Print Page | Close Window

Yes~The Quest

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126815
Printed Date: May 19 2024 at 19:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes~The Quest
Posted By: Catcher10
Subject: Yes~The Quest
Date Posted: July 07 2021 at 15:24
Yes announce new album, The Quest.....no Jon Anderson. Lineup is Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downes, Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood. Release date set for October 2021

http://yesworld.com/2021/07/yes-announce-new-studio-album-the-quest" rel="nofollow - http://yesworld.com/2021/07/yes-announce-new-studio-album-the-quest

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 07 2021 at 15:34
it's the quest for... inspiration, probably. Evil Smile

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: July 07 2021 at 16:32
No!!!! :(

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 07 2021 at 16:44
lol as if anderson had any chance of being there. 

well, im sure this will go in the same pile as the previous god knows how many yes cds...listen once on youtube, laugh/cry about how terrible it is, never listen to it again. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: July 07 2021 at 16:50
It's gonna suck. Why does anybody get excited about dinosaurs making mammalian music?

Yes, of course is one of the best bands in the world regarding their classic era but why does anybody care now?

It's a brand name! I love Steve How but he's not relevant by modern progressive standards

If i'm wrong i'd be VERY HAPPY but my realistic expectations are that this WILL SUCK!

My advice: retire the YES brand and create YES derivative like Soft Machine did

Let's see

YES REVISITED

YES AFTER

YES MACHINE

YES NOT NO

YES (but not what you want!)

LOL

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: foregonillusions
Date Posted: July 07 2021 at 18:22
At least it's an excuse for more Roger Dean.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 07 2021 at 18:39
Sure, why not.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: July 07 2021 at 18:58
Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Uh, i think he has done more than Yes albums! Is he this desperate?

I can only hope that the music is as good as the album cover!

Like everyone else, i really WANT something good!

May it be so!

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2021 at 23:33
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Uh, i think he has done more than Yes albums! Is he this desperate?

There can never be enough of his works, is what I was implying. Also, money's money, and he probably knows that people will appreciate his drawings whether it adorns a stinker of an album or not. There's no downside to it.

Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 01:02
Not surprised at all by the responses so far. When I saw this my first reaction was simply....WHY??? How could you ever include this album with the classic Yes catalog, I don't think you can.
I've never been a huge Steve Howe fan, he's too trebly for me but he fits with Yes always has.

I can't say for sure this album will suck, there is a decent chance it will but these are accomplished musicians so I need to give them a chance. Could be labels are trying to send them a message too, no more Atlantic, ATCO but InsideOut is giving them a shot.

-------------

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 01:04
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

well, im sure this will go in the same pile as the previous god knows how many yes cds...listen once on youtube, laugh/cry about how terrible it is, never listen to it again. 

Yeah I have started doing this, but I don't think I managed to get though the first 2 tracks of Heaven and Earth, it felt like my life force was being sucked out of me!LOL

At least the press release implies that they will attempt to do Prog this time, as it will have extended instrumental breaks and keep the traditional Yes tropes. That being said I think Heaven and Earth had both those things as well...but I want to be positive!

I'm still hopeful they have another Magnification in them, which was a mostly solid set of songs plus 2-3 tracks that get close to the quality of their classic era.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 02:09
There was a time when I would have pre-ordered this but not after Heaven & Earth and the recent Arc of Life effort. I'll give it a listen and see.

Posted By: yogev
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 02:11
If I remmeber currectly, few years ago Allan White could'nt play drums. So its quite a suprise to see him on this new album. 

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I've never been a huge Steve Howe fan, he's too trebly for me but he fits with Yes always has.

I love Steve Howe... as a guitar player. He has a unique sound and technique. But as composer....... He has never been good at that (looking at his solo albums).

Posted By: SouthSideoftheSky
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 02:46

This is great news! I will definitely pre-order this.

Some people will always complain no matter what the band does. Personally, I think that a studio albums is exactly what is needed after all of these live albums. A band that exclusively plays live and don’t create any new material is basically just a tribute band to themselves. It is only by creating new music that a band stays relevant.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 08:06
Anyone who has listened to Love Is or the new DBA album knows that this band has a good album in them. Will we get it? That's the question. Steve Howe producing this is actually encouraging - anyone but Roy Thomas Baker!!! Steve hated Heaven & Earth so don't expect a repeat...

We shall see. And hear. (And cry. Probably.)

-------------
The Prog Corner

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 08:17
I vote for the Wait & Hear kind of attitude. This will be the 3rd Yes album including orchestral arrangements (feeding the optimistic dog).

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 08:37
Of course no Jon Anderson. He's banned from the band. Tongue

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 08:45
YES have never made a bad album (in my opinion) and I'm confident The Quest will be up to the same high standards as the previous Heaven & Earth album, so I'll be sure to re-Quest it at my local HMV record store, if they're still open. Smile

Posted By: Mirakaze
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 09:07
Not optimistic. It's like watching an octogenarian acrobat attempt to walk the tightrope one more time

-------------
https://mirasnelder.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - Freelance composer, accepting commissions | https://mirasnelder.bandcamp.com/album/altered-acuity" rel="nofollow - New album!

Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 11:36
I can't imagine pre-ordering this album, unless they are only going to make like 2,000 or so but it's not being labeled Limited Release. I suspect it will be available readily, and the CD may end up being discounted by November. 

Jon Anderson is the Voice of Yes, always will be. With Squire gone now it makes Jon even more important if they wanted to continue as Yes....I just have a hard time calling this lineup Yes.

-------------

Posted By: rik wilson
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 14:15
I like Roger Dean art on all their releases...I also recall he died a few years ago ,so, no new art.

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 15:02
Roger Dean is alive. Yes too. It's like if they do nothing, then they're dead, if they do something... they're dead too!

Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 20:42
Originally posted by rik wilson rik wilson wrote:

I like Roger Dean art on all their releases...I also recall he died a few years ago ,so, no new art.

Roger Dean did not die. You must be thinking of Storm Thorgerson who was born the same year as Roger but died in 2013.

Date Posted: July 08 2021 at 20:57
I can already predict the 1 star reviews pouring in just like Heaven and Earth

-------------

Posted By: Crimsoncrow
Date Posted: July 09 2021 at 01:12
Yes are one of my favorite bands and I will always love them, but in their history they have never been known for their good relationships within the band members. In my opinion, people on their age and achievements in the music career must have surpassed their ego and the conflicts of the past. I don't know who manages their management, but isn't it time for a second Union, in which everyone contributed to the name of this brand to get involved?
And yes, Jon Anderson is the voice of Yes, but he is also the soul of this band.

-------------
https://danieleliseevproject.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - https://danieleliseevproject.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: July 09 2021 at 02:48

I think with the covid lockdown they had more time to works the songs. I would be surprised that it's as bad as Heaven and Earth

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: July 09 2021 at 03:05

So he must have done The Quest album cover a few years before it was recorded then? Fortunately he is very much alive.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: July 09 2021 at 09:49
I'm going to reserve my judgment until I've heard the album. No sense in getting your underwear twisted around your head before you've even heard the album.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 09 2021 at 21:04
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I think with the covid lockdown they had more time to works the songs. I would be surprised that it's as bad as Heaven and Earth

Yeah, I find it difficult to imagine it being as underwhelming as the last one... yet, this time Billy Sherwood is fully on board, and whenever he's been involved with Yes the results have been rather underwhelming (except for the song The More we Live, which I do love).

Date Posted: July 09 2021 at 21:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Yeah, I find it difficult to imagine it being as underwhelming as the last one... yet, this time Billy Sherwood is fully on board, and whenever he's been involved with Yes the results have been rather underwhelming (except for the song The More we Live, which I do love).

Considering Sherwood collaborated with William Shatner doesn't exactly give him the best prog creds in the world! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2021 at 23:38
The more I think about Billy Sherwood, the more I think this is a mistake.... 

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2021 at 03:38

The Quest will only be the fourth new, full-length Yes studio album from the last 20 years; it's been seven years since the previous one. Yes studio albums don't exactly grow on trees these days. And now that they are finally breaking the silence, all people do is complain. I for one am happy that they still making new music, a new studio record is soo much more interesting to me than endless touring and live albums with subpar renditions of the classics.

Date Posted: July 10 2021 at 05:18

Chris Squire is sadly no longer with us, so making another album with him is obviously impossible. Squire wanted the band to continue, and before his death he appointed Sherwood to play the bass in his stead. I cannot think of anybody else that would have been a more obvious choice, not only because of Squire's wish, but also because he already had history with the band. Nobody else ticks those boxes.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 10 2021 at 06:58
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

This . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: July 10 2021 at 09:31
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Chris Squire is sadly no longer with us, so making another album with him is obviously impossible. Squire wanted the band to continue, and before his death he appointed Sherwood to play the bass in his stead. I cannot think of anybody else that would have been a more obvious choice, not only because of Squire's wish, but also because he already had history with the band. Nobody else ticks those boxes.

I hear you.....but honoring someone's wish does not mean this is the best for music creation going forward. I could think of several bass players that could contribute more from a performance level than Sherwood.

The more I think about this the more it really should have been a solo Howe album or call it something else than Yes.....Making a case for Sherwood is sad, the effort should be to make a case for Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman to return. And if Howe is really, really totally against Jon and Rick coming back then Yes is over.

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2021 at 10:34
^I disagree. Sherwood might not be perfect but he's a good fit for the band and he's the most logical choice as a successor to Chris. I don't think say Geddy Lee would be a better replacement for Chris (not to mention not appropriate). In this case I think of Yes as sort of like a company where you want to fill the higher positions with people who are already associated with or working within the company. 

As for the  Jon and Rick comment well I guess in your opinion Yes should have called it quits after Heaven and Earth (if not sooner). 

Date Posted: July 10 2021 at 14:26
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^I disagree. Sherwood might not be perfect but he's a good fit for the band and he's the most logical choice as a successor to Chris. I don't think say Geddy Lee would be a better replacement for Chris (not to mention not appropriate). In this case I think of Yes as sort of like a company where you want to fill the higher positions with people who are already associated with or working within the company. 

As for the  Jon and Rick comment well I guess in your opinion Yes should have called it quits after Heaven and Earth (if not sooner). 
Geddy I highly doubt would agree to assume Squire's role, sure he played with them at the RRHoF but that's not the same. I was not thinking Geddy Lee.......but I don't think Sherwood again, from a musical view, is that great, he's fine. Tony Levin would be able reproduce those monster bass licks. Logical only in that supposedly Chris wanted him in the band, they were friends.
We will see, maybe his playing will be better suited to the Yes sound today as I am sure Sherwood feels the pressure to perform like Squire.....See the issue is that Squire's sound was a huge, huge part of the Yes sound, it's what everyone talks about, it's the meat and bones of Yes. 
I don't care who you are, after 40+ years people want the classic Yes sound again, not Howe's sound which is much too trebly.

I'm hoping for a good record, but it won't be a Yes record.

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2021 at 17:04

Geddy I highly doubt would agree to assume Squire's role, sure he played with them at the RRHoF but that's not the same. I was not thinking Geddy Lee.......but I don't think Sherwood again, from a musical view, is that great, he's fine. Tony Levin would be able reproduce those monster bass licks. Logical only in that supposedly Chris wanted him in the band, they were friends.
We will see, maybe his playing will be better suited to the Yes sound today as I am sure Sherwood feels the pressure to perform like Squire.....See the issue is that Squire's sound was a huge, huge part of the Yes sound, it's what everyone talks about, it's the meat and bones of Yes. 
I don't care who you are, after 40+ years people want the classic Yes sound again, not Howe's sound which is much too trebly.

I take it you haven't seen Yes with Sherwood in the band? His sound is similar to Squire's but he's not a copycat. Apparently many fans would be upset with Billy if he deliberately tried to sound like Squire. 

Howe has been with the band on and off since 1971. Would you rather have Trevor Rabin on guitar? 

As for the name, I don't care much about that. If people don't want to call it a Yes record that's fine with me. I think of ABWH as a Yes album but many disagree with that sometimes because of semantics. Over on the rush fans website there's a poll and so far I don't think anyone on there thinks of this new one as being "the real Yes." I personally think they have a right to call themselves Yes since this band is descended from the Squire band but I seem to be in the minority these days. Of course I would prefer if Jon was in the band(and Rick too for that matter) but we all know that's probably not going to happen (especially not with Rick).

Date Posted: July 10 2021 at 20:14
About Sherwood, I'm more concerned about his contributions to writing and producing music, than his ability to play the bass.

Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 03:49

About Sherwood, I'm more concerned about his contributions to writing and producing music, than his ability to play the bass.

Look at the credits for Heaven & Earth and it should be clear that they needed another writer in the band. Of course nobody wants the new Yes material to sound like a Billy Sherwood solo album, so let's hope that they've taken a democratic approach when composing the new songs.

ARW failed to deliver a new studio album, so bringing Anderson and Wakeman back together with Howe would probably not have helped to make new music anyway.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 03:56

ARW failed to deliver a new studio album, so bringing Anderson and Wakeman back together with Howe would probably not have helped to make new music anyway.

how did they fail? They have not even tried... 

I hope they make a new record, just to annoy Howe... LOL

Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 04:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

how did they fail? They have not even tried... 

I hope they make a new record, just to annoy Howe... LOL

Well, they did two tours, and then it went quiet, and it's been a few years already now. I think it is safe to say that ARW is a thing of the past now, and no studio album resulted from that. Rabin has stated that they had three or four songs they were working on, but nobody was commited enough to do a full album.

But sure, me too I think that they should make a new record, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 07:18
I just hope the music has some inspiration, otherwise, I'm not going to waste my time with it.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 08:10

I can't imagine pre-ordering this album, unless they are only going to make like 2,000 or so but it's not being labeled Limited Release. I suspect it will be available readily, and the CD may end up being discounted by November. 

Jon Anderson is the Voice of Yes, always will be. With Squire gone now it makes Jon even more important if they wanted to continue as Yes....I just have a hard time calling this lineup Yes.

This ^

Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 08:59

I take it you haven't seen Yes with Sherwood in the band? His sound is similar to Squire's but he's not a copycat. Apparently many fans would be upset with Billy if he deliberately tried to sound like Squire. 

Howe has been with the band on and off since 1971. Would you rather have Trevor Rabin on guitar? 

As for the name, I don't care much about that. If people don't want to call it a Yes record that's fine with me. I think of ABWH as a Yes album but many disagree with that sometimes because of semantics. Over on the rush fans website there's a poll and so far I don't think anyone on there thinks of this new one as being "the real Yes." I personally think they have a right to call themselves Yes since this band is descended from the Squire band but I seem to be in the minority these days. Of course I would prefer if Jon was in the band(and Rick too for that matter) but we all know that's probably not going to happen (especially not with Rick).
I have not seen the band with Sherwood, don't think I would want to anymore. I've heard the studio music with Sherwood, and blame it on the mix or his playing but it's not beefy enough. The thick bass lines don't exist..........Last night I was spinning Fragile, Squire's playing is so amazing, clearly nobody can replace him but for sure, but there are bass players who have that thick, in your face bass licks.

I think Yes are turning into a cover band of themselves, I would not go see them unless Jon and Rick were apart of the live show.

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 10:25
I think Yes are turning into a cover band of themselves, I would not go see them unless Jon and Rick were apart of the live show.

I understand that opinion. I often feel that way myself. I've actually only seen Yes twice since the departure of Jon Anderson and I was underwhelmed both times. The first time was with Benoit. At that concert Styx were the opening band and blew Yes off the stage. I'm not the only one who thought that either. The second time was with Jon Davison and while this show was a bit better it was still far from the best Yes show I have been to. It was just after Chris passed away and there was a special video tribute to him with "onward" playing(not the band playing it just the recorded music). Toto was the opening band this time and I feel they were probably better than Yes also. 

Anyway, at the time I had a hard time accepting this band as the band I knew and loved. It didn't really feel like Yes to me. Since then I accept them as Yes but I don't have much desire to see them again in this configuration. However, I don't think I feel as strongly as you do and so I'll never say never. If their next album is great and they have a good opening act I might reconsider. 

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 10:41
^ Unlike Styx, Yes just hasn't been able to do a passable job with modernizing their sound and I think it's also the members too. Yes sound very tired, low energy, and they just don't have the dexterity they once did. Contrast that with the modern lineup of Styx, even if that band isn't your cup of tea, they consistently bring a great show and for my money, a strong recent output too that sounds fresh rather than watered down imitations of their best work. For example: Dennis Deyoungs recent solo output.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 11:41
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ Unlike Styx, Yes just hasn't been able to do a passable job with modernizing their sound and I think it's also the members too. Yes sound very tired, low energy, and they just don't have the dexterity they once did. Contrast that with the modern lineup of Styx, even if that band isn't your cup of tea, they consistently bring a great show and for my money, a strong recent output too that sounds fresh rather than watered down imitations of their best work. For example: Dennis Deyoungs recent solo output.

I'm not that familiar with modern Styx but I know what you mean and I agree. Imo Yes started to drop the ball after Jon Anderson left in 2008 or whenever it was due to health issues. The album fly from here was pretty good but live I think there was much to be desired. So yes, some bands are able to hold it together longer than others and Yes aren't really one of those bands unfortunately. I think even Rush had some trouble with this(mostly with maintaining high quality albums later on and not so much live shows which were always great when I saw them) but at least they more or less went out with a bang. 

Posted By: rik wilson
Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 12:57
I was wrong about Dean's death... misinformation,Sorry.

Date Posted: July 11 2021 at 14:45

I was wrong about Dean's death... misinformation,Sorry.

It's ok. I addressed that already though and said you probably got him mixed up with Storm Thorgerson (who did PF album covers among others). 

Date Posted: July 12 2021 at 08:44

I'm pumped to see Styx in September, will be my first time seeing them. The new album is rather good, both Tommy Shaw and JY have done a great job at keeping the music fresh and full of life as well they have brought on musicians who have filled the sound well, especially on drums. Hoping Chuck Panozzo makes it for this one....

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2021 at 19:30

Look at the credits for Heaven & Earth and it should be clear that they needed another writer in the band. Of course nobody wants the new Yes material to sound like a Billy Sherwood solo album, so let's hope that they've taken a democratic approach when composing the new songs.

Sure Yes needs help to do new music, since the 90's they have been using old unused music in order to coplete their albums... many times those have been the best songs, and now that they didn't use any such old songs on Heaven and Earth, it was clear they needed the help. Yet Sherwood isn't the answer. His own albums and projects have not been so great (at least not at the level we would want to for a Yes album), and even when he collaborated with Yes on The Ladder and Open you Eyes it didn't go well (two of my least favourite Yes albums)... I don't know how much he might have written for those albums, if anything at all, but he must have had something to do with the sound, the production, or something, because the vocals had the same sterile quality that his own projects have... and that guess what? if I remember correctly, Sherwood was responsible for the vocals production on Heaven and Earth... and it's just when the vocals come in on that album that any promise a song might have goes plummeting down.

Date Posted: July 12 2021 at 19:35
Why is it so hard for old horses to go out to the pasture and die? Everything has an expiration date.

I'm with those who consider Magnification their last great effort.

Perhaps they need an album called Nursing Home Nightmares.

It might be more appropriate.

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: July 12 2021 at 19:54

Why is it so hard for old horses to go out to the pasture and die? Everything has an expiration date.

LOL Great commentary! 

Some old horses are doing fine - King Crimson continues to amaze IMHO.  I've seen them twice in their recent incarnation (Jakko on backing guitar & lead vocals), they were superb both times.  

This is Howe's band, and I don't think he's proven himself to be a great bandleader - GTR blew up, Asia teetered and fell, his own solo projects don't impress etc.  

At least Sherwood has some cred from being a former band member - I just don't think he's all that good. There are many talented bassists who could do at least as well, although Squire was a unique genius for his playing and signing.  

We'll see, I'm not expecting much.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: July 12 2021 at 20:01
KC has displayed a longevity that's quite impressive for sure.

I'm not saying horses need to go die because of chronological age.

I'm talking about a complete collapse of creativity which makes them irrelevant.

Even David Bowie cranked out one of his best albums before he went bye bye.

Nothing against the Yes members but indeed Howe has been stale for quite some time now :(

-------------

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: July 12 2021 at 20:14

KC has displayed a longevity that's quite impressive for sure.

I'm not saying horses need to go die because of chronological age.

I'm talking about a complete collapse of creativity which makes them irrelevant.

Even David Bowie cranked out one of his best albums before he went bye bye.

Nothing against the Yes members but indeed Howe has been stale for quite some time now :(

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. There are plenty of bands who are still making good music despite how long they've been around; hell, one of Rush's most acclaimed albums was their final one! The issue lies more in how stale the songwriting is, and a band can go stale after their 2nd record or their 20th record. Just depends on what band you're talking about, and unfortunately Yes has been putting out duds for a few decades now. I'm really not excited for this new album, seeing as Steve How and Alan White are the only members left from the band's heyday (Geoff Downes doesn't count since the only classic Yes album he was on is Drama) 

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: July 12 2021 at 21:58
Prediction:  This will sound like a bad Asia album (for production value/song writing), with a voice that sounds like a flat Mickey Mouse.  

SO against this.  Get a new band name at least.  This smacks of desperation.  Not having it.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Date Posted: July 13 2021 at 03:17
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Prediction:  This will sound like a bad Asia album (for production value/song writing), with a voice that sounds like a flat Mickey Mouse.  

SO against this.  Get a new band name at least.  This smacks of desperation.  Not having it.
You might be right but there's no need to kill it off before it's even released. I will give it a few listens and see.

Date Posted: July 13 2021 at 09:54

Sure Yes needs help to do new music, since the 90's they have been using old unused music in order to coplete their albums... many times those have been the best songs, and now that they didn't use any such old songs on Heaven and Earth, it was clear they needed the help. Yet Sherwood isn't the answer. His own albums and projects have not been so great (at least not at the level we would want to for a Yes album), and even when he collaborated with Yes on The Ladder and Open you Eyes it didn't go well (two of my least favourite Yes albums)... I don't know how much he might have written for those albums, if anything at all, but he must have had something to do with the sound, the production, or something, because the vocals had the same sterile quality that his own projects have... and that guess what? if I remember correctly, Sherwood was responsible for the vocals production on Heaven and Earth... and it's just when the vocals come in on that album that any promise a song might have goes plummeting down.

I had to look this up: according to the album's wikipedia page, Sherwood did some of the mixing and also engineering of the backing vocals (not the lead vocals, as I understand it).

Anyway, if you don't like The Ladder or other 90's Yes albums, then you're probably not going to like the upcoming one either. Personally, I do like 90's Yes, and I hope that The Quest will be a bit like The Ladder Big smile

Date Posted: July 13 2021 at 09:58
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

LOL Great commentary! 

Some old horses are doing fine - King Crimson continues to amaze IMHO.  I've seen them twice in their recent incarnation (Jakko on backing guitar & lead vocals), they were superb both times.  

This is Howe's band, and I don't think he's proven himself to be a great bandleader - GTR blew up, Asia teetered and fell, his own solo projects don't impress etc.  

At least Sherwood has some cred from being a former band member - I just don't think he's all that good. There are many talented bassists who could do at least as well, although Squire was a unique genius for his playing and signing.  

We'll see, I'm not expecting much.  
I agree...
This is what I have been saying all along about Sherwood. But yet we have fans who are trying to defend him simply because he played with them already and it was Squire's wish for him to be in the band. If Sherwood helped write previous songs then the proof is in the pudding, it was not very good. Why would this new album be any different?
His playing is not that great, again maybe a better mix will help, maybe the engineer can push his volume up and put him more out front like Squire, we will see. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2021 at 10:10

If Sherwood helped write previous songs then the proof is in the pudding, it was not very good. Why would this new album be any different?

He did help write songs for the albums he was involved in, and if you don't like any of those albums, then you're probably not going to like The Quest. It all boils down to expectations, the best we can hope for I think is that the new album will be as good as the band's 90's albums. If that is not good enough, then don't bother. Personally, I like 90's Yes, and I "defend" Sherwood as the rightful heir to Squire, and the band's best bet to make new music. Yet, as I've said before, I hope that Sherwood's influence on the new songs will not be too big, and that they've taken a band approach to composing, because I want a Yes album, and not something that sounds like a Sherwood solo album.

Posted By: proghaven
Date Posted: July 14 2021 at 10:48
I think this will be something close to Fly From Here. No idea why so many people here expect another Heaven & Earth, I’d say that ‘masterpiece’ from 2014 was just an occasional shameful episode in the band’s biography, just a hackwork. I agree with those who call Jon Anderson the spirit of Yes. I even consider him the ESSENCE of Yes. But even Jon Anderson was involved in such a shameful affair as Big Generator. The most important moment IMHO is always WHO WROTE THE MUSIC. No matter if Steve Howe is a producer, the main composer for The Quest is (according to recent gossips) Geoff Downes. If so, I’d say it’s more or less optimistic news. Do you remember how he worked on Fly From Here? It was the main author of Drama doing his best to make something as close (musically) to The Yes Album or Fragile as he could. Was he successful? In my terms, yes he was. Even despite the absence of Jon Anderson, the band musically led by Downes created a quite listenable album quite in the vein of genuine Yes. Why should we now expect a worse result? Some participants of our discussion decisively declared that they are not ready to pre-order The Quest. I did not make a decision yet (I collect vinyl and strongly prefer limited versions, so my decision to pre-order will mean a decision to spend a decent amount...), but anyway I see no reason for pessimistic prognosis.

Date Posted: July 14 2021 at 12:35

If Sherwood helped write previous songs then the proof is in the pudding, it was not very good. Why would this new album be any different?

He did help write songs for the albums he was involved in, and if you don't like any of those albums, then you're probably not going to like The Quest. It all boils down to expectations, the best we can hope for I think is that the new album will be as good as the band's 90's albums. If that is not good enough, then don't bother. Personally, I like 90's Yes, and I "defend" Sherwood as the rightful heir to Squire, and the band's best bet to make new music. Yet, as I've said before, I hope that Sherwood's influence on the new songs will not be too big, and that they've taken a band approach to composing, because I want a Yes album, and not something that sounds like a Sherwood solo album.

I guess that settles it then....discussion over! LOL

-------------

Posted By: orthzar
Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 00:30
The first track, The Ice Bridge, just dropped on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tNZUv1L-c

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 04:27
Originally posted by orthzar orthzar wrote:

The first track, The Ice Bridge, just dropped on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tNZUv1L-c

First few seconds sounds like Fanfare For the Common Man

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 04:32
Listened to the new song, The Ice Bridge, I thought it was kinda meh. Not offensively terrible or anything, some ideas almost seem like they could lead somewhere cool. But ultimately, I think it’s somewhat subpar and underwhelming. I think after so much vocals dominating for the first chunk, I kept waiting for them to break out into a cool, gritty instrumental and it just never happened. These tracks need more variety in the rhythm section, Alan White holds down the same basic and steady rhythm for nearly the whole 7 minutes and though Billy Sherwoods bass sounds very Yes, it still kinda falls into the same camp.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 04:42

I don't hear Howe and Sherwood in the vocal harmonies. Wonder if that will be so on the other tracks as well...

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 08:15
New video just out

Not as bad as i feared but doesn't sound like Yes either

-------------

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 08:22
Howe here, there and everywhere Heart

But first and foremost, Geoff Downes in the foreground Approve Listen to that upfront call to arms....

I like it (like most YES, but, hey, I'm a fanboy)

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 09:15

New video just out

Does not sound like Yes because it is a cover band now. Again, no need to pre-order anything it will be available in bunches.
It's highly forgettable, Lord of the Rings type stuff or possibly Hackett fantasy running thru the forest with wolves.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 10:00
^ generic 21st century symphonic prog at best.

-------------

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 11:54

Again, no need to pre-order anything it will be available in bunches.
It's highly forgettable, Lord of the Rings type stuff or possibly Hackett fantasy running thru the forest with wolves.

You don't think there can be other reasons to pre-order something other than the fear that the thing in question will sell out and leave you without a copy? I will pre-order this album just so I get the album as soon as I can, that's it.

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 16:21

Again, no need to pre-order anything it will be available in bunches.

You don't think there can be other reasons to pre-order something other than the fear that the thing in question will sell out and leave you without a copy? I will pre-order this album just so I get the album as soon as I can, that's it.

Pretty much that's the only reason to pre-order something, that it will sell out. I highly doubt this sells out, unless they only press like 50 of them.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 17:19

New video just out

Does not sound like Yes because it is a cover band now. Again, no need to pre-order anything it will be available in bunches.

I got through about 6 minutes (but only because I was in another room doing something else). I would say it is boring and derivative. Musically, it sounds nothing like Yes. Thanks for sharing, I don't have to waste any money.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 22:16
I love Jon Davison's work with Glass Hammer, and it's disappointing to see this is what he's involved with. Yeah, it's a better than Heaven & Earth, but so is the cicadas' orchestra that plays every night.

Date Posted: July 23 2021 at 23:59
That new song sounds better than I feared, better than anything on Heaven and Earth, and better than most of what I have heard Billy Sherwood involved with (including with Yes). And Davidson sounds better than all I have heard him with Yes before (live included). So, I guess I'm at least convinced to buy the album.

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 02:32
The single sounds nothing like Yes but IMO it's not bad.

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 03:24
"It sounds nothing like Yes", well, not totally true, if it wasn't by Yes, certainly some would mention Yes as an influence. There's something in the general approach, the positivity, the way the instrumentalists go on about their business, even the vocals, that sounds quite yessy to me. And even if you don't agree, we wouldn't generally be complaining if a band shows some development, would we? I'm surely not a fan of Yes these days but leaving (wrong?) expectations aside, this is a solid prog song that even has some freshness to it. Neither have they descended into doing forgettable pop, nor do they just try to revive the old days. Fair play to them!

Posted By: yogev
Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 03:27
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

The single sounds nothing like Yes but IMO it's not bad.

Yeah It's OK, not so bad as we thought. But the problem I have with this song is that the playing sounded perfect, too perfect. The singer was loaded with auto tune.

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 05:07
Yeah, the autotune is used a bit excessively here.

-------------
— Ernest Vong

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 06:27
If I had heard this song blind and someone asked who the artist was, I would have likely answered that I don't know but artist is trying to sound like Yes. It's not a bad song but sterile in my opinion. The keyboards seem cheesy, like for an 80s TV show.

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 06:59
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

"It sounds nothing like Yes", well, not totally true, if it wasn't by Yes, certainly some would mention Yes as an influence. There's something in the general approach, the positivity, the way the instrumentalists go on about their business, even the vocals, that sounds quite yessy to me. And even if you don't agree, we wouldn't generally be complaining if a band shows some development, would we? I'm surely not a fan of Yes these days but leaving (wrong?) expectations aside, this is a solid prog song that even has some freshness to it. Neither have they descended into doing forgettable pop, nor do they just try to revive the old days. Fair play to them!

I think this is a fair assessment and I'm in agreement. 

-------------
----------

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 07:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7lvHY9_HHk

Yes’s new song has been widely accused in fan circles of nearly note for note plagiarism of this 1978 track by Francis Monkman of Curved Air and Sky, thoughts?

Geoff Downes has some explaining to do

-------------

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 07:17
^^ Yes, so am I (except for the fact that expectations can never be wrong: they can be high or low, they can be met or not, but they can never be wrong or right...they're just expectations).

What I hear in this song is a Steve Howe dominated track, and also a very present Geoff Downes... The others just follow. It is not forgettable pop because it's not pop, but to me it is very forgettable: Steve Howe does what he is doing since more than 40 years, Geoff Downes is stuck in the 80s... To me it sounds a bit if Howe teamed up with the Buggles, but it is very far from Adventourous things in Modern Recording. I will definitely listen to the rest of the album when it comes out, but if the rest is like this I won't buy it.

My take is that Yes is not innovating any more. They were, from one album to the next, always trying out new things, experimenting, both in their songwriting as in their playing. In my opinion they maintained this "progressive" stance (in the sense of continuing to experiment and innovate) up till the Talk album (with the exception, maybe, of Big Generator). I very much like the Maginification album, but I think they were already harking back more to what Yes was instead of going forward to what Yes could become next (and this harking back actually already happened with the ABWH-album, imho).
This sounds better than anything on the H&E album, which was a splendid proof of the possibility that really great musicians can put out mediocre music, but it is not original, creative and innovative enough for me to be convinced by it. I'll wait for the rest and see (hear)...

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 08:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7lvHY9_HHk

Yes’s new song has been widely accused in fan circles of nearly note for note plagiarism of this 1978 track by Francis Monkman of Curved Air and Sky, thoughts?

Geoff Downes has some explaining to do

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 08:56
Now having heard three different keyboard parts that seem to be copied from Francis Monkman's work (as others have noted here and elsewhere), and no evidence yet that credit is being given to Monkman as an adaptation of his work or that it was licensed from Bruton Music, I herewith change my opinion of this song. Geoffrey Downes has some explaining to do.

-------------
----------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 09:30
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Now having heard three different keyboard parts that seem to be copied from Francis Monkman's work (as others have noted here and elsewhere), and no evidence yet that credit is being given to Monkman as an adaptation of his work or that it was licensed from Bruton Music, I herewith change my opinion of this song. Geoffrey Downes has some explaining to do.

Yeah, that is hard to defend.

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 09:59
Just to add more to this story, from Downes' Twitter account:

Source:  https://twitter.com/asiageoff" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/asiageoff

I think we need more details.

-------------
----------

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 11:05

How long before someone makes a poll about which version of the song is preferred? LOL

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 12:04
I don’t know man, smells like BS. Francis Monkmans album was released in 1978 (the same year as his next release, strangely titled “Tempus Fugit.” He is listed as the writer of every track off both of those albums. Geoff has no writing credits on IMDB for before 1979. Something ain’t adding up here.

-------------

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 13:09
Well, I suppose that Downes very well knows what he has done when and that he also knows what others have done in the same period (or in other periods), so I tend to believe what he says. Maybe naively, but why would he lie? He knows that in our digital age everything gets uncovered by a click...

That said, it still doesn't sound original, which is actually explained by the fact that it dates from 1977 (!). Did I say something before about "harking back"...?

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 13:26
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Just to add more to this story, from Downes' Twitter account:

Source:  https://twitter.com/asiageoff" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/asiageoff

I think we need more details.

Trying to make a bag full of elephant dung smell like roses... 

-------------

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 13:59
First track released on YouTube.
Does anyone else hear a nod to Emerson in the opening synth line here?
Over all I am a little underwhelmed by this tune. It's not terrible or anything, just a little bland, as some Yes songs are. I need to hear more of the album. But from just this track a definite step up from Heaven and Earth.

And now listen to this ???

Geoff Downes on Twitter: "In regards to recent messages, the original idea for The Ice Bridge track appears on a 1977 showreel of mine at a time when I was composing jingles and library music for a West End music production company."

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 17:13
^Not sure about an Emerson nod. Yo me the beginning sounded more like it was going to be a cover of "The Final Countdown".

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 24 2021 at 18:27
I find it hilarious that his cruise ship cover band version of Yes is being accused of lifting someone's else's work. Remember when Yes was considered one of the most innovative and creative bands in progressive rock?

No need to reply, I was speaking rhetorically.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: July 25 2021 at 03:34
So, looking a bit further, there is an implication that Downes having written a showreel with the music in 1977 could have been appropriated by Monkman. The label Bruton Music on which Monkman's album was initially released in 1978 is one for producing library music. Here is a bio on the label.

Quote Bruton Music—or, to give it its full name, the Bruton Music Library—was founded in 1977 by Robin Phillips under the aegis of ATV boss Lord Lou Grade, and initially operated out of ATV’s offices in Bruton street in London. Before moving to Bruton, Philips was already a respected name in the field for his work at KPM Music, one of Britain’s longest-running and most respected sources of library music. He’d instituted revolutionary changes there, moving the company away from using 78 rpm records to the sturdier 33 rpm LPs, and was well-known for fostering the talents of his protégés, many of whom he took with him to Bruton.

It would be interesting to see whether a young Downes was working for either KPM or Bruton.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: July 25 2021 at 05:28
I wish I was more excited for this one (currently, I am much more interested in hearing the new Tull material!), but when I think of Yes, what comes to my mind is Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Chris Squire... I will try to hear this album when it comes out, then I will judge.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 25 2021 at 14:39
It's not Jonny's Quest?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Ktulugaz72
Date Posted: July 27 2021 at 01:40
Lol!!!!!!LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk