Print Page | Close Window

What Single Albums Should Have Been Doubles?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125927
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 16:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What Single Albums Should Have Been Doubles?
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: What Single Albums Should Have Been Doubles?
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:18
Just for fun as it's mostly speculation, wishful thinking or fantasy. I'm going with Sgt. Pepper's as the MMT songs like "Strawberry Fields" and "I Am The Walrus" would have knocked it out of the ball park.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Replies:
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:24
BOC's first three albums would have made a great triple disc.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:25
Do you mean two albums together or just one album but with more similar songs on it?

Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Do you mean two albums together or just one album but with more similar songs on it?
Whatever you like. I'm easy.

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:29
Babbacomb Lee by Fairport Convention. Thier only concept album needed a lot more songs to tell the story.

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:36
Afraid Of Sunlight by Marillion, expanded into a two disc concept album.

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:40
Duke by Genesis, expanded into the continued story of Duke.

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:52
Kid A + Amnesiac    Tongue

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 06:56
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Kid A + Amnesiac    Tongue

ah that's too easy, but a very good choice!   

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 07:02
ELP could have recorded a studio version of Pictures at an Exhibition and combined it with either Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 09:42
Genesis: Abacab could easily have been a 65-minute double album with at least 5 songs that were held back by the record company for B-sides and future releases.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 09:50
This is a prog site soooooo all of them..........('cept the Fab Four, those should be 45RPM singles only)

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 10:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This is a prog site soooooo all of them..........('cept the Fab Four, those should be 45RPM singles only)

I getting the impression that you don’t. Hold the Fab Four in high regard! But I could be wrong not...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 10:50
Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot could have been combined to make a double since they are very similiar imo and sound like they could have been recorded at the same time. 

Close to the Edge could have been a double album. Not sure what else. I guess you could say any great prog single album could have been a double. 

Also, some of the later Flower Kings albums could be considered doubles if you count the bonus disc. 

Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 10:56
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I getting the impression that you don’t. Hold the Fab Four in high regard! But I could be wrong not...
According to the latest edition of the Guinness Book Of World Records, Catcher10 is still the only person in the world who doesn't like the Beatles. Quite a record.

-------------

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 11:39
Wind & Wuthering + Spot The Pigeon, or Spot The Pigeon + And Then There Were 3 (with Steve still on board).

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 11:55
Jethro Tull's A Passion Play. In fact between the Chateau D'isaster Sessions material (The Big Top, Scenario, Audition, No Rehearsal, etc.) and the songs destined to end up on War Child (Skating Away, Solitaire, Sealion, Bungle In the Jungle), a double album could well be Tull's greatest release.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 13:37
I always have wished that Camel and/or Kansas tried the whole double album thing

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 13:56
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I always have wished that Camel and/or Kansas tried the whole double album thing

They both did but they were live albums.

Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 14:00
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I'll go with that, but concept albums as well. Especially Kansas.

-------------

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 14:07
Both 'Pawn Hearts' by VDGG and 'Baby James Harvest' by Barclay James Harvest were initially envisaged as double lps; Pawn Hearts having a 'Live in the Studio' record (or maybe just 1 side, i cant remember) of older material (i think some of that recorded material has turned up as extra material on CD reissues). BBH was originally intended to have one record entitled '4 winds' which would give space for each member to do their own thing (A'la Ummagumma, which frankly i blame for the whole idea of this sort of thingWink) but again finances and lack of time put paid to that; the only surviving piece being Woolly's 'Moonwater' which ended up filling the remaining space on the sadly lack-lustre Baby James Harvest.

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 31 2021 at 23:06
Pawn Hearts
Foxtrot
Relayer

Good thread!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 01 2021 at 10:50
Hi,

I have some reservations here ... not sure how I could take something and spread it out to make a bigger impact ... sort of like stretching that painting makes it better ... instead of the opposite that we like to talk about so much ... squeeze it so we don't see the carnage, so to speak ... or can't smell the pee in a few paintings by someone else. And I do not want any of RW's Curry ... thank you ... although it probably would make his music better and less pretentious!

The part that I am worried about, is the one where a guy just posted here recently and he had a very large project that appear scrumptious, and he cut it all down to size that many of us rock fans can handle and to my ears the piece comes off hurt and broken up ... but I did not think the guy could see it from a composition perspective, which I'm sure he felt no one would buy as it would be too big.

Sometimes I want "more" ... so you can see the transitions that a band goes through ... but when things are just a bunch of songs ... not for me ... ciao baby!

I can not, exactly, think of an album that I would like to see spread out some more ... I have never thought of music that way, and never have I thought of music as just something that has to be of a song length that has a chance to get some radio ... which of course no longer exists today in the 21st Century.

I'm more concerned with the artistry of the whole thing, which is the reason why "songs" are not that valuable for me since many of them are really the same thing or the same story, and have the same form and process as the previous one ... and I like the "short stories" by many when you sit down and read them, and they are all different and you remember parts from all of them ... an album of just songs with little story, loses it for me really quick.

Recently I had a chance to hear some stuff done by a SF band ... and it was over 15 minutes long ... and here is what I miss the most ... even at the Fillmore, it was the extended versions that excited so many people because it was getting far out and exciting ... and those never made it to the records ... and all of a sudden, I'm hearing something that belonged at the Fillmore, and it sounded outstanding ... but we never heard it! 

So yeah, some of the old "long cuts" and "extended versions" ... would be something I would want to hear more of ... but just spreading the "story", already as sparse and poor as it might be, I'm not sure is the right thing to do ... but this is something that each and everyone of the artists out there has to decide for themselves, and it is not for me to tell them that I want more or less of something. I never told Picasso, or Dali that I wanted less pink or blue paint! ... or less clocks and more breast! It kinda just gets a bit weird and out time, since the work was done a while back and the artist is already onto something else ... I think we're looking at an empty jar ... for something that is not only there ... except in our imaginations.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 01 2021 at 11:21
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

ELP could have recorded a studio version of Pictures at an Exhibition and combined it with either Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery.
Too much going on. Works 2 would be my choice to make up for some of the weaker moments.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: April 02 2021 at 00:51
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Both 'Pawn Hearts' by VDGG and 'Baby James Harvest' by Barclay James Harvest were initially envisaged as double lps; Pawn Hearts having a 'Live in the Studio' record (or maybe just 1 side, i cant remember) of older material (i think some of that recorded material has turned up as extra material on CD reissues). BBH was originally intended to have one record entitled '4 winds' which would give space for each member to do their own thing (A'la Ummagumma, which frankly i blame for the whole idea of this sort of thingWink) but again finances and lack of time put paid to that; the only surviving piece being Woolly's 'Moonwater' which ended up filling the remaining space on the sadly lack-lustre Baby James Harvest.

The second side of Pawn Hearts was also going to have an "Ummagumma" section in addition to the live-in-the-studio stuff. My CD version of it only has the band members' solo compositions as bonus tracks (along with Theme One, of course) and I think they sound pretty cool, pity they couldn't make it onto the "real" album.

-------------
https://mirasnelder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - Freelance composer, accepting commissions | https://mirasnelder.bandcamp.com/album/altered-acuity" rel="nofollow - New album!

Date Posted: April 02 2021 at 00:58
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Too much going on. Works 2 would be my choice to make up for some of the weaker moments.

I agree; that's a lot of ELP lol.

Anyone else feel like ITCoTCK and ITWoP are very, very similar and almost have a two-part feel? My band mates and I always joke it's nearly the same recording session.

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2021 at 06:43
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

The second side of Pawn Hearts was also going to have an "Ummagumma" section in addition to the live-in-the-studio stuff. My CD version of it only has the band members' solo compositions as bonus tracks (along with Theme One, of course) and I think they sound pretty cool, pity they couldn't make it onto the "real" album.

Thats right; thanks for that, i knew i didnt have 'all my ducks in row' as it were..SmileWink

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 03 2021 at 01:53
Brain Salad Surgery + Pictures At An Exhibition
BSS already had a few extra tracks recorded that were not used. I would extend Karn Evil 9 2nd Impression  to make one Single album and then chuck the rest on the second disc along with pinching the idea of studio version of Pictures (similar to the version that was given as a bonus track on In The Hot Seat but recorded in 1973)
It would then look something like 

Disc One
Karn Evil 9 Is Impression (as per the album)
Karn Evil 9 2nd Impression (extended to include piano improvisations)
Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression (as per the album)

Disc Two
Brain Salad Surgery (from the NME flexi disc)
Jerusalem (per the album)
Toccata (per the album)
Still You Turn Me On (per the album)
Benny The Bouncer (per the album)
When The Apple Blossom Blooms (from the NME flex disc)
Pictures At At Exhibition (studio version similar to the encore live versions from 1973-74)

Date Posted: April 03 2021 at 04:55
The Sensational Alex Harvey band 'Live' could have so, so easily been extended to a double.. He, and his band, were putting out one of the most exciting, varied and ballsy live shows around at that time and its always mystified me that it wasnt extended.. There may well be extra live material thats been added to CD re-issues.. 

-------------

Posted By: Grubert
Date Posted: April 05 2021 at 04:11
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

The second side of Pawn Hearts should feature one solo composition by each of the other 3 members and 3 live in the studio recordings of older songs, to show how much these had changed in their live incarnations.

Of the 3 solo tracks 2 are on the remastered Pawn Hearts, with the one by David Jackson called "Archimedes Agnostic" being still untraceable. The one by Jackson, which is on the album, is only a short throwaway piece named "Ponker's Theme", it is very unlikely that it would have made the double album.

Of the 3 live recordings 2 are lost and the 3rd one, a wonderful, amazing, fascinating version of Giant Squid and Octopus, can be find on the remastered H to HE.
The other 2 were Darkness and Killer, but at least the BBC versions from 1971 (both on the After the Flood set) are surely very representative of how they would have sounded.

So it is possible, with the one exception, to "reconstruct" most of this unreleased 2nd LP of the album.

Well, I'm glad that Pawn Hearts was released as a single album, but I wish they had made then an album of this live stuff, with further re-recordings of Afterwards and Aquarian. It would have been great to have these 4 songs from the debut album played by the new band, and The Aerosol Grey Machine was at this time not officially released in the UK.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: April 05 2021 at 16:24
"Carnival in Babylon" by Amon Düül 2. This was really originally planned as a double album, but the producer didn't want another one after "Yeti" and "Tanz der Lemminge", so it had to become a single one. "Hawknose Harlequin" was originally twenty-seven minutes long. Darn the producers!

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: April 06 2021 at 23:13
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Pawn Hearts
Foxtrot
Relayer

Good thread!

Bit off topic here but if Patrick Moraz had hung around a bit longer and recorded another album with Yes I think it would have blown the prog world apart and changed the entire history of the band.

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 00:20
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Pawn Hearts
Foxtrot
Relayer

Good thread!

Bit off topic here but if Patrick Moraz had hung around a bit longer and recorded another album with Yes I think it would have blown the prog world apart and changed the entire history of the band.

I agree completely, and we were having that exact discussion in the comments of Yes' facebook post on Moraz the other day. Lots of people agree with your sentiment! Moraz is my favorite keyboard player in Yes.

-------------

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 00:42
Soft Machine - Volumes 1 & 2 could have easily been a grandiose psych-pop double album

Posted By: Progishness
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 12:40

If they'd have included all of the parts of Mussorgsky's work, as well as their own 'pictures' as on the live album, that could have made a great double album.  Such a shame they didn't do a proper studio version, but as I understand it, it was a leftover project from Emerson's Nice days.  However the version of Pictures we do have remains one of my all time favourite albums - I always seem to find it uplifting to listen to.

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Posted By: PJMarten
Date Posted: April 12 2021 at 19:17
If you sent a Flower King Double Album back in time, it would be an eight sided quadruple album. LOL 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 01:32
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

If they'd have included all of the parts of Mussorgsky's work, as well as their own 'pictures' as on the live album, that could have made a great double album.  Such a shame they didn't do a proper studio version, but as I understand it, it was a leftover project from Emerson's Nice days.  However the version of Pictures we do have remains one of my all time favourite albums - I always seem to find it uplifting to listen to.

in the early days they needed something to make the live shows more 'meaty' so it was used really for that purpose. They had originally intended to bolt it onto Tarkus as a bonus release but they could have had a stellar single album with a clipped studio version as side two to the Tarkus album and got rid of the sub standard original side two That would have ruled but it wouldn't have been a double and Greg Lake would probably have hated it!!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 01:36
Rush's Farewell To Kings coul've been a doubkle album by adding the second part of Cygnus X-1 that is on Hemispheres, and add up with the rest of the H tracks on the D-side

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 02:41
I can't think of many examples. I'm not a huge fan of the double album, with a few exceptions, but I agree with Sean Trane about AFTK and Hemisphere's could have been quite a spectacular double package, so long as the whole work was produced as well as Hemispheres.

Although I'm not a massive Marillion fan, I think Script could have made an interesting double, had they included Market Square Heroes, 12 Boats.. and a reworking of Grendl, along with the other b sides from the singles from that album.

I can certainly think of a double album that would have been better condensed into a single.. Tales from Topographic Oceans..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 02:45
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I can certainly think of a double album that would have been better condensed into a single.. Tales from Topographic Oceans..

...Or just use turn the two vinyl discs into flowerpots.

Don't get me wrong, I love Yes, but on TFTO they somewhat lost the plot (in my opinion).

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 03:25
There are albums in succession of each other that feel like they could’ve been joined at the hip. Carmen’s Fandangos In Space and Dancing On A Cold Wind fx

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 04:49
If we're allowed live albums then I would say Genesis Live. I believe it was originally going to be a double with Supper's Ready included but they decided to make it a budget single album instead.

Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 04:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

There are albums in succession of each other that feel like they could’ve been joined at the hip. Carmen’s Fandangos In Space and Dancing On A Cold Wind fx

Or more contentiously, The Wall & Final Cut could have made an overblown triple album.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 05:03
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

If we're allowed live albums then I would say Genesis Live. I believe it was originally going to be a double with Supper's Ready included but they decided to make it a budget single album instead.

Good call, Alan.

That's a great live album, it just needs to be longer. With the inclusion of Suppers Ready, Fountain of Salmacis and maybe Stagnation or White Mountain, it would give Seconds Out a run for its money.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 05:08
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Or more contentiously, The Wall & Final Cut could have made an overblown triple album.

That would’ve been too much for me...but perhaps some of the tunes off of TFC via Floyd could’ve turned out alright. The storyline/lyrical content is the only real thing connecting these two albums per my ears.

Great call on Genesis Live btw

Another one for me would be Amon Düül ll’s Wolf City and Vive La Trance. Could’ve been a marvelous double.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 05:46
Some of the stuff on TFC (an album I love) had been discarded from The Wall so they could confine it to a double album, as I understand it.  But then again I love the Wall but it does suffer from being a bit same-ish and rambling in parts. [The excellent Empty Spaces was discarded in its entirety at the last minute, hence the lyrics being printed on the sleeve which had already gone to press, but was justifiably performed at the live shows.]

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 06:19
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Good call, Alan.

That's a great live album, it just needs to be longer. With the inclusion of Suppers Ready, Fountain of Salmacis and maybe Stagnation or White Mountain, it would give Seconds Out a run for its money.

Great call on Salmacis, I was thinking what other tracks would make up the second disc. Even as a single album, I'd take it over Seconds Out though.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: April 16 2021 at 07:07
"Twilight Alehouse" would fit well on "Genesis Live". And perhaps "Seven Stones". These two songs combined with "The Fountain of Salmacis" and "Supper's Ready would make an excellent second disc.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: April 19 2021 at 02:50
As a fact Genesis Live was planned as a double, and test pressings were released. It would have been rather short for a double LP with about 65 min, but well ... :

Record I:
Side 1

• Watcher Of The Skies
  • The Musical Box
Side 2
  • Get 'Em Out By Friday
Record II:
Side 1
  • ["Old Michael" story]
  • Supper's Ready
Side 2
  • The Return Of The Giant Hogweed [Manchester 24th February 1973]
  • The Knife
That was the complete show btw, and it is sad that the CD releases still do not feature Supper's Ready as bonus track.

Date Posted: April 19 2021 at 04:05
Originally posted by Grubert Grubert wrote:

As a fact Genesis Live was planned as a double, and test pressings were released. It would have been rather short for a double LP with about 65 min, but well ... :

Record I:
Side 1

• Watcher Of The Skies
  • The Musical Box
Side 2
  • Get 'Em Out By Friday
Record II:
Side 1
  • ["Old Michael" story]
  • Supper's Ready
Side 2
  • The Return Of The Giant Hogweed [Manchester 24th February 1973]
  • The Knife
That was the complete show btw, and it is sad that the CD releases still do not feature Supper's Ready as bonus track.
Interesting. Get 'Em Out by Friday is a bit short for a side.
There is a version of Supper's Ready on the Genesis box set with a long rambling story before the music, this might be the one.

Date Posted: April 19 2021 at 05:23
That's not exactly the same one, it is actually from half a year later, but I think it is a pretty similar one. I have both, but I don't remember if there are any important differences. The told story before the song is probably not the same, but then, one is as idiotic ( Wink ) as another.

Date Posted: April 19 2021 at 12:56
^ The tapes that made up 'Genesis Live' were originally recorded for the 'King Biscuit flower hour' broadcasts in the States.. Ive got an old vinyl bootleg called 'Live at the Carnegie Hall 1973' which is in fact bootlegged from those original tapes and includes Suppers Ready.. the quality is a bit rough but its ok; there are probably better quality bootlegs out there.. i'm not sure but i understand that the very few 'White label' double lp versions are actually vinyl transcriptions for radio broadcast rather than 'test pressings' for an official release.. I think Charisma aquired the rights to release after plans to broadcast the show in the States were ditched.

The track listing on my bootleg is:
Side 1
Watcher of the Skies
The Musical Box
Side 2
Get em out by friday
Suppers ready

I understand that a lot of original tapes for many of the KBFH shows were destroyed in a fire in the mid 1980s

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2021 at 14:12
I downloaded the complete set (as mentioned in my post above) a few years ago. Shouldn't be hard to find. I never compared it to my CD with the official release.
No complains about the sound quality.

The complicated story of the recording and the test pressings as found on an old Genesis website:

"The official LP "Live" was re-mixed from tapes originally recorded by King Biscuit. Charisma initially intended to release a double album, but instead cut the recording down to produce a single budget LP aiming to reach a wider audience. Nevertheless plans for the double album were sufficiently far advanced for Charisma to have commissioned test pressings from Philips in Holland entitled "Live at Leicester & Manchester" [Philips 6830.140/1, 13.Apr.73 - 2LP]; the numbers stamped into the vinyl are AA 6830 140 1Y 1 670 1 series. Each label was written out by hand so they all look slightly different. A few of these Philips testpressings were distributed by Phonogram Int. B.V and have survived but are very hard to find. They contain the additional track Supper's Ready, complete with Peter Gabriel's introductory story, and some of the other song introductions are a little longer than on "Live". Besides the vinyl test pressings there also exists a set of two acetates which must take the honour of "ultimate live Genesis rarity".

So well hidden were the surviving test pressings that they acquired lengendary status and many knowledgable fans doubted their existence. Luckily a good tape of one of the double LPs has been used to master "Some Of You Are Going To Die" [Alternative Recording Company ARC 004 - CD] giving more fans a chance to hear the album in its original form.

The test pressings themselves are not "radio shows": they were not manufactured for the purpose of radio broadcast; the opportunity to describe them here is due to independently mastered shows broadcast by King Biscuit and the BBC. Radio recordings of the show can be distinguished from the Philips LPs due to minor differences in sound production - King Biscuit's recording seems more "polished". On that basis I believe "Genuine Genesis Live" [GGL 2/73 - CD] to be derived from the King Biscuit broadcast. Also, the old bootleg "Carnegie Hall" [TAKRL 933 - LP] is undoubtedly the same material and was probably taped from a King Biscuit show. The Leicester gig will have been one of King Biscuit's very first recordings; it has not contributed to any of their more recent retrospective compilations and as far as I know the show has not survived on any medium distributed by King Biscuit.

Supper's Ready from this recording was aired by the BBC on the "Sounds of the 70s" show, hosted by Bob Harris and transmitted on Monday 23rd July 1973. The source was a "private tape" supplied, in all probability, by Charisma and as such is unlikely to have been retained in the BBC archives. A tape containing the BBC broadcast has long been circulating amongst tape traders, coupled with the "In Concert" broadcast (section https://www.genesis-movement.org/genesis-rshow-v09/genesis-rshow-v09.html#x-02mar72" rel="nofollow - 2 ) under the name "UK Tours 1971-1973".

None of the tapes or bootlegs derived from the King Biscuit broadcast include Hogweed, and according to the test pressing cue sheet this was the only track recorded at Manchester's Free Trade Hall (24th February 1973), therefore it is possible King Biscuit recorded the Leicester show and Charisma added Hogweed independently to complete the LP. All versions of this material sound heavily supplemented with studio overdubs."

Date Posted: April 19 2021 at 15:04

There is a version of Supper's Ready on the Genesis box set with a long rambling story before the music, this might be the one.

Uhh, but wait, isnt't that one of the songs for which Gabriel re-recorded his vocals in the late 90s? I think it is, and then it is of course different enough from the bootleg version.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 20 2021 at 09:01

Another one for me would be Amon Düül ll’s Wolf City and Vive La Trance. Could’ve been a marvelous double.

Hi,

I don't know ... however, after the song Apocalyptic Bore, all of a sudden you had a lot of "single" material, and the band kinda stopped its adventures into experimentation and the longer cuts ... the song AB kinda suggests that anyway ... as the long trip is over and everyone went to the "big bear" ... and everyone walked around like Frankensteins, a way of saying that the whole thing no longer made any sense at all. Stoned for stoned's sakes ... the 21st Century Way!

I like these separate, as they are meaningful differently, although I would agree that the first half of VLT is almost a copy of WC ... with one issue ... the LP I had (United Artists) bought in 1974, had the song Wolf City starting it all, and Surrounded by the Stars opened side 2 ... later releases switched the sides ... and I felt that the conceptual nature of the whole thing was hurt ... all of a sudden the song that was getting played the most (SBTS) is the first thing you hear, to try to get more attention to the band ... the band was not about "attention" ... it was about its music!

I'm not sure that I can think of an album that needed to be stretched out ... but there are a lot of things that make sense ... for example, Duncan Browne's two albums just about fit into a double and later releases were doubled up specially on CD ... which makes really good sense. 

I'm not a great fan of discussing PF anymore ... no one seems to notice the connection between  TW and TFC and realize that these may have been connected and were ... but in some ways TFC is the stuff that was not good enough (at the time) to be in TW ... is how I look at it ... and TFC should have been done as a RW album, not a PF album!!!!

My thoughts are that many TD albums should have been doubles, like the incredible LIVE performances where they showed how strong they were right from the start ... some of the later stuff AFTER Jerome, seems to be asking for more, more, more ... and after a listen to the album about Kafka, I wanted so much more ... it was special! The same for their "soundtrack" for The Sorcerer" which should have been released as a double just like TD's final concert series showed ... which I think is still not released, live or as a CD, me thinking that there is a problem with the "rights" of the film and such ... which is strange and weird ... a band helping make a film stand out better than it did on its own time, and no one cares to even bother to watch it these days!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: April 20 2021 at 10:24
I will go with Gnags - X (1983).

It was actually first supposed to be a double album called Fuldmånen (The full moon) where each side represented the four phases of the moon. They then decided to save half of the songs for their next album, and I always thought if was a shame.

For those who are unfamiliar with the album (most people here I guess), one of the songs, "Slingrer ned ad Vestergade", was my choice for the 80's Interactive Poll.

Posted By: Zeph
Date Posted: April 20 2021 at 22:50
I would argue none or very few. I've become a fan of shorter albums the past few years, maybe not unrelated to me diving into the 60's and 70's catalogue. Albums in the 40-50 minute range are great, while those spanning much over an hour feels too long. Few 90 minute albums has 90 minutes of great music and could have been cut down.

I'd rather have two good or samey 45 minute albums than a 90 minute double album, even if they musically would fit.

Posted By: Artik
Date Posted: April 24 2021 at 16:41
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Jethro Tull's A Passion Play. In fact between the Chateau D'isaster Sessions material (The Big Top, Scenario, Audition, No Rehearsal, etc.) and the songs destined to end up on War Child (Skating Away, Solitaire, Sealion, Bungle In the Jungle), a double album could well be Tull's greatest release.

I consider A Passion Play a mindblowing masterpiece as it is now, but would love to hear even more developed story with a bit more attention (more music and lyrics) for every location as some are rather sketchy (e.g. hell). 

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: April 24 2021 at 17:25
 Portnoy and Pardo have some opinions on this topic, at least for live albums...

-------------
Z

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: April 25 2021 at 11:05
The first thing that popped into my head is the Red-Blue-Yellow Crimo albums.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: April 25 2021 at 16:10
..and studio albums too:

-------------
Z

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk