Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125074
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 19:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Let's Learn & Share Our English Language Levels
Posted By: Shadowyzard
Subject: Let's Learn & Share Our English Language Levels
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 06:22
This is definitely the best free online test I've ever seen, to assess one's English language level.

Exclamation Attention: There are listening parts included, so you have to use earphones or speakers while taking the test.

https://www.londonschool.com/online-english-level-test/" rel="nofollow - https://www.londonschool.com/online-english-level-test/

They divided the highest level (C2) into two, and my result is C2 - Advanced, which is the 8th level out of the 9. (See the image below.)

What is yours?

ZZZZZ

Replies:
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 09:08
Ah, on my second I got the highest. I took the test again, as I realized that I had answered one of the questions illogically. The second test brought mostly different questions, and I replied the ones I'd been asked on my first test with selecting the same options. I wasn't asked the question that I had answered inanely. :p

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 09:30
I used to be pretty advanced but now I got rusty.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 09:38
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I used to be pretty advanced but now I got rusty.

Oil up the engines and get ready to progress, then! TongueWink

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 10:36
Was is das Englisch?

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 10:38

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 10:48
Eh, they ask for my phone number. Hopefully they won't subscribe me to some magazine or spam me with advertisements...

Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 10:52
^ I took the risk. Even though their address ends with ".com" (.edu or .org would seem more trustable); I get the impression that it is a trustable site.

Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 11:37
"Only" £10 for an advanced test report. Seems like it's a private rather than a state-owned English school. They have to make money.

Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 11:41
^ Advanced test report? Come on, who needs that... I've tried many free online tests like this, and I can confidently say that this was the best one.

Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 11:53
I didn't buy one. They were going to send it to me by mail rather than just giving me a document to download. It's 10 pounds thrown out for nothing...

Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 12:24
^ I would only give that money for a full test, that includes writing and speaking sections as well. Oh and having at least 80-100 questions is a must for a virtually precise assessment.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 14:41
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Was is das Englisch?

Vat he said!

-------------

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: January 06 2021 at 22:06
The test had just enough subjective question to make it completely useless IMHO.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: triptych
Date Posted: January 07 2021 at 03:52
A wise old man once told me: "Don't wait for anyone to give you a pat on your back.....give it to YOURSELF". After many moons, I have to say he was damn right. I got straight "A+s " in English in high school and yes, I am very advanced in our beautiful lingo.......I mean, I'd necessarily have to be because I have been teaching ESOL English in the E.U. for the past 25 odd years !!!!!!Approve

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 15:56
I am a native speaker but would be willing to do the test anyway. but I'm not willing to give my phone number, which is required for doing the test

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:18
^ I'd say you're already C2 (Very Advanced) in English; as it is the standart level of the educated natives (of any language). C2 is endless though. Perhaps a person with a photographic memory can reach the maximum of the level C2. Though, s/he has to do lots of research for the earlier English usage. Even then, some things may not be found; and the furthest you could reach can come from the dusty pages of history. And I believe that some things just evaporated. It is said that William Shakespeare's vocabulary range in English was 69.000-70.000 words (and he only used less than 40.000 of them in his works). That's gotta be a big challenge!

I gave my phone number, as you can guess. Nothing unpleasant, or to put it better, nothing has happened as of yet that I'm aware of, because of it. 

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:26
I used a fake one Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:58
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ I'd say you're already C2 (Very Advanced) in English; as it is the standart level of the educated natives (of any language). C2 is endless though. Perhaps a person with a photographic memory can reach the maximum of the level C2. Though, s/he has to do lots of research for the earlier English usage. Even then, some things may not be found; and the furthest you could reach can come from the dusty pages of history. And I believe that some things just evaporated. It is said that William Shakespeare's vocabulary range in English was 69.000-70.000 words (and he only used less than 40.000 of them in his works). That's gotta be a big challenge!

I gave my phone number, as you can guess. Nothing unpleasant, or to put it better, nothing has happened as of yet that I'm aware of, because of it. 

it is so standard I can tell you it's "standard", not "standart" Wink. "Standart" would actually be German for "way of standing", though one would usually say "Art zu stehen" in German

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:03
LOL

^ Ah sure, my Turkish interfered. Standart is the Turkish of standard, also. BTW, my mind can sometimes be unpleasantly strange. I literally wrote "beuty" instead of "beauty" for a couple of years. I was a B2 then. Quite shameful, I'd say. Ouch

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:06
and since I read Shakespeare and a lot of literature from 18th and 19th century too I know a lot of ancient words

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:10
I also know more than some ancient and obsolete English words, but I cannot say "a lot" to that.

But I know lots of bizarre words, thanks to metal music! Cool

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:16
I just done crushed that Pabst Blue Ribbon can like a skeeter by the cement pond. Yeehaw!

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:51
did it bite you? Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 18:52
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

and since I read Shakespeare and a lot of literature from 18th and 19th century too I know a lot of ancient words
Like Bellbottoms?

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 20:46
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Like Bellbottoms?

like "cockalorum". a good word to describe Trump. it means "a little man who incorrectly has a very high opinion of himself"

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 23:55
I'm a certified Cambridge examiner involved in the CEFW and I can safely say that quite a few native speakers don't pass the Proficiency exam, let alone IELTS !!!
This goes to show that most native speakers use the language very well to communicate, but when it comes to explaining the grammar, they just flop.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 04:47
Being weird, I purposely answered all the questions wrong and got a result of A1. I guess that means the test is working appropriately.

I also like to give answers to survey questions that conflict earlier questions I've answered. I guess that's not being very helpful, but it makes me grin.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 04:51
Originally posted by triptych triptych wrote:

I'm a certified Cambridge examiner involved in the CEFW and I can safely say that quite a few native speakers don't pass the Proficiency exam, let alone IELTS !!!
This goes to show that most native speakers use the language very well to communicate, but when it comes to explaining the grammar, they just flop.

I agree. It seems the same for the natives of any language. There was an Azerbaijani woman that I met who was studying Turkology, and to my amazement, her Turkish seemed far better than mine technically and grammar wise. I inquired if she had been living in Turkey for a long time and/or if her parents are from Turkey, but no! 

I think this situation is related to "how" and "when" one learns a language. Non-native speakers are taught grammar for years since childhood or later, whilst natives begin to learn since babyhood. In the latter case, your brain sucks the language like a sponge, whether it is from a "clean" source or not. So, if your parents don't have a flawless command of the language, you're likely to end up with having a flawed command of the language; and it is not an easy thing to correct it, as the flaws also operate like the ingrained/embedded codes of your self-expression.

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 06:47
Funny but TRUE story..........this has been going viral on the Net for years !!!:)
Some years ago, a uni student had gone to a private language school to get some info on Greek lessons because she had to do a 2-year work/internship in Greece. She needed to speak, write and reason in perfect Greek. 
She started her lessons with a mother-tongue Greek teacher. The course lasted two years and by the end of the course, she spoke quite well, but not perfectly. This had to do since she couldn't waste more time and go to Greece. 
When in Greece, she went shopping, the cinema, discos, etc. and logically communicated in Greek. From the very beginning, everyone she spoke to started erupting in long hearty laughs!! The first couple of days, she thought it must have been her accent or perhaps the people listening to her were simply snobs. 
To make a long story short, the thing was that she had been given ancient Greek lessons !!!!! Everyone thought the student was crazy or something !!! hahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahaha :)

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 06:53
LOLThumbs Up

Date Posted: February 09 2021 at 06:15
a86bc790-d410-4e1c-b0db-eac2fe72aebf

Date Posted: February 09 2021 at 06:33
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

a86bc790-d410-4e1c-b0db-eac2fe72aebf

LOLLOLLOLThumbs Up

Date Posted: February 10 2021 at 17:49
13-1

Date Posted: February 11 2021 at 00:03

13-1

Absolutely.

Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 06:01

Posted By: Umeda
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 07:31
C1. Honestly, I expected less. Really enjoyed the test, thank you for sharing it with us.

-------------
Not for rent. To any God or government.

Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 07:52
try learning German. the articles and pronouns alone will drive you mad.

table of articles
                         male              female      neutral
nominative          der Mann       die Frau    das Kind
genitive              des Mannes    der Frau    des Kindes
dative                 dem Mann     der Frau    dem Kind
accusative           den  Mann     die Frau    das Kind

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 08:05

try learning German. the articles and pronouns alone will drive you mad.

table of articles
                         male              female      neutral
nominative          der Mann       die Frau    das Kind
genitive              des Mannes    der Frau    des Kindes
dative                 dem Mann     der Frau    dem Kind
accusative           den  Mann     die Frau    das Kind

I'm not much of a "the teacher sucked that's why I couldn't learn" type of guy, but my German teachers REALLY sucked. During middle and high school, our teacher ONLY did his lessons in the level of the geeks (who were the majority); and at university, I decided to choose German as the elective second foreign language course (as it was the only 3rd language that I had had some familiarity with); and our teacher was horrible at Turkish, I was horrible at German and that's why my 8 years of German education granted me almost nothing. If only I had chosen French at university, we learned that the teacher was excellent and was giving awesome marks at the same time. My German course grades definitely negatively affected my overall grade point average. Misfortunate...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk