Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126549
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 05:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 90125 vs Discipline
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: 90125 vs Discipline
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:21
Neither band at the time intended to use their old band name. In the case of Yes they started of as Cinema. In the case of King Crimson they started off as Discipline.  Both are different and very much apples and oranges but both are 80's albums and because of the similar history I decided to do a poll on them. 

Replies:
Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:30
Discipline is a master piece and one of the best examples of a prog rock band reinterpreting the genre for a new era.

90125 is one of the better post-classic period Yes albums, but not the best, and inferior to Drama and arguably IMO, also The Ladder and Talk.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:31

80s KC is my least favorite KC.

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I doubt you will be the only person to vote for 90125 over Discipline but you seem to be the first. 

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:44

To me Discipline is decent but way too derivative of the Talking Heads.

90125 is totally original and IMHO excellent.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 13:58
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

90125 is totally original and IMHO excellent.

Yep. In retrospect Discipline is rather derivative of remain in light in particular. Not that it's a total copy or anything and it's still good but I seriously doubt it would sound the way it did if it wasn't for RIL. I might just have to change my avatar after this doing this poll. LOL

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:01
KC, by distances too large for humans to fathom. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Hiram
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:04
Discipline. No contest here. 

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Yes, same here, so it's 90125 for me too, and I agree with Silly Puppy that 1980's King Crimson sounds too much like Talking Heads for my tastes. Ouch

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:09
KC

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:10
I love the run of KC's '80s albums. My favourite of the three is Three of a Perfect Pair. But in this poll Discipline for sure.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:20
I kind of figured Yes would get squashed in this poll but I decided to do it anyway. I think in a general rock website 90125 would probably win even if the respondents had heard both albums.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 14:51
90210 ;)

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 16:00

I've seen this comment a few times. I can see the connection now, but I wouldn't have made it without people pointing me to it. Actually Talking Heads haven't done anything even remotely close to The Sheltering Sky, Discipline or Indiscipline, the guitar wizardry (and focus on instrumental excellence generally) is on a totally different level etc. You can say the album has some Talking Heads influence in it as many albums have an influence from many things. It is still strikingly original, and overall about as "derivative as "In The Court".
I'm not disputing the originality of 90125, but 1/2 of the album doesn't work very well.

Did I already say for which one I vote? Tongue

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 16:13
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I've seen this comment a few times. I can see the connection now, but I wouldn't have made it without people pointing me to it. Actually Talking Heads haven't done anything even remotely close to The Sheltering Sky, Discipline or Indiscipline, the guitar wizardry (and focus on instrumental excellence generally) is on a totally different level etc. You can say the album has some Talking Heads influence in it as many albums have an influence from many things. It is still strikingly original, and overall about as "derivative as "In The Court".
I'm not disputing the originality of 90125, but 1/2 of the album doesn't work very well.

Belew also played on Talking Heads' Remain in Light, and performed with them, deepening said connection. But I agree with your remarks.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 16:14

I'm not trashing Discipline by any means but it was the first time the KC brand was following instead of leading. I just find the album to be less exciting than many make it out to be. While the guitar antics of Adrian Belew are quite original, the percussive rhythmic drive are Talking Heads new wave all the way.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:12
I was having a hard time choosing so I went with "both equally." Whoever put that as an option is a very smart guy. Wink

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:43
Discipline.

Posted By: Artik
Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:44
Is that even a question? It's pop/pop rock vs new wave/prog, of course KC wins. King Crimson set the bar for others prog bands in the 80s and showed that it was possible to stay relevant and creative and not sell out shamesly. Even if it was inspired by others (Talking Heads) it wasn't inspired by Top Ten garbage. I'm sorry for being harsh on Yes here, but as I love this band, their 90125, Big Generator and Union era is unbearable to me. Thankfuly they managed to recover from this severe pop disease later.

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:45
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

KC, by distances too large for humans to fathom. 
this

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:55
Originally posted by Artik Artik wrote:

Is that even a question? It's pop/pop rock vs new wave/prog, of course KC wins. King Crimson set the bar for others prog bands in the 80s and showed that it was possible to stay relevant and creative and not sell out shamesly. Even if it was inspired by others (Talking Heads) it wasn't inspired by Top Ten garbage. I'm sorry for being harsh on Yes here, but as I love this band, their 90125, Big Generator and Union era is unbearable to me. Thankfuly they managed to recover from this severe pop disease later.

I wouldn't say KC set the bar at all. Many prog bands were doing these crossover prog albums. Gentle Giant was ahead of the game with its last three albums and Yes even beat them to the punch with Drama. The 70s was chock full of progressive pop. Sparks for example was doing this stuff 10 years before KC or anybody really. Not sure why this album gets so many kudos. I guess it's because it's popular.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 18:33

Sparks for example was doing this stuff 10 years before KC or anybody really.

Except that "this stuff" was totally different.

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 18:42

Different in what way? Prog, pop and ethnic influences dancing in the same ballroom was hardly revolutionary. I've listened to Discipline for years. I actually like it less every time i hear it because the deeper i dig into many musical styles, i find it's all been done before. It was a great album for sure but to call it revolutionary in any way doesn't fly with me. It was a great adaptation for the times and managed to fit in without totally selling out like Genesis, THAT's for sure! Personally i just prefer 90125.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 20:02

I wouldn't say KC set the bar at all. Many prog bands were doing these crossover prog albums. Gentle Giant was ahead of the game with its last three albums and Yes even beat them to the punch with Drama. The 70s was chock full of progressive pop. Sparks for example was doing this stuff 10 years before KC or anybody really. Not sure why this album gets so many kudos. I guess it's because it's popular.

Don't forget the first Roxy Music album which I think beats Sparks by a few years. Also, you could point to the Moody Blues even earlier.

Date Posted: May 30 2021 at 20:06
^ I love Roxy Music! They were quite innovative as well however Sparks which started out as Halfnelson released its first album in 1971 while Roxy didn't unleash its debut until the next year. Still, both were very much ahead of their time and all the new wave 80s including KC's Discipline owes a lot to those pioneers.

As far as Discipline vs 90125. No need to compare. I much prefer Red and Relayer any day Wink

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 00:11
Yes is my favorite prog band, and I still picked Discipline here.

I also happen to really enjoy said album anyway.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 00:28
90125 by 1.5 star.  Discipline is one of the most overrated albums in the entire prog catalog.

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 00:38
Yes - 90125

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 00:43
Discipline for me.

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 03:31
King Crimson - Discipline.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 05:52
Yes - 90125

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 06:39
For me, King Crimson. No question.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 08:11
90125 gets the nod.
Couldn't get into Discipline.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: ricerob
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 09:55
I would say Discipline is the better, more original album by far, but I listen to 90125 more often. I find it a bit tiring. When I'm in Discipline mood I prefer to listen to  the liveAbsent Lovers, anyway.

Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 12:32

Drama is great, but less revolutionary for the previous band style than Discipline in the context of KC discography. 90125 was kinda revolutionary in terms of previous style, but drowned in pop (ouch!) so it was de-evolution. It was contrary to the very idea of prog which main goal was to broaden the boundries of rock by aiming for unusual and mixing rock with unexpected elements while avoiding emulating pop shemes. Gentle Giant "Missing piece" wasn't ahead of anything, it was a downfall of their style but still much in the same vein (and still quite good). Their last two were different, but not in a good way. Giant for a day has it's moments but suffers from the same disease as 90125 - pop oriented de-evolution. Civilian being not as poppy but far less interesting than Discipline. So compared with Genesis, Giant, Yes of the same era KC with Discipline set the bar way above their then rather pedestrian contemporaries aiming for sellout. 

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 14:42
KC by many, many, many, many light years.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 18:20

Different in what way? Prog, pop and ethnic influences dancing in the same ballroom was hardly revolutionary. I've listened to Discipline for years. I actually like it less every time i hear it because the deeper i dig into many musical styles, i find it's all been done before. It was a great album for sure but to call it revolutionary in any way doesn't fly with me. It was a great adaptation for the times and managed to fit in without totally selling out like Genesis, THAT's for sure! Personally i just prefer 90125.

They say "there's nothing new under the sun" for a reason. 99.9% of innovation is putting together stuff that already exists in new ways. Of course you can say Sparks and Roxy Music combined some elements in a new way as Discipline did, and even element X and Y occur in those as well as in Discipline. But that's very formalist, and as long as their stuff sounds totally different (taking the overall impression, composition, production, instrumental performances,...), that seems quite irrelevant to me regarding the originality of Discipline.  

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 20:00
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

KC by many, many, many, many light years.

Thumbs Up

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: projeKct
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 20:45
Discipline, of course. But 90125 has its charms.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 21:58
I actually do like 90125 especially the song It Can Happen which has nice vocal harmonies.  But it's simply no match for Discipline.  The Discipline (Belew) lineup was at least the second best formation of KC (after Wetton-KC) and almost equally as good.  And the songwriting was very disciplined (pun intended) and focused, with the fluff and padding of SABB cut out.  It might appear less monstrous than it really is only because of the tremendous chops of every player involved. 

Check this out, Belew actually struggles to manage singing and playing Frame by Frame on time.  It's really tough.  

Discipline is a wonderful example of how ultra-technical music can be condensed into an extremely accessible and catchy form.  One of Fripp's greatest achievements in a long and storied career.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 22:04

My views are somewhat in the middle of both of yours.  

Discipline is not quite as much of a breakthrough as it is made out to be in the sense that crossover/prog-pop was already being done by others.  But the Gamelan-influenced interlocking riffs were all Fripp.  The only song pre-dating Discipline on which I have heard similar riffs is I Zimbra (on which Fripp played, so there you go).  You could just segue from I Zimbra to Elephant Talk.  

As a huge Sparks fan, I would be curious to know which songs of theirs evoke the specific style heard on Discipline.  New Wave, I get, but there's much more to Discipline than just new wave and their (Discipline-KC) connections to new wave are very tenuous if anything.  

I would also not hold that against KC anyway because much bigger, much more celebrated bands borrowed from Sparks (I am thinking of ABBA and Queen in particular) and nobody gives Sparks any credit.  Maybe that was just their destiny, idk. The first time I heard Thank God It's Christmas, I was stunned.  New Wave in 1974 and nobody talks about it?

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 31 2021 at 23:16
I voted for KC. I rather like the Yes offering but feel it is completely out of it's class here. As a pop rock album with some nice musical chops thrown in for good measure, it's actually pretty cool. Disciplne on the other hand balances the experimental mindset of the band's past yet manages to inject itself into the new wave sounds of the day...without sounding like anything else. Then again..none of that matters if the music is whack...which it most certainly isn't

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: June 01 2021 at 00:27
Took all of two seconds to decide to vote for Discipline. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 01 2021 at 01:27

I like both, but probably listen to 90125 more.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: projeKct
Date Posted: June 01 2021 at 05:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Check this out, Belew actually struggles to manage singing and playing Frame by Frame on time.

... and smiling! Smile

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: June 01 2021 at 07:22
Like both but went with Yes here

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: June 01 2021 at 15:28

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: June 03 2021 at 08:24
Discipline. 40-20 now. 90125 might fair better against Beat or Three of a Perfect Pair.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: June 03 2021 at 08:35
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Discipline. 40-20 now. 90125 might fair better against Beat or Three of a Perfect Pair.

Discipline is my least favourite of the Red Blue Yellow trilogy, so it wouldn’t affect my vote. If I voted Discipline over 90210 (and I did), then it goes without saying I would vote for Beat and Perfect Pair, too.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: June 03 2021 at 10:58
My two most favourite prog band of whom I have all their studio albums (oh no, that's not true anymore: I gave away Heaven & Earth...). Discipline was the first KC album I heard, and I didn't like it at the time so I didn't explore more KC for a couple of years until I heard ITCOTCK on the radio and thought "wow!". But Discipline is somehow still my least preferred KC album, whereas 90125 was the first vinyl ever I bought and still has a special place in my music collection. So 90125 it is.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 19 2022 at 02:25
King Crimson - Discipline

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk