Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127157
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 15:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: key solos: The Cinema Show vs. Supper's Ready
Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Subject: key solos: The Cinema Show vs. Supper's Ready
Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 13:10
Tony Banks isn't the flashiest, but I find his solos extremely satisfying.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 13:16
Apocalypse 9/8 over any other keyboard solo, but the one in The Cinema Show is also top 3 for me.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 13:28
Both . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 14:04
Tough one to choose. I'll go with Cinema Show, but by a very narrow margin.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 14:55
Hard to choose. Supper’s Ready takes my vote, but certainly Cinema show is a great one too.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 15:39
Well, there's no synthesizer on Supper's Ready(Tony was pretty late in buying one)but it's still a very good keyboard solo. I'll have to think about this one.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 21:03
With Tony Banks it's more about the "what" he's doing rather than the "how" he's doing it and since soloing is more about the "how" I don't really see Tony Banks as a soloist in the same breath as Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson. However both keyboard sections of Supper's Ready and Cinema Show showcase Tony Banks' brilliance as a keyboardist and of the two I prefer Supper's Ready.

Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 21:32
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

With Tony Banks it's more about the "what" he's doing rather than the "how" he's doing it and since soloing is more about the "how" I don't really see Tony Banks as a soloist in the same breath as Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson. However both keyboard sections of Supper's Ready and Cinema Show showcase Tony Banks' brilliance as a keyboardist and of the two I prefer Supper's Ready.

Care to elaborate on what you mean by the "what" and the "how?" I'm not sure I really understand. Sure he's not super flashy like Emerson or Wakeman, but he did a lot of keyboard solos and I think most of them are very effective.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 23:24
Apocalypse 9/8 is a better section/piece, but the Cinema Show solo is Banks' finest hour with Genesis IMHO.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 26 2021 at 23:30
Cinema Show

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: August 27 2021 at 02:24
Wasn't his first ever solo in 'Stagnation'?  If you read about it, he was a reluctant solo-ist so really these two pieces are remarkable and show a progession that possibly peaks on Abacab (the album).

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: August 27 2021 at 02:47
The Cinema Show, too.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 27 2021 at 03:30
the cinema show

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: August 27 2021 at 03:31
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Tough one to choose. I'll go with Cinema Show, but by a very narrow margin.

This. They are both great, but I had to listen to them both a few moments ago to get a direct comparison. Today it's Cinema Show, but some other day it might be Supper's Ready.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 27 2021 at 03:41
Cinema Show is more inventive and tuneful for me, so that.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 27 2021 at 05:28
I wonder if In The Cage should have been included for a trio?

anyway Apocalypse 9/8 certainly , so imitated by neo prog bands it's ridiculous!

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 27 2021 at 07:39
Cinema Show is the most well thought out solo by anyone---it goes thru many emotions and dramatic sections.
I think it is amazing.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 27 2021 at 12:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

anyway Apocalypse 9/8 certainly , so imitated by neo prog bands it's ridiculous!

Other good ones are firth of fifth (piano intro especially), can utility and the coastliners, colony of slippermen and unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth(the in that quiet earth section).

Anyway, I voted for cinema show.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 27 2021 at 23:20
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Care to elaborate on what you mean by the "what" and the "how?" I'm not sure I really understand. Sure he's not super flashy like Emerson or Wakeman, but he did a lot of keyboard solos and I think most of them are very effective.
Not even sure what I was saying it when I wrote it. It's that part of music that's indefinable. When I listen to Tony Banks playing a keyboard solo I don't hear it as a solo. I hear it as a piece of music that's integral to the song as a whole. When Steve Hackett plays a solo everything appears to stop and we can even forget for a moment what piece of music he's playing. When Tony Banks plays piano chords he immediately draws you into the song. His notes are the song. To take an extreme opposite, when Jordan Rudess plays the keys everything he appears to do is soloing around the other members of the band. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 28 2021 at 02:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Other good ones are firth of fifth (piano intro especially), can utility and the coastliners, colony of slippermen and unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth(the in that quiet earth section).

Anyway, I voted for cinema show.

all great onesThumbs Up

Date Posted: August 28 2021 at 02:43
WOW I did not expect Cinema Show to eclipse 9/8 here!

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2021 at 18:09
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I had a feeling it might. A lot of people aren't too impressed without using a proper synthesizer. Regardless of the limited tones, I think Apocolypse in 9/8 is both better composed and far more impressive considering Tony plays as though he's not in an odd time signature for most of the solo and still lands on his feet every time.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2021 at 01:47

I had a feeling it might. A lot of people aren't too impressed without using a proper synthesizer. Regardless of the limited tones, I think Apocolypse in 9/8 is both better composed and far more impressive considering Tony plays as though he's not in an odd time signature for most of the solo and still lands on his feet every time.

Plus you can explain the 9/8 and actually count it out to someone that doesn't know what that is.

One-Two-Three-Four-FIVE-Six-Sev-Eight-NINE and repeat! Cool

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2021 at 02:54

Plus you can explain the 9/8 and actually count it out to someone that doesn't know what that is.

One-Two-Three-Four-FIVE-Six-Sev-Eight-NINE and repeat! Cool

By the way, I love the quote in your signature! Kmac is hilarious.

-------------

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: September 02 2021 at 06:00
Cinema Show, one of the best by anyone IMHO

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk