Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124876
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 16:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: CD but no LP
Posted By: JD
Subject: CD but no LP
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 17:53
So I got to wondering today if, during the CD heyday, any artists released an album on CD that never had a Vinyl release.

So here's my question.

What CD only release deserves an LP format?

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Replies:
Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 20:22
Regarding progressive rock, or artists in general?

Is Guthrie Govan Erotic Cakes available on vinyl? For some reason that's the first thing I thought of LOL.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 21:13
I'm not sure. There was probably a period between say the mid 90's and mid 2000's though when a lot of artists put out cds but not vinyl. I can't think of any specific examples though.

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 21:56
Staring in the late 80s and all through the 90s and the first part of this century most musical artists put out CDs only.
Barnes and Noble for example re-introduced record bins just a few years ago.

EDIT: reflecting on my own album collection, some artists did continue to put out LPs, but most did not.

Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 22:10
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Staring in the late 80s and all through the 90s and the first part of this century most musical artists put out CDs only.
Barnes and Noble for example re-introduced record bins just a few years ago.

EDIT: reflecting on my own album collection, some artists did continue to put out LPs, but most did not.

Late 80's? That early? Could be. I remember in early 1989 I heard on the radio(on a progressive radio show) about this band that was at the time unknown to me called Crack the Sky. I remember asking the local record store if they had their latest album called "from the greenhouse" on cd but they only had it on vinyl and had to special order it for me on cd. This was around February of 1989. I would imagine soon after that vinyl took a serious nosedive although I don't think it ever totally went away. I just think it became this hipster thing for a while. Now it seems to be more than just hipsters into it. Just recently vinyl has surpassed cds for the first time in about thirty years or something. I still don't think cds are as dead as some people think they are though. It's just that now cds are what vinyl was in the 90's (which is kind of ironic if you think about it). 

Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 22:14
^ I was going by memory as best I could. I tried to look up more specific information on the internet but couldn't find it.
My best reference was that when Bill Laswell put out 'Hallucination Engine" it did not come out on LP. That was the first time that I remember an album I wanted not being available on LP. Give me a second and I will look up the date on that LP.

But, the change was not all of a sudden of course, over time fewer and fewer artists were putting out LPs.

Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 22:18
Just looked it up, Hallucination Engine did not come out until 1994, so I would guess LPs were still happening a little later than I thought.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 23:18
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So I got to wondering today if, during the CD heyday, any artists released an album on CD that never had a Vinyl release.

So here's my question.

Plenty.  Even today, independent artists may offer a CD version but opt out of an LP pressing.  The LP fad is recent.  Mid 90s to noughties, it was all CD.

Date Posted: December 18 2020 at 23:24

Just looked it up, Hallucination Engine did not come out until 1994, so I would guess LPs were still happening a little later than I thought.

Yeah, that sounds about right. As you said before there were exceptions but a lot of bands stopped doing vinyl altogether. I remember working in the music department of a store in late 1994 and the latest Pearl Jam album called VS came out on vinyl but it was this special limited edition kind of thing. The store sold very little vinyl at all aside from that one. So if I were to guess I would say that by 1992 most bands had stopped doing vinyl. It's hard to say because not all bands stopped doing it entirely. It was probably a decision made more by the record companies than by the bands themselves. Many bands still sell cds at their shows and some even still sell cassette tapes.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 06:05
Frankly, I don’t know. It seems there was a time when CDs were the format, and many artists didn’t bother to release their music in any other format. when the LP nostalgia began, then things got different.

Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 06:27
I was too lazy to search Discogs by title to review release info but looks like that might be my best bet. I've been culling my CD collection and I keep wondering, 'Is this on LP?'

CD's have a very low resale value, so a CD only or limited release might have a better market price.

So that raises a second question...

Why don't CD's have a similar value as LP's, even more recent releases?

I'm guessing the following factors:
-Mass production (for the most part)
-Durability (things that can wear out quicker (LP's) are more valuable if kept safe)
-Hipness

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 06:50
^Add nostalgia factor as well and..well yatzy!
There does seem to be a ‘reverence’ to LPs that wholly escapes CDs. You have to handle your LP with a somewhat ‘white-gloved approach’ in order to be able to play it again the month after.

Speaking personally here but I also find that LPs generally are a better way of approaching music for the youngins out there. Compared to other platforms where skipping a track, shuffle feature and playlists are easy as pie...with LPs you learn to listen to albums all the way through...unless of course you’re one of those rare nutcases that can’t leave the turntable alone for more than a minute or so (just stop it!).
I certainly learned to appreciate albums over tunes back when my parents only had a turntable. This way of listening to music also opens up to far more music. You hear all the stuff that isn’t wellknown or played to death over the radio. Most folks I know that stream their music often tend to listen to the same tracks over and over again. CD’s require physical movement when you want a different album so is in fact a tad more troublesome for the eclectic track-shuffling connoisseur..yet I still witness grown men fighting over which track supposedly is the rightfull successor to the one playing...most oftenly requiring a change of cd
Curiously enough I mostly buy CDs. I live in a very poorly soundproofed apartment so I mostly listen to music over my headphones...and while I find the small cracks and pops part of the charm of LPs over my speakers, it’s just too much over the cans.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 07:48

So here's my question.

Hi,

None.

It's a matter of time, and the LP thing will die off.

SOAPBOX 31A: (Please stop here and go home otherwise! Wink)

There is a lot to be said about recording ... BEFORE DIGITAL ... mostly because the microphone being in front of something, like the amplifier, the drums and so on, always had an added percent or two of the ambience around it, like waves inside the bass drum, which would add a different sound than the current digital setup.

As time goes by, a lot of these small details will get improved and the DIGITAL sound will also improve ... but let's not forget that most folks are hearing very cheap mp3's and have no idea what the FLAC and other high level digital platforms sound like ... so a lot of this argument is way too sentimental for my tastes.

The only LP's I DO NOT wish to let go of, are the ones that are not on CD yet, and for some reason probably will NEVER be on CD, which is not a good way to represent, or remember the music at all.

I'm just disappointed that we continue thinking that an LP is better, and it isn't ... besides the fact that I have been getting rid of my LP's because at 70, 2K of those things are heavy and a pain to carry around ... and then the turntable makers these days, only supply crap ... with the over rated price for one particular turntable that is not worth the money ... it doesn't even have a proper hard cover ... !!! Oh ... don't forget the crappy cartridge ... which in many ways is the biggest difference of all that made the LP's sound better. I did this with a cheap stylus and a Stanton EEE back in 1978, when I first got my ESS HEIL AMT1 and I remember the difference. The $250 dollars spent in 1978 for that cartridge made the music way better ... it wasn't the LP. ALSO, do not forget (great example!!!) that the English versions of Sgt Peppers, Their Majesty's Blah, DSOTM ... were vastly superior to the American versions which were copied from some cassette in a dumpster somewhere, and not as clean and clear as the remix/remasters have made these things be.

I think that understand/knowing a bit of this history will tell you a lot more about the music ... keep listening to the crappy mp3's and one day you will find that you wasted your money!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 07:53

I was too lazy to search Discogs by title to review release info but looks like that might be my best bet. I've been culling my CD collection and I keep wondering, 'Is this on LP?'

CD's have a very low resale value, so a CD only or limited release might have a better market price.

-Durability (things that can wear out quicker (LP's) are more valuable if kept safe)
-Hipness
I would say three things make LPs more expensive than CDs:
1) Clever music marketing people have made the LP cool again.
2) LPs probably cost more to produce.
3) A lot of people think LPs sound better. To my ears LPs sound better on a lot of music, but when it comes to modern digitally produced electronic music, CDs sound fine. To my ears, older acoustic music that was recorded on analog equipment sounds better on LP.
For instance, digitally reproduced string sections have always sounded like a digital sample of strings to me. Owning a sampler and using it gave me a clearer idea of what digitally reproduced sounds sound like.

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 07:57
I refer to Discogs a lot and these stood out to me recently from VdGG:

https://www.discogs.com/Van-Der-Graaf-Generator-Present/master/33433
https://www.discogs.com/Van-Der-Graaf-Generator-Trisector/master/425834

There will probably be LPs of these some time I imagine, though I doubt Psychedelic Paul will ne buying Present lol 

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 08:13

3) A lot of people think LPs sound better. To my ears LPs sound better on a lot of music, but when it comes to modern digitally produced electronic music, CDs sound fine. To my ears, older acoustic music that was recorded on analog equipment sounds better on LP.

Hi,

It only sounds better because in the old days, a microphone in front of an instrument (think orchestra specially !!!!!!) would also pick up a certain percentage of waves from around them, which would also include other sounds ... to resolve this a famous conductor, decided to separate the portions of the orchestra completely so this would not be found. And it led to improving recording for an orchestra and kinda ending with the RED SEAL albums on RCA that were the top of the tops of the line in recording quality in the late 60's.

Acoustic will always sound better, just like it does LIVE. Because we hear the slight echo and distortions from the guitar with its hole in the middle which offers a vibration that digital can not exactly pick up directly.

I don't think that using "acoustic" is a great example, since almost nothing these days is recorded "acoustically" unless the concert is live, and then it's all digital anyway.

The whole analog thing will die out sooner than we think ... the costs is one issue, but the quality of the product is not guaranteed, and the LP's that my old room mate got (LZ, BS, Rush) WERE NOT AS GOOD as the CD's played on my system with the great speakers, and he felt cheated ... he spent money on a turntable and then used mine, and the sound, was a 100 miles apart as I still had my Pioneer 12D and the expensive cartridge I bought from Stanton in 1978. My thoughts were, at the time, that these LP's of old stuff were not taken from masters or high quality recordings ... they were simply "cleaned up", from a regular CD/album and the laugh was ... THE LISTENER WILL NEVER KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. Like you're gonna tell me next that Capitol, Columbia, Warner Bros ... never cheated the public and got away with the cheapest product they could to make more money.

For instance, digitally reproduced string sections have always sounded like a digital sample of strings to me. Owning a sampler and using it gave me a clearer idea of what digitally reproduced sounds sound like.

I wanted to mention ... I have the Jupiter 8V from Arturia and it sounds WAY  BETTER than the Jupiter 8 live in the studio or stage! But, it's really hard to tell people about this ... it's too eccentric a discussion and it WILL DISTORT the analog/digital thoughts we have.

And lest we forget ... many of those synths were even enhanced AFTER THE FACT on many recordings ... specially those with electronics up the yazoo. To give you a small idea, check out the special on the Klaus Schulze DVD with Lisa ... and what a good engineer can do for your music. That's the same DVD that has Steven Wilson talking to Klaus about music! It's worth having just for those 2 bits! But we don't even realize how far, someone like Alan Parsons can go to make a recording good! AND THAT'S DIGITAL!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 08:21
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

There will probably be LPs of these some time I imagine, though I doubt Psychedelic Paul will ne buying Present lol 

Hi,

Hmmmm ... I don't really see the need. I would rather see PH/VdGG live than waste the money on another LP!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 09:08
Hmm of the top of my head. I cannot think of any musicians who released only Cds!

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 11:02
AFAIAA, even in the later 90's, most bands (or labels anyways) wanting to sell in the UK kept pressing vinyls, because that's where the format never died and had die-hard fans in big enough numbers to make a difference and being heard.

Sooo, I don't think there are too many good albums that do not have an historical vinyl release (often UK-only). Probably much less than there are good albums that have never received a CD release

I remember seeing Floyd's TDB, RATM's debut album, PJ's Vitalogy, GYBE! albums in vinyls

-Hipness

Well,  the marketing's ploy is to exploit hipster's gullibility by having them buy a dozen of them a week, fill walls of their loft for decoration and speculation purposes, but will have never time to sit down and listen to a quarter of what they bought, simply because they haven't got the "physical time" (or interest) to do so.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 11:29
Simon Says - Tardigrade was never released on Vinyl I think.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: December 19 2020 at 11:52
In the late 90's and early 2000's I either had a turn table or had access to one. I would go to record stores that sold cds and vinyl. Typically I would just buy used viny for a dollar per album. I wasn't exactly bumping elbows with people but I was not the only one looking through the vinyl either. I would also buy stuff at thrift stores. At some point(maybe around 2005)I got rid of the record player and speakers because they were old. I do plan on getting one again one day. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 00:16
Par Lindh Project - Gothic Impressions.
Wonderful music and artwork.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 01:19

-Hipness
Used LPs are more expensive than used CDs, which have almost no value anymore. New CD releases are still in the US$15-$18 range, some more and less. New records can run $20-$30, some more some less, dbl LPs can run $35.
More than anything, CDs big problem is that not many audio mfg offer a CD player anymore, almost all new cars do not have a CD player. There really is no reason to buy a CD anymore, new at least. Its a format that is lossy restricted to 20hz-20khz, full of compression and brickwalled to hell.......It's a shame that the digital industry has not been able to save the CD.
CDs sound like you said, just fine....That's been my problem since I first bought a CD player in '85, it has never wowed me. 
Today we have records and analog equipment that in most cases rivals the sound of digital, you can't deny that's what people want. Analog gear today is light years better than anything I had in the 70s-80s, electronics are simply better for analog.

Capturing live music in a studio recording session using digital gear has been the best thing to happen to music for sure, save that to a 24-32bit file and you have everything. Then what happens is the unskilled engineer trashes the recording with piss poor mastering, mixing....that's what we hear and what most people complain about. Take that 24bit file and master it for vinyl and you have magic.....You want something close you have to spend uber money on a DSD system, 24bit hi-rez comes close but still not there. Those 24bit hi-rez and DSD files cost more than records, and you own nothing...what is a digital file??

LPs have been around forever, they are not going anywhere...they never did. I figure those marketing people simply jumped ship and left the CD world for a format that they can make a living off of......maybe. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 01:28

So here's my question.

Not sure off the top of my head regarding rock or progressive rock. Anything I can think of that was released on CD only in the 90's has been issued on LP.
There are some R&B/Funk CDs that have not been issued on LP. 

Collective Soul s/t was just released on LP this past August for first time, after 25yrs.....I have not ordered it yet, one of my better sounding CDs, everything I have read is the LP version is brilliant, full of dynamics. It was cut at SST GmbH, they do excellent work.

-------------

Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 07:45
^An excellent album. I may have to investigate that one.

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: December 20 2020 at 08:43
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

You're right! I bought Van der Graaf Generator's two superb 1970 albums last Christmas, but I have no plans to add any more  VDGG CD's to my collection at Present. Smile

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: December 22 2020 at 16:48
I'm quite sure that Roger Waters' Amused To Death didn't have a vinyl edition, actually. I think it has been reprinted on vinyl later.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: December 22 2020 at 17:01
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I'm quite sure that Roger Waters' Amused To Death didn't have a vinyl edition, actually. I think it has been reprinted on vinyl later.
It was issued in 1992 on LP, not in the US though. The original Columbia/Europe LPs are very pricey, upwards of $200.
It has also been reissued/remastered in 2015, I think, pressed by Analogue Productions on 200g vinyl...

-------------

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: December 22 2020 at 22:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Par Lindh Project - Gothic Impressions.
Wonderful music and artwork.

Great!!!, and ill recommend sInkadus "Cirkus" and "Aura Nostrum" too

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 03:33
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Used LPs are more expensive than used CDs, which have almost no value anymore. New CD releases are still in the US$15-$18 range, some more and less. New records can run $20-$30, some more some less, dbl LPs can run $35.
More than anything, CDs big problem is that not many audio mfg offer a CD player anymore, almost all new cars do not have a CD player. There really is no reason to buy a CD anymore, new at least. Its a format that is lossy restricted to 20hz-20khz, full of compression and brickwalled to hell.......It's a shame that the digital industry has not been able to save the CD.
CDs sound like you said, just fine....That's been my problem since I first bought a CD player in '85, it has never wowed me. 
Today we have records and analog equipment that in most cases rivals the sound of digital, you can't deny that's what people want. Analog gear today is light years better than anything I had in the 70s-80s, electronics are simply better for analog.

LPs have been around forever, they are not going anywhere...they never did. I figure those marketing people simply jumped ship and left the CD world for a format that they can make a living off of......maybe. 

Mmmhhh!!!... CDs are still outselling vinyls 5 to 1, according to the industry, but it's clear that the industry prefers selling vinyls because of a wider profit margin. Taking advantage of the public's gullibity, I guess.

We went from AAA to AAD to ADD to DDD , and recently vinyls have made it DDA and maybe even DAA, but once a D is in the equation (no matter where), the interest for analog/vinyl is purely in the mindframe (the hipster's mindframeConfusedLOL)

As for new cars, indeed the number of models coming with CD player as standard equipment is diminishing, but last time I rented one in March (A Nissan Kashgai, I believe), it had one and sdo did the two Mercedes I rented previously (in 2019). Anyways, it's nothing a good car customizing couldn't fix if you don't have one but want to install one.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 08:53
Hi,

It's pretty obvious that as time goes by even the CD will fall out ... already, about a third of the music I am hearing (Space Pirate Radio), is not even available on CD at all ... and while I originally frowned on not being able to get a CD ... there isn't one ... and I wanted that long piece by Reuter and Quaeschning! But it is only available in download. 

I still get a few CD's but it's getting harder to find the very things you want, and in some cases some of the older materials have a ridiculous price.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 09:04
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Mmmhhh!!!... CDs are still outselling vinyls 5 to 1, according to the industry, but it's clear that the industry prefers selling vinyls because of a wider profit margin. Taking advantage of the public's gullibity, I guess.

We went from AAA to AAD to ADD to DDD , and recently vinyls have made it DDA and maybe even DAA, but once a D is in the equation (no matter where), the interest for analog/vinyl is purely in the mindframe (the hipster's mindframeConfusedLOL)

As for new cars, indeed the number of models coming with CD player as standard equipment is diminishing, but last time I rented one in March (A Nissan Kashgai, I believe), it had one and sdo did the two Mercedes I rented previously (in 2019). Anyways, it's nothing a good car customizing couldn't fix if you don't have one but want to install one.

The first D will always be there, it's the next 2 that the digital industry has not been able to master (pun intended) well in the digital world. Recording in the studio should be digital, that has no effect on what we hear on CD, streaming or on LP, and a hipster has nothing to do with why records are in higher demand. ConfusedThe only thing they have created demand for is beard trimming equipment.....LOL

What digital has done to music is removed the emotion to recording in a studio, a lot of music is not recorded live anymore, it's all pieced together to make a song. It is just part of the now movement, I want everything now and if I have to wait 5 minutes that's 4 minutes too long. 

We don't listen with a dynamic range of 120-130dB, 24bit audio pushes to like 140dB, that's like the difference between absolute silence and a jet engine, that's inhuman we don't listen that way. And music is not intended to be reproduced like that either, anything over 95dB IMO is artificial, I think a CD/redbook is like 85-95dB max, LPs are 75-80dB. And can I hear 20Hz to 20kHz? No, none of us can especially the highs, unless we are a baby with brand new ears or a dog......but I still want all that and more because it exists in the live music, I want my system to have the ability to reproduce 10Hz to 50kHz, not because I can hear it but because I can feel it and adds to the sustain of a note. A cymbal crash can extend to over 80kHz and most brass, string, woodwind and other percussion instruments can reach 40kHz.......I remember reading a report of a sound testing lab from one of the California State universities measured instruments hitting over 100kHz....cra-cra!! It's there, we will never hear it but it adds the emotion, body sense and completes the music...
The CD is limited to 20kHz, so a lossy format. The LP has been pressed with upwards of 50kHz, playback gear to do that is not found at your local Walmart. Speakers are the culprit as tweeters are not built to play that high....My cartridge has a freq range of 10Hz to 50kHz, I'm not sure I need that but its there in case I do.

As far as the car CDP issue, I don't want one, I can buy a $10 64GB USB drive and load up 5,000 songs, do the math and tell me how many CDs I need to have in my car for that! Digital has been the best thing for portability, I mean you don't see anyone playing CDs on an airplane??? LOL So again, there is no reason to buy CDs, unless you only want them to rip for portability...which I do that.

Hey, listen how you like and however it makes you smile, that is the only thing that matters with music......!

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 10:36
^Nice post. Thumbs Up
If you like to read about such things might I recommend:

Perfecting Sound Forever - Greg Milner

An interesting history of chasing perfect sound.

The same thing is happening in video, 1080P, 4K, 8K.
I mean really, how good do they think my eyes are?

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 10:55
There must be cd's that were never put out on vinyl but not something I keep track of.
Regarding the format I love old original vinyl for the collectable aspects as well as the nostalgia thing.
I have a few reissues on better quality vinyl but I prefer the original when I can find one. For me it's about the old days and recapturing that feeling of getting that lp as it came out.
I play mostly cd's these days for two reasons...it's easier to slip it in the player and I play cd's in my car...hard to do with vinyl. Wink
As to sound quality..this is an old argument that has been on several threads in the past. I have no problem with cd sound...in fact on most they have a larger dynamic range ,more bass ,and sound 'louder'.
But I also like the way vinyl sounds and one can simply turn up the volume if need be...the only trouble is that some old vinyl was not made that well or has suffered abuse with time. If I don't have a clean copy I will resort to playing the cd....but I love the artwork, covers, etc on vinyl.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 10:57
 CDs are still outselling vinyls 5 to 1, according to the industry, but it's clear that the industry prefers selling vinyls because of a wider profit margin. Taking advantage of the public's gullibity, I guess.

I remember about a couple of months ago or so there was this big news that for the first time since the 80's vinyl was outselling cds. Has it changed since then? Maybe but I kind of doubt it. 

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 10:59

^Nice post. Thumbs Up
If you like to read about such things might I recommend:

Perfecting Sound Forever - Greg Milner

An interesting history of chasing perfect sound.

The same thing is happening in video, 1080P, 4K, 8K.
I mean really, how good do they think my eyes are?
Ha!!! Good enough to reach into your wallet and pull out that Platinum American Express card you got JD for that 8K TV....come on brother, give it up u got it!! Clap LOL

Merry Christmas my friend!!

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 11:04
Happy Ho-Ho man ! Beer

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 14:00

The first D will always be there, it's the next 2 that the digital industry has not been able to master (pun intended) well in the digital world. Recording in the studio should be digital, that has no effect on what we hear on CD, streaming or on LP, and a hipster has nothing to do with why records are in higher demand. ConfusedThe only thing they have created demand for is beard trimming equipment.....LOL

What digital has done to music is removed the emotion to recording in a studio, a lot of music is not recorded live anymore, it's all pieced together to make a song. It is just part of the now movement, I want everything now and if I have to wait 5 minutes that's 4 minutes too long. 

Well, that's what I'm saying: as soon as there is a D in the chain vinyl format becomes useless ... or at least superfluous.
You'd be surprised how mant vinyls are pressed from MP3

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-vinyls-boom-is-over-1500721202" rel="nofollow - https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-vinyls ... 1500721202

Mmmhhj!!!.. Beard (and hair) trimming equipment is indeed the other hipster fixation, but the vinyl collection is the subsidiary question that sets apart the men from the hipipister LOLWink

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

CDs are still outselling vinyls 5 to 1, according to the industry, but it's clear that the industry prefers selling vinyls because of a wider profit margin. Taking advantage of the public's gullibity, I guess.

I remember about a couple of months ago or so there was this big news that for the first time since the 80's vinyl was outselling cds. Has it changed since then? Maybe but I kind of doubt it. 

Why is it when Trump opens his mouth, it gets imidiately classed as fake news, and when the bullsh*t comes from hipsterumps, it's treated as gospel? LOL

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 14:18

LOL So again, there is no reason to buy CDs, unless you only want them to rip for portability...which I do that.

Hey, listen how you like and however it makes you smile, that is the only thing that matters with music......!

Hi,

The only thing I can see might be an issue is that selling a CD seems to be harder, since we have gotten totally spoiled by the 99 Cents purchase 25 years ago. It was the beginning of the end for albums with more than "one song" ... and the CD costs a lot more than that.

The sad thing, and I think it is kinda hidden but visible in PA is how many people only know a band by one song they like, and they have not heard the CD ... and I'm willing to bet that a good 25% of the folks that voted for ANY BAND, did so without having even heard the full album. A great example is the other thread with people  that have not heard FISH on his own, and how he has matured, and disliked him in Marillion ... and his later material is superior to that by Marillion ... not that they are bad ... still very good ... but as I said, I would rather spend my 99 Cents on "The Rose of Damascus", than any song by Marillion in the past 5 years! And I have all the CD's by Marillion in the past 20 years and the last one was the one with the classical musicians which was fantastic, but was more about the MUSIC than the songs themselves.

All in all, you didn't buy the first 4 or 5 YES albums, or JETHRO TULL albums, or KING CRIMSON albums, or ELP albums, because of one song ... the whole album of theirs was worth it ... Lucky Man was great ... but the rest of the album was ... WOW of the highest order!

This is the problem, for me, with the 99 Cents thing, however, I think this may just be a CYCLE in the commercial sense .. as more artists make their decisions to not be looking for a "song" to sell for 99 Cents and create more valuable and important things.

But, there are things that are BEYOND the money ... that we are forgetting ... there is music out there, even in downloads (AND NOT ON CD) that are worth it ... I'm picking up the Reuter/Quaeschning thing that is 40 minutes long ... because it is amazingly fantastic and is almost a continuation and beautiful rendition of the early days Cosmic stuff that went on to create the Couriers, Tangerine Dream and many other bands. 

As soon as most people get off the cheap sell ... I think we will see changes ... and I think that "Progressive" will then stand up even better in its history, as the folks that just bought the 99 Cents song fade away!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 14:20

Well, that's what I'm saying: as soon as there is a D in the chain vinyl format becomes useless ... or at least superfluous.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-vinyls-boom-is-over-1500721202" rel="nofollow - https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-vinyls ... 1500721202

Mmmhhj!!!.. Beard (and hair) trimming equipment is indeed the other hipster fixation, but the vinyl collection is the subsidiary question that sets apart the men from the hipipister LOLWink

Why is it when Trump opens his mouth, it gets imidiately classed as fake news, and when the bullsh*t comes from hipsterumps, it's treated as gospel? LOL

Well, it's not just the pitchfork website(if that's what you mean by hipsters). 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/sep/14/vinyl-records-outsell-cds-in-us-for-first-time-since-1980s

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/09/12/vinyl-records-outsold-cds-first-time-since-80-s/5781302002/

If you have information or have links to sources that prove the contrary I would love to see it. 

I see no reason why anyone would lie about something like this. ;) 

My only issue with it is that even if it is true it seems odd that more people would have turntables than cd players these days. Maybe people are just buying vinyl to seem cool or to use them as posters. Not sure. Then again I'm biased anyway being a cd person so it doesn't really make much difference to me either way. I hope you are right though because I don't want cds to go away.

Edit: Apparently this information is from the RIAA so I really don't see why they would lie about it. To them sales are sales; it probably makes no difference to them what is selling how much.

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 14:27

Ohh...no no no!! I can't read the whole article as I have zero desire to register with WSJ. But there are no production plants, mastering houses that use an MP3 to master and press a record, an MP3 is not an accepted file to produce a master file for pressing.
Now there are some records that are CD drops, like needle drops, to be on the cheap and the SQ is for the shat!! I think DT12 was close to a CD drop, the vinyl is horrid terribly compressed and lifeless.

I have no idea who these artists are and what their issue was.......but you can read here from GZ Vinyl a well respected, known mastering house and pressing plant in Europe. They use DMM process or Direct Metal Mastering so they eliminate one of the stampers in the process, direct to copper plate. Here is there technical sheet on what to send them for mastering to vinyl, you can scroll to 2 Material Required for Mastering.

They also state the following:
2.1.1.2 Non-recommended and inappropriate formats: Lossy compressed audio formats: 
• MP3, MP2, MP1 (MPEG-1 Layer 3, 2 and 1) 
• MP4, AAC, M4A (MPEG-4, Advanced Audio Coding) 
• AC3 (Dolby Digital), DTS (Digital Theatre System Coherent Acoustics) 
• WMA (Windows Media Audio, Microsoft), MOV (QuickTime) • OGG (OggVorbis), MKA (Matroska Audio), RA, RM (Real Audio, Real Media)

http://www.gzvinyl.com/getattachment/41646814-6a7a-471d-bbaa-61c233ab6533/Technical-conditions" rel="nofollow - http://www.gzvinyl.com/getattachment/41646814-6a7a-471d-bbaa-61c233ab6533/Technical-conditions

Mastering houses like GZ, Optimal Media, Sterling Sound, MPO are the ones to look at for how mastering and pressing for vinyl is done to achieve brilliant gorgeous sound, they also press CDs if u wanna buy one of those!! Big smile

Merry Christmas!

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 15:22

total BS

His hipster's trimmed a tailored beard is probably longer than Khomeiny's, nowadays LOL

Ohh...no no no!! I can't read the whole article as I have zero desire to register with WSJ. But there are no production plants, mastering houses that use an MP3 to master and press a record, an MP3 is not an accepted file to produce a master file for pressing.
Now there are some records that are CD drops, like needle drops, to be on the cheap and the SQ is for the shat!! I think DT12 was close to a CD drop, the vinyl is horrid terribly compressed and lifeless.

I have no idea who these artists are and what their issue was.......but you can read here from GZ Vinyl a well respected, known mastering house and pressing plant in Europe. They use DMM process or Direct Metal Mastering so they eliminate one of the stampers in the process, direct to copper plate. Here is there technical sheet on what to send them for mastering to vinyl, you can scroll to 2 Material Required for Mastering.

Can't help you with the WSJ (but difficult to find more serious journalism), so I've got a French article glancing that article. Telerama is the intelligent and reliable french TV guide .

https://www.telerama.fr/musique/le-vinyle-ne-tourne-plus-tres-rond,161200.php?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1501245641

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 15:58
Found a ‘98 CD not issues on LP....would be nice too.

Chroma Key/Dead Air For Radios

-------------

Posted By: anoopanunya
Date Posted: December 23 2020 at 20:08
not sure if anyone else has said this yet, but i think Rajaz by Camel is quite deserving. Released in 1999 and sounds just like how it would’ve in the 70’s (in a good way).

Posted By: Rrattlesnake
Date Posted: December 24 2020 at 10:39
Soundtracks for the Blind never had an LP release until 2018

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 25 2020 at 05:50

AFAIAA, even in the later 90's, most bands (or labels anyways) wanting to sell in the UK kept pressing vinyls, because that's where the format never died and had die-hard fans in big enough numbers to make a difference and being heard.

Sooo, I don't think there are too many good albums that do not have an historical vinyl release (often UK-only). Probably much less than there are good albums that have never received a CD release

I remember seeing Floyd's TDB, RATM's debut album, PJ's Vitalogy, GYBE! albums in vinyls

-Hipness

Well,  the marketing's ploy is to exploit hipster's gullibility by having them buy a dozen of them a week, fill walls of their loft for decoration and speculation purposes, but will have never time to sit down and listen to a quarter of what they bought, simply because they haven't got the "physical time" (or interest) to do so.

I have never been a hipster (ask any of my friends).

What I did was buy a very fine vinyl player (a Pink Triangle Anniversary with an SME Series V arm and a Lyra Lydian cartridge) back in the mid 90s. The Lydian has been retired and an Ortofon Cadenza Blue has taken its place, but the sounds that emanate from it have never been matched by any CD player, no matter how expensive.

So I only use vinyl unless albums are unobtainable on LP. Why? Because on anything acoustic or analogue, vinyl splatters CDs.

I desperately want a pristine vinyl of Out of Myself and Hybris: they exist but are hard to get.
Also, I'd love it if Mostly Autumn released their stuff on LP.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: December 25 2020 at 07:54
Hipsters in my opinion are a very contrived social group. Their whole thing is trying to be different from the mainstream and non comfomist and yet they are very much conforming to certain "rules." You probably won't see many on this site because prog isn't cool enough for them. 

Anyway, it seems like for a while hipsters were the only ones into vinyl but I seriously doubt that is still the case. 

Date Posted: December 25 2020 at 09:33

... Their whole thing is trying to be different from the mainstream and non conformist and yet they are very much conforming to certain "rules." You probably won't see many on this site because prog isn't cool enough for them. 

Hi,

You probably mean ... they don't dress properly and their women are conventional fuddy mommas .... ???

To be fair, the "scene" was hip until it was invaded by middle class wearing flowers in their hair and butts! AND, the music was excellent and is the first example of "progressive music" with its many long cuts and experimental trips! 

If "prog" is not cool enough for someone ... GOOD RIDDANCE! Those folks are usually the ones sinking their lips into a lollipop and wearing Elvis T-shirts .... !!!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: December 26 2020 at 05:55

Hipsters in my opinion are a very contrived social group. Their whole thing is trying to be different from the mainstream and non comfomist and yet they are very much conforming to certain "rules." You probably won't see many on this site because prog isn't cool enough for them. 

Anyway, it seems like for a while hipsters were the only ones into vinyl but I seriously doubt that is still the case. 

well, i'm not saying that my generation didn't try to dress up +/- cool during my high-school days*, but that was when we were teens under influences. These hipsters are adults, ranging from  25 to 40 and dress up like an army.

They came to be as form of reaction after the metrosexuals (you know, those would-be androgyn - the ones chasing any form of body hairs), but my guess is that they got interested  in vinyl after the resurgence started. Once they realized that vinyls existed and it wasn't CD (mom & dad's music - which is obligatory to loath) but the granpa and granma's vinyl form of music (which is ok with them).

I think most hipster are cultivating hairs (all types) to make sure the butch lesbians (who can't compete in that dept.) in order to get the chicks - probably because they were losing that battle .

BTW, I don't think hipster hate prog in particular or at all (it isn't in their bible), but it's clear that their love of vinyls helped tremendously those historical vinyl buffs - you know those who are still claiming (wrongly) that the CD killed the vinyl. Vinyl was "killed" by cassettes (portability issues with walkmans) and cassettes were killed by CDs - especially once discman became (out-of-) household items.

*: In later 70's in Canada, "cool" was dressing with long hair (parted in the middle) with torn jeans t-shirts and flanel lumberjack shirts (worn opened/unbuttoned as a jacket would) and those ankle-height Kodiak workboots (generally unlaced-up) or those swedish clogs (in summertime), with aviator style glasses (whether sun or corrective), +/- no matter what type of rock music was being listened to (except disco fags**)

** : we called them fags, but they were getting a sizeable amounts of chicks - at least those not dressing up like Village People.LOL

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: December 26 2020 at 06:14

Fingers crossed for this amazing album getting a vinyl release in 2021:

Another "looking forward to" for me is all three Shadowland albums

Collage's Moonshine got a vinyl issue last year and I managed to get one for myself - https://www.discogs.com/Collage-Moonshine/release/14551984" rel="nofollow - they're selling it for almost $300 now!

Also would like Fates Warning's Disconnected to be reissued, coz https://www.discogs.com/Fates-Warning-Disconnected/release/3426802" rel="nofollow - this one is a bit too expensive

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 26 2020 at 06:23
Catcher10
?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 26 2020 at 08:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Catcher10
?

LOL

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: December 26 2020 at 14:40
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

-Hipness

I have never been a hipster (ask any of my friends).

What I did was buy a very fine vinyl player (a Pink Triangle Anniversary with an SME Series V arm and a Lyra Lydian cartridge) back in the mid 90s. The Lydian has been retired and an Ortofon Cadenza Blue has taken its place, but the sounds that emanate from it have never been matched by any CD player, no matter how expensive.

So I only use vinyl unless albums are unobtainable on LP. Why? Because on anything acoustic or analogue, vinyl splatters CDs.

I desperately want a pristine vinyl of Out of Myself and Hybris: they exist but are hard to get.
Also, I'd love it if Mostly Autumn released their stuff on LP.

What did u do with the Lydian?? I use a Delos now, been thinking of going to a Kleos, we'll see as the Delos does everything I like really well.

BTW, I too have been awaiting Out Of Myself, and last month it was reissued, I have a pre-order in with LasersEdge maybe there are some still available. There was a gold or yellow version available on Burning Shed I think, those are all gone...

-------------

Date Posted: December 26 2020 at 14:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Catcher10
?

Yes may I help you?? LOL
At least the dude is listening to the best format ever for music...LOL

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 27 2020 at 13:55
Originally posted by anoopanunya anoopanunya wrote:

not sure if anyone else has said this yet, but i think Rajaz by Camel is quite deserving. Released in 1999 and sounds just like how it would’ve in the 70’s (in a good way).

I'd just literally put the CD on when I read this and realised it's never been out on vinyl.
I'd die for a vinyl copy, as it's one of the best albums ever recorded.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: December 28 2020 at 12:18
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by anoopanunya anoopanunya wrote:

I'd just literally put the CD on when I read this and realised it's never been out on vinyl.
I'd die for a vinyl copy, as it's one of the best albums ever recorded.

Hi,

I'm not sure that it is possible ... I think that CAMEL is run by small margins and their ability to do something extravagant (like making a LP) is likely not possible, or something the band does not feel is necessary as it would not change or improve their music in any way.

I personally find the whole thing ridiculous, and with that folks would spend some time hearing some of the Beatles and Stones that were "remixed" and "remastered" ... but the problem is ... you don't realize that they sound EXACTLY like the IMPORT of those albums. The best example of it is DARK SIDE OF THE MOON ... where you can make out all the background details clearly which were smothered and just about removed for the AMERICAN release ... and of course, 30 years later a "NEW" remix or remaster shows up and all it did was move that voice close to our ears, and move the bass 5 feet back, and ohh .... we can't have Nick on the front ... and literally destroy the beauty of the album ... and people went out and bought the damn thing without realizing they had been had.

Get the IMPORT copy of the albums ... you will be surprised at the difference, specially if you have a good stereo, when the whole thing comes alive ... not just "loud" because the guitar is up front right by your eyes and ears!

I wish more folks had seen this ... and realized what it was all about ... and the main reason why I do not care for SW is because all he does is "move around" the instruments some by making it look like they are in different spots in the room ... or should I say, your ears! Big fudging deal!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: December 28 2020 at 14:15
Yuka & Chronoship - None of their albums are available on vinyl.

Ellesmere - Their new one, Wyrd, needs a vinyl release badly. Hell, it's also 40 minutes long...

Nemo - Coma is the only title available on vinyl.

Yes - Keystudio anyone? Crying out for a RSD release!!!

The Flower Kings - A large chunk of their discography is CD only.

Neal Morse - One, Question Mark, Sola Scriptura, Lifeline, T2 and Momentum all need a vinyl release.

Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard (although BBT are taking care of that for 2021.)

Karfagen - Again, none of his albums are on vinyl - which is a damn shame. Have you peeped that artwork?

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: December 28 2020 at 17:09
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Yuka & Chronoship - None of their albums are available on vinyl.

Ellesmere - Their new one, Wyrd, needs a vinyl release badly. Hell, it's also 40 minutes long...

Nemo - Coma is the only title available on vinyl.

Yes - Keystudio anyone? Crying out for a RSD release!!!

The Flower Kings - A large chunk of their discography is CD only.

Neal Morse - One, Question Mark, Sola Scriptura, Lifeline, T2 and Momentum all need a vinyl release.

Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard (although BBT are taking care of that for 2021.)

Karfagen - Again, none of his albums are on vinyl - which is a damn shame. Have you peeped that artwork?

TFK...they are coming out slowly, I really would like A&E as well Sum Of No Evil, even Flower Power would be welcomed!

-------------

Posted By: Cboi Sandlin
Date Posted: March 25 2021 at 17:35
I think pretty much anything that is not complete trash is prolly out on vinyl somewhere. LOL

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 26 2021 at 00:33
It depends on the size of the label and the band during what period. As someone said, most late 80's through 90's bands usually had cassette and disc only. There was no point and profit in printing Death HUMAN on vinyl, because that market isn't listening to death metal for the fidelity, I assure you. You can't hear sh*t in those mixes anyway, lol. Cassettes were extremely dominant into the mid and even late 90's for certain stuff, despite discs. Remember getting hip hop singles on cassette in 1997? I do. I also remember the CD versions feeling off limits due to costs.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: March 26 2021 at 09:10
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

It depends on the size of the label and the band during what period. As someone said, most late 80's through 90's bands usually had cassette and disc only. There was no point and profit in printing Death HUMAN on vinyl, because that market isn't listening to death metal for the fidelity, I assure you. You can't hear sh*t in those mixes anyway, lol. Cassettes were extremely dominant into the mid and even late 90's for certain stuff, despite discs. Remember getting hip hop singles on cassette in 1997? I do. I also remember the CD versions feeling off limits due to costs.

That's funny....I always wonder who buys all the death metal stuff on LPs, many record stores I go to have a ton of death metal and the owners tell me they sell the krappt out of it. Your right, sonically it must be just ok but man those are some of the nicest packages around especially the colored/splatter records they make, and the artwork is very cool!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk