Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126640
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 04:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wind Instruments in Prog
Posted By: BrufordFreak
Subject: Wind Instruments in Prog
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:03
If you'd like to cite specific instances for your favorite uses, please, be my guest.

I'm a fan of the trumpet, oboe, recorder, and flute families--probably in that order. 

To my ears, the cor anglais (a member of the oboe family) is the most beautiful instrument ever devised. 

P.S. Who knew that the pipe organ was officially classified as a wind instrument?

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Replies:
Posted By: Progfan1958
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:21
Perhaps electric bagpipes ? ;)

-------------
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:24
Flute and Sax, though any other is always welcomed.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:25
Didgeridoos are neat. So are flutes and French horns.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Progishness
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:29
The trombone because it's such a mischievous instrument.

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:47
I'm sure I can recall many great wind instrument performances in prog, but Bill Hunt's French horn playing on the first ELO album is the only occasion on which I've actually felt instilled with a desire to learn to play said instrument. Such a lovely majestic sound...

-------------
https://mirasnelder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - Freelance composer, accepting commissions | https://mirasnelder.bandcamp.com/album/altered-acuity" rel="nofollow - New album!

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:48
Why no love for the heckelphone? :(

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:50
Bassoon me up, captain. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 16:07
Flute and sax mostly. Although bagpipes can be quite cool in prog; in fact, it's a lot of fun when you throw in the whole kitchen sink (flute, horns, strings, pipes, etc.)...

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 16:11
I thought I could do multiple votes here but I guess not. Flute is my favorite. Sax would be a close second although I think sax usually works better with jazz or fusion.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 18:22
More Bassoons!

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 21:32
The flute & clarinet in I Talk To The Wind, the descending flute part in Silently Falling.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 22:22
I love them all but flutes are probably the most prog

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 22:40
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I love them all but flutes are probably the most prog

And along with saxes probably the most widely used wind instruments in the world of prog.

-------------

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: June 10 2021 at 23:07
Flute has a special place in my heart during prog pieces. One of my all-time favorites, and go-to, to demonstrate this is Camel Supertwister:

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Hiram
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 00:11
No vote. I think any of them can sound great depending on how they're used. 

Ok, pan flutes never sound good and I'm not sure about bagpipes either... LOL

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 00:27
Voted Tuba because of SOT

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 01:24
The bass clarinet is probably my absolute favourite instrument to hear, so I voted for clarinets.
Clarinets in general evoke a really wonderful atmosphere and tone, but the bass clarinet is just damn sexy. It doesn’t burst bring joy to the cockles of my heart, but to the sub-cockle region, too.

Trumpets and trombones are probably next in my list. I love when bands forgo traditional instruments and use a trumpet and/or trombone instead.

Saxophone follows, and of course can vary wildly depending on what type of sax is played (or, of course how it is played).

Rounding out my top five is the euphonium, potentially for patriotic reasons, as so much of the music Don McGlashan has been a part of over the years, and across many groups, has included his wonderful playing of the euphonium.

I actually really like bagpipes in music, too, but I think most people tend to think of Scottish bagpipes, and I don’t think I own anything that has these bagpipes playing. However, I have a lot of music in my collection that use bagpipes from other countries. The bagpipes from different countries all sound quite different from each other.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 01:59
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I actually really like bagpipes in music, too, but I think most people tend to think of Scottish bagpipes, and I don’t think I own anything that has these bagpipes playing. However, I have a lot of music in my collection that use bagpipes from other countries. The bagpipes from different countries all sound quite different from each other.

I generally detest Scottish bagpipes, they always seem to make a sound (to my ears) resembling cats being strangled.  However Uilleann (Irish) pipes are a different kettle of fish entirely and I find them very soothing to listen to, and really learned to appreciate their beauty from being utilised on several Enya tracks .

-------------

Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 02:19
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I generally detest Scottish bagpipes, they always seem to make a sound (to my ears) resembling cats being strangled.  However Uilleann (Irish) pipes are a different kettle of fish entirely and I find them very soothing to listen to, and really learned to appreciate their beauty from being utilised on several Enya tracks .

I guess because I grew up in a very “Scottish” town, I’ve always liked the bagpipes. But I don’t really like them too much outside their traditional playing. There are a couple of exceptions where either bagpipes have been used, or guitars have been made to sound like bagpipes, that have been really effective, and that I absolutely love - but they are very much an exception.

But, apart from the Uillean pipes mentioned, there are a whole range of bagpipes across the world, that can often add a really neat flavour to the music. Smallman, for example, are a Bulgarian folk metal band that I first discovered by way of the following album, that uses Bulgarian bagpipes - гайда (gaida),

Gaida is a general term used for bagpipes across Southeastern Europe, but the sounds of individual gaida can differ quite a bit from country to country, even though the instruments tend to look very similar. This is because, eg, different countries treat the hide of the bags in different ways, and use different constructions, shapes and materials for the chanters. Even within Bulgaria there are two distinct types of gaida, that make very different sounds!

https://smallman.bandcamp.com/album/labyrinth-of-present" rel="nofollow - https://smallman.bandcamp.com/album/labyrinth-of-present

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 03:16
Maybe the flutes, but all are very welcome.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 03:17
Flutes all the way to my ears!

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 03:48
Prog gets interesting when it is not dominated by guitar.  Wind instrument dominated groups such as Univers Zero, Henry Cow, etc. however, tend not to be favoured at the 'rock' end of the equation.  Even the juxtaposition of trombone and guitar with Shub-Niggurath is not deemed palatable by many.  So, we get the preponderance of tedious 'prog metal' bands to satisfy our guitar cravings...

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 04:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think sax usually works better with jazz or fusion.

Or Van der Graaf Generator.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 04:06
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

the descending flute part in Silently Falling.

Good call. Clap

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 04:14

I thought I could do multiple votes here but I guess not.

I was also hoping for multiple votes because I don't think I can give just a single vote. However, if I'm forced to give a single vote, I think it would have to be the flute on "Warrior On The Edge Of Time". That flute made me realise more than anything else (including David Jackson) that if I were to start a rock band, it would have to have flute.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 04:46
I'm in the flute camp although I'd have hoped for multiple votes on this one. I'm a bit ambivalent on saxophones, they can  be great and they can annoy me, but I always love a good pipe organ, and oboes, bassoons and clarinets are also always welcome.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 05:36
Flutes. Although anything goes with prog!

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 05:57
I’m really surprised by how much flute is leading. I don’t dislike the flute in prog, but it often comes across to me as terribly cliché. That’s not to say I don’t like some prog that had flute, but more often than not, it turns me off rather than on.

I guess I probably expected flute to be in the lead, but definitely not by this much. Because of the way the question is worded, and because flute is the very first option, I do wonder how many people assumed this was a multiple vote poll, and voted for flute intending to vote for something else as well.

(I almost did this myself, and it was only because I was reading through the list to see what was included, that I didn’t. I was surprised to find that it wasn’t multiple vote after casting my vote, so I was very glad I had looked through the list first!)

-------------

Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 06:53

I’m really surprised by how much flute is leading. I don’t dislike the flute in prog, but it often comes across to me as terribly cliché. That’s not to say I don’t like some prog that had flute, but more often than not, it turns me off rather than on.

I guess I probably expected flute to be in the lead, but definitely not by this much. Because of the way the question is worded, and because flute is the very first option, I do wonder how many people assumed this was a multiple vote poll, and voted for flute intending to vote for something else as well.

(I almost did this myself, and it was only because I was reading through the list to see what was included, that I didn’t. I was surprised to find that it wasn’t multiple vote after casting my vote, so I was very glad I had looked through the list first!)

As I mentioned in my previous post, I would have voted for flute and sax; however, I think prog, perhaps more so than any other genre, made the flute something altogether different than a pretty side piece for pastoral larks. Sax has always been a prominent part of both rock and jazz, but the flute was brought to another level by bands like Jethro Tull and Focus. This weren't yer purty Moody Blues flute no more.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 13:45
Pan flutes just sound amazing (listen to Stationary Traveller for proof).
Bagpipes are great (but most users are in Gaelic or Folk Rock like Runrig or Wolfstone)  but Uillean Pipes are even better (as in Horslips or Mostly Autumn).
Flutes and saxes can be wonderful and bassoons, recorders and crumhorns are magical when Gryphon use them.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 14:06
I guess flutes and sax are the most obvious choices (votes confirming it). I do love flutes... and sax, it can be hit or miss... it can be great or very annoying. However, given how pipe organ is included, even though I don't know so many songs including it, it's got to be my choice... and how I wish it were more widely used (of course, I understand that's not easy at all).

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 17:51
Saxophone

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 18:40
Sax just a little bit ahead of flute. Both are great, though. I'm also a big fan of clarinet.

Want to acknowledge that I've heard some great use of brass in a few albums that helped open my ears to their effectiveness in prog settings:

French Horn: Maxophone - s/t
Trumpet: King Crimson - Red (Fallen Angel)
Trombone: Becoming the Archetype - Celestial Completion (Cardiac Rebellion)

-------------
May God bless you all in Jesus' name. No matter who you are, you're special, you're loved, and you matter.

Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 18:48
Tuba solo at 2:25....

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 23:29
I voted for bagpipes. But honestly, it all depends on the music and the performer.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: June 11 2021 at 23:52
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

The occasional KC appearance, too.

Also, anything with Wayne Shorter (obviously).

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: June 12 2021 at 00:55
My answer is yes.

Date Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:01

The bass clarinet is probably my absolute favourite instrument to hear, so I voted for clarinets.
Clarinets in general evoke a really wonderful atmosphere and tone, but the bass clarinet is just damn sexy. It doesn’t burst bring joy to the cockles of my heart, but to the sub-cockle region, too.

Trumpets and trombones are probably next in my list. I love when bands forgo traditional instruments and use a trumpet and/or trombone instead.

Saxophone follows, and of course can vary wildly depending on what type of sax is played (or, of course how it is played).

Rounding out my top five is the euphonium, potentially for patriotic reasons, as so much of the music Don McGlashan has been a part of over the years, and across many groups, has included his wonderful playing of the euphonium.

Like me, this is a terribly difficult poll to choose only one. Also, my tastes are pretty similar to yours. (One of my daughters played euphonium growing up--her choice!--and the another played oboe and, later, saxophones.) (The other two: cello & piano, and double bass.)

Like I said, though, cor anglais:  heavenly….

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:05
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Tuba solo at 2:25....

Tony's got such style!

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:18
I know I'm prone to do multiple votes polls quite often, but on this one I really wanted people to have to work: thus, the words of reasoning I'm seeing as you tease out your decisions! 

I, too, would have voted for multiple categories--many of them! But forced myself to really come up with my most prized sounds (and songs). The magic of Jon Hassell, Freddie Hubbard, Kenny Wheeler, Lee Laughnane, Herb Alpert, Miles Davis, Chris Botti, Paol Fresu on Huong Thanh's "Cây Truc Xinh (Le bambou gracieux)", Henry Lowther on Alan White's "Darkness", make the trumpet family the most impactful for me, though the flute and oboe families may be my favorites. I also LOVE me some baroque/"mediæval" recorder play and clarinets, bassoons, and all Middle Eastern/Indian, Asian woodwinds. I think it fair to say that you could probably take out the guitars in lieu of winds and I'd be a happy camper.

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:44
I have to say I’m disappointed I’m still the only vote for clarinets! 😄

Nothing beats a bass clarinet, and clarinets in general are the best….

Trumpets and trombones are fantastic, too!

-------------

Date Posted: June 13 2021 at 08:51
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

The occasional KC appearance, too.

Also, anything with Wayne Shorter (obviously).

Not to mention Dick Parry's stunning contributions to Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here.

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 13 2021 at 09:48
Tubas. I much prefer them in the alternative version of 21st Century Schizoid Man.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Lieutenant_Lan
Date Posted: September 15 2021 at 08:51
Flute. So good

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: September 30 2021 at 18:22
Not that I voted for it, but I'm glad the crumhorn was included, and even has 2 votes so far. What an odd looking older instrument, with it's humorous kazoo sound. I thank Gryphon and Malicorne for showcasing it in their music.

Posted By: Earl of Mar
Date Posted: October 02 2021 at 09:02
I am listening to BBT underfall yard remastered so its Brass today. Trumpet.

Posted By: SuperMetro
Date Posted: October 02 2021 at 15:28
I enjoy hearing flutes in prog rock. Especially Jethro Tull, Camel, and early King Crimson. Rhayader or Supertwister(Andy Latimer) is my highlight for Camel, The Court of The Crimson King(Ian MacDonald) for King Crimson, and probably Bouree or My God(Ian Anderson) for Jethro Tull. It is too bad rock bands do not usually have flutes in their line up, I suppose they are not a heavy metal instrument. 

Date Posted: October 02 2021 at 15:29
Peter Gabriel also plays the flute but I think I prefer the other guys over him. 

Date Posted: October 02 2021 at 15:30
Oh yes, now I am a senior!! 

Posted By: Umeda
Date Posted: October 02 2021 at 18:29
The clarinet in the 1977 track Quietest Moments by the Tramp is just too beautiful. Plus, I'm missing the Melodica in the list. 

-------------
Not for rent. To any God or government.

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: October 21 2021 at 10:22
Only 1 other lonely oboe supporter out there?  And where is the cor anglais?  I mean you've got didgeridoos.  I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Roy Wood is a killer bagpipes player.  I saw him play them in Scotland, naturally.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk