rest are cowrites with Downes and/or Howe, and, on a couple tunes, Palmer.

But no guitarist. They didn't find one to join them in time so they went with the trio approach. I like it that way. Wink

I'll meet you halfway, because U.K. did disband over their disagreements on how to move forward. Eddie wanted to dial up the prog and make music with a lot of instrumental firepower and longer durations; John wanted a streamlined approach. 

The non-album demo "When Will You Realize?" appeared on the B-side of "Night After Night." This song is cited as the reason for the breakup. Listening to it, you hear a tune that could be a precursor if you added some clean guitar licks and replaced the Hammond organ line with synths. But even unfinished, it sounds better, especially with Bozzio's fills. 

After that, John released a solo album and joined Wishbone Ash for their 1981 record Number the Brave. Then came Asia.

-------------

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 12:48
"Danger Money" is one of my all-time favourite albums, never undrestood why UK debut is much more popular.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 12:51

Makes sense, and I'm sure I've come across that UK/Asia sentiment on more than one occasion having been at this forum for quite some time (though somewhat of a n00b compared to you). ;) Heck, they both even have regional names, although UK might stand for United Klingondom for all I know.

The unreleased third album: Circles Around UranusLOL

Id heard Tangerine Dream music before Phaedra, and liked it as I was very into so-called "New Age" electronica, but Phaedra was my first TD purchase. It was in 2005, I think, that I first heard a track off Electronic Meditation, got the album and loved it. I was just posting about a soundtrack called Under the Skin and am just now realising how similar some of of that music is to music off Electronic Mediation (like "Genesis"). That album in part tickled a certain Pink Floyd (like music from A Saucerful of Secrets) itch.

The first time I heard TD was The Keep. I'm sitting there, watching HBO circa '84, and the film starts. I'm immediately hooked by the opening theme. I saw the words "Music by Tangerine Dream" and I knew I'd stumbled onto something very special.

You're right in that E.M. sounds like nothing else in their discography.

-------------

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 14:28
i only posted about the album danger money it got lumped in with tangerine dream who i am a big fan of, but the comparisions to the debut asia and gtr seem out of place it,s only a album it,s not asia,s alpha not that was a terrible record except for don,t cry and the smile has left your eyes.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 15:26

read my reviews of all three historical UK releases (they've created havoc in PE from over-feigning obsequious  fanboys) 

that is a very silly comment

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 15:35
I do like this album (shocker). The band admitted they were doing ELP 'because ELP were no longer around'. Its actually very original prog and a great follow up to the debut. Eddie Jobson shows why he could be Keith Emerson for a day and we know that Wetton was always Greg Lake's shadow. I'm slightly less convinced about Bozzio as a straight swap for Carl Palmer. Bozzio is actually a more powerful drummer more in the Cozy Powell mode but I suppose that another ELP connection (sort of). 

Wetton though was already becoming very conscious that prog had had its day and didn't like the long instrumental sections that dominate much of the album. He even moaned about this is a later Asia interview when all four of them were busy trying to leave behind the whole prog supergroup idea , but while actually still being in a supergroup , if not very prog admittedly. Hilarious when I think back now.

Posted By: Nomadic
Date Posted: January 29 2021 at 13:51
I prefer the three piece UK to the original. My first exposure to the band was Night After Night, and it was love at first listen. It was actually my first time hearing of any of the musicians, and being an aspiring young bass player at the time (now I'm an expiring old one Tongue ) I connected with Wetton immediately. So then I worked backwards from there. It was at this same time that I heard Bruford's One of a Kind. Another instant hit with me. I was already a huge Bruford fan from his Yes days, and come on, Jeff Berlin! IMHO, I think they were better off and probably happier as the Bruford band and the 3-piece UK. It's too bad Eddie and John couldn't find a happy medium. Asia was the disappointment of the year for me in 1982. In hindsight, there's a lot that I like off the debut, but beyond that, they're really not my thing.

-------------
http://nomadichorizonband.com

Date Posted: January 29 2021 at 17:33
Originally posted by Nomadic Nomadic wrote:

I prefer the three piece UK to the original. My first exposure to the band was Night After Night, and it was love at first listen. It was actually my first time hearing of any of the musicians, and being an aspiring young bass player at the time (now I'm an expiring old one Tongue ) I connected with Wetton immediately. So then I worked backwards from there. It was at this same time that I heard Bruford's One of a Kind. Another instant hit with me. I was already a huge Bruford fan from his Yes days, and come on, Jeff Berlin! IMHO, I think they were better off and probably happier as the Bruford band and the 3-piece UK. It's too bad Eddie and John couldn't find a happy medium. Asia was the disappointment of the year for me in 1982. In hindsight, there's a lot that I like off the debut, but beyond that, they're really not my thing.

Without a doubt, Bruford (the band) was where Bill wanted to be. He'd "rocked out" for years with Yes, King Crimson, and Genesis (on tour), and he wanted his fusion band to happen before he got sucked into another vox-based project.

What do you think of Eddie's Zinc project and The Green Album? Far, far better than Asia. It almost sounds like the next step for U.K. In a sense, it was.

-------------

Posted By: Nomadic
Date Posted: February 01 2021 at 08:38
Loved Zinc and was hoping for a followup in a similar style. Theme of Secrets is a nice soundscapes album, but not what I was hoping for. I recently picked up the reissue of both.

-------------
http://nomadichorizonband.com

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 01 2021 at 08:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

that is a very silly comment
Count me in as a recently-converted obsequious U.K fanboy from the U.K. Thumbs Up

5 stars 1978: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=341" rel="nofollow - - UK
 4 stars 1979: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=341" rel="nofollow - - Danger Money
 5 stars 1979: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=341" rel="nofollow - - Night After Night
 5 stars 2011: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=341" rel="nofollow - - Reunion - Live In Tokyo  

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 01 2021 at 10:44
Good solid prog lp...with an overall rating here of 3.8.....not sure if it's 'more accessible' than the first...the last track is 12 minutes which is longer than anything on the first.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 15:53
An excellent album - it's only real problems are;

1. No Bruford
2. No Holdsworth
3. Followed the first album

But it is great fun!

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 23:39
Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

1. No Bruford
2. No Holdsworth

But it is great fun!

LOL exactly. I still love the record and band, but nothing touches the debut for me! Timeless recording piece.

-------------

Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 11:51
Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

1. No Bruford
2. No Holdsworth

But it is great fun!
That's too cruel.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk