Print Page | Close Window

What 3 Rush albums are the most overrated?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126443
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 16:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What 3 Rush albums are the most overrated?
Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Subject: What 3 Rush albums are the most overrated?
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 11:31
It was another thread entirely that started me thinking about this topic.

As of 2021, I will be a 40-year Rush listener. Even before I discovered this site, I noticed when discussing the band with other fans that certain albums have almost become sacred cows. My top 3 most overrated Rush albums are:

1) 2112
2) A Farewell to Kings
3) Moving Pictures

Which is not to say these are bad albums, but I've just never understood why others like them so much. 2112 and A Farewell to Kings have fabulous "side 1s", but there is a HUGE drop-off in quality on their respective "side 2s". Moving Pictures is an average Rush album (except for "Witch Hunt", which is awful) that has just been overplayed and endlessly name-dropped. So which Rush albums do you think are the most overrated?

And can someone explain why Counterparts is ranked higher on this site than Power Windows?

Thanks.

P.S.: Saw the band live in '83, '84, '86, and '88.

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 11:33
if you use the superlative "the most overrated", it means there are at least three overrated albums. LOL

I don't find any of them overrated, some are really famous but they deserve their fame. 

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 11:52
None. 

-------------

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 12:57
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

And can someone explain why Counterparts is ranked higher on this site than Power Windows?

Because more people like it / think it’s better. Pretty simple answer. I’ve never rated a Rush album on this site, or even looked at the rankings here, and I have to admit I’m not really familiar with which albums (apart 2112 and Moving Pictures) are viewed as classics - but Power Windows is easily my least favourite Rush album, so I’d not just rate Counterparts higher, but every other Rush album, too!

Before I got into Rush, and before I’d ever heard a note, the only two Rush albums I knew of were 2112 and Moving Pictures, and even if I’d not put them both in my own top five Rush albums, I can hear and understand why both are so loved. So I’d definitely not call either of those two overrated, even if Moving Pictures doesn’t do so much for me personally. As for the second side of 2112, well of course that’s as subjective as everything else. I really don’t think it’s that much of a drop off from the first side. Or, at least, anything is going to seem lesser compared to 2112. But I still like every song on the second side more than a heck of a lot of any on some other Rush albums.

Farewell to Kings is not overrated either, in my opinion. I guess it all comes down to preference, and that some people can’t appreciate why others may enjoy what they don’t so much. If everyone loved Power Windows and routinely stated it were Rush’s greatest album and achievement, I wouldn’t really understand that, and definitely wouldn’t agree on a personal level, but I would never suggest it were overrated.

I sometimes wonder if it’s possible for something to be overrated. If an album is that popular, and that revered, there is probably a good reason for that. It is definitely easier to argue that an album is underrated, than overrated.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: Ghost Whistler
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 13:07
Moving Pictures
Rush (the debut album, it's garbage)

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 13:10
I don't think you can really overrate AFTK that much, it's a great album and I like side two of 2112 but I do agree about Moving Pictures, I've never understood why this is rated so highly among Rush fans. I mean it's ok but doesn't do much for me I'm afraid.

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 13:14
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Because more people like it / think it’s better. Pretty simple answer. I’ve never rated a Rush album on this site, or even looked at the rankings here, and I have to admit I’m not really familiar with which albums (apart 2112 and Moving Pictures) are viewed as classics - but Power Windows is easily my least favourite Rush album, so I’d not just rate Counterparts higher, but every other Rush album, too!

Before I got into Rush, and before I’d ever heard a note, the only two Rush albums I knew of were 2112 and Moving Pictures, and even if I’d not put them both in my own top five Rush albums, I can hear and understand why both are so loved. So I’d definitely not call either of those two overrated, even if Moving Pictures doesn’t do so much for me personally. As for the second side of 2112, well of course that’s as subjective as everything else. I really don’t think it’s that much of a drop off from the first side. Or, at least, anything is going to seem lesser compared to 2112. But I still like every song on the second side more than a heck of a lot of any on some other Rush albums.

Farewell to Kings is not overrated either, in my opinion. I guess it all comes down to preference, and that some people can’t appreciate why others may enjoy what they don’t so much. If everyone loved Power Windows and routinely stated it were Rush’s greatest album and achievement, I wouldn’t really understand that, and definitely wouldn’t agree on a personal level, but I would never suggest it were overrated.

I sometimes wonder if it’s possible for something to be overrated. If an album is that popular, and that revered, there is probably a good reason for that. It is definitely easier to argue that an album is underrated, than overrated.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I knew when I started this thread that some people are offended by the idea of "overrated" and "underrated". It's not a way of denigrating anyone or their opinion, but just a way of saying, "I've never understood why so many people like/dislike this band/album," or, "Why is this band/album so popular/revered or unpopular/unappreciated?" We're all different, and raising the issue is just an attempt to make sense of differences of opinion.

One of the most interesting things about Rush is that the band members have openly admitted that not every album/song they ever did was immaculate and handed down from Olympus. I specifically remember one interview with Alex Lifeson where he named Test for Echo as the worst Rush album, and "Tai Shan" as the worst Rush song. How many other bands would venture an opinion like that? At the same time, some of the albums the band is not proud of (Caress of Steel, Signals) are among my personal favorites.

Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 13:24

I knew when I started this thread that some people are offended by the idea of "overrated" and "underrated". It's not a way of denigrating anyone or their opinion, but just a way of saying, "I've never understood why so many people like/dislike this band/album," or, "Why is this band/album so popular/revered or unpopular/unappreciated?" We're all different, and raising the issue is just an attempt to make sense of differences of opinion.

If that’s the case, maybe using the term “overrated” was the wrong choice? Because the way you’ve defined it is probably not how most people understand the term.

I definitely don’t really understand why Moving Pictures is as popular and revered as it is, but I’ll never call it overrated.

Had you asked which Rush albums seem universally popular, but don’t strike a chord with you, then it would probably get the same answers, without needing to resort to using the term overrated?

I like Test For Echo, Tai Shan and Signals, so I guess I like what the band doesn’t. For me Signals is everything Moving Pictures was trying to be, but didn’t quite get there. If I had to choose only one ‘80s Rush album, I would have no hesitation in choosing Signals.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 14:55

It was another thread entirely that started me thinking about this topic.

As of 2021, I will be a 40-year Rush listener. Even before I discovered this site, I noticed when discussing the band with other fans that certain albums have almost become sacred cows. My top 3 most overrated Rush albums are:

1) 2112
2) A Farewell to Kings
3) Moving Pictures

Which is not to say these are bad albums, but I've just never understood why others like them so much. 2112 and A Farewell to Kings have fabulous "side 1s", but there is a HUGE drop-off in quality on their respective "side 2s".

Different strokes. Some people may agree, but I wager most will not.

But I'll say right off the bat that Hemispheres is their best '70s album. That record rages from start to end.

Moving Pictures is an average Rush album (except for "Witch Hunt", which is awful)

I've not heard such a thing in 35 years! LOL It's hard to find anything "wrong" with that album.

That just means not enough people have chimed in on PoW. I, myself, love Counterparts, but I don't know anyone who thinks it's better than PoW. Btw, the Counterparts concerts was a helluva show!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 14:58
I don't understand the question.......Confused

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 15:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't understand the question.......Confused

LOLWink

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 15:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

That just means not enough people have chimed in on PoW. I, myself, love Counterparts, but I don't know anyone who thinks it's better than PoW. Btw, the Counterparts concerts was a helluva show!

I shall just restate then, in case you missed it, Power Windows is easily my least favourite Rush album. I didn’t realise it was a highly rated album until now. So it didn’t surprise me that Counterparts was rated higher. I thought (perhaps wrongly) that most people weren’t great fans of ‘80s Rush (with the exception of Waves and Pictures). 🤷🏻‍♂️

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 15:29
Signals,
Power Windows,
Grace under P
and Clockwork Angels.

Except for the relatively OK (but hardly great) S&A, anything between Pictures  and CA cannot be overrated since it's mostly crud

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 15:40
The Pain Trane has rolled in! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 15:45
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

That just means not enough people have chimed in on PoW. I, myself, love Counterparts, but I don't know anyone who thinks it's better than PoW. Btw, the Counterparts concerts was a helluva show!

I shall just restate then, in case you missed it, Power Windows is easily my least favourite Rush album. I didn’t realise it was a highly rated album until now. So it didn’t surprise me that Counterparts was rated higher. I thought (perhaps wrongly) that most people weren’t great fans of ‘80s Rush (with the exception of Waves and Pictures). 🤷🏻‍♂️

Everyone likes what they like. We just like it a little (or a lot) more or less than the next person.

Btw, I never listen to the first album. I don't own it. And I listen only to live versions of the songs from FBN.

-------------

Posted By: Umeda
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 15:47
Well, I was gonna say Moving Pictures, but I just listened to it from start to finish today and now I quit.

Maybe Signals. I adore it, but I think it has a relatively high score for... PA stantards.

-------------
Not for rent. To any God or government.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 20 2021 at 15:53
Originally posted by Umeda Umeda wrote:

Well, I was gonna say Moving Pictures, but I just listened to it from start to finish today and now I quit.

Maybe Signals. I adore it, but I think it has a relatively high score for... PA stantards.

people keep saying this sometimes, but (no offense) wtf is a "PA standard"? 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 21 2021 at 00:28
a lot of Rush chatter at the moment.

Up until the 90's I thought they were generally overrated but now would be in my top five favourite bands (maybe No 3) 

The only album I don't connect well with is Hemispheres and that is the one generally considered their best on prog sites. I think there are weaknesses on all their seventies albums and a feeling they were a bit 'after the fact' with making only borderline prog albums. Their success came from being a phenomenal live band in that period not great albums imo. Moving Pictures can never be overrated. Tom Sawyer , Red Barchetta, YYZ and Limelight is about as strong a start to any rock/prog album I've ever heard. 

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 21 2021 at 00:38
Moving Pictures
Moving Pictures
Moving Pictures

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 21 2021 at 04:55
2112 (2112 is the weakest of their side long epics IMO)

Signals (Side 1 is brilliant, side 2 is weak, notably New World Man and Countdown which do nothing for me)

A Farewell to Kings (Cinderalla Man, Madrigal & Closer to the Heart, I can happily live without, and the ESL version of Xanadu is far better than the studio version)

I do like all the above, but probably wouldn't list them in my Rush top 5.

Moving Pictures is near enough perfection for me. Only Witch Hunt is relatively weak, and even that has great 'moments'

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: May 21 2021 at 14:37
A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres. 

The songwriting just isn't that good and they can get pretty generic at times, although they have their high points. 

Only those two. Moving Pictures I think is just excellent and 2112 the suite might drag on a bit in some places but it has brilliant moments and side 2 is also very strong.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: May 21 2021 at 15:14
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Signals (Side 1 is brilliant, side 2 is weak, notably New World Man and Countdown which do nothing for me)

Either way, "The Weapon" and "Losing It" are brilliant.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 21 2021 at 17:27
The most overrated?

None of them imo. However, if I had to chose I would say vapor trails, 2112 and Moving Pictures. I like the last two though. VT hasn't grown on me yet and maybe never will.

Date Posted: May 21 2021 at 18:56
Vapor Trails can't be "overrated" just because you don't like it. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: May 22 2021 at 12:16
I hesitate to use the word "overrated" as that implies a sense of universality that I wouldn't dare claim in this case, but even relative to my declining interest in Rush I've found that I just don't care about 2112 as an album anymore, even though it once served as my entry point into the band (and one of my entry points into prog as a whole). The music on both sides is just fairly standard mid-70s hard rock fare and the production sounds really dull and monotone to me, especially when compared to later albums.

-------------
https://mirasnelder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - Freelance composer, accepting commissions | https://mirasnelder.bandcamp.com/album/altered-acuity" rel="nofollow - New album!

Date Posted: May 22 2021 at 14:01

Vapor Trails can't be "overrated" just because you don't like it. Wink

I think that’s how most of the people here are using the word, though.....

There are very few, if any overrated Rush albums. I may not like them, but albums don’t get that popular and continue to hold such acclaim if they are overrated. If an album has ever been overrated that usually becomes more obvious as t8me goes on. As a fan of Bowie, it’s easy to see where albums were overrated at the time, as people fell over themselves to claim X was the best Bowie album since Y or Z. But as time has gone by, those albums that were overrated are no longer held in such high esteem. That people still love Moving Pictures, even though it does nothing much for me, says it’s not overrated. Etc. etc. etc.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 06 2021 at 16:42
This should probably be in lists. Anyway, for me I'll say:

1. 2112
2. Moving Pictures
3. A Farewell to Kings

All three are still great but I think compared to others they get a little too much exposure(especially the first two I listed here). The title track to 2112 is great but side two is a bit lacking copared to side one. The songs are still good on side two but compared to other rush album sides they pale in comparison imo and just are light on the prog. MP is very played out. There's two or three songs on here that have just been played to death on classic rock radio. So that's my biggest complaint. It's not as adventurous or as prog sounding as the few before it either imo with the exception of camera eye and yyz. AFTK has enough just ok or filler stuff for it to qualify to be on  here, namely madrigal and cinderella man. Even cygnus I think doesn't really hold up that well imo. I like the sound effects and the fact that it tries to be science fictionish though. However, Xanadu and the title track are prime Rush imo.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk