Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 21:23

another one

CTTE of course.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Laurent
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 21:26
^Sorry if this has been done before, but I used the search function and couldn't find anything.

-------------

Posted By: eduardossc
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 22:00

The very best prog prototipe VS. Prog-pop with simple choruses repeated over and over?

Tarkus has way more ideas in the first 10 minutes of the title track than all "Close to the edge" (album).

There is no need to argue. Just listen to the notes on Tarkus. Then listen to the "I get up I get down I get up I get down, I get up I get down , I get up I get down I get up I get down"., the "Close to the edge down by the corner, close to the edge down by the river" choruses repeated all over. Meanwhile, Tarkus never repeats a single word. That is called creativity and songwritting skills. In other words, "talent".

Posted By: texasron
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 22:25

Couldn't disagree more with you eduardossc

CTTE is the measuring stick the rest are trying to measure up against. Most, especially ELP fail. Does my disdain for ELP shine through?

-------------
PRAY! LISTEN! REPEAT!

Posted By: Pr@gmatic
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 22:35
CTTE of course.

But, I'm a big fan of Tarkus as well. Probably, my favorite ELP album.

Posted By: fender101
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 23:09
Originally posted by eduardossc eduardossc wrote:

The very best prog prototipe VS. Prog-pop with simple choruses repeated over and over?

Tarkus has way more ideas in the first 10 minutes of the title track than all "Close to the edge" (album).

There is no need to argue. Just listen to the notes on Tarkus. Then listen to the "I get up I get down I get up I get down, I get up I get down , I get up I get down I get up I get down"., the "Close to the edge down by the corner, close to the edge down by the river" choruses repeated all over. Meanwhile, Tarkus never repeats a single word. That is called creativity and songwritting skills. In other words, "talent".

Most elequently put I thought. I'm sorry its a really tough choice in fact I cant even come up with a reason that I like Tarkus more. I guess creativly it is better and musically I find it equal. I should pa more attention to the lyrics and then maybe I could make a more informed position.

I am a massive elphead though

-------------
Well McGarnical Billy is dead! They slit his throat from ear to ear!

Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 23:15
Close to the Edge, anyone who disagrees will be persecuted

-------------
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 00:29

Originally posted by Laurent Laurent wrote:

^Sorry if this has been done before, but I used the search function and couldn't find anything.

I meant there's a lot of those (song) vs. (song) threads.

CTTE is the peak of Yes's career, while I think KarnEvil9 is the peak of ELP's career. So, CTTE for me

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: rockandrail
Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 05:50
Close to the Edge is a good album. Tarkus is a good side one

-------------
Pierre R, the man who lost his signature

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 06:05

Hhmm....am not convinced by your attempted argument, and nor are my ears by listening to the music!

I do acknowledege that Yes music in large part is taking simple themes, repeating and re-arranging them and then re-arranging them over again - as an example Steve Howe's guitar intro on CTTE is put in a different key, a different time signature, and generally mangled by Wakeman when he solo's 3/4 way through.

And however strongly you may feel, saying "there is no need to argue" actually doesn't help your argument.....

And I think you'll find CTTE will win this poll by some margin....

ps I like Tarkus!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 06:29

Dark side of the moon

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 08:16

CTTE

Tarkus

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 08:51
CTTE and Tarkus are both great songs! But CTTE is the
ultimate song.

Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 09:20

Well, definitely most people like CTTE better than Tarkus. Iīll tell you why; Yes has always been more accesible than many other prog bands. Some may try to ignore it or just donīt want to see it, but those choruses repeated all over are just too pop. Thatīs why CTTE is so likeable.

Even among prog heads the melodic element is the most important. Plus, even among prog heads, there are some that are more conventional than others. Those who would rather listen to nice entertaining and sing along choruses will always choose CTTE vs tarkus.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 09:21
You only have to look at the PA chart to see that The Edge is going to win this one.

Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 09:35

Well, definitely most people like CTTE better than Tarkus. Iīll tell you why; Yes has always been more accesible than many other prog bands. Some may try to ignore it or just donīt want to see it, but those choruses repeated all over are just too pop. Thatīs why CTTE is so likeable.

Even among prog heads the melodic element is the most important. Plus, even among prog heads, there are some that are more conventional than others. Those who would rather listen to nice entertaining and sing along choruses will always choose CTTE vs tarkus.

Er.... have to disagree again....for me it took me several listenings to get into CTTE; I don't think it's easily accessible, whereas I found Tarkus the more accessible peice to get into...

Both are strong melodically, I think thats good!!

Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 10:12

Please donīt missunderstand me. I do like very much CTTE. Preciselly those POP elements are what make of it such an enjoyable song. A real 18 minute song. As Jon McFerrin says: "CTTE is an 18 minute song". And heīs right, the structure is just like a conventional pop song; Intro, development, Chorus, middle part, chorus, ending.

I just write on these album because I feel it gets more attention than it should.

Still, I think there is more passion and conviction in "Astrall traveler" from "Time and a word" ī70, than in CTTE. Itīs also more cimaginative and the atmosphere is more natural and honest. IMO

Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 10:32

Please donīt missunderstand me. I do like very much CTTE. Preciselly those POP elements are what make of it such an enjoyable song. A real 18 minute song. As Jon McFerrin says: "CTTE is an 18 minute song". And heīs right, the structure is just like a conventional pop song; Intro, development, Chorus, middle part, chorus, ending.

I just write on these album because I feel it gets more attention than it should.

Still, I think there is more passion and conviction in "Astrall traveler" from "Time and a word" ī70, than in CTTE. Itīs also more cimaginative and the atmosphere is more natural and honest. IMO

OK understand your point even if I don't fully agree!

Posted By: Cygnus
Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 11:50
CTTE for me...

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: October 07 2005 at 11:55

Having grown up with both and listened to both extensivly not too long ago.

Tarkus ROCKS!!!

I like CTTE but it does get stagnant to me in parts (Jon Anderson sings some of those parts with a monotone and at his range it is annoying). 

Tarkus is way more intense. 

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Posted By: jotah15
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 00:19

CCTE!!!

Posted By: yesman72
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 00:46
CTTE by a mile for me.

Posted By: bluetailfly
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 00:58
I love them both very passionately.

-------------
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 00:59
CLOSE TO THE EDGE...

-------------

Posted By: R o V e R
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 01:18

difficult poll

i love both the album

cant live without them

Posted By: Stiefel
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 03:36

i prefer ctte, tarkus has some filler in the second part

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 04:43
Close To The Edge will obviously cream Tarkus.Even though I'm an ELP fan I still voted for CTTE.

Posted By: Siberian Khatru
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 05:31
hmm well  Tarkus and CTTE are  wonderful songs and that is the only common trait of them so I don't see a point in this comparison...

I like Tarkus very much especially version  which is on Live In Poland
The shape of this version is quite similar to the one from Royal Albert hall but i doesn't contain
any  silly mistakes like some cheap digital leads instead of piano interlude (if you heard this you probably know what i'm talking about)

For me CTTE is the essence of progressive rock of the seventies. I had the oportunity to hear it
live during the Symphonic Tour and it was something not to forget

-------------
History recalls how great the fall can be
While everybody is sleeping, the boats put out to sea
Borne on the wings of time
It seemed the answers were so easy to find..

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 09:20
Yes beats ELP any day.

Posted By: Winterkaelte
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 09:52
I'll be the first to like them both equally .

-------------
-Lee Arkley

Posted By: Fitzcarraldo
Date Posted: October 08 2005 at 14:03

I enjoy them both very much too, but I rate the Tarkus suite higher than CTTE for its complexity, sheer raw energy, and the instrumentation. Not to mention that fact that it was (and still is) so original. But I like the way Garion81 put it: Tarkus ROCKS.

Posted By: margaret
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 11:04
WOW! I was going to do a poll on this, but figured I better check first if it had been done.

results......surprising.

-------------

Space is dark it is so endless
When you're lost it's so relentless
It is so big, it is small

Posted By: margaret
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 11:05
Originally posted by margaret margaret wrote:

WOW! I was going to do a poll on this, but figured I better check first if it had been done.

results......suprising.

voted for both. Both are amazing.

-------------

Space is dark it is so endless
When you're lost it's so relentless
It is so big, it is small

Posted By: DEzerov
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 12:15
apples and oranges.....t*tties and beer....Svedka and Hennessey....

I like both in all pairs, but they're too dissimilar to accurately compare.
I chose the third option.............

-------------
The moon is made by some lame cooper and you can see the idiot has no idea about moons at all - Nikolay Gogol

Posted By: Bones Rasta
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 14:49

the real question is at the time am in the mood for ELP or YES but i would say CTTE is what i listen to more

-------------
an open mind and an honest heart brings out the best in everyone.

Posted By: Proglover
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 14:56

UMMM...WRONG AGAIN!!!!............What YES did is called COMPOSITION...........there is a thing called...HAVING TOO MANY IDEAS IN A PIECE OF MUSIC.....that usually speaks of WEAK composition. I like both Tarkus and Close to The Edge...but first off... Tarkus is an album mostly of songs, with the exception of the first three tracks which are connected....but Close to Edge is only three tracks. There is certainly more unity of form and a stronger sense of direction in Close To The Edge than Tarkus......oh God this is why we need music education in public schools!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Proglover
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 15:00

You really have no idea of what you speak...................

Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 15:39
Originally posted by Proglover Proglover wrote:

You really have no idea of what you speak...................

Jajaja.....Iīm glad you replied.

The way I see it. An 18 minute SONG is too long ĄĄĄ. It may be entertaining as well, as "Close" is. But I could not imagine "Broken wings" by Mr. Mister as an 18 minute song with that middle section converted into a 5 minutes section just to make it last that long.

Of course, "Close" has way more instrumental arguments to keep the listener busy during 18 minutes despite that 5 minutes of quiet section in the middle.

Thatīs the problem with "Close", to me al least. That it is ONE single song with the number of ideas of only ONE song, lasting for 18 minutes ĄĄĄĄ. Now, thatīs not the problem. Most songs are only one song. In prog as you well know, one song may consist of many moods, with changing intensity. But "Close" has too little of that. Plus, it has those repetitive POP-like choruses over that conventional pop structure that make of "Close" a very predictable song.

Posted By: Dragon Phoenix
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 16:22
Of all the current CttE match-ups, this one is by far the easiest. I don't like ELP, I don't like Tarkus.

-------------
Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com

Posted By: Damen
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 17:41
I love Yes and ELP, but Close to the Edge pummels Tarkus.

-------------
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 17:50
close to the edge

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 08:12
I like them both equally, though I voted Tarkus, since it had only 9 votes

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: dima_olkov
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 08:34
I must admit that Tarkus is the greatest song by a good (not great) band ELP (although I can see lots and lots of raging fans of ELP on this portal), it is yet much inferior to a great band YES masterpiece Close to the edge which appears to be one of the greatest prog-epics ever written. 

-------------
PF, Genesis, KC, Yes, VdGG, GG, Camel, Jethro Tull

Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 11:13

Yesterday I listened very carefully to "Close". It sure is entertaining. The best part of the whole album is that minute from 6:00 to 7:00 when the drums and the bass start playing in a very unnusual way, very interesting. Also, with Jon singing "in different speeds".

Also, there is another great minute around the 15th, after the musicless middle section "I get up I get down,I get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get downI get up I get down", is great. With that synth sound by Wakeman giving the atmosphere little diversity, with the rest of the instruments playing hard, clean and powerful. Really really exciting.

However. After that splendid minute of passion, they repeat (copy-paste) the same theme in the beginning of the song. Which is great and entertaining. But a Poppy resort nonetheless.

Now, about that main chorus part. It sure is good, with the drums and bass playing a major role at giving the song a solid feeling. However, nothing in that playing is particularily amazing. The sound, the production and depth is great. But the actual playing is not that impressive. The instruments in the first 6 minutes after the pointless intro, are just playing along for the vocals. I mean, they are doing nothing but background, great background though. The real meat are those two minutes I mentioned.

The 3 minutes intro is actually a 2 minutes intro. ...I donīt know what to feel about it. On first listens it sounds incredible, until you realize it never changes. It has no songwriting nor diversity throughout. That quick guitar is technically impressive, but itīs always the same during the 2 minutes, the drums and bass sound is great but end loosing direction and justification. Well, there seems to be no real writting here, just a physical excercise. 

Those 2 minutes of real meat in "Close" are not match for Tarkus

Posted By: floydaholic
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 11:52
Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

I love Yes and ELP, but Close to the Edge pummels Tarkus.

-------------
I'll see you on the Darkside of the moon...

Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 11:59
^^Eduardo! You really do have a thing about CTTE!!

Anyhow when it comes to lyrics how about:

"Preacher said a prayer - save every single hair on his head - he's dead"

Wow! Stunning! Superb!

Posted By: nimrodel
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 12:04

tarkus of course.

it has been my favorite since the days i stardet progging.

-------------
We want... a shrubbery!

Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 12:14

Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

^^Eduardo! You really do have a thing about CTTE!!

Anyhow when it comes to lyrics how about:

"Preacher said a prayer - save every single hair on his head - he's dead"

Wow! Stunning! Superb!

Well Phil. Yes I do have a thing about CTTE. I canīt stand looking at it at the top of the list in this site. It is this thing I have for anything that is ussualy regarded as "the best", you know. Like in soccer, I hate the AMERICA team here in México, I hate the Cowboys for being that popular, I donīt like The Manchester because it has that same profile....

I do like YES, I could not hate them with that magical song "Astral traveller". And really appreciate CTTE. However i canīt dig this overwhelming partiality and preference yet. Give me one more week. I guess I wonīt be writting on every single poll I see about CTTE. .

About the lyrics. Well, there are ridiculuos lyrics in almost any song. To be honest, I canīt understand more than the 20% of them until I read the booklet. Still, "I get up, I get down" could have been written by a 1.5 year old child.

Posted By: ummagumma2112
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 12:15
Both are great songs, but I would have to go with Close to the Edge. IMHO one of the best prog epics ever written.

-------------
In her white lace
You can clearly see the lady sadly looking.
Saying that she'd take the blame
For the crucifixion of her own domain. - Yes

Posted By: krauthead
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 18:32
CTTE

-------------
*Dancing madly backwards on a sea of air* - Captain Beyond

Posted By: carlo394
Date Posted: October 17 2005 at 01:34
I like them both equally

-------------
ELP!!!!!!!!
-----------------------------Excuse me for the ungrammatical, I'm not English!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk