Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124874
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 13:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Spock's Beard frontman?
Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Subject: Favorite Spock's Beard frontman?
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 05:55
I would personally pick Neal over the other two, although SB have made some really strong albums in every incarnation!

Replies:
Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 05:56
Neal Morse

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 06:46
Hot take: Ted Leonard

Brief Nocturnes is the best Spock's Beard album. The songwriting and ideas there are executed so well, seriously a display of near mastery. Leonard is just such a better singer than Neal, i've never been a fan of NM's voice, it just doesn't fit the genre too well. The follow up The Oblivion Particle is great too, however I have to also give a nod to X with Nick on lead. As for Neal, also some super solid albums with the highlights being V, Snow Live and the Light.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 06:58
Ted Leonard. He gave the band a new identity, and they have improve a lot in terms of their musical direction with him.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 07:01
Ted Leonard
one of my favorite vocalists. Big smile

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 08:04
Neal Morse of course. The soul of the band.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 08:29
On record? Neal.
Live? Nick.

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 08:37
Voted Ted.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 09:26
Mr. Morse.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 09:46
Neal was of course the mastermind behind Spock's Beard best compositons. But, IMO Nick DiVirgilio had the best vocals.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 11:25
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Hot take: Ted Leonard

Brief Nocturnes is the best Spock's Beard album. The songwriting and ideas there are executed so well, seriously a display of near mastery. Leonard is just such a better singer than Neal, i've never been a fan of NM's voice, it just doesn't fit the genre too well. The follow up The Oblivion Particle is great too, however I have to also give a nod to X with Nick on lead. As for Neal, also some super solid albums with the highlights being V, Snow Live and the Light.

I agree that 'Nocturnes' is an unbelievable album. For me, however, it is on par with 'Snow' and 'V'.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 11:44
Leonard Nimoy. Ah, I meant Ted Leonard...oh, lets call the whole thing off. Wacko

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 14:12
In the order they appeared. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 14:34
Neal for me. I'm actually not very familiar with the later material but I have seen SB live post NM (only once with NM).

Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 02:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Neal for me. I'm actually not very familiar with the later material but I have seen SB live post NM (only once with NM).

I would suggest the 2013 album as the best release post-Neal.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 12:11
Neal Morse.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 15:36
The Oblivion Particle is the best prog album in the last 20 years so my vote goes to Ted. My only misgivings and it's a small one is that the harmonies of the band don't work quite as well as when Neal was the front man of the band. I think Neal's voice is very underrated.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 03:03
Huh. I posted a thoughtful comment about why I chose Nick a day or two ago, but it didn't go through? 

Well, here it is again somewhat:

I think Nick is the best as both a singer and frontman because of the character he brings into his singing. Especially live. Ted initially sounds amazing, but upon further investigation, it seems to me he just gets by on having a high range and great vibrato control. He's a little too sterile. Nick has much more emotional dynamics in my opinion. And it just seems like he has more fun.

Check out Falling for Forever (liver version on YouTube), and you can see what I mean. The part where he takes lead is the most interesting performance in terms of character.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 07:59
Neal Morse

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 10:41
For me Morse...V is the best thing they ever did....and those first 5 are the only ones that matter for me.
Some nice things on a few of the later ones like X and Nocturnes but just dont have that same vibe.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 22:42
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Huh. I posted a thoughtful comment about why I chose Nick a day or two ago, but it didn't go through? 

Well, here it is again somewhat:

I think Nick is the best as both a singer and frontman because of the character he brings into his singing. Especially live. Ted initially sounds amazing, but upon further investigation, it seems to me he just gets by on having a high range and great vibrato control. He's a little too sterile. Nick has much more emotional dynamics in my opinion. And it just seems like he has more fun.

Check out Falling for Forever (liver version on YouTube), and you can see what I mean. The part where he takes lead is the most interesting performance in terms of character.
That's interesting. I think Nick is an amazing drummer. I just don't think his singing is up with the other two. I'll listen again to him. I've a couple of live recordings of him singing.

Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 22:50
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For me Morse...V is the best thing they ever did....and those first 5 are the only ones that matter for me.
Some nice things on a few of the later ones like X and Nocturnes but just dont have that same vibe.
X and Nocturnes are more examples of symphonic music which people on this site tend to go for. The Oblivion Particle is more eclectic music which is not as popular. That's the only reason I can think that The Oblivion Particle hasn't taken off. It's takes about 10 listens before you get it because the music is so diverse - once you get it the music is divine, easily the best accomplishment of Spock's Beard to my ears.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk