Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126035
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 05:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite track from Saucerful of Secrets
Posted By: Progishness
Subject: Favourite track from Saucerful of Secrets
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 01:13
Which track off Pink Floyd's second album is your favourite?

Please vote and comment.

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Replies:
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 01:18
Set the Controls for me, with the title track a close second.

-------------

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 01:51

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 02:43
Jugband Blues have a sence of sadness and longing that it touches the heart strings.. i like the first song, very cool singing by David very powerfull.

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 02:54
I shouldn't vote as I love its entirety, but Syd's swansong deserves a vote.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 03:13
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I shouldn't vote as I love its entirety, but Syd's swansong deserves a vote.

that's the weakest song IMO, thank God they put it last song because otherwise it would have broken the flow of the album. 

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 03:25
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Set the Controls for me, with the title track a close second.

The same for me too, with Jugband Blues being my least favourite. Smile

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 08:24
The first three tracks are essential listening in my book. Today, I choose Remember A Day (marvelous vocals & piano by Rick). Corporal and Jugband are just leftovers in my listening session.

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 08:51
Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 08:53
The title track is my favorite on this album. Let There Be More Light would be my second choice, followed by the next two tracks.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: tempest_77
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 09:56
My favorite is probably "Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun", but I'll give my vote to the outstanding avant-garde piece "Saucerful of Secrets"

-------------
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on https://tempestsounds.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - my bandcamp !

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 12:07
The title track is a marvelous accomplishment but I'm gonna vote for "See-Saw"; I just can't resist Richard's vocals and that unique warm production style, although I can see why people would dismiss it as messy or melodramatic. Call it a guilty pleasure if you want.

-------------
https://mirasnelder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - Freelance composer, accepting commissions | https://mirasnelder.bandcamp.com/album/altered-acuity" rel="nofollow - New album!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 13:35
Title track for me. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 14:44
I think the opening track gets overshadowed by Set...
A shame as it's got enough to be considered a standard going by Nick Mason's current band.

Posted By: Braka1
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 14:52
Set the Controls is great, but..

Jugband Blues.

-------------

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 13 2021 at 22:00
For me the best are the first three... I have to go with Remember a Day since it's being so overlooked, but I might just as well have gone with Let there be more Light. I don't vote for Set the Controls because the live version(s) is so much better. About Jugband Blues, that's a weird one for me, for it's got some nice parts, but some other rather ridiculous ones... but even more so, the lyrics are so poignant... it was really as if Syd himself was saying goodbye. There's a BBC version I like better, because the ridiculous part doesn't sound quiet so ridiculous.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 00:32
Let There Be More Light, but this is a close call. However, Set the Controls turned out to be just a prototypical draft version of what it would become on Ummagumma and Pompeii.

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 01:10
Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 03:33
Voted for Remember A Day, although SoS,LTBML and Set the Controls are all excellent . I don't agree with Waters who said SeeSaw was the most boring son in the world bar two. He never said what they were. The only track I regularly skip is Corporal Clegg. An album that has aged very well for me.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 04:39
Jugband Blues. Doesn't belong on the album but it's still the best song.

Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 04:42
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Jugband Blues. Doesn't belong on the album but it's still the best song.

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 16:15
A Saucerful of Secrets +1

-------------

Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 17:36
In the end I went for Jugband Blues. It's a strange number, and kind of sad too, especially when you consider the state the writer was in at the time.

It is however in strong competition with Set the Controls...

The title track is very nice, but I think it lacks the intensity of Interstellar Overdrive. The Rick Wright compositions are a bit to whimsy for my taste. I quite enjoy Corporal Clegg; it does have some humour, but it's not necessarily a particularly good song.

Date Posted: April 14 2021 at 23:57
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I quite enjoy Corporal Clegg; it does have some humour, but it's not necessarily a particularly good song.

And like 'Free Four' from Obscured by Clouds it contains themes that Roger would explore in much greater detail later on albums such as The Wall, Final Cut, and Amused to Death.

-------------

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 03:47
Remember A Day - possibly in my top 10 all time favourites.  Shame Rick suffered from writer's block over his career.  Love this!

Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 03:57
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Remember A Day - possibly in my top 10 all time favourites.  Shame Rick suffered from writer's block over his career.  Love this!

I didn't know he suffered from writer's block, he did write and co-write several songs. 
I always thought the writing credits of PF are weird with songs credited to Waters but then there are a lot of keyboards on it. I don't get it. For example Sheep is credited to Waters but the keyboards work there, isn't that Rick's? I don't get it. 

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:34
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I didn't know he suffered from writer's block, he did write and co-write several songs. 
I always thought the writing credits of PF are weird with songs credited to Waters but then there are a lot of keyboards on it. I don't get it. For example Sheep is credited to Waters but the keyboards work there, isn't that Rick's? I don't get it. 

I don't get it either.  Off the top of my head, during the Waters era the last time Rick got an individual credit was on 'Shine On You'

Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 04:39

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't get it either.  Off the top of my head, during the Waters era the last time Rick got an individual credit was on 'Shine On You'

true, I forgot about that, Rick is not credited on Animals and there's keyboard work especially on Dogs and Sheep. I believe that is Rick, isn't it? 

Writer's block or not, he gave us Wet Dream and Broken China and I pleased, happy about that.  One of my favorite musicians. 

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 13:31
^ Actually, from Animals, even Pigs has very strong keyboards too... that eerie atmosphere is all keyboards. About the songs he has composed / contributed to, I read a while ago that Echoes was mainly based on Wright, so that brings his writing contributions up to one of the most acomplished songs from the band.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 14:19
For many years, it would have been Set The Controls, but in recent times, I have absolutely loved the title track, an extremely clever and intense piece.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 15:45
For some reason I have a special liking for "Corporal Clegg". This weird humour - "His boots were very clean". I just love it.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 15 2021 at 16:54
Consider my vote due to the 'Icarus' effect. 

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk