Forum Description: Introduce yourself and tell us what prog music you listen to
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125602
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 14:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Olá!
Posted By: SolNiger
Subject: Olá!
Date Posted: February 25 2021 at 14:58
My name is Artur and I'm from that very special little westernmost corner of Europe called Portugal.
I'm 26 and have been visiting Progarchives regularly for the past 8 years at least - I used to be fairly regular on this forum towards the beginning, but I guess I lost interest in it for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm back now with a new account, hopefully for good.

My first serious exposure to prog happened on my first year of college at the age of 16, through a close friend who introduced me to Tool - and I got hooked instantly. I also discovered bands like Muse, Anathema, Sigur Rós and Dream Theater long before I started listening to any of the quintessential prog acts such as Yes or Genesis. Tastes grow and mature though, and I'm not that much of a Tool fan anymore, much less a Muse fan (although my love for Anathema has not dwindled to this day), my preferences now lying with 70s prog (especially symphonic, folk, and electronic), particularly that of a mellower and more pastoral, cosmic, or mystical nature, as well as with classic jazz fusion, atmospheric gothic rock and metal, and the folk and sacred music traditions from around the world. 

I find much truth in Inayat Khan's contention that "music is nothing less than the picture of the Beloved", and for that very reason I tend to appreciate music inasmuch as I can find in it an archetypal reflection of transcendent celestial beauty; a manifestation, to a greater or lesser extent, of the Source outside of Which all is vanity.

It would be wrong to think that music

Is noble only if it is of a sacred kind;

Lyrical music also has its value,

Whether dramatic or delicately intimate.

After all, there is a spiritual value too

In the wild violin playing of gypsy bands;

And I would praise many noble folk songs —

Beauty is Truth, and it comes from Above.

Divine wisdom, poetry, music,

And feminine beauty are profoundly linked.

Their essence is Truth and Love;

They are nourishment for the Spirit and joy for the soul.

Wisdom blossoms in a wondrous way;

Precious is poetry that points to the Truth;

Noble music is a journey to Heaven;

And beauty is a symbol that leads us to God.

- Frithjof Schuon

Replies:
Posted By: JD
Date Posted: February 25 2021 at 15:22
My Name is JD and I'm from ARTHUR.
What do you think about that?

Wonderful poem (although I'm not much into the religious aspects).

As my favourite band would say
"Welcome back my friend".

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 25 2021 at 16:59

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:21
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Hi, JD! Arthur, Ontario? It seems like a lovely little town! Forget about the big city, that's my kind of place to live (love the neo-Gothic church too) Embarrassed

Haha, thank you! ELP were actually the first ever symphonic prog band I got into. Probably not the best place to start your journey through classic prog, but it worked damn well for me. My teenage self was absolutely taken aback by the majesty, grandeur, and brilliance of their compositions.

Date Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:26
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Thank you so much for these wonderful verses! I'm a great lover of Shakespeare myself Handshake

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: February 26 2021 at 09:38
Originally posted by SolNiger SolNiger wrote:

Hi, JD! Arthur, Ontario? It seems like a lovely little town! Forget about the big city, that's my kind of place to live (love the neo-Gothic church too) Embarrassed

Haha, thank you! ELP were actually the first ever symphonic prog band I got into. Probably not the best place to start your journey through classic prog, but it worked damn well for me. My teenage self was absolutely taken aback by the majesty, grandeur, and brilliance of their compositions.
Yes it is and only a block away...but then again everything in a small town is. Wink.
ELP were one of, if not The Most influential bands I heard as a 13 yr old and they helped shape my love of prog as well as music in general.
[Quote]

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 26 2021 at 10:42
Originally posted by SolNiger SolNiger wrote:

My name is Artur and I'm from that very special little westernmost corner of Europe called Portugal.
I'm 26 and have been visiting Progarchives regularly for the past 8 years at least - I used to be fairly regular on this forum towards the beginning, but I guess I lost interest in it for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm back now with a new account, hopefully for good.

My first serious exposure to prog happened on my first year of college at the age of 16, through a close friend who introduced me to Tool - and I got hooked instantly. I also discovered bands like Muse, Anathema, Sigur Rós and Dream Theater long before I started listening to any of the quintessential prog acts such as Yes or Genesis. Tastes grow and mature though, and I'm not that much of a Tool fan anymore, much less a Muse fan (although my love for Anathema has not dwindled to this day), my preferences now lying with 70s prog (especially symphonic, folk, and electronic), particularly that of a mellower and more pastoral, cosmic, or mystical nature, as well as with classic jazz fusion, atmospheric gothic rock and metal, and the folk and sacred music traditions from around the world. 

I find much truth in Inayat Khan's contention that "music is nothing less than the picture of the Beloved", and for that very reason I tend to appreciate music inasmuch as I can find in it an archetypal reflection of transcendent celestial beauty; a manifestation, to a greater or lesser extent, of the Source outside of Which all is vanity.

It would be wrong to think that music

Is noble only if it is of a sacred kind;

Lyrical music also has its value,

Whether dramatic or delicately intimate.

After all, there is a spiritual value too

In the wild violin playing of gypsy bands;

And I would praise many noble folk songs —

Beauty is Truth, and it comes from Above.

Divine wisdom, poetry, music,

And feminine beauty are profoundly linked.

Their essence is Truth and Love;

They are nourishment for the Spirit and joy for the soul.

Wisdom blossoms in a wondrous way;

Precious is poetry that points to the Truth;

Noble music is a journey to Heaven;

And beauty is a symbol that leads us to God.

- Frithjof Schuon

Welcome (back) Artur! Portugal is a country wife and I want to visit. My father's family comes from Spain, we have been there already although need to go back. 
We were gonna go to Lisbon for Marillion Weekend but waited to long to buy tickets due to planning here, I had the flights all lined up and then we could not get any Marillion tickets, we were sad Cry.

I don't speak Portuguese but I can understand some of it enough to get by for sure.....I hope to make it there in the next couple yrs.

Cheers
José

-------------

Date Posted: February 26 2021 at 14:00
Thank you so much, José! We're all one big family really, the Portuguese and Spanish. Hope you do make it here soon, Portugal is truly a beautiful country, albeit so overlooked. But the most precious things are often overlooked Embarrassed

-------------
All is but God in God to God revealed;
and so all is, for naught but God is real.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk