Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125051
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 20:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Steven Wilson sub-genre?
Posted By: Theprogelitist
Subject: Steven Wilson sub-genre?
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 04:17
Steven Wilson’s music is on PA categorized as Crossover Prog and I personally disagree with this categorization. I think his music is so diverse that I would call it eclectic prog. He mixes all types of tempos, time sigantures, atmospheres and even genres and no album is like the other (just compare Raven to Insurgentes to To The Bone). What do you think? If your choice is neither of the listed sub-genres, then please explain which sub-genre you think fits best. No right or wrong answers here, just different opinions :D

Replies:
Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 04:36
As with most of the more creative artists in popular music, each song can be categorized differently so we can't really expect one genre to cover everything they create, so it will always be a very broad brush. 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 05:05
I haven't heard much of his latest album but I'm guessing that it makes him more eclectic.

I don't really care where he is tbh, genres don't really matter that much but eclectic seems ok.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 07:22
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

As with most of the more creative artists in popular music, each song can be categorized differently so we can't really expect one genre to cover everything they create, so it will always be a very broad brush. 

This is true. Some bands/artists change so much over time it's folly to try to fit them into one category.

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 07:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I haven't heard much of his latest album but I'm guessing that it makes him more eclectic.

I don't really care where he is tbh, genres don't really matter that much but eclectic seems ok.
I agree.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 11:20
All of them, who cares.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 11:33
He has the first Prog Metal album, err or the first Rap album......Maybe its Disco, I forget, hard to categorize talent.

But yea, does not matter great music is great music......but I chose Crossover.

-------------

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 12:24
Three grab-bag sub-genres, especially the former two. So either would probably work. I have yet to dive into his discography so I'll abstain for now. But I will leave an analysis.

I find that both Eclectic and Crossover do have blended styles. The styles that appear most often in Eclectic works are Jazz, Contemporary Classical, and sometimes Baroque or hints of folk. The styles most apparent in Crossover works are usually whatever Pop or Rock genre that popular at the time, like Classic/Hard Rock, Alternative, Synth Pop, New Wave, etc. 

Based on what I've simply gleaned from peoples' impressions of his music here, I would say he could have easily been put in Eclectic when his first few albums came out, but Crossover was probably fine too. However, at this point, with his more recent releases, I think Crossover is probably most accurate. 

But again, this is not yet a fully educated analysis.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 12:43
Either crossover or eclectic would work....but as was pointed out he can be all over the place even on the same album.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 22:02
eclectic 

although if he continues in the direction of his past two albums crossover would be correct. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 22:58
I always get confused anyway between crossover and eclectic. The one genre he's getting closer to is pop.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 05 2021 at 23:48
I've always considered Wilson to be the shining example/poster boy for crossover.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 00:24
RPI in a near future, SW will sing in Italian 

Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 02:07
^If that happened then I would have seen it all

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 02:21
I thought Wilson’s next album would be an instrumental with him on sitar, and would be called The Brahman That Refused to Sing (and Shiva Stories). This will be considered a masterpiece of Indo-Prog / Raga Rock.

I vote Crossover and Crossover can be very eclectic (both categories were split from the art rock sub). I think he has enough pop and alternative rock to fit that category.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 02:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I thought Wilson’s next album would be an instrumental with him on sitar, and would be called The Brahman That Refused to Sing (and Shiva Stories). This will be considered a masterpiece of Indo-Prog / Raga Rock.

HAHAHA that made me laugh

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 02:59
Eclectic

don't think he's that tied down to one genre or other. Raven is actually symh prog mostly.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk