"Rush's Geddy Lee 10 Bassists Who...

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126977
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 13:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Rush's Geddy Lee 10 Bassists Who...
Posted By: Catcher10
Subject: "Rush's Geddy Lee 10 Bassists Who...
Date Posted: August 03 2021 at 22:02
blew my mind.."

Nice list by Geddy Lee, not a big surprise but I was glad to see him giving props to Jeff Berlin and James Jamerson.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/geddy-lee-rush-best-bassists" rel="nofollow - https://www.musicradar.com/news/geddy-lee-rush-best-bassists

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 01:10
Thanks, that is a fine list, very close to one I would pick! 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 06:13
i knew chris squire would be on the list

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 07:23
Good list. Surprised to see Jack Cassidy on there, a name you don't always hear. 

Posted By: Cboi Sandlin
Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 08:45
Wow no Paul Mcartney. Most of these kinds of lists have him on there.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 08:58
Maybe the most memorable line in the entire article:

"But it’s important to remember John Paul Jones wouldn’t have played like that if it wasn’t for James Jamerson."

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 09:21
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

For the love of God, why would he HAVE to be on this list Dead Confused. He's not a great bass player like the ones in the list, not even close to drinking their bath water.

Members of Rush have rarely cited any influence from the Fab Four for their playing or music writing. They were hard rockers when first starting out....Take a listen to their album Feedback, that is what influenced them in the early days.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 09:23
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

"But it’s important to remember John Paul Jones wouldn’t have played like that if it wasn’t for James Jamerson."

Spot on!!! I was really glad he gave props to Jamerson. Geddy has a deep understanding of where the bass sound came from.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 10:08
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

For the love of God, why would he HAVE to be on this list Dead Confused. He's not a great bass player like the ones in the list, not even close to drinking their bath water.

Members of Rush have rarely cited any influence from the Fab Four for their playing or music writing. They were hard rockers when first starting out....Take a listen to their album Feedback, that is what influenced them in the early days.

Nothing against Cboi, but people shouldn't automatically expect Sir Paul to make every bassists' choice poll. Like you said, Rush were hard rockers and even pre-Net I knew that Geddy's bass influences were obviously Ox, JPJ and Jack Bruce.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 10:10

Spot on!!! I was really glad he gave props to Jamerson. Geddy has a deep understanding of where the bass sound came from.

Absolutely. I love the Jaco story. Jaco was a genuine prodigy. He quickly mastered the instrument and was even giving instruction at the university level before he was a recording artist.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 10:39
Good list, certainly a great group of bass players to be influenced by.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 11:09
Great list.  Just purchased a Bill Bruford DVD, starring Berlin.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: August 04 2021 at 15:57
Interesting list, indeed.....

I have always wondered if Geddy Lee was familiar with Triumvirat bassist/lead vocalist/6 and 12 string guitarist the late Helmut Koellen, and if so, what he thought of him? Not that I expected Helmut to be on the list, as he is so overlooked, in general.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 05 2021 at 08:56
James Jamerson was recently lauded by McCartney in the program McCartney 3,2,1.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 05 2021 at 23:57
McCartney is a great songwriter that's also a competent bass player, but he's not a on par with anyone on these lists IMHO.

Great list, Geddy!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 06 2021 at 05:05
Les Claypole is an interesting selection , assuming that such a thing is possible on a list of bass players!

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: August 06 2021 at 08:26
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Interesting list, indeed.....

I have always wondered if Geddy Lee was familiar with Triumvirat bassist/lead vocalist/6 and 12 string guitarist the late Helmut Koellen, and if so, what he thought of him? Not that I expected Helmut to be on the list, as he is so overlooked, in general.

Helmut Köllen <3. BTW, speaking of overlooked German prog bass players, Harald Bareth of Anyone's Daughter was incredible.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 06 2021 at 08:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Les Claypole is an interesting selection , assuming that such a thing is possible on a list of bass players!

Shocked

Date Posted: August 06 2021 at 09:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Les is a bass player, lead vocals and songwriter for Primus, Primus has that funky metal style of playing. It makes sense that Geddy enjoys his playing style and that he does lead vocals too. Primus/Les brings in that modern band appreciation that Geddy has for them.
Just liking a band/musician from the 60s-70s is kinda boring....I'm sure Geddy's kids think he is way cooler for liking Primus LOL

-------------

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: August 10 2021 at 05:06
I've been a Percy Jones fan, myself

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 11 2022 at 15:14
No love for Mike Rutherford?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 02:54
Surprised not to see Tony Levin on there, he's an astonishingly good player.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 05:09
Another highly overlooked bassist.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 05:23
I reckon Homer was miming to this guy!!!

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 06:31
Very surprised to see Jack Casady on the list.  Jack Casady is often overlooked by all but some of the very best in the business.  Anthony Jackson (who I consider to be the best bass player still alive) has credited Jack Casady as a major influence.

Jack Casady - part 3: Guild Starfire, Guild V | Jefferson airplane, Hot  tuna, Grace slick  Jack Casady

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 09:13
Hi,

That is a very nice list, however, for my tastes it does not spread enough around other music that can be found in this world.

A couple more:

Hellmut Hattler (Kraan)
Lothar Meid (AD2) (Listen to MM thing on DotL)
Holger Czukay (Can ... specially the early solo albums)
Pekka Pohjola (Wigwam and Mike Oldfield)
John Glascock (Carmen, Jethro Tull)
Charlie Haden (ECM)
Eberhard Weber (ECM)
Mike Howlett (did he ever miss a note?)
Zeca Assumpcao (Gismonti and the most incredible list of folks he played with)

I like the fact that Jack Casady is not ignored as he was doing all this at a time that we did not even think the bass was an instrument, so to speak! Those early albums by JA are a must have.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 09:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

That is a very nice list, however, for my tastes it does not spread enough around other music that can be found in this world.

A couple more:

Hellmut Hattler (Kraan)
Lothar Meid (AD2) (Listen to MM thing on DotL)
Holger Czukay (Can ... specially the early solo albums)
Pekka Pohjola (Wigwam and Mike Oldfield)
John Glascock (Carmen, Jethro Tull)
Charlie Haden (ECM)
Eberhard Weber (ECM)
Mike Howlett (did he ever miss a note?)
Zeca Assumpcao (Gismonti and the most incredible list of folks he played with)

I like the fact that Jack Casady is not ignored as he was doing all this at a time that we did not even think the bass was an instrument, so to speak! Those early albums by JA are a must have.

Lothar Meid was also astounding on the Klaus Doldinger's Passport debut album "Doldinger" from 1971, which I listen to avidly. Eberhard Weber is great, especially on his album "The Colours Of Chloe", which I have and love.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 10:16
In the reasonable eager people are lifting up, in a good wqy James Jamerson, a player like Bob Babbit is often neglegated, a solid bass player of same school and company, with a thick sound which inspired me.

-------------

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 19:17
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

In the reasonable eager people are lifting up, in a good wqy James Jamerson, a player like Bob Babbit is often neglegated, a solid bass player of same school and company, with a thick sound which inspired me.
Bob Babbitt was amazing and didn't get the recognition he deserved because he stood in the shadow of James Jamerson.  Many times, I prefer to hear Babbitt, like on this one:

Posted By: darksinger
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 20:23

blew my mind.."

Nice list by Geddy Lee, not a big surprise but I was glad to see him giving props to Jeff Berlin and James Jamerson.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/geddy-lee-rush-best-bassists" rel="nofollow - https://www.musicradar.com/news/geddy-lee-rush-best-bassists

that he put Jack Casady as number one is an awesomely pleasant surprise! I have been a Jefferson Airplane fan for around 40 years or so and still think they are the trippiest of the bands of the 60's. Jack is a highly underrated bassist and deserves a lot more recognition for just how experimental and excellent he is.

-------------

Date Posted: April 13 2022 at 07:11
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Hi,

He's had a storied career, but I'm not sure he is one of the best. Even though he has never been asked or invited, I actually think that DON SCHIFF is a much better, and completely underrated Stick player ... and his resume is huge, and likely bigger than Tony's. He has not had the chance to play with the Stickmen, and in my mind I have the funny idea that he is not interested in the "fame" side of things, and sticks to his work.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 16 2022 at 10:02
Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

blew my mind.."

that he put Jack Casady as number one is an awesomely pleasant surprise! I have been a Jefferson Airplane fan for around 40 years or so and still think they are the trippiest of the bands of the 60's. Jack is a highly underrated bassist and deserves a lot more recognition for just how experimental and excellent he is.

here, here!

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2022 at 11:15

Hi,

He's had a storied career, but I'm not sure he is one of the best. Even though he has never been asked or invited, I actually think that DON SCHIFF is a much better, and completely underrated Stick player ... and his resume is huge, and likely bigger than Tony's. He has not had the chance to play with the Stickmen, and in my mind I have the funny idea that he is not interested in the "fame" side of things, and sticks to his work.

Lee Sklar's list of credits is bigger than either, and he's easily one of the best out there.

Btw, also a Don Schiff fan. But there's no reason to knock Tony (after all, he's the first guy you hear on Side A of Discipline, right?)

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2022 at 14:38

Hi,

Lee Sklar's list of credits is bigger than either, and he's easily one of the best out there.

Btw, also a Don Schiff fan. But there's no reason to knock Tony (after all, he's the first guy you hear on Side A of Discipline, right?)
Big Tony fan here!! Hoping he is the bass player on the upcoming PT tour.

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 16 2022 at 18:07
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

And throw in the incredible Mick Karn and his wobbly fretless playing. He was also great to watch play, he often was one with his instrument. RIP 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: April 17 2022 at 07:27
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

And throw in the incredible Mick Karn and his wobbly fretless playing. He was also great to watch play, he often was one with his instrument. RIP 

Hi,

Lee Sklar deserves the mention, and it was not intentional that I left him behind, except that I do not have a lot of his work, despite so much of it being famous stuff. I tend to not pay attention (too much anyway) to stuff that is a hit or famous ... I get tired of it quickly!

Mick Karn is fantastic and I wish I had remembered to add him. His stuff in so many solo things released much later, are now showing something that we were not aware of at the time, and perhaps he did not have the freedom that he needed/wanted within a group atmosphere. The solo material is fantastic and deserves better listening than ignorance!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: April 22 2022 at 15:13
Geddy did come up with a great list.

I'll echo the Percy Jones sentiment-truly mind-blowing what he does with a bass. He's an under-recognized all-time great.

Tony Levin also deserves major accolades. I loved seeing him with Crimson just before Covid broke out-the range of the Chapman Stick is certainly best experienced live. The first time I saw him was with Peter Gabriel on the Security tour. His playing is always a revelation.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk