Print Page | Close Window

Pink Floyd: The Final Cut.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125328
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 03:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pink Floyd: The Final Cut.
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Pink Floyd: The Final Cut.
Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 13:11
What's the final word on the last album with Roger? I applaud the lyrics but musically, it leaves a lot to be desired. So, what's your final take on The Final Cut?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Replies:
Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 13:45
Worst album Floyd ever released, the only one I've ever gotten rid of. Should have been a Waters solo album.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 14:17
I prefer The Final Cut to both Ummagumma & Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and totally disagree with some hackneyed music journos who gave the album the unkindest cut of all - with the exception of Rolling Stone  who were One of the Few music journals to give The Final Cut a positive review:-  "essentially a Roger Waters solo album ... a superlative achievement on several levels". Thumbs Up

For the ultimate Final Cut experience though, you need to see the movie. Smile

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 14:18
It should have been a Waters solo effort. The band had long ceased to be anything resembling a collective.

I still think some of it stands up pretty well. There are some extremely emotional moments on there, especially Southampton Dock and Two Suns in the Sunset, and the narrative is pretty powerful.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 14:24
It has its moments, but it sounds too much like a repeat of The Wall, just with less interesting songs. Had it been released as a Roger Waters album, which essentially it was, I guess it would have had a better reception, but it is not a favourite of mine.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 15:32
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I agree that all Waters solo albums (including this one, if you wish) should've been released with all the videos or film accompanying it.

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

It has its moments, but it sounds too much like a repeat of The Wall just with less interesting songs. Had it been released as a Roger Waters album, which essentially it was, I guess it would have had a better reception, but it is not a favourite of mine.

Not at all, really! One might find topics linked, but musically The Wall is a Synth fest, whereas TFC is basically all piano & organ, which is a return to early 70's Floyd, though with a very different vibe.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 16:05
It's depressing.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 16:08
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

It's depressing.
Well, Roger was never a feel good type of lyricist.

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 02 2021 at 20:09
It should have been a Waters solo album.

It's a great album.  It happens to be my wife's favorite Pink Floyd album and it would make my top five.

I don't necessarily agree with the lyrics, but I understand and appreciate them and the place they came from.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 00:37
Very enjoyable and engaging, I consider this album unfairly underrated.

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 02:21
Like the album a lot. Don't really care about the provenance, just the music.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 06:29
Been a while since I spun the disc, but I remember really liking "Not Now John'.
I'll have to put it on this afternoon.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 06:31
^ A really wild song! I'm surprised that it doesn't get more love.

-------------

Posted By: haerskar
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 07:35
I thought that was the end of  it for Pink Floyd when that whatever you want to call it came out. Just Roger whining and droning on and on and on. Didn't even like The Wall but I liked the live Berlin Wall production with other musicians playing. I even have the DVD.

-------------
" First you learn the instrument, then you learn the music, then you forget all that sh*t and just play." Charlie Parker

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 09:16
I like it a lot -- certainly MUCH better than the next couple of really sh*tty albums that came out after.

Underrated like "Animals" and "Meddle"

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 09:31
I think David Gilmour said it succinctly: "F*ck all that we've got to get on with these."

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 11:13
It is in the middle of my PF studio albums list: a good album. But I agree with many here that it should have been released under Rog's own name since he seems to have trapped his fellow band members in a lockdown.

-------------

Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 12:06
Just finished the re-listening of this one and to be honest, there's a reason I remembered Not Now John, it's the only one worth remembering. It would have fit well in The Wall, but then it would have had to be a triple LP/CD and I don't think anyone wants that.
Now that I've heard the whole thing I don't regret for a moment getting rid of the LP.

-------------

Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 15:03
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Just finished the re-listening of this one and to be honest, there's a reason I remembered Not Now John, it's the only one worth remembering. It would have fit well in The Wall, but then it would have had to be a triple LP/CD and I don't think anyone wants that.
I thought that the Wall was a triple album. Must be somekind of subliminal sign.

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 15:05

Now that I've heard the whole thing I don't regret for a moment getting rid of the LP.

When it was released as a single in the UK, the lyrics were changed from “f**k all that” to “stuff all that”, this to protect the delicate sensibilities of the British yoof.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 15:09
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

When it was released as a single in the UK, the lyrics were changed from “f**k all that” to “stuff all that”, this to protect the delicate sensibilities of the British yoof.
I recall that the sanitised version even got some airplay on a couple of New York FM stations. For about a week.

-------------

Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 16:06
Maybe worthy of it's own discussion but the worse b@stardisation of a PF related product was the censored cover to Pros and Cons Of Hitch Hiking.

I mean...SERIOUSLY ?

-------------

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 17:02
I used to love it. Played during the first Gulf war. Now it's hard to sit through.
You can see a thread between Wish You Were Here and Animals as it's still the Pink Floyd band. The same band can be heard on The Wall.
But the thread between The Wall and The Final Cut isn't a thread. It's more rusted barbed wire.
Checking the connections and the band must have really been destroyed trying to get Pink Floyd The Wall Movie up and running.
Your Possible Pasts I like. Two Suns In The Sunset.
But if the band had seemingly ran out of ideas and couldn't collaborate as well.
Then... Well it came out as a Pink Floyd album. And that was that.

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 18:31
Still love it but find listening to the whole in one sitting to be a slog......it seems Side 2 never changes tone or key.  I still rate it above the Wall due to its high points, just wish Roger had written more than half an albums worth of material.......I swear I hear little bits of the Wall all over Cut.   

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 21:49
Not among my favourites from Floyd, by a long shot, but it's still got some really great songs. Among them, The Hero's Return is particularly frustrating, because it's so short... but I was able to download a single version of it, that includes, parts 1 AND 2 together, making the song long enough to be enjoyable... why it was left out of the album, and why was it not included when the album was reissued with When the Tigers Broke Free included (if only they had also included that whole song, I would have actually bought the album again).

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 03 2021 at 21:52
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I used to love it. Played during the first Gulf war. Now it's hard to sit through.
You can see a thread between Wish You Were Here and Animals as it's still the Pink Floyd band. The same band can be heard on The Wall.
But the thread between The Wall and The Final Cut isn't a thread. It's more rusted barbed wire.
Checking the connections and the band must have really been destroyed trying to get Pink Floyd The Wall Movie up and running.
Your Possible Pasts I like. Two Suns In The Sunset.
But if the band had seemingly ran out of ideas and couldn't collaborate as well.
Then... Well it came out as a Pink Floyd album. And that was that.

I don't think I wholly agree with you... I mean, yeah, there's not much of a similarity between TFC and WYWH or Animals, but I can hear the evolution from The Wal to it, and I can even imagine many of the songs fitting on The Wall, both musically and lyrically. However, I guess I understand your point of view, and I guess there's a very obvious explanation (well, at least two), and that's Richard Wright's absence (as well as the total control Waters took over this album).

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: February 04 2021 at 09:43
I feel Gilmour should have sang more. But that's impossible as he just wasn't into the material. "Call me when you need a guitar solo".
It just doesn't sound like a band album.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: February 04 2021 at 09:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I prefer The Final Cut to both Ummagumma & Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and totally disagree with some hackneyed music journos who gave the album the unkindest cut of all - with the exception of Rolling Stone  who were One of the Few music journals to give The Final Cut a positive review:-  "essentially a Roger Waters solo album ... a superlative achievement on several levels".Thumbs Up

You really don’t live up to your user name

Ummagumma is one of the coolest trip journeys ever

The final cut is ok but rather mediocre

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: February 04 2021 at 09:53
Hmmm. Maybe Unpsychedelic Paul would be better.

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: February 04 2021 at 11:12
Love Gilmour's playing on the album but his voice is missing - too much Roger, just like on the Wall.  It changed the sound of the Floyd - from Animals on, Roger's voice and words backed by a very familiar session band.....call me when you need a solo, indeed.  

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 19:16
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Worst album Floyd ever released, the only one I've ever gotten rid of. Should have been a Waters solo album.

this!!!!

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: February 13 2021 at 19:43
I haven't heard it or owned it in quite a while. I think it probably should have been a Roger Waters solo album. Over all it's not bad though and has some good moments. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk