Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125984
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 20:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prog Archives Facebook
Posted By: ssmarcus
Subject: Prog Archives Facebook
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 03:45
What the heck happened to the prog archives facebook page? Why did it stop updating? 

Replies:
Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 03:56
One of the admins might have a better idea, but I think it is simply because th3 owner of the site either has more important things to do, or has rather lost interest.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: DamoXt7942
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 03:59
pa has left fb because plenty of data has been leaked via fb, just my tuppence. Tongue

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/damoxt7942" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:01
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

pa has left fb because plenty of data has been leaked via fb, just my tuppence. Tongue

Well, if leaking of data was the primary concern, then absolutely nobody would be on the thing. I believe that the whole world has simply learned to live with data leaks, which are about the only commonality across the entire WWW.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 04:20
Never saw the point of it myself.

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:13

I don't know what tuppence is but I can't think of anything worse than having my progressive metal reviews leaked onto the dark web. How could I ever recover from the reputation damage Ermm

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:15
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Facebook and Instagram are where people get updates about the things they follow. It was much easier or desirable for me to click on a review coming across my news feed. Plus, it even got people to comment on a reviews and have a conversation! What a novelty! 

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 06:41
Originally posted by ssmarcus ssmarcus wrote:

I don't know what tuppence is but I can't think of anything worse than having my progressive metal reviews leaked onto the dark web. How could I ever recover from the reputation damage Ermm

Tuppence is an old British coin, two pence, shortened to tuppence. Damo San is referring to a rather old phrase in English, “just my tuppence worth”, or providing people with your opinion which is deemed to be only worth tuppence, i.e. not of any great value.

-------------

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 07:31

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Facebook and Instagram are where people get updates about the things they follow. It was much easier or desirable for me to click on a review coming across my news feed. Plus, it even got people to comment on a reviews and have a conversation! What a novelty! 

Agreed. I quite liked the PA Facebook page. It definitely had me visit the site a couple of times when I perhaps wouldn't have otherwise. And the odd conversation when it happened was nice, too.

I know FB is anathema to a lot of people who frequent these forums, but there are also a lot of people out there who use it. I would definitely join a PA group on FB if one ever existed, as that would be even more useful and engaging than a FB page. Unlikely to happen, I guess, but who knows.....?

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 10:18
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I know FB is anathema to a lot of people who frequent these forums,

Yea, but for the rest of humanity, forums are anathema period. I get we suffer through it here because beggars can't be choosers. But why did the existing facebook functionality have to suffer? 

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 10:27

Yea, but for the rest of humanity, forums are anathema period. I get we suffer through it here because beggars can't be choosers. But why did the existing facebook functionality have to suffer? 

I used to be a member of many forums, and a moderator of a couple, They are definitely a relic from the past, so it’s kind of appropriate the PA forums linger on. The PA forums is not only the only one I am still a member of, but it’s the only forum I know that still exists. Every other forum I have ever been part of no longer exists. I have no doubt there are other forums still out there, of course, but they are probably as antiquated as this one. That’s not a criticism, by the way. Merely a statement of fact.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 10:35
Mayby social media and PR should be an admin positiifor induviduals whom are interested and want to spend time on working ong SoMe and PR for PA on facebook or further on develop an Instagram account, a genuin way to reach out to new possible members for PA, and further on MMA (Metal Music Archives) and JMA (Jazz Music Archives). Just something to think about, it could improve the sites recognition and 'brand'

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 10:48

I used to be a member of many forums, and a moderator of a couple, They are definitely a relic from the past, so it’s kind of appropriate the PA forums linger on. The PA forums is not only the only one I am still a member of, but it’s the only forum I know that still exists. Every other forum I have ever been part of no longer exists. I have no doubt there are other forums still out there, of course, but they are probably as antiquated as this one. That’s not a criticism, by the way. Merely a statement of fact.

I am interested, Nick, as to why forums should be seen as a relic of the past. I am not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other of these social media sites. I find them all rather pointless, excepting when I do research for work or PABT. I far prefer forums to share opinions, and I lurk on PE, occasionally posting there, a couple of Star Trek forums, and other cultural sites.

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 11:12
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am interested, Nick, as to why forums should be seen as a relic of the past. I am not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other of these social media sites. I find them all rather pointless, excepting when I do research for work or PABT. I far prefer forums to share opinions, and I lurk on PE, occasionally posting there, a couple of Star Trek forums, and other cultural sites.

As I said, it was not a criticism. They have merely been superseded. Whether or not that is a good thing or not is entirely subjective. FB is the only social media I am on, but it is definitely far from pointless. I’m not sure anyone actually likes the platform, but it’s almost a necessary evil.

Your preference to use forums is just that. It had no relevance to whether or not they are a relic of the past. I prefer forums too, and have been sad to see all the forums I have been part of disappear into the ether. I personally think they have a great many advantages over any of their replacements.

But that said, if I had to choose over getting back all the forums I’ve been part of that have been lost to time, or getting rid of FB, i wouldn’t hesitate. FB provides far more, and as much as I dislike a lot about the platform itself, what it can provide for me is unrivalled.

Having both this forum and the FB page for PA was a little like having the best of both worlds. Ultimately what I would love to see is the continuation of this forum, and to see a FB group started for PA. The PA page on FB was kind of a wasted opportunity, as it limits interaction. A FB group would allow a more similar experience as can be had here, and allow those who do enjoy the social aspect of FB (so not you, if it’s not your preference) to link back and forth between here and there. It would also likely draw more traffic to this site, which can surely only be a good thing.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 12:30

One of the admins might have a better idea, but I think it is simply because th3 owner of the site either has more important things to do, or has rather lost interest.

Steve.....what is Facebook??

-------------

Posted By: Progishness
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 12:39
I think there still is a place for fora, but they don't appeal to the FB/Instagram generation as they require a bit more effort and diplomacy.  I'm not entirely convinced about one technology superseding another either.  It was thought in the early 20th century that radio would supersede newspapers, and a couple of decades later that TV would supersede radio, and yet to this day all three media still co-exist, though they have all had to adapt and exploit newer technology (e.g. the internet) in order to continue.

I think a FB group is certainly a possibility as long as it is well vetted to keep it a space for anyone with a genuine interest in prog.

Just my twopennorth.

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 12:58
Yes, my use of superseded was not really apt. There is definitely still a place for forums. As there is still a place for other relics of the past. There are some things that can be achieved by a forum which are very difficult to do any other way. I can’t ever see PA being able to do what it does without this forum. Any FB group for PA could only ever be supplementary.

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 13:05
Forums would seem to excel (still) for specific interest groups.

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 14:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Steve.....what is Facebook??

LOL Sadderthaneverpageforthemasses!

-------------

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 14:07
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I think there still is a place for fora, but they don't appeal to the FB/Instagram generation as they require a bit more effort and diplomacy.  I'm not entirely convinced about one technology superseding another either.  It was thought in the early 20th century that radio would supersede newspapers, and a couple of decades later that TV would supersede radio, and yet to this day all three media still co-exist, though they have all had to adapt and exploit newer technology (e.g. the internet) in order to continue.

An extremely knowing, and altogether spot on, post Clap

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 16:05
I might be one of the few people here that doesn't have a FB page. It took too much time away from other things, and I decided to cancel my page.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 18:04
Not the ONLY one !
Of course Mrs. JD has one, but not me.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Mudpuppy64
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 19:10
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I might be one of the few people here that doesn't have a FB page. It took too much time away from other things, and I decided to cancel my page.

Ditto

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 22:37
FB is supposed to be instant new things which it is ... but not always. A lot of FB groups can push the same old. There is no reference such as the PA archives.  If you display an interest in something you get further posts on a subject. It's an alternative and one can communicate instantly. This I suspect is the main appeal.

Good for comedy videos.

It's also a time sink so choose your moments wisely...

Posted By: Hiram
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 23:21
When I was on Facebook, I thought it was a good way to stay up to date on my different interests. I was a bit worried when I stopped using it, but I haven't looked back since and don't feel like I've missed anything. 

Just my tuppence and to each their own of course. 

Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 23:27
I reluctantly curate a FB account as I find it useful for keeping in touch with close family and real life friends, but I don't really use it for much else.

When it comes to social media I much prefer Twitter which can be good company for someone living on their own like myself.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 07 2021 at 23:41
I do think a PA facebook page should be kept alive and be constantly fed, because even though I do prefer the PA page and forum, FB can reach more people. It would be great if a post could be made automatically on the FB page whenever a review, or perhaps even a topic, is made on PA, so that there could be started a conversation about any such things there too. It would be great to see the PA FB page be among the most important prog FB pages (or groups, or both).

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 00:15
Yeah I stopped using Pacefook a good while ago (4-5 years?) and my life has been so much easier.
It’s basically just a platform for lying about how great/horrendous/fantastic/awful one’s life is...and then of course taking a photo of situations in order to prove to everyone else that you indeed experienced something in your life.

I realise I am coming off like an old man.
Good

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 02:08
^ there is no vaccine for the cranky crinkly virus. I mean, when you order your lunch, walk your dog, have a drink, rob a convenience store or stone your MP, you don't really need to take a photo of it to share with everyone else you have precisely zero intention of meeting do you?

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 02:40

That’s just being hip these days. A photo of anything is proof...that you indeed took a photo. The question beckons though...how much of life’s genuinely interesting and satori-like moments does one truly experience with a camera between the event and oneself?
That’s my main gripe with Facebook. Everything is so superficial. A neverending quest for likes and faux accomplishments.
Truth be told, I thought it was a great idea to begin with...but the more I see of it the more I am reminded of Narcisus and his love affair with his own reflection.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 03:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

That’s just being hip these days. A photo of anything is proof...that you indeed took a photo. The question beckons though...how much of life’s genuinely interesting and satori-like moments does one truly experience with a camera between the event and oneself?
That’s my main gripe with Facebook. Everything is so superficial. A neverending quest for likes and faux accomplishments.
Truth be told, I thought it was a great idea to begin with...but the more I see of it the more I am reminded of Narcisus and his love affair with his own reflection.

So very much thisClap. I do have a FB account, but these days it's a source of sadness and frustration rather than anything else. For me, the last straw came couple of weeks ago, on what would have been Slartibartfast's birthday. Seeing people wishing him a great day - completely unaware of his death - felt so tawdry and heartbreaking. With very few exceptions, no one cares about anyone else but themselves there.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 03:57
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

So very much thisClap. I do have a FB account, but these days it's a source of sadness and frustration rather than anything else. For me, the last straw came couple of weeks ago, on what would have been Slartibartfast's birthday. Seeing people wishing him a great day - completely unaware of his death - felt so tawdry and heartbreaking. With very few exceptions, no one cares about anyone else but themselves there.

The birthday thing!  What happens is FB notifies you that it's the birthday of somebody in your friends' list.  And then you feel it would be impolite not to wish EVEN if the person is just an acquaintance and not REALLY a friend.  Which happens a lot on FB because people, myself included, just add each other like crazy and then forget who all are in the friends' list. 

It happened that I was not in touch with a woman who was in the same batch as me for a management training program years back...but she was in my list.  I saw her birthday notification.  But I didn't immediately wish her and instead clicked on her wall.  I usually do that because people often put a wrong date as their birthday on FB for privacy's sake (unless they are close friends/relatives where I know for sure).  So I did that and then learnt to my great shock that she had died.  But I saw/see people wishing her on that day like clockwork, never wondering why they don't get a response.  

As morbid as this is, a documentary about something similar was made back in 2011 and about something that happened in 2003 (that is, before social media).  A British woman named Joyce Vincent died in 2003 and her body was only discovered nearly 3 years later.  She was youngish when she died and supposed to have been a vivacious personality so her death and the fact that she had been living all alone (as a result of which her body lay unattended for so long) came as a shock to the people who knew her. Guess it happens sadly that some people drift away from society, perhaps due to something that makes them sad or depressed or perhaps because they are in circumstances where they would like to avoid the judgmental eye of society. 

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 04:01

Wise words, mate. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Spaciousmind
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 04:17
I have never used FB, Twitter etc. and never will.  I just find it very sad how people walk around like zombies with the phone glued to their hand and to their ears, totally dead to the world and what is happening around them in their real life.  Heck these people can't focus on a movie or hold a conversation with their family without having to keep looking back to their phone.  Worse still they believe the gospel according to what their phone says as the worlds truth and knowledge, nothing else matters to them or is real.  A complete dumbing down of society.  Wondering how much more mentally declining it could possibly get with all the future advancement of this zombie technology.

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 04:57

I am not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other of these social media sites. I find them all rather pointless, excepting when I do research for work or PABT.

I think Twitter differs, unless you use it as a medium for "socialization". A practical and vast platform for acculturation.

Facebook, well... People are happy in their safe spheres, I guess. In forums, you have to be prepared for anything, but "social media" is like typical social relationships. It can have its surprises, but it is "safe & clean" normally. Too boring for me.

Never had an Instagram account, and have zero interest in creating one.

Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 06:19
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I think Twitter differs, unless you use it as a medium for "socialization". A practical and vast platform for acculturation.

Facebook, well... People are happy in their safe spheres, I guess. In forums, you have to be prepared for anything, but "social media" is like typical social relationships. It can have its surprises, but it is "safe & clean" normally. Too boring for me.

The problem with Twitter is it's too crude and virtually anyone can butt in with any kind of 'opinion' where opinion could be simply a euphemism for vile personal insults. 

FB too isn't that much of a bubble.  You can discover through FB that your work acquaintances, family friends who are pleasant company in person can have seriously bizarre political views and are, uh, more than a bit vocal in expressing them. Actually, the younger generation seems to realize the problems with FB for some of them have made groups where people express political and other opinions from all over the spectrum.  The idea IS to build tolerance to dissent and disagreement. 

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 06:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The problem with Twitter is it's too crude and virtually anyone can butt in with any kind of 'opinion' where opinion could be simply a euphemism for vile personal insults. 

FB too isn't that much of a bubble.  You can discover through FB that your work acquaintances, family friends who are pleasant company in person can have seriously bizarre political views and are, uh, more than a bit vocal in expressing them. Actually, the younger generation seems to realize the problems with FB for some of them have made groups where people express political and other opinions from all over the spectrum.  The idea IS to build tolerance to dissent and disagreement. 

I don't even read any "comments" on Twitter. I only use it for acculturation.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 06:34

I don't even read any "comments" on Twitter. I only use it for acculturation.

It's time for me to get the dictionary out to find out what "acculturation" means. Smile

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 07:15

Sounds like a description of PA, sometimes.

Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 08:13
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

PA is an extremely well moderated forum. We do get flare ups and rows here, but they are, in truth, an e caption and not the rule.

We don’t often get the type of moronic comments you see on social media at large.

-------------

Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 08:32

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

PA is an extremely well moderated forum. We do get flare ups and rows here, but they are, in truth, an e caption and not the rule.

We don’t often get the type of moronic comments you see on social media at large.

Yeah, that remark might be ok in a facetious vein but there's simply no comparison between whatever arguments you see here and Twitter.  Twitter is just impossibly ugly.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 11:28

Yeah I stopped using Pacefook a good while ago (4-5 years?) and my life has been so much easier.
It’s basically just a platform for lying about how great/horrendous/fantastic/awful one’s life is...and then of course taking a photo of situations in order to prove to everyone else that you indeed experienced something in your life.

I realise I am coming off like an old man.
Good

She has a FB page, and she is old too..... Clap LOL

Billedresultat for dolly parton tits

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 11:31
I have an account on Veestboek1, but I usually keep a rather low profile these days. I have very mixed feelings about those so-called social media and the negative ones prevail. It's just because some things I gladly use have tied themselves up to Veestboek. I don't have a Twitter account and Instagram is a playground for those teenage girlie-girlies who want to play the top model's part in their own bubbles, methinks.

I hate the idea of being connected 24/7 and the internet of things.

1The name Veestboek is derived from an almost forgotten Dutch word and means The book of farts and burps.

-------------

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 14:19

You're describing Instagram and Twitter with the need to constantly document things. Facebook is for spreading misinformation through disreputable news sources and creating comfy cultural echo chambers so you never have to question whether you're wrong or not now.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 14:51
I don't seem to be having the bad experiences others are on Facebook. I'm "friends" with or follow multiple musicians, many of them in the hallowed PA database. It's nice to see posts from them announcing what they're working on and many times they're much more personal than you'd expect. A lot of my "friends" post funny one-panel comics or memes, and I in turn also do this when I have the time.

Now that's not to say that I've had to deal with trolls and such in the past. You just unfriend them. Sure, that sets my Facebook account up to be an echo chamber of sorts. But that's OK. My life doesn't depend on Facebook and there are better sites out there for doing research. Like others have said, it's another way of keeping in touch with family.

One other benefit to Facebook: genealogy of living people. When public records on Ancestry.com only get you so far with tracing a tree into the present, sometimes finding living people on Facebook opens up more current family relationships and details that otherwise are unavailable. 

So rather than treat it as "that lousy social media," think out of the box and treat is as a resource for your hobbies, for your interests, and, in my case, for data to help me fill in family trees. To each his/her own.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 15:42

Facebook: Definition - a place where ignorant, self-opinionated people meet to make enemies of each other.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 16:07
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Facebook: Definition - a place where ignorant, self-opinionated people meet to make enemies of each other.

Yeah, that’s generally how I feel about it. A mate of mine asked me not long ago, millions of people can’t be wrong, to which I responded, yes they can, and very often are.

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 19:11
I like the "granularity" of this forum vs. Facebook!  Many interesting topics, easy of starting a new topic, share music videos on YouTube etc. 

Facebook?  Bah!!  Pox upon them!!  Dead

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: April 08 2021 at 21:50
If you want to know what’s wrong with Facebook, watch the Friendface episode of IT Crowd.

https://youtu.be/j4o2PDwKdcA" rel="nofollow - Friendface

Date Posted: April 09 2021 at 00:00
It is said that Twitter is where you make friends with people you know that you'll never meet.

And Facebook is where you're found by people you hoped you'd never see again.

-------------

Date Posted: April 09 2021 at 00:29
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I don't seem to be having the bad experiences others are on Facebook. I'm "friends" with or follow multiple musicians, many of them in the hallowed PA database. It's nice to see posts from them announcing what they're working on and many times they're much more personal than you'd expect. A lot of my "friends" post funny one-panel comics or memes, and I in turn also do this when I have the time.

Now that's not to say that I've had to deal with trolls and such in the past. You just unfriend them. Sure, that sets my Facebook account up to be an echo chamber of sorts. But that's OK. My life doesn't depend on Facebook and there are better sites out there for doing research. Like others have said, it's another way of keeping in touch with family.

One other benefit to Facebook: genealogy of living people. When public records on Ancestry.com only get you so far with tracing a tree into the present, sometimes finding living people on Facebook opens up more current family relationships and details that otherwise are unavailable. 

So rather than treat it as "that lousy social media," think out of the box and treat is as a resource for your hobbies, for your interests, and, in my case, for data to help me fill in family trees. To each his/her own.

I do use FB for all the same advantages you mention.  Rather, but for these advantages, I would long ago have deleted my account.  I hold my nose and ignore the toxicity but it's not pleasant.  See, what do you do when the 'trolls' posting malicious propaganda are your friends or relatives?  Sounds like you haven't been in that situation very often, but I have.  In certain countries, it's a lonely furrow to remain a liberal (especially, er, a centrist, supposedly the root of all evil) even though people in these countries, like mine, continue to assail the imaginary strawman of an evil liberal nexus having a stranglehold over institutions. You discover sides of people you otherwise like that you wish you hadn't.  And a simple unfollow cannot make you 'unsee' that. 

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 09 2021 at 05:03
I have never been a FB user and I have recently closed my Linkedin account, too.
PA is enough for me.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: April 09 2021 at 15:14

I do use FB for all the same advantages you mention.  Rather, but for these advantages, I would long ago have deleted my account.  I hold my nose and ignore the toxicity but it's not pleasant.  See, what do you do when the 'trolls' posting malicious propaganda are your friends or relatives?  Sounds like you haven't been in that situation very often, but I have.  In certain countries, it's a lonely furrow to remain a liberal (especially, er, a centrist, supposedly the root of all evil) even though people in these countries, like mine, continue to assail the imaginary strawman of an evil liberal nexus having a stranglehold over institutions. You discover sides of people you otherwise like that you wish you hadn't.  And a simple unfollow cannot make you 'unsee' that. 

No, I guess that I haven't been in that situation much. Most of the folks I've unfriended were not actually real friends or relatives, though I have unfriended a couple actual friends, a couple co-workers, and one distant relative. I'm sorry you've had these experiences. If I were in your situation I think I'd hold my nose and try to ignore it too. It all comes down to how valuable your positive experiences are as opposed to the negative ones. Once it gets past a tipping point is when you start questioning whether it's worth the stress spending time on Facebook (or any other social media platform).

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: April 09 2021 at 16:50

I get feeds and opinions from friends and relatives that I disagree with entirely, but I still want to see all of this because I want to know what other people are thinking and what kind of propaganda is making the rounds these days.
I post very little on FB myself, but I scroll through the feeds occasionally, it serves a purpose similar to channel surfing with a TV remote. I got rid of my TV 10 years ago, so things like youtube and other websites are my entertainment when I feel like goofing off.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 10 2021 at 06:16
I feel a bit conflicted about the whole social media debate as i used to get a ton of spam emails but after closing my Facebook page these ceased almost instantaneously. Although I do take seriously the real mental health issues and tragedies directly attributable to anonymous abusers and I understand how many feel the owners of Google, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc should be held more accountable for their user content: Aren't we in danger of blaming the paint factory for the graffiti here?. isn't the posting of vile, hateful and indefensible messages on line an education and parenting issue at source? (we can maybe also throw in mental health to that list?)

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2021 at 06:36
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I feel a bit conflicted about the whole social media debate as i used to get a ton of spam emails but after closing my Facebook page these ceased almost instantaneously. Although I do take seriously the real mental health issues and tragedies directly attributable to anonymous abusers and I understand how many feel the owners of Google, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc should be held more accountable for their user content: Aren't we in danger of blaming the paint factory for the graffiti here?. isn't the posting of vile, hateful and indefensible messages on line an education and parenting issue at source? (we can maybe also throw in mental health to that list?)
Yup, I certainly don't think this is something FB or Twitter can 'fix'.  If this is what social media brings out of us, we need to fix ourselves.  Maybe that's a slight upside of cancel culture.  I mean, just BECAUSE you are using a computer or a phone to communicate doesn't mean  you should unleash racist BS.  So there being a price for that isn't a bad thing (though the mob outing people who didn't actually say anything bigoted is bad with a capital B). But what I am driving at is some sort of social code falling in place as to what you can say in social media (the same as polite society) is a better solution than people getting suspended from FB for alleged insults or abuses.  

Date Posted: April 10 2021 at 06:38
One thing that FB, Twitter, Youtube could all do is something that's already done here on PA and on other internet forums.  Which is to simply screen out cuss words.  When you find your cuss words hidden by asterisks, you will start to use them less frequently.  I am sure IF they wanted to, these big and mighty giants could do THAT.  Rather, they should have done that long ago.  It would have saved them the trouble of attending Congressional hearings where they are threatened with regulation.  But where a forum like this tries to keep things in reasonable order, the SM giants were greedy and goaded vile speech because more usage was good for their bottomline, plain and simple. 

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 11 2021 at 02:56

Hi,

With one large bit of difference ... in many cases you are not allowed to reply to the post ... and that keeps a lot of "comments" out of it.

In PA, the idea of "freedom" and "openness" is actually all right, with the exception that PA has not had the folks interested in maintaining a good relationship with many artists, and even go so far as interviewing them ... one look at one person, who was interviewed and his work is criticized widely, shows you why I would imagine that a lot of artists are not interested in PA ... too many "social media" fans, that have no respect for the music itself, or for the artist, for that matter.

Sometimes, in these situations, the comments need to be moderated to help the music and the artist ... and this is something that PA is not capable of doing to help keep/maintain "progressive music" or "prog rock" in good hands and with critical comments ... the majority of comments about the music have no informational value, except that person X would rather have this or that, and certainly not what he/she is discussing.

Having opinions is fine, but not respecting the art itself, is another story ... but in this social media world, the art is not valuable and does not mean enough to anyone, as its content gets diluted and distorted to the point of worthless. Same thing, for someone making the call to do a concept piece and then break apart the pieces so they fit a "song" format and in the process really hurt the whole thing ... in my eyes ... 

But a group like PA, maintaining a person to get interviews and various discussions, is a problem, when the interest is always leaning towards "favoritism", than it is towards an objective study of the artist and his/her work. AND, PA does not have the Admin number of folks to help maintain the bad comments and responses out of the threads, something that a lot of people do not find fun, and interesting. AND, as an artist, would turn me off ... I'm OK with critical/intelligent comments, but I draw the line between that and the stupid comment response that has nothing to do with the whole thing except showing some personality traits that are not very respectful, or cool.

IF, we are going to be in FAVOR of the artists, we have to unload a lot of "personal favoritism" so that the ugly comments don't hurt the whole thing ... and in this area, I'm not sure that PA has that conceptual interest in their whole thing ... it's just another database out there that can not appreciate the artistry as much as it should to help the music we love.

The problem? I doubt that we love the whole thing as much as we think, when all we reply to are the same posts about 3 or 4 bands ... 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:46
I note that PA's old Twitter account (which I used to follow) has been suspended by the twitter powers that be. Does anyone know the back story to this?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk