Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125204
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 21:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog rock affinity
Posted By: triptych
Subject: Prog rock affinity
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:11

I was talking to some of my ESOL students about their tastes in music compared to their parents' tastes. As part of the ESOL lesson, I showed them this video and we haven't stopped talking about prog ever since. What are your affinities with parents and/or kids on this matter ??!

Replies:
Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:23
Hi,

Generations are very different and their tastes are dependent on the social environment.

When we came up in the late 60's and then 70's it was the time (in America) for the great run that FM radio had for 10/12 years before it was bought out by the corporate alligators. At that point, a lot of "new music" that eventually became known and appreciated as "progressive" ... all of which were the darlings of FM radio in America, kinda dropped into the bottom of the ocean and FM radio, SINCE, has been nothing but a bunch of sheepdip induced "classic" stuff that is for the most part on tape ... NOT EVEN LIVE ... AND ... worse today's audience doesn't care! It's in the background anyway!

Today, the "control" of radio, or the media is not as valuable as it was then, and the independence makes it difficult for a band to be better known than the others and probably get to a sales level that could rival any of those numbers in the past ... but I think that as the market "matures" that things will change and we will see something new, and probably big, although we probably will say ... it's proto this or that or neo this or that ... because we don't like to think that people can actually enjoy something new and totally different. It's "anti-social" you know?

My children and their friends, actually find that my large library of records and cd's are far out, even if they do not listen to some of that stuff ... and when they are bored with their stuff, guess where they come and ask? I don't tell them anything ... just look at the covers, and decide if you want to listen ... with one bit ... you have to sit there and listen for 20 minutes ... and it has helped their tastes ... many of them have become more attentive to new music, even if they always find "their own" version ... so it's not all "wasted".

I always use the idea that we don't sit here and think that our parents and their parents and anyone else thinks that they were stupid because they listened to Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Mozart ... and if all we see is that the parents are strange and weird and frustrated hippies that never bucked one of the girls ... really, my friends ... that's another story and has nothing to do with the music!

MUSIC ... just remember that!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Generations are very different and their tastes are dependent on the social environment.

When we came up in the late 60's and then 70's it was the time (in America) for the great run that FM radio had for 10/12 years before it was bought out by the corporate alligators. At that point, a lot of "new music" that eventually became known and appreciated as "progressive" ... all of which were the darlings of FM radio in America, kinda dropped into the bottom of the ocean and FM radio, SINCE, has been nothing but a bunch of sheepdip induced "classic" stuff that is for the most part on tape ... NOT EVEN LIVE ... AND ... worse today's audience doesn't care! It's in the background anyway!

Today, the "control" of radio, or the media is not as valuable as it was then, and the independence makes it difficult for a band to be better known than the others and probably get to a sales level that could rival any of those numbers in the past ... but I think that as the market "matures" that things will change and we will see something new, and probably big, although we probably will say ... it's proto this or that or neo this or that ... because we don't like to think that people can actually enjoy something new and totally different. It's "anti-social" you know?

My children and their friends, actually find that my large library of records and cd's are far out, even if they do not listen to some of that stuff ... and when they are bored with their stuff, guess where they come and ask? I don't tell them anything ... just look at the covers, and decide if you want to listen ... with one bit ... you have to sit there and listen for 20 minutes ... and it has helped their tastes ... many of them have become more attentive to new music, even if they always find "their own" version ... so it's not all "wasted".

I always use the idea that we don't sit here and think that our parents and their parents and anyone else thinks that they were stupid because they listened to Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Mozart ... and if all we see is that the parents are strange and weird and frustrated hippies that never bucked one of the girls ... really, my friends ... that's another story and has nothing to do with the music!

MUSIC ... just remember that!

Hi there. 
Well, when I was young(er) I blended in with both crowds...the ones who listened to music for reasons other than simply music and the ones who were music druggies.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:00
None whatsoever really, my parents were into classical and Perry Como, my sons are more into modern guitar bands that I've never heard of. My intro to prog came from my older sister who borrowed Nursery Cryme from a friend of hers, but strangely she's never been a prog fan.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:05
My two younger brothers have no affinity for Prog-Rock whatsoever. Shock horror! They've never even heard of King Crimson, although I'm sure they've both heard of Toyah Wilcox. Tongue

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:52
My mum liked easy listening and country music, and my dad liked some classical music and brass band stuff, but never really cared for music that much. Ocassionally there would be a pop song that caught his ear, but bearing in mind he was 41 when I was born in 1969, the 'swinging sixties' meant nothing to him. He'd also had a very conservative upbringing, so was actually horrified at some of my musical tastes as I went into my teens.

I was obsessed with music from a very young age, and slowly grew into prog out of a love of heavy metal in the early 80's. My introduction to prog was Rush and Floyd I guess, but there is no shared family love of my musical choices.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:40
My folks have been gone for more than 10 years now, but when I was in my twenties and renting the basement from them my dad heard me listening to ELP, a lot...ok almost non-stop, leave me alone.Big smile

He came to appreciate them and actually said he'd like to see them perform. Unfortunately that never happened.
My mom couldn't stand it, just like Star Trek TOS used to freak her out, " Why is his skin all blue?" in an almost hysterical voice, god bless her.

They both liked and came to a few shows of the band I used to mix, but it as a pub juke box type bar band for the most part. Some prog, mostly R'n'R.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:57
My Dad had introduced me to Pink Floyd at a young age. He played DSOTM and WYWH on a regular basis. He was also into the Moody Blues (This Is the Moody Blues was in regular rotation) and ELO (A New World Record, Olé ELO, and Out of the Blue were in regular rotation). He was also into Motown, Big Band, Neil Diamond, and Fats Domino. 

My Mom was also into ELO, but also was a big fan of the Carpenters and disco. When I was a little older and figured out how to use the turntable, I also found a bunch of Beatles records, Pink Floyd's Animals, Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti, and ELO's On the Third Day in their collection. I remember seeing some stuff from Helen Reddy, Steve Miller Band, Three Dog Night, Seals and Crofts, the Doobie Brothers, a bunch of records from the Oldies but Goodies compilation series, and a bunch of K-Tel compilations of 1970s hits.

My Uncle Eddie also was into prog. He loaned my Dad a copy of Yessongs on 8-track and I remember listening to this in the car. I think he was also a fan of 10cc and Jefferson Airplane. The three of them went to an ELO concert together for the Out of the Blue tour. My brother and I were too young to go to that. Uncle Eddie sadly passed away in 1979 in a car accident. My "coming of age" in music came not long after he died and I think we would have had a lot of similar interests in music.

We went as a family to a 1988 Pink Floyd concert together. My brother is also a big Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple and Scorpions fan and is more into prog metal than I am.

So it runs in the genes I guess. I'm the only one that gets into the quirky and avant stuff. They think that's just noise.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:07
My kids knew that I spent a good deal of my adult life working with straight up rock artists and that prog was an escape for me. You can't listen to some metal band doing 10 takes of some metal song or hard rock song and go home and listen to metal or hard rock music. It's like taking your work home with you. Even if they recorded something great. You just need a change. Lucky or not I never recorded too many prog groups.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:23
My parents had very conservative 50's style music tastes, I was born in '64 and I don't think I ever heard anything like the Beatles or Rolling Stones. It was all male voice choirs or old hollywood musicals. They couldn't stand anything I was into as a teen. I was stunned when I went round a friends house and her dad's record collection was full of Floyd, Yes, Zeppelin, Sabbath and the like.

My daughters have had differing involvements in my music tastes, the eldest is more into the mainstream classic rock stuff. Though she has been to see King Crimson, Magma & Porcupine Tree with me. The younger one is much more involved. She's into a lot of the stuff I listen to, she has been to Nearfest (her first festival), 2 ProgDays and a Rock In Opposition festival in France. These weren't me dragging her along to events, she'd been begging me to take her for a number of years. I flew her into Boston to see Magma. 

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:28
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

My kids knew that I spent a good deal of my adult life working with straight up rock artists and that prog was an escape for me. You can't listen to some metal band doing 10 takes of some metal song or hard rock song and go home and listen to metal or hard rock music. It's like taking your work home with you. Even if they recorded something great. You just need a change. Lucky or not I never recorded too many prog groups.
I'll second this. Anyone who's spent time in a studio or on the road with one act knows this all too well. Although I didn't have kids at the time.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:29
Most teens today listen only to Porcupine Tree and Radiohead.. that is their idea of alt prog......OMFG !!!

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 11:03
My father had some amazingly good music and actually got me into prog by playing Manfred Mann's Earthband Watch in the car once. I then discovered he had some Novalis, ELP, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and a few other really good albums. But at the time I became aware of these things he had already stopped listening to prog. Actually he had put in the Watch tape accidentally and didn't even remember who it was! I think he played Novalis and ELP once or twice while I was already consciously interested in music at the age of 14 or so, but that was that. He went into softer things and then classical. OK, to each one his own taste, but it really alienated me a bit from him that while I was discovering all this great stuff, he totally lost his interest.

Oh, and my mother, while not apparently having much of an active interest in music, took my brother and me to the cinema to watch Yellow Submarine even earlier, which was also a big thing for my musical taste. But as my father, while I became a total Beatles fan for a few years, and she supported that, herself she wouldn't listen to them much. I think she picked Yellow Submarine not because it meant that much to her, but rather because she somehow had the correct intuition that we may like it.

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 11:53
The closet to prog my mum and dad came was Abba, which is to say, not very prog. But, like SW, I can definitely identify the progressive nature of Abba’s pop music, and their enjoyment of Abba transferred down to me. I can’t say I listen to Abba these days, and I couldn’t tell you when I last did (it would be years ago), but for sure, I think that was part of my grounding in and entry to prog, even if it were not actually prog per se.

Apart from Abba, the only music I can remember my dad listening to is Simon & Garfunkel and Neil Diamond, who again I still appreciate to this day (though I have only Simon & Garfunkel in my own collection, and no Neil Diamond). My mum listened to classical music, but I couldn’t tell you exactly what. The music intrigued me, but bewildered me as much. I was too young, I think to be able to fully appreciate what she was listening to. The closest I came to appreciating classical music back then was my love for the soundtrack to Empire Strikes Back. That is, not much.

I honestly don’t think there was any one person that put me onto prog. A lot of it came from vaguely prog-related stuff like Bowie and Queen, who I loved from the radio, and whose albums I would buy when I was finally able to buy my own music. Pink Floyd and Genesis I came to from their radio hits, which were more often than not their less than proggy offerings. My first Pink Floyd album was Momentary Lapse and my first Genesis album was Invisible Touch, which gives you an idea of when I started buying music for myself.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 13:03
Thankfully my parents were not into the Beatles, so I blame them for me not listening to them growing up, and today Tongue
My mom has always been into pop music but she also understands who I listen to, mainly Rush and EW&F growing up. My dad was into latin music and classical music, the closest he came to pop music was for some reason he liked Donna Summers, especially album Bad Girls....strange.

As far as my kids they know who I listen to they have seen Rush at least 3x with wife and I. My oldest son was into Iron Maiden, he has seen them 2x and saw Haken, Leprous with me. My other 2 sons have seen Iron Maiden several times, it's not music they listen to regularly but they love going to the Maiden live shows, I mean who does not!! My youngest son saw Riverside with me couple yrs ago.........but for the most part they listen to rap, country and classic rock...middle son goes to country festivals all the time.

I'm glad they are varied in what they listen to.

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 13:42
My parents were into classical music and my dad despised rock music and looked down on most pop music. The only thing he would share his utter derision for more than the Beatles was Louis Mountbatten and pineapple on pizza.

Funnily enough, one of his best friends was a lyricist in soundtrack pop music and for a time after he left military intelligence my dad managed a music hall. We would often have small classical music concerts in the house when growing up, but playing rock music in the house would have been almost taboo (not that my brother cared and he exposed me to lots of stuff). So I got used to keeping my music to myself (or when at friends' houses I'd listen to what they listened to -- they got me into Zep, Cream, Yes, CCR etc.).

My children don't like my music, and I haven't tried to push it on them -- they haven't shown any interest. My son isn't really into music although he sometimes makes music for fun on his computer (he's a maths and sciences nerd). My other child listens to certain kinds of pop stuff used for making videos.

My Australian grandma, who I didn't know very well, loved ABBA, as does my wife. I like ABBA too.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 14:15
My Dad was into Jazz and big band music and secretly always wanted to be a drummer (his heros were Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa) but he was unimpressed by 'Pop' music (you call that lyrics?? its all 'Baby, baby, baby..') We did talk about Jazz later, before he died and my interests and explorations into jazz came out of those conversations.

My Mum liked fairly easy listening and light classics though did admit (later) that she did find 'some' of the music i played 'interesting'.. althouh she didnt play any instruments she came from a family who had various classical musicians amongst them and it turned out after her death that she had secretly been writing poetry and certainly was someone moved deeply by Art.

Both my kids play instruments and have been involved in music; not so much my daughter nowadays is too busy with children and other interests but my son plays in a number of bands, records, produces  and collaborates with other bands and musicians. His taste is very wide and although much of what i'm into, he isnt, there are certain lps and bands we do enjoy and he will listen to my recommendations and we have a good, open discussion about it. Its great! i'm lucky dad and it gives me a great buzz to sit and talk music with him.

We saw Rush as a family on the 'time machine' tour which was great fun and my daughter (in her mid 30's) used to come with me to festivals like Cropredy and was going to take a masters degree in english folk music at Newcastle (but didnt in the end..)

An honourable mention for my older brother who first brought home cassettes by Focus, Mike Oldfield, Camel, Yes and so really was the one who introduced me to progressive rock.

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 14:18
Both my parents were Country and Western fans. They tolerated rock music as long as it had lyrics and basic song structures, but once I started listening to Prog, Jazz, J/R Fusion, and Classical, my mom asked me why I was listening to that "long-haired music." So, no musical affinities between generations there.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 15:53
Haha!  The influence of my parents on my taste for Prog Rock??   ZIP.

My Dad grew up in the 50's, and still likes some 50's rock--particularly light pop tunes.

My Mom listens to almost nothing but Classical (occasionally some crooners, or Ukrainian folk that she used to dance to).  She did have some influence on me for Classical music, as she used to be a skilled pianist and played some of the more difficult Chopin (Polonaises, Mazurkas and such). Largely due to this influence, Chopin is still my favorite classical artist.

Needless to say, they mostly dislike my taste in Prog Rock, although they sometimes listen in to my prog radio programs (more out of courtesy and/or to hear my voice than anything).  Mom's already told me she can't stand most of the music, and Dad has made no comments at all.

(& I have no children).

-------------
Z

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 16:07
My mom and dad were into Türk Sanat Müziği (Turkish Art Music) mostly. My father is supremely talented in music and he even learned to play the violin without any help or education, together with several other string instruments like cumbush and oud. His voice is also awesome. I think I got my talent in music from him. My mum is just the opposite. Zero talent! Haha. (Though she is very good at drawing and painting, and my dad, like me, has no interest in those and probably no talent too.)

My older and only brother and I were sharing the same tastes in music for a long time, but he got into the Pink Floyd depression in his teens, and I chose the metal mania. So, I still can watch horror movies and my bro cannot. We are like day and night with my brother now. Though, he began to listen to metal again and is still listening. Yet, he likes folk metal and stuff, that I have almost zero interest in.

What was the question, prog rock affinity? Well, I can say I met Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd's earlier albums  thanks to my brother. (I bought The Division Bell myself, my first acquaintance with their albums. I loved and still love High hopes, but the rest of the album was boring for me.) Anyway, I loved prog rock in the 2000s via the internet. 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 16:22
My father (d. 2012) listened mostly to easy listening, sometimes a bit jazzy or modern classical. My mother has, even to this day, little affinity to music whatsoever. I have two brothers: one I have discarded, another listens mostly to folk and sometimes to prog, and the youngest as some affinity to prog, but less than me.

My daughter seems to prefer the Beatles.

-------------

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 16:38
My dad is a big fan of classic rock radio. That's the sort of stuff he grew up with. I know the first band he was into (like many boys in 1978) was Kiss. Later on though he learned a bit about prog since he was in a couple garage bands in the 80s and some of the other players were into Rush and Maiden and Queensryche and stuff like that, and of course listening to the radio long enough he knew about Yes and Pink Floyd and 80s Genesis. After he got done with garage bands I think he went in a more folk singer-songwriter direction with his listening. Lots of James Taylor, David Wilcox, Louden and Rufus Wainright, Jeff Buckley, etc. But he never totally stopped listening to classic rock.
 Mom was never as big into music as Dad, but she also had her own favorites that I've grown to love as well. Heart, Styx, Kansas, Pat Benetar, etc. A bit of Prince of course, and Madonna. And especially Chicago (the 70s hits mainly, and their Christmas CDs). I swear I've known Saturday In The Park longer than I've been alive.
Anyway I started getting into music around middle school. Uninterested in Katy Perry, Lady Antebellum, or Kanye West, I started playing saxophone in 6th grade as well as guitar hero. My private saxophone teacher taught me the blues scale early on (something my piano teacher never mentioned in all my years of lessons), and I quickly discovered I could use that scale to play the riffs to songs I was playing on guitar hero and hearing on classic rock radio.
Anyway a good while later I'm pretty much a classic rock purist (with a solid affection for jazz). Most anything after Nirvana was a non-starter, and anything pop, country, or hip hop was strictly uncool. Not the most open world view but it led me to explore in other directions as my musical appetite grew. As I transitioned into high school my Dad introduced me to Rush. I heard 2112 on Pandora and I was blown away. Later one day Dad came to pick me up from school with a CD of A Farewell To Kings that had just come in from Amazon and the was when I knew Rush was one of my favorite bands (only after Queen). Research led me to find Rush was something called progressive rock (as well as Queen to an extent), and more research over a longer period of time led me to become exponentially more interested in this everything and the kitchen sink sub genre. I quickly became more of a music nerd than my Dad, but I also got him to check out a lot more music than he had before. I even got my Mom to appreciate a bit of Dream Theatre! 

Oh, and I outgrew my aversion to hip hop, pop, and everything that came with grunge and after it. I admit defeat in having ever given country a really fair shot, though I know a few artists I think are decent, but I imagine in time I may find what I like there as well.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 17:23
My daughter, though certainly has her own taste in music, appreciates some of the prog music I listen to. She is into vocals a lot, specially broadway music and opera, but like many songs by Jethro Tull, Nektar, Deep Purple, etc.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 18:20
Humorously enough, my daughter is not too big into prog, some Floyd, a bit of Tull (she plays flute and bass), and that's about it. What we talk about and listen to together is Sinatra, Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane and Louis Armstrong. And her boyfriend is into blues, so I take out my Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Son House and Skip James albums and listen to those, as well as jam the blues (he plays guitar also). It's pretty hilarious these 20 somethings are listening to more of my dad's stuff than mine (the ol' man when he was alive could tell you in detail about albums from Gene Krupa, Glenn Miller, Satchmo, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, etc.). 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 18:50
I don't agree with all of their picks but I think some of them at least could be considered good for the entry level prog fan. None of the ones I know are bad though(just maybe not the best for someone brand new). Some I don't actually know.

Anyway, I don't have children so nothing to talk about there. My dad is only marginally responsible for my discovery of prog in that he had a copy of "the Yes album." I don't think he had anything else that could be considered prog in the strictest sense. He did have "birds of fire" also but that's really more fusion(even if that could be considered prog in the looser sense). I got more into prog through a cousin who was into Genesis but there were even other factors besides him (and my dad)for getting me into prog. I've tried to get my brother(who is older than me)into prog but other than liking some Yes and seeing them and King Crimson in concert with me it never really happened. It's like that expression about leading a horse to water but not being able to make him drink.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 19:04
No.  And in fact, I don't come from any kind of serious rock/pop background at all. We did have tapes of Beatles and ABBA at home.  And Santana's Supernatural.  Dad read a glowing review in the papers and bought it. At the time, it felt like a whole other world of music from our vantage point of Indian music. The track Yaleo from that album might be the first time I was exposed to the concept of extended instrumental sections with soloists (there is a piano solo before Santana takes over, sort of like jazz). 

I started getting into rock through a college friend's recommendations in my early twenties.  And by now, stuff like Wiki had happened.  So...I found out that Pink Floyd was called progressive rock. I clicked on the term to read the article about progressive rock and read about bands like Genesis, Yes, etc.  And then I found out about this website.  And one thing led to another...

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 20:17
Originally posted by triptych triptych wrote:

Most teens today listen only to Porcupine Tree and Radiohead.. that is their idea of alt prog......OMFG !!!

What's wrong with that? I wish teens in the gym would put Porcupine Tree. They will usually put Regaetton or Hip Hop.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 20:22
My mother was never all that much into music. Though she did like 70's and 80's pop music, which are some of the first things I got to like. It was my grandmother who had some prog LP's... she particularly liked Focus, specially Hamburger Concerto, and so I got to like that one when I borrowed it. She also had Harmonium, though I don't think she ever payed that much attention to that album... yet I got to love it too thanks to that. And then, she also had, Jetrho Tull's Live Bursting Out and Yes' Relayer (even though I didn't get that much into those ones at the time, it was later on that I looked for those ones too). She also had some other classic rock albums from the 60's and 70's that I borrowed and enjoyed. Among a lot of classical, which is which she really loves most (and I didn't check out anyway).

Posted By: Spacegod87
Date Posted: January 19 2021 at 20:44
I'm 33 and my father is about 70. He saw 'Yes' live in the 70s and I'm still jealous about it.

I was never a jealous person, even as a teenage girl, but when my dad told me he saw Yes live in the 70s, I was jealous of him. And when he said he was too high at the time to appreciate it and didn't really care about the songs they were playing (he was never a big fan) I got bitter and told him that the 70s was wasted on him lol!

Poor dad. Shouldn't have said that, but he laughed about it.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 01:28
it occurs to me, quite suddenly, that my uncle had more of an influence on me than my mum and dad. Maybe not necessarily in my choice of what I listened to, so much as in my love for music. My mum’s younger brother was the one who had travelled the world, and been to so many concerts and festivals, and worked at one of the two local AM radio stations. (Apart from the student radio station, we had no FM stations in my hometown when I was growing up.)

I remember voraciously reading all his old music mags, although I paid more attention to the familiar, than the unknown. I knew only Whiter Shade of Pale from Procul Harum, and Nights In White Satin from Moody Blues, but after reading about those songs, and then more, I got into those bands. He was fairly dismissive about the Beatles which is why, I expect, I didn’t listen to them until years later. He was probably responsible for my getting into Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath, too, which would have been the heaviest things in my collection.

He’s deaf now, which must be horrible for someone whose life revolved around music.... 😔

[EDIT] i forgot to mention what prompted me to write this, which was the mention of jealousy in the post above. My uncle had seen several bands I liked, but what I was (and remain) jealous about was his having seen Bowie twice. In the end, he saw Bowie three times, and I saw him once. So I guess I’m not as jealous now as i once was, but there’s still a tinge.....

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 02:04
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

What's wrong with that? I wish teens in the gym would put Porcupine Tree. They will usually put Regaetton or Hip Hop.

They could put on some Silent Temple , would be waaaaaay better than PT or RH, which are the poor man's version of "prog" !!!Wink

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 02:19

They could put on some Silent Temple , would be waaaaaay better than PT or RH !!!

I didn’t see the original post quoted here, but I complete agree with the reply - what’s wrong with that? If PT and Radiohead are the entry levels to prog for listeners today, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. They both stretch listeners beyond the mainstream, and introduce them to something less conventional and more experimental.

I’m not sure there is progressive reggaeton, but as I don’t want to upset my own personal belief that there are artists in every genre who push the boundaries of it, and if not recognised as prog, are still undoubtedly progressive. This definitely is happening in hip hop, which is why Steven Wilson made his (in)famous comment that the only real progressive music these days was occurring in hip hop. I don’t agree that it is the only real progressive music being made, but it is being made. Progressive hip hop is a thing, so I don’t even have a problem with hip hop being the entry point to prog - and if you think it can’t be, you are happily wrong!

I know two people in NZ (one a friend, and one a relation) who pretty much exclusively listened to hip hop and r&b. But since listening to some of the more progressive hip hop that is starting to enter (or at least sit on the fringes of) the mainstream, they themselves have progressed onto other music genres. One has headed towards jazz and fusion sounds, while the other has headed towards prog rock. Neither are people I would ever have expected to move outside their comfort zones, or ever listen to anything other than hip hop and r&b (and there would have been nothing wrong if that were the case, too).

The entry points to prog appreciation are wide and varied. It’s narrow-minded and condescending to imply some are less worthy than others, in my opinion. If you weren’t implying that, and it is merely my inference, I apologise in advance. 😄

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 02:21

They could put on some Silent Temple , would be waaaaaay better than PT or RH, which are the poor man's version of "prog" !!!Wink

I've never heard of Silent Temple. 
You complaining about people listening to great bands like Porcupine Tree and Radiohead is a bit ridiculous. Youngsters also listen to all sort of progressive metal (extreme prog, blackgaze, retro-prog and so on). To say there is much worse music out there is an understatement. 

Poor man's version of prog? OMG, I guess i'm poor  then. 

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 02:25
^This. Cristi nails it. Put me in the poorhouse, too.

And, for sure, prog metal (even if it is full of bands which take their Tool and DT influences to dangerously derivative levels) is hugely popular with a lot of younger people - and probably way more so than PT and Radiohead, at a guess. I guess if those who listen to PT and Radiohead are prog poor, those who listen to prog metal are prog bankrupt? 🤔

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 02:31
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

And, for sure, prog metal (even if it is full of bands which take their Tool and DT influences to dangerously derivative levels) is hugely popular with a lot of younger people - and probably way more so than PT and Radiohead, at a guess. I guess if those who listen to PT and Radiohead are prog poor, those who listen to prog metal are prog bankrupt? 🤔

Well, after many moons of listening to all types of rock, psych rock, prog rock, pure prog, I can safely say that PORCUPINE TREE and RADIOHEAD suck big time, alright ??? I'm NOT poor in music, if you are, that's your problem not mine....and I confirm the right to state my 2 cents here on any band I like, alright ???! If you don't like what I say, just don't participate...do me a favour !Big smileBig smile

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 02:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've never heard of Silent Temple. 
You complaining about people listening to great bands like Porcupine Tree and Radiohead is a bit ridiculous. Youngsters also listen to all sort of progressive metal (extreme prog, blackgaze, retro-prog and so on). To say there is much worse music out there is an understatement. 

Poor man's version of prog? OMG, I guess i'm poor  then. 

I cannot be but surprised.....unpleasantly surprised!!    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9359

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 02:42

Well, after many moons of listening to all types of rock, psych rock, prog rock, pure prog, I can safely say that PORCUPINE TREE and RADIOHEAD suck big time, alright ??? I'm NOT poor in music, if you are, that's your problem not mine....and I confirm the right to state my 2 cents here on any band I like, alright ???! If you don't like what I say, just don't participate...do me a favour !Big smileBig smile

so many things wrong with your post, I don't even know where to begin. Sometimes how you say things is just as important as what you say. 

You can say that "PORCUPINE TREE and RADIOHEAD suck big time", you got the right to say it, I got the right to disagree, right? Just because you don't like them, does not mean we should dismiss them as well. 

pure-prog? I don't know what this means... 

If I don't like what you  say, I just disagree. May I? If this upsets you, you might have a rough time on a discussion forum. 

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 02:53

so many things wrong with your post, I don't even know where to begin. Sometimes how you say things is just as important as what you say. 

You can say that "PORCUPINE TREE and RADIOHEAD suck big time", you got the right to say it, I got the right to disagree, right? Just because you don't like them, does not mean we should dismiss them as well. 

If I don't like what you  say, I just disagree. May I? If this upsets you, you might have a rough time on a discussion forum. 

If you've got relation problems, it's not my problem........no rough time for me......there are too many things wrong here with your post too, you know. I never said i was upset, but some of you here attacked me just because I said I think PT and RH suck, because they do......they are overrated snobbish bands, alright ?? Say what ??! ....ahh and I never said you should dismiss them.....don't put words in my post I never said....alright ??!

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 02:57

<<I've never heard of Silent Temple. >>

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9359WinkTongue

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:02

If you've got relation problems, it's not my problem........no rough time for me......there are too many things wrong here with your post too, you know. I never said i was upset, but some of you here attacked me just because I said I think PT and RH suck, because they do......they are overrated snobbish bands, alright ?? Say what ??! ....ahh and I never said you should dismiss them.....don't put words in my post I never said....alright ??!

How do I have "relation problems"? Confused
Who's attacking you? Or disagreeing and attacking is the same thing for you? Confused
What's a snobbish band? 

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:07

Who's attacking you? Or disagreeing and attacking is the same thing for you? Confused
What's a snobbish band? 

I do enough explaining as a teacher at school, thanks. A forum......and I am on many a forum......is a place where people DEBATE which includes agreeing & disagreeing, but sometimes (too many times), forums host people who like to form little elites among themselves where they feel safe and abuse this when they want to bring fwd their ideas....and this kind of elitism has no place on a decent forum like ProgArchives.

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:11

What's a snobbish band? 

I do enough explaining as a teacher at school, thanks. A forum......and I am on many a forum......is a place where people DEBATE which includes agreeing & disagreeing, but sometimes (too many times), forums host people who like to form little elites among themselves where they feel safe and abuse this when they want to bring fwd their ideas....and this kind of elitism has no place on a decent forum like ProgArchives.

you lost me there... 
So now I am an elitist that just wants a safe space and I abuse everyone that has a different opinion then me? Confused

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:15

What's a snobbish band? 

you lost me there... 
So now I am an elitist that just wants a safe space and I abuse everyone that has a different opinion then me? Confused

There you go, you see, you keep putting "YOU" at the centre of this discussion.......trying to put words in my posts I never said.....when I say elites and elitism, I'm referring to an impersonal form of expression directed to everyone who might want to read and take part in debating.

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:16
Debating is a form of art...just like music, art, poetry......and it's not for everyone.
[talking IMPERSONALLY mind you !!!!!!]

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:20

Debating is a form of art...just like music, art, poetry......and it's not for everyone.

is that an insult for me? 

how are you debating? You have not even defended your premise that "PT and Radiohead suck". Or what's your premise? Youngsters listen to awful music like PT and Radiohead and they don't know anything? ConfusedLOL

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:26

how are you debating? You have not even defended your premise that "PT and Radiohead suck". Or what's your premise? Youngsters listen to awful music like PT and Radiohead and they don't know anything? ConfusedLOL

Now you're not reading in my posts what you don't want to read.......you skipped "IMPERSONALLY" intentionally, remember ???! I never said youngsters listen to awful music like PT and RH, YOU said it and you're still trying to put words in my posts I never wrote :):)ClapClap
Oh and if you think I will eventually back down from a hearty discussion, you've got the wrong person :):)

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:27

What's a snobbish band? 

Oh and another thing, you don't reply to an idea or thought with another question in DEBATING.

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:27

Now you're not reading in my posts what you don't want to read.......you skipped "IMPERSONALLY" intentionally, remember ???! I never said youngsters listen to awful music like PT and RH, YOU said it and you're still trying to put words in my posts I never wrote :):)ClapClap
Oh and if you think I will eventually back down from a hearty discussion, you've got the wrong person :):)

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I just asked you what's the premise of your so called debate? 

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:28

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I just asked you what's the premise of your so called debate? 

Again, replying with questions.......Shocked

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:30

if you answered the question in the first place, I wouldn't have to ask again. LOL

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:32

if you answered the question in the first place, I wouldn't have to ask again. LOL
Beating around the bush IN AN IMPERSONAL sense gets "debaters" nowhere fast LOLLOL

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:38
[sarcasm] No wonder Kiwis make such fun of Aussies, if the above is an example of how their teachers think. 😳 [/sarcasm]

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:47

Beating around the bush IN AN IMPERSONAL sense gets "debaters" nowhere fast LOLLOL

how am I beating around the bush?
I asked you two questions and you answered neither and I am beating around the bush?
Unintentional humor is awesome! 

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:49

[sarcasm] No wonder Kiwis make such fun of Aussies, if the above is an example of how their teachers think. 😳 [/sarcasm]

No-one asked your BIASED RACIST opinion

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:55

how am I beating around the bush?
I asked you two questions and you answered neither and I am beating around the bush?
Unintentional humor is awesome! 

Again...and again.......replying with questions....naughty, naughty.....Clap

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:57

This is the ELITISM that I was talking about.....!TongueBig smileClap

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 03:58

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:03

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:18

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA.....good try....doesn't work with meClapClapClapClapLOLLOLLOL

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:39
Yesterday I was enjoying reading everyone's comments on what kinds of music their parents and family members listened to. Can we please get back to that?

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:46
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Yesterday I was enjoying reading everyone's comments on what kinds of music their parents and family members listened to. Can we please get back to that?

Exactly this^. If you want to have a scrap, PM each other please and let the rest of us debate in peace. 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:54
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Exactly this^. If you want to have a scrap, PM each other please and let the rest of us debate in peace. 

Clap

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:54

Absolutely. My two sons went in very different musical directions. One into 80s/90s hard rock and metal with Rush thrown in, the other into classical. My parents were into the left wing folk of the late 50s/early 60s, which rubbed off on me. Untill I heard Purple Haze by Hendrix.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:59

FINALLY.....TY...

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 05:03
Lots of my students including the girls are getting into prog and rock in general ...since the topic of prog was introduced with the video, the kids are asking me to speak about other, more obscure prog bands.

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 05:05

Absolutely. My two sons went in very different musical directions. One into 80s/90s hard rock and metal with Rush thrown in, the other into classical. My parents were into the left wing folk of the late 50s/early 60s, which rubbed off on me. Untill I heard Purple Haze by Hendrix.

Funnily enough, I think that was what (almost) everyone was saying. There is no right or wrong I music, and never can be. My musical tastes are completely different from my parents, my brothers, and my wife’s. For the moment, to use the wording of the OP, my children have an affinity for prog, because they’re still quite young, and haven’t necessarily made all their own choices yet.

I was reminded the other day, thanks to FB Memories, of a time when as hard as I tried, all my eldest daughter wanted to listen to was Procol Harum’s “Whisky Train”. She called music “parties”, and I was trying to play some different “parties” I thought she might like. She went to my cd rack, pushed it around with great effort (it is heavy for an adult to turn, so must have been a mammoth task for her), found “Home”, pulled it out and declared “I like this one, Daddy, don’t I?”

At that time, her second favourite song was Opeth’s “Ghost of Perdition”, and her third favourite was Katy Perry’s “Roar”.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 05:34

Here, here. I leave for work and come back hoping to read more stories...
Never experienced a slap fight on this site quite like that one though...lmao
Prog is great but it's nothing to blow your head off over..

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 05:40
Yes, but it's time to stop talking about it and get back to the topic.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 06:40

I was reminded the other day, thanks to FB Memories, of a time when as hard as I tried, all my eldest daughter wanted to listen to was Procol Harum’s “Whisky Train”. She called music “parties”, and I was trying to play some different “parties” I thought she might like. She went to my cd rack, pushed it around with great effort (it is heavy for an adult to turn, so must have been a mammoth task for her), found “Home”, pulled it out and declared “I like this one, Daddy, don’t I?”

At that time, her second favourite song was Opeth’s “Ghost of Perdition”, and her third favourite was Katy Perry’s “Roar”.

I went back to have a look, just how long ago this was. It was 13 January 2013, so Ruby would have been three, almost four. I asked her again now if she still liked Whisky Train. She said it’s alright but she got a bit bored of it. Opeth? Yes, she still likes them. Katy Perry? Not really, anymore. Little Mix (who she loved at one point, and went to see live)? They’re alright still, but not really. What does she think she likes most from my music now? Don’t know. Probably David Bowie. But she did add that she likes a lot of it, but doesn’t actually know what it is she’s listening to.

—-//—-

Tried to add some variety to tonight's parties, but after a song or two, Ruby asked if we could have different parties and went and brought Procol Harum's Home to me. "I like this one, don't I Daddy?"

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 06:55

Right on Thumbs Up

I gave my students an essay to do and this is what a 19-year old student wrote:

"Progressive rock implies a particular mindset in recording and performing music, an predisposition to test established limits and boundaries. Stylistically speaking, progressive rock is all over the map. Pioneering artists, unfettered by preconceived notions of the status quo, can be found within all musical categories.

Furthermore, the means by which an artist displays "progressive" leanings may vary according to the presence of one (or more) of the following features:

(1) complex, often lengthy, compositions

(2) virtuostic performances

(3) exotic and/or eclectic instrumentation

The Beatles' release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band, represented a watershed development in the development of the genre. In retrospect, examples of progressive rock can be identified as existing prior to that album's appearance in June 1967, ranging from Elvis Presley's early rockabilly experiments to the Byrds' folk rock classics recorded between 1965-1967. However, post-Sgt. Pepper works tended to exude a seriousness of purpose (i.e., the consideration of aesthetics over the commercial marketplace) hitherto relegated to the jazz and classical music sectors. The emergence of rock journalism, largely built around young intellectuals who had grown up listening to rock 'n' roll and other popular music genres, helped to spread the gospel of highbrow rock art. The youth subculture, then preoccupied with weighty social matters such as civil rights and the anti-Vietnam War movement, wholeheartedly bought into the concept.

The concept album represented a notable subgenre within the progressive rock movement. In view of the increased profit-making potential of the long-playing twelve-inch record (which generally included ten to fourteen songs and ranged in length from thirty to fifty minutes) over forty-five r.p.m. singles, record companies concentrated their promotional efforts toward establishing the l.p. as the primary mode of aesthetic expression within the rock scene. Accordingly, rock musicians began experimenting with ways of presenting a unified thematic message (both in the music and song lyrics) within the framework of a record album.

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 07:06

Right on Thumbs Up

I gave my students an essay to do and this is what a 19-year old student wrote:

"<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">Progressive rock implies a particular mindset in recording and performing music, an predisposition to test established limits and boundaries. Stylistically speaking, progressive rock is all over the map. Pioneering artists, unfettered by preconceived notions of the status quo, can be found within all musical categories.</span>
<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">Furthermore, the means by which an artist displays "progressive" leanings may vary according to the presence of one (or more) of the following features:

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">(1) complex, often lengthy, compositions

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">(2) virtuostic performances

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">(3) exotic and/or eclectic instrumentation

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">The Beatles' release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band, represented a watershed development in the development of the genre. In retrospect, examples of progressive rock can be identified as existing prior to that album's appearance in June 1967, ranging from Elvis Presley's early rockabilly experiments to the Byrds' folk rock classics recorded between 1965-1967. However, post-Sgt. Pepper works tended to exude a seriousness of purpose (i.e., the consideration of aesthetics over the commercial marketplace) hitherto relegated to the jazz and classical music sectors. The emergence of rock journalism, largely built around young intellectuals who had grown up listening to rock 'n' roll and other popular music genres, helped to spread the gospel of highbrow rock art. The youth subculture, then preoccupied with weighty social matters such as civil rights and the anti-Vietnam War movement, wholeheartedly bought into the concept.

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">The concept album represented a notable subgenre within the progressive rock movement. In view of the increased profit-making potential of the long-playing twelve-inch record (which generally included ten to fourteen songs and ranged in length from thirty to fifty minutes) over forty-five r.p.m. singles, record companies concentrated their promotional efforts toward establishing the l.p. as the primary mode of aesthetic expression within the rock scene. Accordingly, rock musicians began experimenting with ways of presenting a unified thematic message (both in the music and song lyrics) within the framework of a record album.

Fantastic! I just hope that he's a prog fan now.

-------------

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:07
My parents had no influence on my enjoyment of music. They both listened to classical music and songs from the great era of American Musicals from the '50s. I didn't dislike that sort of music, but they despised rock and pop music, even so far as mocking it, which did rub off as I only really started to like my owns styles as a teen. As a kid they dragged me off to the movies to see The Sound of Music - I still hate that film to this day. Oddly I now like some classical, particularly Russian composers who my father favoured and whilst I can't bear stage musicals I do like the older stuff (Carousel, Oklahoma etc.)

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:32
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

My parents had no influence on my enjoyment of music. They both listened to classical music and songs from the great era of American Musicals from the '50s. I didn't dislike that sort of music, but they despised rock and pop music, even so far as mocking it, which did rub off as I only really started to like my owns styles as a teen. As a kid they dragged me off to the movies to see The Sound of Music - I still hate that film to this day. Oddly I now like some classical, particularly Russian composers who my father favoured and whilst I can't bear stage musicals I do like the older stuff (Carousel, Oklahoma etc.)
My parents liked the old musicals too. Luckily, they never dragged me to The Sound Of Music, but did like Yellow Submarine.

-------------

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:53

Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

My parents liked the old musicals too. Luckily, they never dragged me to The Sound Of Music, but did like Yellow Submarine.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 20:35
I inherited my music junkiedom from my father. He’s always had a ton of records (and later, CDs; now he also buys hi-res digital files). Although his primary jam was and is jazz music, he’s always had a pretty healthy interest in rock too, and he tends more towards the proggier side of things. I have very early memories of hearing albums like Hot Rats and Caravanserai, and he and I both became pretty dedicated Camel fans in the late 70s, after the local Miami rock station (“Zeta 4” was its nickname, I recall) played their entire “Breathless” album (they always played a full album at noon on Saturdays, and my dad would have the tape deck ready). He and I still trade CDs back and forth, and take several trips a year to record stores together (in the pre-Covid days).

My daughter (15) was exposed to a lot of Beatles at a very young age (just like I and her mother was) so I think the rest should take care of itself. She has next to zero interest in most of the music I listen to, but at least her upbringing and living in our household all this time has impressed on her that music in general is good enough a pursuit to be taken seriously. She’s quite a connoisseur of musicals (something I don’t particularly care for). There are SO many musicals out now, you wouldn’t believe it. Nearly all of them are really quirky, ironic, absurd, or some combination of these things. I think I like the direction her generation’s underground humor is going.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 21:00

Luckily, they never dragged me to The Sound Of Music

Sound of music is a classic movie with great music. Sure, most of us have seen it a hundred times over in our lives, but most songs in that film are fantastic. Well written, timeless and memorable.

I get it might seem cheesy to most, but I still love it. Although West Side Story and Oklahoma are just as good imo.

-------------
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.

Date Posted: January 20 2021 at 23:48
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Sound of music is a classic movie with great music. Sure, most of us have seen it a hundred times over in our lives, but most songs in that film are fantastic. Well written, timeless and memorable.

I get it might seem cheesy to most, but I still love it. Although West Side Story and Oklahoma are just as good imo.

I agree...and I prefer West Side Story (probably because my fav actress Natalie Wood starred in it).
I remember buying the WSS s/t along with Kimono My House and Steppenwolf live as a kid; for me it was normal even though I knew WSS was quite AOR.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 01:08
My father saw Yes on the CTTE AND Relayer tours in Boston, as well as PF on Animals tour, etc. Cream, etc.

"Back then, we just called it rock and roll, and it was all awesome! Yes was something special though!" - My dad Cool

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 04:27
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

My father saw Yes on the CTTE AND Relayer tours in Boston, as well as PF on Animals tour, etc. Cream, etc.

"Back then, we just called it rock and roll, and it was all awesome! Yes was something special though!" - My dad Cool
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 05:33
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Being from NYC, I'm more of a WS Story fan, but I understand why people like TSoM and I'm not inocking it. It's the movie equivalent of listening to ABBA. I just love Dancing Queen.

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 06:29
^ Xanadu might seem cheesy to some people too, but it just happens to be my favourite musical, and even better, it's listed on ProgArchives too. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 07:10
Also, my dad still says The Who are far and away THE loudest band he's ever seen/heard live.

-------------

Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 07:16
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Xanadu might seem cheesy to some people too, but it just happens to be my favourite musical, and even better, it's listed on ProgArchives too. Thumbs Up

might? LOL

it's listed on PA because ELO is part of the soundtrack LOL

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:35

Also, my dad still says The Who are far and away THE loudest band he's ever seen/heard live.

Back in the day, they were. The only two bands I saw who came close to matching them were Rainbow and Motörhead.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:50
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Back in the day, they were. The only two bands I saw who came close to matching them were Rainbow and Motörhead.
I always knew there was a head banger under that prog exterior!

-------------

Posted By: IndigoStar
Date Posted: January 22 2021 at 09:07
I was brought up in a house where I was exposed to Led Zep, Genesis, Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield, Cream, Supertramp, Peter Gabriel. I was born in the early 70s and I still love music from that era - not specifically showing affinity to any one band (although Supertramp & Genesis are up there) but there's certainly a sound and feeling that I gravitate towards.

Date Posted: January 22 2021 at 23:12

Motorhead was legendarily loud, I'd argue louder than Rainbow in the 80's once they picked up after Ace of Spades.

Also, I THINK ManoWar held the record for single-loudest band/vocal/note etc. for quite some time?

-------------

Posted By: axeman
Date Posted: January 22 2021 at 23:33
Both of my parents liked Country and Western, and my mom's favorite became "Easy Listening". 

So, my musical tastes were almost in opposition. But, I remember playing Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime in my living room right after I bought it, and hearing my mom saying "That is very good music." 

So, who knows, right? 

-------------
-John

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 23 2021 at 04:17

When ELP played in Barcelona in '74, in a medium-size basketball stadium, during the sound check the sound broke most of the windows.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: January 23 2021 at 05:10

Motorhead was legendarily loud, I'd argue louder than Rainbow in the 80's once they picked up after Ace of Spades.

Also, I THINK ManoWar held the record for single-loudest band/vocal/note etc. for quite some time?

Ha! Reminds me of when i saw Motorhead on the Bomber tour! i was right up the front but got stuck near the PA.. i literally couldnt hear for three days after that- just white noise! UFO were pretty loud when i saw them too.. its amazing after a youth of loud music, an incident involving a home- made explosive and a (until relatively recently) a lifetime of riding large single and twin cylinder motorcycles that i can hear at all!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk