Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125137
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 11:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Learning to love certain bands/albums
Posted By: Spacegod87
Subject: Learning to love certain bands/albums
Date Posted: January 13 2021 at 22:15
I have definitely softened my harsh opinions on Wobbler. I have warmed to them a lot in the past month or so.

Same for the albums: 'Obscured by clouds' and 'Meddle' by Pink Floyd.

I think it's important to go back and listen to songs/bands/albums you dislike, because (in my experience) sometimes after getting some distance from them, and after a few listens you can hear something you didn't hear last time and find a new appreciation for them.

What bands/albums have you softened your dislike on in the past year or so?

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Replies:
Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 01:15
Tangerine Dream's Zeit. Now it's in my top 10.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 01:18
For me, it was like right around Thanksgiving, all of a sudden RPI "clicked" and I can't get enough.

PFM
Le Orme
Maxophone
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
Locande Delle Fate
Semiramis
Murple

Etc.!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 01:31
I’ll have to think about this and get back to you a.s.a.p! The one I can honestly say that there albums do absolutely nothing for me, oh there’s two!

1. Gentle Giant
2. Bon Jovi (eeks sh****)

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 02:03
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

I’ll have to think about this and get back to you a.s.a.p! The one I can honestly say that there albums do absolutely nothing for me, oh there’s two!

1. Gentle Giant
2. Bon Jovi (eeks sh****)

I Second That Emotion, and I'm not a big fan of David Sylvian's  Japan either. Smile

Posted By: triptych
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 03:45

Weather Report and Renaissance albums :)

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 04:12
PF's A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Still not a favorite but easier for me to listen to now.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 04:16
VDGG and Zappa were probably the hardest for me to get into. It was worth persisting with them though. 

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 04:52
King Crimson, in 1970 I could take them or leave them (mostly leave them).  Now there isn't a week that goes by with out me playing at least something by them.

Wishbone Ash was another band like that for me.

Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 05:06
It's interesting reading all these replies.
I like all the ones you all mentioned (except Bon Jovi) but I can understand how difficult it might be getting into some of those bands/albums, for sure.

Thanks for the feedback! Smile

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 05:13
Originally posted by triptych triptych wrote:

Clap

I totally have a sealed Renaissance album on my shelf I've yet to get to! Can you guess which one?

-------------

Posted By: Homotopy
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:14
When I first listened to one of my all-time favs Riverside, I was not impressed. I guess this is because they are listed as prog metal here and so that is what I was going to hear. It was only half a year after that I realized that they are atmospheric prog and have to be perceived with the corresponding "sensors". 

But it the recent time it has only been Moon Safari (it just so happened), and even this was just "grew on me finally". Idk why would you dislike a band.

Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:23
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Clap

I totally have a sealed Renaissance album on my shelf I've yet to get to! Can you guess which one?
I'm guessing Time-Line. Smile

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:33
Yes - Talk & The Ladder.

I'm not sure I'd say I'm warming to them, I just don't despise them as much as I did.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:36
In my experience, sometimes you have to hate an artist before you can love them. Most of my all time favorite albums took me building up a stark familiarity with them to love.

I used to hate Gentle Giant and Opeth, now they make up two of my all time top 3 bands. Over time I find that I'm much more easy going with music, I tend to like most stuff I listen to and i'm always actively looking for something to like about it. I never liked the Flower Kings, but last years record Islands totally sold me on the band. My AOTY, I love that record dearly surprisingly.

On a whim I just decided to play the Geese and the Ghost by Anthony Phillips, always like which way the wind blows, but I'm relistening and I'm totally absorbed in the music right now. Gorgeous record, I think I last listened a year and a half ago, and since then I've really expanded my classical chops on the piano big time, so I think I've gained a much bigger appreciation for the style of music presented here.

Fishing for Fishies by King Gizzard too, always considered that to be one of the weaker, not bad, but weaker records. Been really getting down with it recently, groovy stuff!

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:41
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Yes - Talk & The Ladder.

I'm not sure I'd say I'm warming to them, I just don't despise them as much as I did.

Awww. How could you not love my two favourite Yes albums? Smile

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:42
Henry Cow and Captain Beefheart were always of interest but it took significant amount of time to get them, particularly Western Culture and Trout Mask Replica.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:52
I'm still trying for Prog Metal in general but so far, very few albums/bands have called my attention, and it hasn't last very much.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:58
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I'm still trying for Prog Metal in general but so far, very few albums/bands have called my attention, and it hasn't last very much.

depends on what you listened, progressive metal can be quite diverse. Smile

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 07:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Yes - Talk & The Ladder.

Hey, didn't YOU say there was nothing memorable about ELP's Trilogy?
C'mon man.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 07:17

Yes - Talk & The Ladder.

Hey, didn't YOU say there was nothing memorable about ELP's Trilogy?
C'mon man.
Fair comment. LOL

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 07:57
Gentle Giant took me a while to get in to. 
Even now I'm selective with a lot of their material but I have come to like them.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 08:12
My first exposure to GG and VDGG wasn't a memorable experience. After a couple of years it clicked with both of them and now they're two of my favorite bands. I think once you get through this hurdle, it also opens up even more bands that you weren't initially aware of. GG and VDGG eventually led me to Canterbury by way of Gong and Caravan and on a whim I ended up with Thinking Plague and then the whole avant universe awoke in me. It's all about the journey and opening up new experiences for us to grow.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 08:21

For me, it was like right around Thanksgiving, all of a sudden RPI "clicked" and I can't get enough.

PFM
Le Orme
Maxophone
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
Locande Delle Fate
Semiramis
Murple

Etc.!

Same thing happened to me about three years ago!!!

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 08:24
I hated Neal Morse and Spock's Beard for a long time. Thought they were cheap imitations of my 70s heroes. Boy was I wrong!!! Now Morse is probably my favorite Prog artist ever.

Also: I really never liked Dark Side Of The Moon. It's definitely grown on me (after 48 years...)

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 08:25
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I hated Neal Morse and Spock's Beard for a long time. Thought they were cheap imitations of my 70s heroes. Boy was I wrong!!! Now Morse is probably my favorite Prog artist ever.

Also: I really never liked Dark Side Of The Moon. It's definitely grown on me (after 48 years...)

I actually started to fall out of love for Neal Morse. LOL

Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 08:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Whereas I've never been in love with Neal Morse, or Mr Spock's beard. Smile

Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 08:55

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Whereas I've never been in love with Neal Morse, or Mr Spock's beard. Smile

Paul, are you following me around? LOLWhy the constant quoting? 

Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 15:57
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I never liked the Flower Kings, but last years record Islands totally sold me on the band.

I'm still not a fan of them, but I will definitely give them another listen. I have a list of bands I don't like that I will try to listen to again.

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I think once you get through this hurdle, it also opens up even more bands that you weren't initially aware of.

Yeah, I forgot to mention this. So many bands I've discovered have led me to an ocean of new bands to love. It can only do good imo.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 14 2021 at 19:21
With me, it's not so much a matter of coming back to an album years after I listened to them, but rather listen to them several times until they click (or don't click). Sometimes, some song that I thought unremarkable might end up being enjoyable when I listen to it a long time later, but not much more than that. Or, sometimes, I might check some album or music only on Youtube or some other online option and not be impressed by it (perhaps for being busy or not giving it enough listens), and then later on give it a proper listening and really like it.

Date Posted: January 15 2021 at 00:14

Clap

I'm guessing Time-Line. Smile

Scheherazade and Other Stories!!! Wink

-------------

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: January 25 2021 at 14:43
I used to hate everything by Jethro Tull that wasn't Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Heavy Horses or Crest of a Knave.  Now I find something to love in all of the albums.

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: January 25 2021 at 16:00
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

I have definitely softened my harsh opinions on Wobbler. I have warmed to them a lot in the past month or so.

Ditto on Wobbler.  Didn't dislike them, necessarily, but couldn't figure out what all the "hype" was about From Silence to Somewhere when it came out.   My last couple of listens, it sounded great!

VDGG was also one of my hardest to get into--now one of my faves.

And my biggest case of dislike-to-love was Gates of Delirium.   I loved most of Yes's other material when I first heard it, but I thought it sounded terrible.  Took about a decade for the piece to become my all-time favorite Prog Epic.

-------------
Z

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 26 2021 at 15:36
Generally its very rare for me to to a complete about turn. I can't abide King Crimson's album Discipline and struggle to get through even 4 tracks. Life is just way too short.

This year struggling with Haken's and Rick Wakeman's latest albums. They are great artists but really I'm just not getting 'it' and I've no idea as to why that will ever change.

I think you are allowed to just not like something and it not be a problem.

Posted By: Zeph
Date Posted: January 26 2021 at 23:04
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I used to hate everything by Jethro Tull that wasn't Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Heavy Horses or Crest of a Knave.  Now I find something to love in all of the albums.
"And the mouse please never sleeeeeeps"  has been going in my head lately.

RPI was difficult until last year's album by LogoS. That helped open the vault to RPI.
VDGG is still in progress, but it's coming along.
GG is not quite there yet.
Zappa I don't know about. Some albums are OK, but some parts of a lot of his albums just doesn't work for me.

It's a matter of listening every now and then, maybe try different albums or bands. And don't expect to love everything just because others like it.

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: January 27 2021 at 00:40
Didn't used to care for Jethro Tull. I think it was all the anti-religious lyrics on the back end of Aqualung. But I widened my lenses a bit, gave them a few more tries (heard Thick As A Brick a few times especially) and I stopped caring so much about the kind of narrow focused portrayal of religion there and just enjoyed the music and the poetry of the words. 

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: January 27 2021 at 00:47
Also Wish You Were Here I think is going to end up being an album I love but it's not there yet. I remember when I first heard it really loving it all the way through. Then years passed and I didn't really listen to it at all. Once I got back to it, I just found a lot of it kinda too quiet or too slow or too repetitive, and didn't really listen to it much still till a couple years ago. I finally decided I was tired of the gap in my PF 70s collection and nabbed it on sale on iTunes. Nowadays I really see things kinda both ways. It's definitely really slow, quiet, and/or repetitive in parts, and there are definitely those two songs in the middle that feel like they just don't go much of anywhere (though I've always loved the simple title track), but I also try to put myself in the mind of when I first heard it and how unusual and exciting I found it to be. I think eventually I'm going to come back around on it... maybe I'll even rank it above The Wall... but definitely not above Dark Side or Animals.

You know it's definitely better than The Final Cut though, lol.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: January 27 2021 at 01:28
After you "accept" Trout Mask Replica, all other music is like batting practice in comparison LOL Cool.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2021 at 01:30

After you "accept" Trout Mask Replica, all other music is like batting practice in comparison LOL Cool.

There are some weirder things than Trout Mask Replica out there, but not many that really get talked about much. Ever listened to Brainticket?

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 27 2021 at 02:37
I'm still trying with The Cardiacs, I feel this is a band that should appeal to me (and they were local to where I went to school) but they haven't really clicked yet. 

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: January 27 2021 at 04:56
My biggest learnings to love have been genre related, rather than particular bands or albums.

I learnt to love jazz through a school friend who I would go see play out of respect for our friendship, rather than because I enjoyed what was played. Indeed, I didn’t like it at all to begin with. I think I kind of forced myself to tolerate it, but even then didn’t really like it that much. But over the years, I kept coming back to jazz, and now it is probably one of my most favourite genres.

Similarly, I tended to ignore hip hop for many years, and though I liked the odd song, I didn’t really think much of it, and succumbed to the opinions of my peers who were completely dismissive of it, to the point where I didn’t listen to any of it at all, and disparaged it. I’m embarrassed now by that, but I know I was just trying to find peer acceptance in a world I always felt left out of. Ironically it took someone not anywhere near the hip hop world, David Bowie, to turn my views around, and let me learn to love hip hop, too. Rage Against the Machine no doubt helped, too.

I think I’ve said often enough about my aversion to extreme metal, and how repeated listens to Opeth allowed me to learn to love those sub-genres of metal. But Korn were the first band that really pushed my metal boundaries, as I never really listened to anything that heavy. Their first album was the heaviest thing I had ever listened to, and I still don’t know what possessed me to buy it, because I know I hated it at the time. I think I might have just wanted something I could play loud to annoy my parents. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I used to be the sort of person to say that I liked music but not particular genres. Now I will never suggest I don’t like a genre, because chances are there will always be something in any genre that I enjoy. The majority of country music does nothing for me, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t something in there that I don’t think it actually quite great. There is still more hip hop that doesn’t do much for me than that which I like, but so what? A lot of mainstream pop (throughout the years, and now - since what is pop/ular changes as much over the years) does nothing for me, but there are some artists who I think are great.

I think the biggest learning to love for me, has just been that there will always be something to love, and to learn to be more tolerant.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: January 27 2021 at 05:11
I've never had much of a soft spot for Soft Machine before, but I was surprised to find I really liked all of the following albums when I listened to them for the first time in December:-

4 stars !975: Bundles
4 stars 1976: Softs
4 stars 1976: Rubber Riff
4 stars 1978: Alive & Well: Recorded in Paris
4 stars 1981: Land of Cockayne

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: January 27 2021 at 05:38

I've never had much of a soft spot for Soft Machine before, but I was surprised to find I really liked all of the following albums when I listened to them for the first time in December:-

4 stars !975: Bundles
4 stars 1976: Softs
4 stars 1976: Rubber Riff
4 stars 1978: Alive & Well: Recorded in Paris
4 stars 1981: Land of Cockayne

Last year’s release of this great concert is well worth a listen. See what you think of it!
https://softmachine-moonjune.bandcamp.com/album/abracadabra-in-osaka-elton-dean-allan-holdsworth-hugh-hopper-john-marshall" rel="nofollow - https://softmachine-moonjune.bandcamp.com/album/abracadabra-in-osaka-elton-dean-allan-holdsworth-hugh-hopper-john-marshall

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk