Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126940
Printed Date: June 11 2024 at 03:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Songs That Shaped Your Taste
Posted By: richardh
Subject: Songs That Shaped Your Taste
Date Posted: July 28 2021 at 16:20
I'm thinking any genre and stuff that you you probably heard on the radio.

I don't think anyone just tunes into 'prog' straight away , well I didn't. I used to listen to radio a lot as a teenager and only go to serious album listening much later.

I'll try and go chronologically for mine

The Beatles - Penny Lane
could have been any Beatles song but the trumpet is a big deal

The Rolling Stones - Jumping Jackflash
psychedelic music rules!

Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made For Walking
that fantastic descending bass line!

Keith West - Excerpt From A Teenage Opera
Probably the first prog track I ever heard

Queen - Seven Seas Of Rye
A very common gateway prog song

10CC - Rubber Bullets
And another very common gateway prog song

The Sweet - Fox On The Run
and again

then I saw ELP on the TV and was ready!

Replies:
Posted By: The Anders
Date Posted: July 28 2021 at 17:28
Don't know about songs as such, but certain bands, composers, albums or pieces clearly shaped my taste through the years.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 28 2021 at 18:16
Hi,

Hard to say ... but it was in Brazil that my musicla tastes were shaped, and we even got Beatles and Rolling Stones albums. But Brazil has always had a very lively and special music ability and talent, and I became aware of many popular folks, although only the names of Roberto Carlos and Maria Betania are still very vivid in mymind.

My dad's classical music collection started (sort of) in Brazil, and early enough I became aware of a lot of classical music. At 15 we came to America, and the first thing I heard was Blonde on Blonde immediately followed by The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Mike Bloomfield and others though I still listened to rock music and eventually heard things like The Nice, Fairport Convention and was also listening to Kinks and a few other English bands.

I specially liked The Nice and then later ELP, because they brought classical music to the foreground and were, basically, playing a new interpretation, which made a lot of sense for my ears, despite die hard folks thinking that the kids did not know what they were doing and were horrible playing the classical music.

By '68/'69 and beyong, I had graduated to the hipper stuff that was around, and stuck with it for a very long time, and then later in Santa Barbara the FM radio took its roots to the limit before the stations were all sold out to various conglomerates around/before the 80's.

If I was to point to a show, or something here or other, it would be SPACE PIRATE RADIO, that right from the start in January 1874 was ahead of its time, and presented more music and experimental stuff than you have ever considered or experience within a radio station or broadcast. Even today, no one can touch Guy's feel for music and presentation. It's not a "radio show" ... it's an EXPERIENCE. 

Music, for me, has always been about the Experience, not anything else, and sometimes there is this or that, or someone calls it this or that ... but it doesn't matter ... it's the experience that counts and the rest is not important, and I certainly do not care (or like) the numbers that try to convince the readership that something it better than the rest. SPR was never about who was best or worst. And you don't know how to experience music if you have not stuck through a couple of these shows.

The rest? Fancy words and cheap talk!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: July 28 2021 at 19:39
I started hearing records and collecting them when I was around 9 years old; I guess my taste was shaped in stages, and as I basically grew up in a small Ontario, Canada town, what I was exposed to was usually either Canadian or American. 
           Blood, Sweat and Tears hit "Spinning Wheel" was the first record I bought and loved in the fall of 1971, and it focused my attention on getting more radio hits on 45 rpm records.
               Then I heard Steppenwolf's hit "Magic Carpet Ride" and that solidified in me a taste for heavy rock.
    My mother bought me my first album, which was Steppenwolf's "Monster" and I loved it, and wanted more lps but was not allowed to get very many until I got older.
            Mom was not a music listener, bless her, but my Dad had a collection of 1940s jazz records by artists like Woody Herman and Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman, so though I found jazz a little challenging at such a young age, it had it's effect on me.
              Another song that helped shape my taste was Alice Cooper's School's Out, and here was a rocker I knew my parents would not approve of, but that is why I bought more records by that band, and they were my favorite for quite awhile.
              Now fast forward to the 1980s, and I was kind of burnt out on heavy rock and looking for something new and was in my early 20s and though not a specific song, but a movie -Amadeus-cemented in me a long standing love of "Classical Music", and especially Symphonies, with the 1st Symphony of Mahler, 9th Symphony of Bruckner and also falling in love with the Beethoven piano sonatas opened up a whole world to me, and I started to collect classical records in 1985.
               As for progressive rock, I had been superficially aware of it, but not much, and then a friend lent me a copy of Triumvirat's Ilusions On A Double Dimple in 1985 and I was awestruck! This  was what I had been missing all these years, and was so impressed that a band from way over in Germany could kindle such an experience that changed my life, and opened the floodgates for a permanent love of progressive music.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: July 28 2021 at 20:58
^Doug, I gotta ask, which small town are we talkin' aboot.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 29 2021 at 14:51
This is hard to say. There was several early things for me that I liked alot that helped get me into music in general, but my tastes have moved away from them shortly after I discovered the prog, so its hard for me to say that helped develop my taste. In that vein, I would have to go with the earliest stuff in the prog/jazz/avant-garde realm. So a few ideas off the top of my head that may or may not be accurate:

King Crimson - Indiscipline, 21st Century...
Frank Zappa - Inca Roads, Didja Get Any Onya?
Gentle Giant - Design, Knots
Henry Cow - Nirvana For Mice, Industry
Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun, Music For Han Bennink
Sun Ra - Space Is The Place, Yucatan
Penderecki - Threnody To The Victims...

And various pieces by Reich, Merzbow, Stravinsky, Ligeti, Coltrane, and things that we played when I was in middle school/high school band. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 29 2021 at 16:07
I got into prog at the age of 12 or so, there wasn't that much before, but surely there were The Beatles, Tomorrow Never Knows and some stuff in the Yellow Submarine film - Only a Northern Song, It's All Too Much for example. I also loved Abba and felt attracted to some more sophisticated stuff of them such as Eagle.
Then came Manfred Mann's Earthband's Watch album and some Pink Floyd. Echoes made a huge impression on  me but it wasn't the first I had heard and liked of them.

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: July 29 2021 at 16:18
Gershon Kingsley - Popcorn
Europe - The Final Countdown
Modern Talking - Brother Louie
Black - Everything is Coming Up Roses
The Prodigy - Firestarter
2 Unlimited - Twilight Zone
Metallica - No Remorse
Therion - Cults of the Shadow
Marillion - Pseudo Silk Kimono
Symphony X - Fallen

Posted By: Cboi Sandlin
Date Posted: July 29 2021 at 16:41
For me, the biggest infuence on me was Pink Floyd's "The Wall", and of course its main hit "Another Brick in the wall part 2". I hated school and all that, so after i heard "we dont need no education" i knew i had to get the whole album Tongue. So i bought the album on CD and it blew my mind, and after that i was addicted to Pink Floyd, by probably a month after i had first The Wall i had already listened to the rest of their albums several times. Instantly they became my favourite band, and they still are to this day. It was also because of Pink Floyd that i got into some of the more progressive bands and artists. It is because of that one album that i have such a love for prog rock and music in general. To me the wall will always be the best album of all time

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 29 2021 at 22:10
Key early songs that expanded my tastes towards progressive music:

Brown Shoes Don’t Make It
Have You Heard / The Voyage / Have You Heard
Echoes
I Am the Walrus
Departure from the Northern Wasteland
Equinoxe
Fresh Garbage

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 02 2021 at 02:22
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I got into prog at the age of 12 or so, there wasn't that much before, but surely there were The Beatles, Tomorrow Never Knows and some stuff in the Yellow Submarine film - Only a Northern Song, It's All Too Much for example. I also loved Abba and felt attracted to some more sophisticated stuff of them such as Eagle.
Then came Manfred Mann's Earthband's Watch album and some Pink Floyd. Echoes made a huge impression on  me but it wasn't the first I had heard and liked of them.

Manfred Mann's Earthband were also important to me. Blinded By The Light was played a lot on the radio and I loved that soaring synth sound especially.

Abba , I remember Waterloo when that first came out and could easily have added that to my list.

Date Posted: August 02 2021 at 02:29
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I started hearing records and collecting them when I was around 9 years old; I guess my taste was shaped in stages, and as I basically grew up in a small Ontario, Canada town, what I was exposed to was usually either Canadian or American. 
           Blood, Sweat and Tears hit "Spinning Wheel" was the first record I bought and loved in the fall of 1971, and it focused my attention on getting more radio hits on 45 rpm records.
               Then I heard Steppenwolf's hit "Magic Carpet Ride" and that solidified in me a taste for heavy rock.
    My mother bought me my first album, which was Steppenwolf's "Monster" and I loved it, and wanted more lps but was not allowed to get very many until I got older.
            Mom was not a music listener, bless her, but my Dad had a collection of 1940s jazz records by artists like Woody Herman and Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman, so though I found jazz a little challenging at such a young age, it had it's effect on me.
              Another song that helped shape my taste was Alice Cooper's School's Out, and here was a rocker I knew my parents would not approve of, but that is why I bought more records by that band, and they were my favorite for quite awhile.
              Now fast forward to the 1980s, and I was kind of burnt out on heavy rock and looking for something new and was in my early 20s and though not a specific song, but a movie -Amadeus-cemented in me a long standing love of "Classical Music", and especially Symphonies, with the 1st Symphony of Mahler, 9th Symphony of Bruckner and also falling in love with the Beethoven piano sonatas opened up a whole world to me, and I started to collect classical records in 1985.
               As for progressive rock, I had been superficially aware of it, but not much, and then a friend lent me a copy of Triumvirat's Ilusions On A Double Dimple in 1985 and I was awestruck! This  was what I had been missing all these years, and was so impressed that a band from way over in Germany could kindle such an experience that changed my life, and opened the floodgates for a permanent love of progressive music.

Yep good ole Alice Cooper. The end of that record is actually very 'prog' in certain respects (drumming mainly). He fronts a radio show over here and actually plays a lot of prog and seems very knowledgeable about it.

I was never exposed much to classic music that much as a child or young adult. I remember liking the Mars - The Bringer of War which was used quite a lot to promote sci-fi shows but that was about it.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: August 02 2021 at 05:51
"Silent Night" gave me my first exposure to the raw beauty and power of music--to the transformative effect that music could have--even when performed live, by one's own self.

"Puff the Magic Dragon" informed me that songs could tell a story--like a children's picture book--and the way that music could connect people (me with my mother).

The voice of radio music show host Karl Haas provided me with the awareness that a lot of work and thought (and other stuff) went into creating the music we hear on the radio.

Motown soul let me know the depths of emotion (and mischief) that could be expressed through music.

Marvin Gaye's album What's Going On? let me know that music could express pain and frustration in beautiful ways.

"Inna gadda da vida", "Closer to Home (I'm Your Captain)", "Stairway to Heaven", "Papa Was a Rolling Stone", and "American Pie" let me know that rock and roll didn't have to fit "hit radio" time limits.

"Nights in White Satin" always sucked me into a dreamy Lewis Carroll type of rabbit hole and the spit me out limp and ragged.

More than any song ever, "Bennie and the Jets" affected me so deeply, so singularly, so unexpectedly, and in so many ways that it is, without any doubt or hesitation, the single most powerful "first time" hearing event of my life. The indescipherable singing. The syncopated piano play. The "is it live--in front of an audience--or not?" feeling. The odd yet addictive chorus. The dramatic key shifts. The amazingly engaging and unusual outflow. The David Hentschel synthesizer. and so much more. To this day, I always turn it up and listen to it to its finish whenever I hear it.

"Gates of Delirium" was so powerful, so angular, took me on such a complete Tolkein-like journey, I think it changed my DNA. Could never play it as loud as I would liked to have heard it (and, sadly, never got to hear it performed live).

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: August 02 2021 at 07:40
For me, I guess, it's more albums or album sides than just particular songs. Those that were in my parents collection that appealed to me: Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel (for the melodies and the vocal harmonies), Tchaikovsky's Symphonie pathétique (for the symphonic qualities) and the sound-track of Jesus Christ Superstar (for the narrative quality and the distorted guitars, but not in a punk way... Somewhere in '77 or '78 we went to see the theatrical performance in London, which was very impressive for a kid of 9, 10 years old!). Then, some things that were on the radio, notably Pink Floyd's The Wall (I was 11, 12, by then), I discovered Alice Cooper's Halo of Flies that was very very intriguing. A year or so after that, my elder brother bought Kayak's Merlin album and I was especially mesmerized by the A side of that album, for how it combined those melodic, symphonic, rock and narrative qualities...
Then, through some of my friends I discovered a bit of Rush, Saga, Focus, Ekseption, Rainbow, before, at 15, entering a record shop to buy my first vinyl: I was hesitating between a Judas Priest album or Yes' 90125. I bought the latter and the rest is history...

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: Progishness
Date Posted: August 02 2021 at 08:05
Before I got into prog (which happened when I first heard 'Meddle' back in 1972), I'd say these are some of the key songs that influenced me.

How Much Is That Doggie in the Window? - Pattie Page (the first song I ever remember hearing on the radio)

My Boy Lollipop - Millie Small (the first song ever to truly excite me).

Zabadak - Dave Dee Dozy Beaky, Mick & Titch (just so hypnotic)

Eleanor Rigby - the Beatles (one of many Beatle songs that are outstanding for me)

A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum (beautiful Baroque rock/pop)

Nights in White Satin - The Moody Blues

Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield (still my favourite non-prog female singer of all time)

Amazing Grace - Judy Collins (possibly the most beautiful a capella recording ever)

In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry

I Hear You Knocking - Dave Edmunds (this marked the point when something clicked and I realised that rock & roll was quite wonderful)

My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

The Banner Man - Blue Mink (just a truly great happy sing-along anthem)

Get It On - T.Rex

Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who (just epic)

...which takes us through to the end of 1971, then round at the house of one of my school friends in early '72 I heard Meddle, and that was a total game changer for me, and still getting excited listening to prog almost 50 years on.

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 02 2021 at 08:20
Songs I remember, which I believe led me towards prog and hard rock...Going back to early childhood.

Crazy Horses - The Osmonds
Can you do it? - Geordie
No Milk Today - Hermans Hermits
Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles
Truck on Tyke - T-Rex
Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues
I can see for Miles - The Who
Bridge over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
This town aint big enough... - Sparks
Oxygene Pt4 - Jean Michel Jarre
Dooley Jones - Dr Hook
Girls school - Wings
A Salty Dog - Procol Harum
In Zaire - Johnny Wakelin
Germ Free Adolescent - X-Ray Spex
Forever Autumn - Justin Hayward
Making Plans for Nigel - XTC
Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
All Night Long - Rainbow
The man with the child in his eyes - Kate Bush

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: August 03 2021 at 16:12
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

More than any song ever, "Bennie and the Jets" affected me so deeply, so singularly, so unexpectedly, and in so many ways that it is, without any doubt or hesitation, the single most powerful "first time" hearing event of my life. The indescipherable singing. The syncopated piano play. The "is it live--in front of an audience--or not?" feeling. The odd yet addictive chorus. The dramatic key shifts. The amazingly engaging and unusual outflow. The David Hentschel synthesizer. and so much more. To this day, I always turn it up and listen to it to its finish whenever I hear it.

It's perhaps easy to forget just how clever Elton and Bernie were as song writers back in the day.
Probably the one that impacted me most was Philadelphia Freedom. It just has that almost indefinable quality that takes me away. Love the strings!

Date Posted: August 03 2021 at 16:18
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel (for the melodies and the vocal harmonies), 

I love that song to death although can't remember it it impacted me so much when I was young.

Also leads me to another great song of the late sixties Where Do You Go To My Lovely? by the British folkie Peter Sarstedt. Ones to listen to on a bleak rainy Sunday afternoon in a dark quiet room..

Date Posted: August 03 2021 at 16:21
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

Before I got into prog (which happened when I first heard 'Meddle' back in 1972), I'd say these are some of the key songs that influenced me.

How Much Is That Doggie in the Window? - Pattie Page (the first song I ever remember hearing on the radio)

My Boy Lollipop - Millie Small (the first song ever to truly excite me).

Zabadak - Dave Dee Dozy Beaky, Mick & Titch (just so hypnotic)

Eleanor Rigby - the Beatles (one of many Beatle songs that are outstanding for me)

A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum (beautiful Baroque rock/pop)

Nights in White Satin - The Moody Blues

Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield (still my favourite non-prog female singer of all time)

Amazing Grace - Judy Collins (possibly the most beautiful a capella recording ever)

In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry

I Hear You Knocking - Dave Edmunds (this marked the point when something clicked and I realised that rock & roll was quite wonderful)

My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

The Banner Man - Blue Mink (just a truly great happy sing-along anthem)

Get It On - T.Rex

Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who (just epic)

...which takes us through to the end of 1971, then round at the house of one of my school friends in early '72 I heard Meddle, and that was a total game changer for me, and still getting excited listening to prog almost 50 years on.

lots of interesting selections , but would like to pick up on Dave Edmunds. Quite an amazing guitarist , Sabre Dance (Love Sculpture) is an oft overlooked major event of prog rock imo

Date Posted: August 03 2021 at 16:24
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Songs I remember, which I believe led me towards prog and hard rock...Going back to early childhood.

Crazy Horses - The Osmonds

Clap Perhaps one of the greatest 'guilty pleasures' of the seventies LOL

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 03 2021 at 16:35
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I should probably add that at pretty much the same time prog came to me in the shape of Manfred Mann's Earthband and Pink Floyd, I also got into post punk. The Cure's Play for Today and Comsat Angels' Independence Day where super-influential songs. And also at that time I heard and was impressed by Wuthering Heights.

Date Posted: August 03 2021 at 16:39
^ I liked punk for the energy but struggled to take it that seriously aside from a few bands. Mirage by Siouxsie and The Banshees perhaps impacted me most in terms of taste and then No More Heroes. 
I didn't know what to make of Kate Bush in 1978 so mostly just ignored her lol!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk