Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12618
Printed Date: May 14 2024 at 22:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: #1 Rank? Hmmmm....
Posted By: bertburt
Subject: #1 Rank? Hmmmm....
Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 21:49

You sort of have to travel into the past hypothetically for this one....

If someone were to say to you, "There's this great site regarding progressive rock.  It's progarchives.com.  One of their features is ranking any and all prog albums ever produced.  Before you visit the site, tell me what album you think tops the list as the generally-regarded #1 prog album of all time".

So, obviously, you'd have to take the general consensus into account above all.  My problem is, I've always had very few friends who appreciate this type of music, so I guess I've never had my finger on the pulse of what OTHER prog enthusiasts revered.

So, if I had've been asked that question, I probably would've said....

Yes - Fragile (with JT - Aqualung being a close second).

So, honestly, who would you have assumed was the #1?

Replies:
Posted By: Runaway
Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 22:33

Gentle Giant-In A Glass House

Well , its my favorite band and IAGH is my favorite album of all time, so I think its a little bit biased...

Posted By: bluetailfly
Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 22:47

I honestly would have said "Close to the Edge" (and "Fragile" and "The Yes Album" would be near the top.

I'm sorry, but for me, Jethro Tull's "TAAB" would be much farther down on the list, below many Genesis, KC, Gentle Giant, VdGG, and ELP albums. And the fact that it's number 3 on this list is one of the statistical injustices brought about by a well-intended but flawed algorhythm (and believe me I appreciate all the effort that has gone into it).

So I am not surprised about CTTE. I would expect it to be very near the top of any prog list. Check out the recent Mojo prog issue. It has an interesting rating of the top 50 prog albums.

-------------
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."

Posted By: fender101
Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 22:58

Dark side Or Brain Salad would be number 1. And should be number one for that matter

-------------
Well McGarnical Billy is dead! They slit his throat from ear to ear!

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 23:10
Probably Dark Side of the Moon

Posted By: gdub411
Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 23:11
Originally posted by fender101 fender101 wrote:

Dark side Or Brain Salad would be number 1.

Agreed, except I would have added Thick As A Brick and In The Court of The Crimson King  as well.

Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 23:14
I can understand the impulse to choose "Dark Side," but among Pink Floyd fans, it's rarely their #1 PF album.

-------------

Posted By: fender101
Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 23:17

Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

I can understand the impulse to choose "Dark Side," but among Pink Floyd fans, it's rarely their #1 PF album.

The question is what we would expect to be number one. I much perfer WYWH and Animals to DSOTM.

-------------
Well McGarnical Billy is dead! They slit his throat from ear to ear!

Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 23:21
I guess the question is, why do we presume it to be #1 then with whole prog rock fan base, if it's not something we would agree to? I'm just wondering why that would be. I'm inquisitive these days.

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 01:10

Foxtrot

Iván

-------------

Posted By: dima_olkov
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 01:21

My choice would be either "Selling England..." or "WYWH". The greatest albums of all time...

CTTE would definately be in my top 10. Not sure about Thick as a brick. It's a good album, definately a great prog stuff... but in my opinion it lacks something important... medodical consistency maybe...

-------------
PF, Genesis, KC, Yes, VdGG, GG, Camel, Jethro Tull

Posted By: Throgh
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 01:52
In the Court Of The Crimson King

-------------
don't worry
be happy

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 02:55
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Foxtrot

Iván

Not my personal favourite BUT I agree that this would a worthy NO1 prog album.Not a bad track (or even a weak track).Recorded at a time when prog was still very fresh and inventive.Immaculate production as well.

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 03:02
If not

WISH YOU WERE HERE

then

FOXTROT

-------------

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 03:05
Instantly ... without looking at a single other post ... the album I thought of was Dark Side Of The Moon ...

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: Chipiron
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 04:08

Dark Side...

This doesn't mean it's the best, but it's the most widely known.

-------------
[IMG]http://www.belderrain.es/GIFs/tora.gif">

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 04:09
Dark Side of the Moon

Posted By: Fritha
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 04:17

When I got into prog two years ago, I didn't really know anything about this musical field so I practically had to start from scratch. As I started to find my way to various prog sites online, I seem to remember being a bit surprised that Tales wasn't at least in the top three of prog masterpieces on prog site ranking lists and polls -not that I had ever even heard anything from that particular album myself, but it seemed like a true prog extravaganza, with four side long tracks and that mysterious title...and I thought that was all any prog aficionado could hope for, lol.

Well, I aqcuired CttE in March 2004. Not long after that did I start to look for general prog sites in the net, and seeing this album on top or very close to the top on various ranking lists was rather nice; it confirmed that I was but one of many who had found the magic on it. Morever, I had believed until then that Fragile was easily the band's most popular work.

-------------
I was made to love magic

Posted By: rockandrail
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 04:18
Genesis for shure and Foxtrot: Watcher of the skies, Get 'em out by Friday, Can utility and the coastliner and....Supper's ready on one single album!

-------------
Pierre R, the man who lost his signature

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 04:27

For me the contest would be between CTTE and ITCOTCK, the latter being the archetypal prog album, the former probably the best expression of the genre.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 04:40
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (which I never liked)

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 04:46
Good question. I would have expected "In the Court of the Crimson King" and "Dark Side of the Moon" to be right up there with  Foxtrot and Close to the Edge somewhere close behind.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 04:57

I'm sorry, but for me, Jethro Tull's "TAAB" would be much farther down on the list, below many Genesis, KC, Gentle Giant, VdGG, and ELP albums. And the fact that it's number 3 on this list is one of the statistical injustices brought about by a well-intended but flawed algorhythm (and believe me I appreciate all the effort that has gone into it).

Well, in this case the "flaw" is in the reviews ... Thick as a Brick is an "underdog" album compared to CttE. Those interested in writing a review for it are more likely long time JT fans than people who are just "passing by". And there are few hateful reviews who try to punish the album (like with DT or SB).

That's why this album is at position 3 IMO. If everyone who submitted a rating for CttE would also submit a rating for TaaB, I'm sure it would be much lower.  

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: pero
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 05:01
Originally posted by Runaway Runaway wrote:

Well , its my favorite band and IAGH is my favorite album of all time, so I think its a little bit biased...

This is my Avatar for the moment

Posted By: Bilek
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 05:10

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

If not

WISH YOU WERE HERE

then

FOXTROT

Fulfill your nick, for heaven's sake!

-------------
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)

Posted By: Bilek
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 05:19

Having listened to (almost) entire Yes back catalogue, I could have easily assumed CttE to be #1 in the archives. But I'm now talking under the influence of many reviews, threads etc. Without them, I probably would have assumed Tales being # !! Well, I didn't know it was so controversial then, maybe a third guess (from Yes) could have been Relayer...

I'd also expect ItCotCK to be at a higher position, if not #1... I really don't understand why some still underrate such an important album...

one last idea about Ivan's post: it's indeed surprising for someone who hates, even ignores post-Gabriel, at least post-Hackett era of a band to propose another album from the same band! (Be it a classic album). I mean, I don't like '80's period of many bands I admire, but I can live with many, for instance, Yes' 90125 and Union, Tangerine Dream's poppy stuff, Can's Rite Time etc...

-------------
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 05:23
Dark Side of the Moon or Foxtrot

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Arbiter
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 06:47
Selling England By The Pound.

-------------
"Some things have to be believed to be seen."
-Ralph Hodgson

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 07:25
I would have expected the top 5 to be very similiar to the chart in the recent Q prog special i.e. DSOTM, Foxtrot, Close to the Edge, ITCOTCK etc. I'm suprised to see TAAB so high, but a lot of people here like it, so why not. Actually, I don't think it was in the Q Top 100 at all, Aqualung was the top Tull one, I believe.

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 09:33
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I would have expected the top 5 to be very similiar to the chart in the recent Q prog special i.e. DSOTM, Foxtrot, Close to the Edge, ITCOTCK etc. I'm suprised to see TAAB so high, but a lot of people here like it, so why not. Actually, I don't think it was in the Q Top 100 at all, Aqualung was the top Tull one, I believe.

You're right, it was Aqualung.

Posted By: rawkhawk54
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 10:47
I would assume DSOTM would be #1, but i think 2112 or Animals should be #1, just my personal opinion.

-------------
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end. -Roger Waters
Confusion will be my epitaph. -King Crimson

Posted By: krusty
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 11:00
Probably would be Dark side...
With the Lamb Lies and Fragile up there I suppose.

-------------
http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=309" rel="nofollow - Humanism

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 11:27
Thick As A Brick or Pawn Hearts!

Posted By: nimrodel
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 11:35

queen  ll

not the best prog band (or even a prog band) but the best prog album..

-------------
We want... a shrubbery!

Posted By: eduardossc
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 11:40

I understand the impulse to choose "Dark side" too. It is the aesiest to listen too, because there´s no prog rock in it. Is a conventional rock album.....

I think #1 should be "Geneisis Live" from 1973. Now, that is prog ¡¡¡.

A studio album?...Probably "Nursery cryme"...

There are many albums overlooked, like Banco´s first, Metamorfosi´s "Inferno", Museo Rosenbach´s "Zarathustra"

Posted By: OldFatherThames
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 11:49

I would expect:

1. King Crimson - In the court of the crimson king
  2. Genesis - Selling England by the pound
  3. Yes - Close to the edge

My choice:

1. Genesis - Foxtrot
  2. Genesis - Nursery Cryme
  3. Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick

Posted By: Progcupine
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 11:51

THE WALL

-------------
..You´re not alone...

Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 12:02
Originally posted by eduardossc eduardossc wrote:

I understand the impulse to choose "Dark side" too. It is the aesiest to listen too, because there´s no prog rock in it. Is a conventional rock album.....

I think #1 should be "Geneisis Live" from 1973. Now, that is prog ¡¡¡.

A studio album?...Probably "Nursery cryme"...

There are many albums overlooked, like Banco´s first, Metamorfosi´s "Inferno", Museo Rosenbach´s "Zarathustra"

I think the impulse stems from this:

If you poll all rock fans about the best albums in rock, Floyd's "Dark Side" will be the first prog lp to show up.

However, if you poll only PF fans alone, or even knowledgeable prog fans alone, I don't believe it will be #1.

It is fantastic lp, don't ge me wrong (see my review of it), but once one experiences the lesser known prog classics, one becomes aware of other mind-blowing experiences that rival and, perhaps, surpass it.

-------------

Posted By: DACE
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 13:30
"Wish You were Here" or "Selling England By The Pound".

Posted By: Paulieg
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 13:55

1) In The Court Of The Crimson King

2) Close To THe Edge

Actually, I never cared what was the most popular and never really checked out the part of the web page with the rankings.  I have no idea who is #1 now, for example.  The above are just my educated guess, along with these albums being critical in introducing me to prog. 

Posted By: omri
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 15:36

I think the question was what would be our individual choice and not what is the most important or inflencial or highest in the Q list.

My personal choice is King crimson's Red.

Other which deserves mention are Foxtrot, Rock bottom, Animals, Trilogy, Thick as a brick (and it is so high cause it's a great album that many reviewers ranked it this way) and few VDGG album (with a bunch of KC albums too). Must add Sherezade as well.

-------------
omri

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 15:39
wish you were here

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 15:42

BE

But CTTE is also cool.

Posted By: Gentle Ronnie
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 15:57
Originally posted by Runaway Runaway wrote:

How exactly is that "being biased"? That's your opinion!

-------------

Posted By: hegelec
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 16:11

Top would be Close to the Edge, then Selling England by the Pound, or perhaps TAAB

IAGH deserves to be near the top, but GG are still not quite as popular as Yes, Genesis, et all.

-------------
Cheers!

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 17:33

It seems quite obvious to me that  Close To The Edge would be No 1 Album.I think that the bands in the Top 15 are about right.

Classic Prog is what this site is all about right??

Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 17:41
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Sure, whatever you say, Tony!

-------------

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 18:11

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Sure, whatever you say, Tony!

Oh,yes.....

(I forgot to add the emoticonEmbarrassed)

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 18:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Foxtrot

Iván

Not my personal favourite BUT I agree that this would a worthy NO1 prog album.Not a bad track (or even a weak track).Recorded at a time when prog was still very fresh and inventive.Immaculate production as well.

Absolutely

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Crushed Aria
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 18:21
What I'd most likely think of as number one: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon.

What I'd want to be number one: Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element, 1.

-------------

Posted By: Pr@gmatic
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 19:59

In The Court Of The Crimson King or The Dark Side Of The Moon.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk