Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125833
Printed Date: May 19 2024 at 20:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dylan or Shadows?
Posted By: Spaciousmind
Subject: Dylan or Shadows?
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 12:28
I know roots of Progressive Rock has been discussed to death here, so I am not going there.  But I do want to ask about two songs from 1962 and your opinions of these two songs and the impact they may have had to that generation of 1962 listeners and musicians, inviting them, almost challenging them to explore new directions for their music.

The first song is from Bob Dylan from his self titled album that came out in March 1962, singing House of the Rising Sun, an old blues song that dates back to the 1920 for blues and if you research it, may even go back as far as the 16th century as a folk ballad.

The second song of course completely different is from The Shadows and for that time period Rock N Roll, that was played live in the same month March 1962 called Little B.  Which still even for today's ears I think remains an amazing drum solo.  At that time the Shadows were considered by many as the best band in the world and this must have most likely knocked the socks off a live audience.  I tend to agree that the Shadows must have sounded as the World's best at that time when you add Hank Marvin and Company to this kind of drumming.

Anyway your thoughts about these two songs from almost 60 years ago, were these two songs big influencers to future drummers, musicians, singers, writers yes or no?

For the year 1962 or earlier what else would you add or consider as game changers?

Nick

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 12:39
I think they did influence some of the artists of the time, and added to the stream of influences that eventually gave birth to progessive rock. 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 12:49
For me there is nothing special about either track as far as influencing future prog folk rock ..and I prefer The Animals version of Rising Sun. And tbh I never even thought of that track as being 'folk rock'  when The Animals did it.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 13:04
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For me there is nothing special about either track as far as influencing future prog folk rock ..and I prefer The Animals version of Rising Sun. And tbh I never even thought of that track as being 'folk rock'  when The Animals did it.

No one invents change its a progression of ideas that form from visuals, words, smells and sounds that surround you, that touch and influence you.  My questions is more around what is the catalyst for change in music and I do think these two songs, invited change at that time.

As for the Animals version again not exactly original as a song but familiar to the world as a result of its predecessors.  They were obviously influenced, and possibly the Animals version may never have come about with out the Dylan version.

Nick

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 13:43
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

As for the Animals version again not exactly original as a song but familiar to the world as a result of its predecessors.  They were obviously influenced, and possibly the Animals version may never have come about with out the Dylan version.

Swings and roundabouts. The Animals’ version certainly wouldn’t have existed, or at the very least not in the form it took, without Dylan’s version. Their guitarist freely admitted he took the chords from Dylan’s version, so it was never any secret that Dylan’s version was a major influence for the Animals’ version. But, supposedly, it was then the Animals’ version which led Dylan to go electric. I don’t know how true that is, but I’ve heard it said often enough, and I haven’t heard of Dylan denying it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As for the Animals’ version being folk, it’s very often said to be the first folk rock song. Whether or not that is the case is somewhat irrelevant, so much as the point that as rock as it was compared with previous versions of the classic folk song, it was still considered folk.

For the record my favourite versions of the song are by the Animals and Nina Simone. So while I will happily acknowledge that without Dylan’s version, the Animals’ version might not have existed, I still find the Animals’ version far more enjoyable.

Incidentally, Nina Simone performed House of the Rising Sun on her “At The Village Gate” live album, which was released in....1962!

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 13:55
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Swings and roundabouts. The Animals’ version certainly wouldn’t have existed, or at the very least not in the form it took, without Dylan’s version. Their guitarist freely admitted he took the chords from Dylan’s version, so it was never any secret that Dylan’s version was a major influence for the Animals’ version. But, supposedly, it was then the Animals’ version which led Dylan to go electric. I don’t know how true that is, but I’ve heard it said often enough, and I haven’t heard of Dylan denying it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As for the Animals’ version being folk, it’s very often said to be the first folk rock song. Whether or not that is the case is somewhat irrelevant, so much as the point that as rock as it was compared with previous versions of the classic folk song, it was still considered folk.

For the record my favourite versions of the song are by the Animals and Nina Simone. So while I will happily acknowledge that without Dylan’s version, the Animals’ version might not have existed, I still find the Animals’ version far more enjoyable.

I also like the Animals version much more than the Dylan version.  In fact I like a couple of the 50s Blues/Folk versions better than the Dylan version :)  Generally speaking, I doubt that any of us would be here in a Prog forum if we did not like the Animals version more. Wink

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 14:01
Steve Howe has said and you can hear hes influenced by the Shadows, Hank Marvin and Cliff Richrds.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 14:07

I also like the Animals version much more than the Dylan version.  If fact I like a couple of the 50s Blues/Folk versions better than the Dylan version :)  Generally speaking, I doubt that any of us would be here in a Prog forum if we did not like the Animals version more. Wink

For sure! Leadbelly, for one, did a great version.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 14:21
Ooooops I almost forgot about another 1962 song from December of that year.  Telstar by the Tornados.  Could well be an influencer to the birth of symphonic prog / electronic prog.  I suspect they may have also been influenced by the Shadows :)

Nick

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 15:08

No one invents change its a progression of ideas that form from visuals, words, smells and sounds that surround you, that touch and influence you.  My questions is more around what is the catalyst for change in music and I do think these two songs, invited change at that time.

Nick

It is indeed a 'progression' of ideas but I really don't know how much either of these things influenced later music and or 'prog rock'. Certainly as pointed out the Animals borrowed from the Dylan version for their own and some consider their track folk rock and they might not have recorded it without hearing Dylan...again not sure how influential that track was in the future of things.
At any rate you said you were not interested in exploring the origins of prog folk yet you put your thread in the prog forum and not general music....  Stern Smile

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 15:13

It is indeed a 'progression' of ideas but I really don't know how much either of these things infljuenced later music and or 'prog rock'. Certainly as pointed out the Animals borrowed from the Dylan version for their own and some consider their track folk rock and they might not have recorded it without hearing Dylan...again not sure how influential that track was in the future of things.
At any rate you said you were not interested in exploring the origins of prog folk yet you put your thread in the prog forum and not general music....  Stern Smile

My bad, for placing it here.  If it disturbs and someone is able to move it, then by all means lets move the post to a differ area.

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 15:18
^ Not bothering me...I just was following up on the 'did either track influence the future of prog' idea...so I assume you must feel that if you placed it here.
Confused

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 15:24
Ah, these two have nothing on Woody Guthie's Dust Bowl Ballads from 1941 as it is the first concept album ever made. Now, Woody was progressive in more ways then one. Btw, he also has the first recorded version of House of the Rising Sun in 1944.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 15:34

^ Not bothering me...I just was following up on the 'did either track influence the future of prog' idea...so I assume you must feel that if you placed it here.
Confused

You are now starting to confuse me :)

If you read my first post:

"But I do want to ask about two songs from 1962 and your opinions of these two songs and the impact they may have had to that generation of 1962 listeners and musicians, inviting them, almost challenging them to explore new directions for their music."

It is an invitation to generally discuss what songs or even artists influenced others to change music through periods of time to get to the places where we are today.  Your assumption that my post is about Prog FOLK is incorrect as I would not have mentioned The Shadows or The Tornados if that were the case.

I am guessing you came to that conclusion because of my lengthy Steeleye Span post or the Dylan example?

So I agree with you if this topic fits better elsewhere then by all means lets have a moderator move it.

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 15:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Ah, these two have nothing on Woody Guthie's Dust Bowl Ballads from 1941 as it is the first concept album ever made. Now, Woody was progressive in more ways then one. Btw, he also has the first recorded version of House of the Rising Sun in 1944.

Now you are really going back in time Steve :)

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 15:43
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Steve Howe has said and you can hear hes influenced by the Shadows, Hank Marvin and Cliff Richrds.

Steve Hackett was a Shadows fan too. There are lots of their songs that sound more like early progressive rock than the one that was posted, although it is a good song in its own right. Steve Howe has a lot of Chet Atkins in his playing.

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 16:12
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Steve Hackett was a Shadows fan too. There are lots of their songs that sound more like early progressive rock than the one that was posted, although it is a good song in its own right. Steve Howe has a lot of Chet Atkins in his playing.
I was about to mention Hackett and the inpact of the Shadows in hes guitar style. One might argue that the idea for the tremollo riffage for the Musical Box is both the Shadows inspired but also Dick Dale inspired

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 16:33
The power of Dylan shall never be underestimated be it in the 60, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s as hes now this year turns 80 hes presence is sometiems quite subtle. He wrote a tune in 1997 which have influenced many contemporary songwriter to cover, rearange, challange themselvs as the same song writer (Dylan) did when Manfred Mann coverd and renditioned hes songs in the 60s and 70s. The song is "Make you Feel my Love" and is perhaps one of the most influetual and renditoned songs in the 00s, 10s and 20s, the song stil retains an age old 60s folk root. I reccomend to check out Marja Mortensons south sami rendition of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqVn00oShxc" rel="nofollow - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqVn00oShxc

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 17:28
The Shadows' influence was primarily in the UK (except perhaps for the Violent Femmes, who literally stole the entire "Little B" song for "Blister in the Sun"). Dylan, however, was not only influential in the States, but massive as well in Britain (directly influenced The Beatles, Donovan, David Bowie and Fairport Convention, for instance).

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 17:40
Mike Oldfield covered a shadows tune on QE2, so safe to say he was influenced by them.

I LOVE Telstar by the Tornadoes!  used primitive sound effects that worked in that context.  The organ is epic

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 18:02
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Shadows' influence was primarily in the UK (except perhaps for the Violent Femmes, who literally stole the entire "Little B" song for "Blister in the Sun"). Dylan, however, was not only influential in the States, but massive as well in Britain (directly influenced The Beatles, Donovan, David Bowie and Fairport Convention, for instance).
the Shadows was very influentual in Norway, most Nor guitarist in the 60s devrloped so called Shadowsband, it became a wierd phenomena that defined late 60s norwegian pop charts of popular bands, majority of those were quite voulentary labeld by the players themselvs Apache-bands.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 18:33
I guess its all about which part of the World you come from.  Since I was born in Germany and only about 4.1/2 before my parents moved to the UK when I was 8, its a certainty when either of the two songs came out that I would not have not known either song.   Yet my 10 year older brother played Cliff Richards and The Shadows and Elvis Pressley continuously.  So pretty sure in 1962 the Shadows who have been popular since the mid/late 50s were much better known than Dylan at least across the whole of Europe and the British Commonwealth which encompassed at that time around 1/3rd of the World Population, back in March of 1962 and over the following few years into the mid late 60s.

Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 20:00

I guess its all about which part of the World you come from.  Since I was born in Germany and only about 4.1/2 before my parents moved to the UK when I was 8, its a certainty when either of the two songs came out that I would not have not known either song.   Yet my 10 year older brother played Cliff Richards and The Shadows and Elvis Pressley continuously.  So pretty sure in 1962 the Shadows who have been popular since the mid/late 50s were much better known than Dylan at least across the whole of Europe and the British Commonwealth which encompassed at that time around 1/3rd of the World Population, back in March of 1962 and over the following few years into the mid late 60s.

Considering that Dylan didn't even release his first album until 1962, it still went to #13 in the UK. His second album The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan went to #1 in the UK in 1963 (and ten straight albums after his debut were in the top ten in the UK, six of those were #1). As a matter of fact, Bob Dylan has had more top ten albums and #1 albums in the UK than he had in the States.

The Shadows had #1 albums in the UK in 1961 and 1962, after which they started to tail off. By 1967, they had dropped out of of the top 20 in the UK. So in 1962, perhaps. Afterwards, not a chance in hell.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 23:22

This right here.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 23:43
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Steve Howe has also said he is heavily influenced by Bob Dylan. Who hasn't been influenced by Bob Dylan? The problem with Dylan is that he's not always the best executioner of his own work.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: March 21 2021 at 23:53

Considering that Dylan didn't even release his first album until 1962, it still went to #13 in the UK. His second album The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan went to #1 in the UK in 1963 (and ten straight albums after his debut were in the top ten in the UK, six of those were #1). As a matter of fact, Bob Dylan has had more top ten albums and #1 albums in the UK than he had in the States.

The Shadows had #1 albums in the UK in 1961 and 1962, after which they started to tail off. By 1967, they had dropped out of of the top 20 in the UK. So in 1962, perhaps. Afterwards, not a chance in hell.
Didn't The Shadows fall away so badly that when The Beatles went to audition at DECCA they were rejected by the label because the record producer at the time said that guitar music was dead?

Date Posted: March 22 2021 at 02:59
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Didn't The Shadows fall away so badly that when The Beatles went to audition at DECCA they were rejected by the label because the record producer at the time said that guitar music was dead?

I would not have started the post with Dylan and Shadows if I did not consider both instruments of change and of course The Beatles replaced The Shadows, that's life and to quote Dylan 'The Times They Are A‐Changin'  It just happened to be that that in 1962 you had The Shadows at the top of the world and a newcomer in Dylan starting his career.  And of course the Beatles changed everything again in 1963.

If you are talking about irrelevancy then you could also say that Prog became irrelevant after 1974.  But I would take offense to that because I enjoy it as much today as I did in the early70s.

Dylan however at least in the UK took a couple of years before he really became of interest to the masses it started in the summer of 1964 and therefore his influence to change in music started after the Shadows in the UK and most probably in Europe as well.  I don't know this for America and trust your opinions in that.

I mean its a simple tracking of facts to be able to see that.  Just take a look at the NME official album chart website for Top 20 albums week by week in the UK.

This is Dylan's first impact to the UK album charts:

No Bob Dylan albums as far as I can tell charted in the UK top 20 before the below:

THE FREE WHEELIN' BOB DYLAN
July 5th, 1964 - 20
July 13th, 1964 - 13
July 19th, 1964 - 17
July 26th, 1964 - Out of top 20
Aug 2, 1964 - 16 Reentered
Sept 7, 1964 - 20 Reentered
October 4, 1964 20 Reentered
October 11, 1964 20 Reentered
October 18, 1964 19
October 25, 1964 14
November 1, 1964 11
November 8, 1964 11
November 15, 1964 12
November 22, 1964 16
November 29, 1964 14

Another Side of Bob Dylan
November 15, 1964 14
November 22, 1964 12
November 29, 1964 12
December 5, 1964 20

The Times They Are A-Changing
November 15, 1964 20
November 22, 1964 15

Coincidentally here are the Animals in 1964 with their The Animals album that of course includes House of the Rising sun:
November 8, 1964 14
November 15, 1964 8
November 22, 1964 7
November 29, 1964 6
December 5, 1964 7
December 12, 1964 8
December 20, 1964 10
December 27, 1964 10

House of the Rising Sun by the Animals was voted Song of the Year in 1964 by NME.  So Dylan was a catalyst for the Animals and in return it seemed that The Animals with their version of House of the Rising Sun seemed to also help create a bigger interest in Dylan.  A kind of symbiotic relationship between the two in 1964.

After December 5th 1964 all the Dylan albums drop off and all three of the albums return in a big way around March of 1965 with Dylan then becoming dominant with his number 1's.

As for the Shadows they still peaked at #2 for a brief time in 1964 and remained in the top 10 for around a dozen weeks and in the top 20 albums for 23 weeks.  But of course the Beatles dominated with Please Please Me.

You have to appreciate the artists and the times they played in order to fully appreciate what happens afterwards.  If someone were to take the time and watch The Shadows Final Tour DVD they would also understand how good they were as a Band.  They were all strong top level musicians in their own right.

Nick

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 22 2021 at 03:36
It's fairly well known that The Shadows were a massive influence on aspiring guitarists of that time, including The Beatles. I suspect they sound pretty tame nowadays but I doubt that there's many guitarists that were around at the time who weren't influenced by them.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: March 22 2021 at 08:18
Eric Burdon's vocal on the Animals House of the Rising Sun (a song I've never really liked) is nevertheless, hugely impressive and occupies that same elliptic orbit traversed by John Fogerty, Chris Farlowe, John Hiatt, Steve Winwood, Van Morrison, Glenn Hughes and Gary Brooker i.e. white men who sing like black men. Dylan's version is pedestrian by comparison (on the cusp of jaywalking frankly) Not sure why Sir Harry Webb has been referenced on a Prog Rock music forum (apart from a little trolling mischiefWink) but the Dark Elf is correct that the Violent Femmes song 'Blister in the Sun' is based on the same riff as 'Little B'. Argent did reference Cliff in 'God gave Rock'n'Roll To You' but that might be deemed simpatico 'friendly fire'

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2021 at 08:52

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

I would not have started the post with Dylan and Shadows if I did not consider both instruments of change and of course The Beatles replaced The Shadows, that's life and to quote Dylan 'The Times They Are A‐Changin'  It just happened to be that that in 1962 you had The Shadows at the top of the world and a newcomer in Dylan starting his career.  And of course the Beatles changed everything again in 1963.

I am going off the numbers supplied by BPI and the Official Chart Company:

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28513/bob-dylan/

But of course, release dates in the States did not coincide with release dates in the UK (and vice versa, see The Beatles, for instance). Upon investigation, the sources I was using list Free Wheelin' as going to #1 the week of 5-23-64, so I will give a nod to your recollection.

Needless to say, it was the Freewheelin' With Bob Dylan that gave his Bobness international acclaim (again, not just in the UK like the Shadows):

The Beatles learned about Dylan while in France (which would have been January, 1964). When the Beatles were first given the album by a French DJ, they could listen to little else. “For three weeks in Paris, we didn’t stop playing it,” said John Lennon. “We all went potty about Dylan.”

Robert Plant suggested he would not have become a singer had he not heard "Masters of War": “His music referenced Woody Guthrie, Richard and Mimi Farina, Reverend Gary Davis, Dave Van Ronk and all these great American artists I knew nothing about. He was absorbing the details of America and bringing it out without any reservation at all, and ignited a social conscience that is spectacular.”

Jimmy Page wrote: "In May 1965 I experienced the genius of Bob at the Albert Hall. He accompanied himself on acoustic guitar and cascaded images and words from such songs as It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding) and She Belongs To Me to a mesmerised audience. It was life changing.⁣"

Pete Townshend recalls: “When I started to work on ‘My Generation’, I started to work on a Mose Allison/Bob Dylan hybrid of a talking folk song y’know. ‘People try to put us down’,” Townshend sings before adding, “That’s a bit Mose and a bit Dylan. You can take any song of his [Dylan] and find something in it that’s pertinent to today.”

So yes, you were right about Dylan's influence starting later than The Shadows, but I would suggest Dylan's socially-driven lyrics and compositional style rewrote the entire length and breadth of how rock/pop songs could be presented. And by 1964-65, it profoundly affected prominent Brit musicians just as much as bands in the States (The Byrds, Hendrix, etc.).

If you are talking about irrelevancy then you could also say that Prog became irrelevant after 1974.  But I would take offense to that because I enjoy it as much today as I did in the early70s.

I haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about.

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2021 at 09:26
Hendrix wasn't influenced by the Shadows and that's the benchmark. Dylan and the Blues? Oh yeah.

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: March 22 2021 at 09:44
Another artist that comes to mind for me is Dave Brubeck, particularly something like the first part of Blue Rondo a la Turk.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: March 22 2021 at 11:24
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Eric Burdon's vocal on the Animals House of the Rising Sun (a song I've never really liked) is nevertheless, hugely impressive and occupies that same elliptic orbit traversed by John Fogerty, Chris Farlowe, John Hiatt, Steve Winwood, Van Morrison, Glenn Hughes and Gary Brooker i.e. white men who sing like black men. Dylan's version is pedestrian by comparison (on the cusp of jaywalking frankly) Not sure why Sir Harry Webb has been referenced on a Prog Rock music forum (apart from a little trolling mischiefWink) but the Dark Elf is correct that the Violent Femmes song 'Blister in the Sun' is based on the same riff as 'Little B'. Argent did reference Cliff in 'God gave Rock'n'Roll To You' but that might be deemed simpatico 'friendly fire'

I think you may have missed one :)  Steve Marriott!

Nick

Date Posted: March 22 2021 at 11:30

So yes, you were right about Dylan's influence starting later than The Shadows, but I would suggest Dylan's socially-driven lyrics and compositional style rewrote the entire length and breadth of how rock/pop songs could be presented. And by 1964-65, it profoundly affected prominent Brit musicians just as much as bands in the States (The Byrds, Hendrix, etc.).

I don't disagree with you!

Date Posted: March 23 2021 at 05:57
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Another artist that comes to mind for me is Dave Brubeck, particularly something like the first part of Blue Rondo a la Turk.

I don't have anything from Dave Brubeck, perhaps you can recommend something.  I am just listening to Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane from 1962, I am quite enjoying it.

In truth, for the British scene the music that shaped what was to come happened before 1962 and it's all pretty much influenced by Jazz and Blues and I would suspect it's more as a result from accessibility from Music Clubs and venues as the vast majority of the people just did not have the money back then for any extravagant imported collections from the USA, unless it was the mass produced cheap imported Rock n Roll.  Which still would have been pricey and non essential for life.  It was still a major treat to get a fresh orange from a market store.

I think something that kind of makes me realize this is some interesting reading if you take a read on the history of the Marquee Club in London.

This is referencing 1959:

"In those days owning a blues vinyl was a privilege that not many teenagers could afford and would provide them with an automatic credit for becoming popular, picking up girls and even getting admited in a band. This small group of early blues fans who would visit the few record shops regularly in London that were importing this "rare stuff", such as HMV in New Oxford St and Dobell's in Charing Cross, included upcoming music talents such as Eric Clapton, John Mayall, Jimmy Page and Keith Richards."

http://themarqueeclub.net/history-the-oxford-st-days-1958-1964" rel="nofollow - http://themarqueeclub.net/history-the-oxford-st-days-1958-1964

Also if you go to the "Calendar of Gigs" section starting in 1963 you will quickly see who played there and what influenced them which primarily is Blues and Jazz artists from America combined with the local UK interpretations.  Sure the Shadows might have influenced guitarists and drummers etc or Dillan to add Folk Rock to the equation. Neither of these I would say inspired the above mentioned greats who in turn combined had a much greater impact to what eventually developed into psychedelia and progressive rock.

You really all should read this interesting website and all its pages.

http://themarqueeclub.net/index.php" rel="nofollow - http://themarqueeclub.net/index.php

More than any artist I would say that its clubs like the Marquee that shaped the 60s revolution of British music.

PS.. I guess what I am also saying is that the above mentioned plus the others listed at playing at the Marquee Club also inspired each other from what they are seeing on stage and from what they are hearing of each other when they played on the stage at these clubs, most often back to back in a night's performance.

Nick

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: March 23 2021 at 14:20
1962?

The Shadows had a lot of great stuff that year: Wonderful Land, Guitar Tango and Perfidia.

Other great stuff from the R&D department of proto-prog that year (part 1):

Date Posted: March 23 2021 at 15:44
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

1962?

The Shadows had a lot of great stuff that year: Wonderful Land, Guitar Tango and Perfidia.

Other great stuff from the R&D department of proto-prog that year (part 1):

Thanks for the links forgot about Booker T, the other two did not know and are appreciated by me.  Btw... if you want to go a year earlier then try Nivram from the Shadows.... nice and Jazzy or See you in my Drums.

Nick

Date Posted: March 23 2021 at 16:51

Sure the Shadows might have influenced guitarists and drummers etc or Dillan to add Folk Rock to the equation. Neither of these I would say inspired the above mentioned greats who in turn combined had a much greater impact to what eventually developed into psychedelia and progressive rock.

Well it seems I assumed wrongly when I wrote this earlier.  Will have to make a note to myself to research further before making future statements because I just read this at the bottom of The Shadows Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadows" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadows

The Shadows have been cited as a major influence on many guitarists, including Brian May, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Andy Summers, Ritchie Blackmore, David Gilmour, and Tony Iommi. A tribute album, Twang! A Tribute to Hank Marvin & the Shadows , in October 1996 featured Blackmore, Iommi, Peter Green, Randy Bachman, Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, Peter Frampton and others playing Shadows hits. The early set of Queen (who played their first gig on 27 June 1970 with Freddie Mercury, Roger Taylor and Brian May) included a cover of Cliff and the Shadows' "Please Don't Tease"

Well there you go, you can't have bigger names than this.  They don't exist in the Rock or Prog world.

Well if you read even further down at the Wiki page you will see that ALL of Yugoslav rock was founded around the Shadows, apparently even the Beatles were not as popular over there.

So the moral of the story is that we assume too much in our English speaking world about other countries likes and dislikes.  I certainly did in my earlier quote.

Nick

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: March 23 2021 at 18:55
Jan Akkerman of Focus is another guitarist who I think sounds like he has a bit of a Shadows influence when you listen to tracks like Focus II and Tommy. On a separate note I've always thought this was a pretty heavy sounding track for 1965:

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: March 24 2021 at 05:35
I would say that inbetween the lyricisme of Dylan and instrumental focus of the Shadows, one also got the vocal harmonies of the Everly Brothers, the freedom of jazz and the rule breaking mentality of contemporary classical music.

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2021 at 13:21

Thanks for the links forgot about Booker T,....

Nick

Easy to forget as they were years ahead of their time...

Btw... if you want to go a year earlier then try Nivram from the Shadows.... nice and Jazzy or See you in my Drums.

Nick

Exactly, love Nivram.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadows" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadows

The Shadows have been cited as a major influence on many guitarists, including Brian May, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Andy Summers, Ritchie Blackmore, David Gilmour, and Tony Iommi. A tribute album, Twang! A Tribute to Hank Marvin & the Shadows , in October 1996 featured Blackmore, Iommi, Peter Green, Randy Bachman, Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, Peter Frampton and others playing Shadows hits. The early set of Queen (who played their first gig on 27 June 1970 with Freddie Mercury, Roger Taylor and Brian May) included a cover of Cliff and the Shadows' "Please Don't Tease"

Nick

I would add Andy Latimer to the list.

Date Posted: March 24 2021 at 13:50
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Jan Akkerman of Focus is another guitarist who I think sounds like he has a bit of a Shadows influence when you listen to tracks like Focus II and Tommy. On a separate note I've always thought this was a pretty heavy sounding track for 1965:

Thanks for sharing it.  No question in my mind about that sounding like proto prog.

With The Shadows or as they were known before that, The Drifters you can hear proto as far back as 1959.  Try this one called Jet Black.

Well if it takes organ or keyboard to make it to proto prog, do I detect some organ here in 1959?

A couple of others from the Drifters worth checking out are Chinchilla and Driftin'

Nick

Date Posted: March 26 2021 at 11:59
The Beatles, 'Cry for a Shadow' - not an accidental title.

Date Posted: March 26 2021 at 12:03
This thread died when it was moved to it's proper location where only few will see it LOL

Nonetheless, it's remains interesting, IMO, so here's my part II of what they were cooking in Proto-Prog's R&D Department in 1962.

'Telstar' by The Tornados is epic as stated earlier but definitely also this:

Date Posted: March 26 2021 at 12:13
^ Nice. What's up Dan? Hope all's well! Smile

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2021 at 12:34

^ Nice. What's up Dan? Hope all's well! Smile

I'm alive and kickin' well, dear Steve Smile

Perhaps some of my early US pre-proto-prog can support your opinions in your 'Early UK vs US prog' thread. 

Surely, I'm supporting your view on the Zappa/Beefheart/RIO Avant Prog US direction... Wink 

Date Posted: March 26 2021 at 12:58
What I always liked about you, Steve, is your patience and persistence with ignorant PA members.....and your profound knowledge...and we never really disagreed....

Date Posted: March 26 2021 at 13:48

What I always liked about you, Steve, is your patience and persistence with ignorant PA members.....and your profound knowledge...and we never really disagreed....

Thanks Dan. But we must have disagreed about something. This is PA, after all. All the best mate.

-------------

Date Posted: March 27 2021 at 06:24

Thanks Dan. But we must have disagreed about something. This is PA, after all. All the best mate.

LOL

Date Posted: March 27 2021 at 13:09

Anyway your thoughts about these two songs from almost 60 years ago, were these two songs big influencers to future drummers, musicians, singers, writers yes or no?

For the year 1962 or earlier what else would you add or consider as game changers?

(Admittedly, this is an attempt to perform a first aid procedure for cardiac arrest to this thread....)

I don't recognize any of the two songs (Dylan 'House of the rising Sun and Shadows 'Little "B"') as game changers. Both artists were game changers, but Dylan not until 1963 and Shadows with other songs from 1962.

I have listed other '62 tracks above and will move back in time to '61 with clavioline (a game changer) and the whole game changing instrument lot:

Date Posted: March 27 2021 at 13:13

This thread died when it was moved to it's proper location where only few will see it LOL

Nonetheless, it's remains interesting, IMO, so here's my part II of what they were cooking in Proto-Prog's R&D Department in 1962.

That Alan Watts is a trip!

Ok staying with 1962.

This must be the version that inspired Led Zeppelin's Custard Pie foot stomping from Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee live at the Fret.

And some Jazz from Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane - Lyresto

Nick

Date Posted: March 27 2021 at 13:33

(Admittedly, this is an attempt to perform a first aid procedure for cardiac arrest to this thread....)

I don't recognize any of the two songs (Dylan 'House of the rising Sun and Shadows 'Little "B"') as game changers. Both artists were game changers, but Dylan not until 1963 and Shadows with other songs from 1962.

Don't get too hung up about the two song choices.  They were deliberate when i did my initial post.  Dylan was an easy choice with House of the Rising Sun as that would inevitably compare with The Animals besides him being acknowledged for his Folk contribution by almost everyone.

The Shadows a little tougher since many associate them with Cliff Richards and easier to pooh pooh away.  I chose the drum solo Little B simply because you can associate it to modern rock drummers.  No other reason as you rightly point out they have many other songs to choose from as participated by you and others :)

ps... remember that this post was also more about questions around older artists inspiring others to get to where it all ends up in the late 60s which is much easier to document.

Nick

Date Posted: March 27 2021 at 14:38

The Shadows a little tougher since many associate them with Cliff Richards and easier to pooh pooh away.  I chose the drum solo Little B simply because you can associate it to modern rock drummers.  No other reason as you rightly point out they have many other songs to choose from as participated by you and others :)

ps... remember that this post was also more about questions around older artists inspiring others to get to where it all ends up in the late 60s which is much easier to document.

Nick

As I pointed out in the appropriate poll, Chris Cutler started off in a Shadows cover band. He is a phenomenal prog drummer, but one has to assume he was at least somewhat influenced by the Shadows....

I love BJ Wilson’s drumming for Procol Harum, and he definitely stated his greatest influence was Tony Meehan.

It is a shame in a way, that the Shadows are so associated with Cliff Richard, as it potentially means people think less of them.

-------------

Date Posted: March 28 2021 at 04:34
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

As I pointed out in the appropriate poll, Chris Cutler started off in a Shadows cover band. He is a phenomenal prog drummer, but one has to assume he was at least somewhat influenced by the Shadows....

I love BJ Wilson’s drumming for Procol Harum, and he definitely stated his greatest influence was Tony Meehan.

It is a shame in a way, that the Shadows are so associated with Cliff Richard, as it potentially means people think less of them.

Have you ever watched Live at The Union Chapel it's one of my favorite DVDs.  But I see the archives rate In Concert With The Danish National Concert Orchestra And Choir higher.  I might have to get it to compare it.

Date Posted: April 01 2021 at 11:44

That Alan Watts is a trip!

Ok staying with 1962.

This must be the version that inspired Led Zeppelin's Custard Pie foot stomping from Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee live at the Fret.

And some Jazz from Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane - Lyresto

Nick

THANKS! Never heard of the Led Zeppelin 'Custard Pie' connection before but can definitely understand your assertion. Great!

And don't get me started on Coltrane...Tongue

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk