Print Page | Close Window

genesis ( wind and wuthering )

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125136
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 08:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: genesis ( wind and wuthering )
Posted By: grantman
Subject: genesis ( wind and wuthering )
Date Posted: January 13 2021 at 16:33
The last genesis album with steve hackett is a more of a quite affair the opener ELEVENTH EARL OF MAR is a stunning song about medieval warfare.ONE FOR THE VINE
featuring a lovely keyboard arrangement by tony banks.YOUR OWN SPECIAL WAY is kinda song that shows the direction the band was starting to embark on mainsteam.The other song,s are o.k i guess but i really liked BLOOD ON THE ROOF TOPS and AFTERGLOW once again tony banks carries the day. i have seen the tribute band THE MUSICAL BOX perform some of these tracks live they do an amazing job
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read my review grant
Four out of five stars

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 13 2021 at 17:46
A very good album and one of the best in their catalog. Apparently Steve left the band mainly because he felt his material wasn't finding it's way onto their albums as much as he thought it should. Is it the end of their period? As far as full albums go it probably is but it's not like they didn't anything that could be considered prog after it. One of my top three Genesis albums.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 13 2021 at 20:30
Overall, a very good album. One for the Vine, Blood on the Rooftops, Afterglow, etc. Only "Your Own Special Way" drags on for a half hour too long.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 13 2021 at 20:47
Overall I prefer it to Trick.....One for the Vine and Blood on the Rooftops amd Mar are better than the long songs on Trick imho. Trick seemed dull except for Dance.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 00:32
An very good album. Almost on a par with Trick. It would have benefitted with the inclusion of another Hackett song, and missing off YOSW.

On 'side 2' Blood on the Rooftops through to Afterglow is pretty much perfect Genesis.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 02:11
Definitely spottier than Trick, and not only with that awful YOSW (which really last twice as long as it needs to), but TBH, Wot Gorilla is not strong and I'm not all that enamoured with Afterglow. And Mouse's Night is not nearly as stupendous a mini rock-opera  as RA&B

Their weaker album since Tresspass (incl), but it's still in their classic albums (I stopped at Duke)

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 16 2021 at 01:20
I find it a bit 'all over the place' and Collins drumming seems strangely 'stiff' to my ears. On the other hand Hackett has his last hurrah before moving on. 4 stars of messy prog from a band that is normally more focused. 

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 09:38
Love W&W. It has for me more " highs" than TOTT but also more " lows". I have edited my DAP to omit YOSW and replace it with inside and out which makes the album sound even better.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 09:46
A very good album that I felt could have been a little bit better. Perhaps YOSW brought it down too much for me.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 09:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A very good album that I felt could have been a little bit better. Perhaps YOSW brought it down too much for me.

it's true, YOSW breaks the flow of the album a little bit. 

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 10:04
Yes, absolutely.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Ruby900
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:11
Incredibly uneven album. One for the vine, Afterglow and Blood on the rooftops are wonderful - but some tripe on there too. Your own special way.......no thanks

-------------
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:22
I'd like it much more if the third song had been "Inside and Out", and "Your Own Special Way" had been a single release only.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk