Print Page | Close Window

Deep purple suggestions

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124775
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 20:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Deep purple suggestions
Posted By: SiiGull
Subject: Deep purple suggestions
Date Posted: December 05 2020 at 23:42
I've heard that deep purple is considered to be a semi-prog band from many sources, how ever the only definitive prog song I can I say know of theirs is Child in time. Do ya'll know what other songs they have in the prog roster?

-------------
Epic Prog moment

Replies:
Posted By: SiiGull
Date Posted: December 05 2020 at 23:46
Also, this might be a bit off topic, but according to youtube, November rain is considered prog, what do ya'll think of that?

-------------
Epic Prog moment

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 01:15
Originally posted by SiiGull SiiGull wrote:

Also, this might be a bit off topic, but according to youtube, November rain is considered prog, what do ya'll think of that?

that's nonsense, but that's youtube comments for you. 

Have you ever listened to the Rod Evans era albums of Deep Purple? 

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 02:02

I've heard that deep purple is considered to be a semi-prog band from many sources, how ever the only definitive prog song I can I say know of theirs is Child in time. Do ya'll know what other songs they have in the prog roster?

Having listened to every album by Deep Purple recently, I'd say The Book of Taliesyn is the only Deep Purple album that comes close to being a bona fide prog album, and I'd agree that Child in Time is the definitive Deep Purple prog anthem. Thumbs Up

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 08:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Having listened to every album by Deep Purple recently, I'd say The Book of Taliesyn is the only Deep Purple album that comes close to being a bona fide prog album, and I'd agree that Child in Time is the definitive Deep Purple prog anthem. Thumbs Up

I agree...Clap

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 09:15
Shades may not be the most "prog", but had a huge hand in "progressing rock music". Lord's incorporation of orchestral epics into existing pop songs was epic. Using Scheherazade to make an otherwise unlistenable Cream song a borderline masterpiece was absolutely brilliant.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 09:47
Buy Made in Japan and call it a day. No need to go further. Extended versions of every song that are better than the studio releases, and in addition to the proggy "Child in Time", listen to the 19:54 "Space Truckin'" with quotes from Holst and Dvorak.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 10:01
^ Yes, the extended organ solo that comes after Space Truckin ends is the best, and most creative keyboard solo you will find in the world of rock music, prog or otherwise.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 11:21
how about "April" from their self-titled 1969 album?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 12:16
As several have already said 'Child In Time' which makes 'In Rock' probably their most interesting and 'proggy' lp...but as Elf said Made In Japan is all you really need since it contains their best tracks done live.
'April' as Jean said is an interesting one also...Deep Purple meets  Uriah Heep with some symphonic stuff.
Personally I have never thought of DP as prog but they are listed here on PA as proto prog .

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 12:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

'April' as Jean said is an interesting one also...Deep Purple meets  Uriah Heep with some symphonic stuff.

Uriah Heep weren't a band yet in 1969 when DP was releasing their 3rd album. How could they influence Deep purple's April? Confused

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 14:35

Personally I have never thought of DP as prog but they are listed here on PA as proto prog .
And that would be correct sir.. 'Proto'...as in primitive...the beginnings of...relating to a precursor.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: December 06 2020 at 15:15
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

And that would be correct sir.. 'Proto'...as in primitive...the beginnings of...relating to a precursor.

Thanks for the heads up........

LOL

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: December 09 2020 at 05:30
Concerto For Group And Orchestra (especially the 1999 version). Gemini Suite - a similar idea.

Songs? Fools from Fireball.

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:14
The first three don't get the love that the In Rock thru Machine Head run get, but after digging the band for 40 years, they're the albums I reach for when I want to hear Deep Purple.  I also have gotten back into the Who Do We... and Taste the Band LPs over the past few years after overplaying them as a kid. 

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: tigerfeet
Date Posted: December 10 2020 at 20:52
Those were the good old days singing along to Child in Time and I could actually reach all those high notes. 

In Rock was an amazing album for that reason alone and of course Speed King where i learned air guitar Tongue

-------------
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.

Posted By: triptych
Date Posted: December 11 2020 at 10:57
Prog / psychedelic :)

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: January 01 2021 at 05:46
Originally posted by tigerfeet tigerfeet wrote:

and I could actually reach all those high notes.
Good lord. I think I would burst multiple blood vessels in my head if I even got close to reaching those high notes...

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: Snareman
Date Posted: February 27 2021 at 13:37
Deep Purple as a prog band has very few similarities with Yes, Genesis and such. They are a progressive band for 3 reasons for me, they take heavy inspiration from Jazz and Classical, They are arguably the first heavy metal band and they often avoid normal song structures. They also are an early example if not the earliest example of keyboards being used in a metal setting. I’d recommend anyone In Rock and Machine Head as well as Made in Japan, which may be the best live album of all time.

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 13:45
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

The first three don't get the love that the In Rock thru Machine Head run get, but after digging the band for 40 years, they're the albums I reach for when I want to hear Deep Purple.

Same here.

I sincerely appreciate their contributions to - the ideation and conceptualization phases of - proto-prog that lead to heavy prog along the way (which also developed into other prog genres). They didn't fully develop that genre (hence proto-prog) but what followed those 3 initial outputs was pretty damn good even for a prog head like me.

Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 14:14
Originally posted by Snareman Snareman wrote:

[EDIT]They are arguably the first heavy metal band [EDIT]
Ahhh, I'm sorry, ever hear of a little band called Steppenwolf? You know they had a song called "Born to be Wild". The one with the lyrics...

I like smoke and lightnin'
Heavy metal thunder
Racing in the wind
And the feeling that I'm under

Care to revise your argument?

-------------

Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 14:25

Originally posted by Snareman Snareman wrote:

[EDIT]They are arguably the first heavy metal band [EDIT]
Ahhh, I'm sorry, ever hear of a little band called Steppenwolf? You know they had a song called "Born to be Wild". The one with the lyrics...

I like smoke and lightnin'
Heavy metal thunder
Racing in the wind
And the feeling that I'm under

Care to revise your argument?

Deep Purple was perhaps the first hard rock band as that genre preceded heavy metal. Steppenwolf definitely had some hard rock attributes too, but fully fledged hard rock (or even heavy metal)? I think not.

Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 14:39
Steppenwolf were not  a metal band ....they did everythng from psychedelic to blues rock to hard rock.
And 'heavy metal thunder ' was about the sound of big Harley motorcycles.
From wiki though this is a well known tale:

" The song, which has been closely associated with motorcycles ever since, introduced to rock lyrics the signature term " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music" rel="nofollow - heavy metal " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steppenwolf_%28band%29#cite_note-The_Great_Rock_Discography-5" rel="nofollow - [5]  (though not about a kind of music, but about a motorcycle: "I like smoke and lightning, heavy metal thunder, racin' with the wind..."). Written by Sparrow guitarist Dennis Edmonton, who had begun using the pen name  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Bonfire" rel="nofollow - Mars Bonfire  and inspired by a billboard roadside advertisement Bonfire liked which depicted a motorcycle tearing through the billboard artwork,"
--

They certainly were heavy at times but I really can't see them being responsible for metal music.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 15:12
^exactly, and so were Iron Butterfly - heavy, that is (cf. e.g. their '68 debut 'Heavy' (!)) - but not 'heavy' as in hard or heavy rock but they ideated and conceptualized the former genre along with others including Deep Purple.

Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 15:22
^Well, I'll concede that Deep Purple had elements of what became the defining characteristics of heavy metal, distorted guitars, dense bass and drums, and loud vocals, but they were much more than that just like Steppenwolf. I couldn't say the same for bands like...
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Anthrax
Quite Riot etc.
...which I equate with Heavy Metal.

And BTW, I know what term refers to.

-------------

Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 16:04

^Well, I'll concede that Deep Purple had elements of what became the defining characteristics of heavy metal, distorted guitars, dense bass and drums, and loud vocals, but they were much more than that just like Steppenwolf. I couldn't say the same for bands like...
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Anthrax
Quite Riot etc.
...which I equate with Heavy Metal.

And BTW, I know what term refers to.
I agree with you....Purple was not really about prog metal or heavy metal..etc..they were always a hard rock band that had some psych touches and some heavier things at times...and did a few long songs.
I actually like Steppenwolf better regarding the early stuff...never been a DP fan...though they have had some nice tracks here and there.
In that other thread I think Iron Maiden really started the prog metal style...not KC or Rush . But I am not an expert on the 'prog metal' area.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 19:02
The Beatles had Helter Skelter...kind of a heavy metal song before heavy metal existed.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 19:25
Actually Uriah Heep were a band in 1969 and they started work on their first album(very eavy..) before DP started work on In Rock. Wink Still, I concede it's not likely they influenced Deep Purple. Tongue

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 01 2021 at 19:28
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The Beatles had Helter Skelter...kind of a heavy metal song before heavy metal existed.

I guess so. You could probably also say the same about Blue Cheer's cover of summertime blues. 

Date Posted: March 03 2021 at 13:41
I'm suggesting Deep Purple's most recent release WHOOSH! as their most progressive in many decades.

I particularly like the fantastic work of Airey on that album. Best keyboards I have heard by any for many years.

Posted By: Progishness
Date Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:57
I'd totally agree with the comments by Elf regarding Made in Japan (get the edition with the 3 bonus tracks) - also try the first three (pre Gillan/Glover) albums.

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Date Posted: March 12 2021 at 07:02
The Morse era albums are so often overlooked it's rather ridiculous. I wish those albums would get a fair chance. 

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:39
Sadly Led Zeppelin overlooked in the metal development stage.

But for powerful hard rock. The Who, the Hendrix Experience and the oft ignored Taste. Cream... and the guys who really developed the riff, The Kinks. Although hard rock was not their metier...

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: September 28 2021 at 09:05
You could get a taste of the variety of the band with these albums: Deep Purple (third album), Fireball, Burn, and Perpendicular. Lots of hard rock, but some occasional prog. elements thrown in too. That's a great combination, used also by Uriah Heep, etc.

The first has Rod Evans as singer, second has Ian Gillan, third has David Coverdale, and fourth has Gillan and guitarist Steve Morse.

Posted By: Schecter
Date Posted: January 29 2022 at 12:41
The song 'Lazy'

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 07:12

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 30 2022 at 07:21
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Kind of, but they recorded it as a response to what they said was a very noisy Who song (probably I Can See For Miles).

Posted By: PaulG
Date Posted: February 06 2022 at 22:15
           Deep purples Fireball release has some very Prog moments. Songs such as The Mule are very progressive. I grew up with Deep Purple and worked my way quickly from Machine Head back to Shades of and then forward through their last release at that time Come Taste the Band. I liked the Rod Evans era as much as the Ian Gillian era and had a release called Purple Passages a double lp of the first three releases I basically wore the grooves off of.
           Then of course there’s the timeless live release Made in Japan. Ritchie Blackmore’s and Jon Lord’s neoclassical jamming left me amazed. Ian Gillian also really shined on this release as his incredibly strong and natural voice sang in never before heard tandem and duet with Blackmore’s guitar runs. One of the most interesting points to live music is improv. Deep Purple did a large amount of improvising. Songs took on a whole new life. Whatever happened to bands improvising in concert?   Child In Time, The Mule, Space Truckin are all classics. This live album has never been equaled in my humble opinion.   

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk