Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127206
Printed Date: April 15 2024 at 22:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Worst Camel Songs?
Posted By: SuperMetro
Subject: Worst Camel Songs?
Date Posted: September 02 2021 at 19:26
What are you guys least favorite Camel songs. Songs I hate from Camel include Remote Romance, Your Love is Stranger than Mine, and also You Are the One. Neon Magic sucks too, but I like when the Rhayader theme plays at the end of it. 

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 02 2021 at 20:21
I can’t say I hate any of their songs. some I like more than others, of course, but don’t really hate any.

Posted By: zbida
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 02:47
I don't hate any music at all, simply don't listen to it if music don't fit my tastes. Buty as a great fan of Camel must say that like the whole material by them and adore most of it, but... definitely can't stand the only one track. Remote Romance must be terrible mistake made by Camel in the moment of complete... madness?

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 03:01
Remote Romance is a Camel song I don't remotely love, but I really DO like Your Love is Stranger than Mine, You Are the One & Neon Magic. Smile

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 05:37
Your Love is Stranger than Mine isn't a bad song but for Camel standards, it's IMHO sub par.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 06:19
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I can’t say I hate any of their songs. some I like more than others, of course, but don’t really hate any.

this! 

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 07:20
just Remote Romance really, but I don't begrudge them trying it out

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 07:26
Can't say that I hate any of their songs. There are some that don't spend any time on the turntable, but it's more a matter of preference.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 07:29
I just heard Sasquatch for the first time.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 08:04
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I just heard Sasquatch for the first time.

There's quite some space below it. Tongue

@Topic: I'm not keen on those listed in the first posting, but generally when I don't like something much, I tend to skip it or not pay attention, which leaves me with a very limited competence regarding what's the worst of pretty much anything.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 11:09
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I just heard Sasquatch for the first time.

There's quite some space below it. Tongue

@Topic: I'm not keen on those listed in the first posting, but generally when I don't like something much, I tend to skip it or not pay attention, which leaves me with a very limited competence regarding what's the worst of pretty much anything.

Sasquatch is often considered to be one of the and THE best track from The Single Factor, but it is not generally a highly regarded album (lowest rated).

By the way, some of the worst songs by a band I will love despite and maybe because of the badness (songs of the so bad they are good variety).  Heck, the Shagg's Philosophy of the World is genuinely one of my favourite albums.  A film I love The Room for its ineptitude.  I can't think of anything I "hate" (to use OP terminology) from Camel (music does not tend to elicit such an emotional reaction from me) but there is plenty of stuff I do find bland and insipid and is just not to my tastes.  I might still quite like those at different times.

Looking at this topic,  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123871" rel="nofollow - Ranking Every Single Camel Song which I know the OP responded to, that worst song, "Remote Romance" I actually like (that's a good bad for me). It tickles a certain bone, probably my funny one in a way.

Camel is not a band that I am so into to easily have a worst.  But even with my favourite bands, those worst I find certain absurdist pleasure in -- a rather masochistic or perverse pleasure some might say.

-------------
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 12:03
Remote Romance

Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 12:16
"It's automatic
There's too much static
Ooh your signal's fading
Down goes my rating
Ooh your signal's fading"
-"Camel"

Yeah the song is talking to itself. It's signal is fading as well. EDIT: Woohoo, I am a groupie!

Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 12:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Remote Romance is a Camel song I don't remotely love, but I really DO like Your Love is Stranger than Mine, You Are the One & Neon Magic. Smile

I saw that you said that Your Love is Stranger Than Mine was your favorite track off that album. http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123871

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 12:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Remote Romance

There's too much static
Ooh your signal's fading
Down goes my rating

I won't repeat it
I won't repeat it. Wink

Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 13:44
I can see by it's quality, take a long while, the words that come through, I see that their true... That Remote Romance is bad. 

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 15:26
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

"<span jsname="YS01Ge" style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">It's automatic</span><br style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><span jsname="YS01Ge" style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">There's too much static</span><br style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><span jsname="YS01Ge" style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Ooh your signal's fading</span><br style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><span jsname="YS01Ge" style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Down goes my rating</span><br style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><span jsname="YS01Ge" style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Ooh your signal's fading"</span>
<span jsname="YS01Ge" style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">-"Camel"</span>
<span jsname="YS01Ge" style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
</span>
<span jsname="YS01Ge" style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: Roboto, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Yeah the song is talking to itself. It's signal is fading as well. EDIT: Woohoo, I am a groupie!</span>

i always wondered what that 4th line was saying. Thanks for clearing that up.
I’m a fan of the song btw. I grew up on late 70s/early 80s Camel.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 15:29
Honestly, the only Camel that really doesn’t satisfy me is the Harbour of Tears album. Probably just needs more time, but something about it just doesn’t speak to me. I have no Irish in me so maybe that’s part of it.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 16:59
There's not a single Camel song I actually hate, but there are a couple I don't really like: Neon Magic and Remote Romance.
I've also realised recently that The Single Factor is much better than I used to think.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: September 03 2021 at 20:11
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Remote Romance

There's too much static
Ooh your signal's fading
Down goes my rating

I won't repeat it
I won't repeat it. Wink

You know, it actually reminds me a bit of Steve Hillage from around that same time period. The only thing that's missing is Steve's guitar. Tongue

Posted By: Progishness
Date Posted: September 04 2021 at 01:26
There are no bad Camel songs, just some albums that I prefer more than others.

-------------
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: September 04 2021 at 01:48
If I can't give you an answer, that must mean I've somehow avoided low-quality Camel this entire time lol.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 04 2021 at 02:18
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I just heard Sasquatch for the first time.

There's quite some space below it. Tongue

Sasquatch is often considered to be one of the and THE best track from The Single Factor, but it is not generally a highly regarded album (lowest rated).

By the way, some of the worst songs by a band I will love despite and maybe because of the badness (songs of the so bad they are good variety).  Heck, the Shagg's Philosophy of the World is genuinely one of my favourite albums.  A film I love The Room for its ineptitude.  I can't think of anything I "hate" (to use OP terminology) from Camel (music does not tend to elicit such an emotional reaction from me) but there is plenty of stuff I do find bland and insipid and is just not to my tastes.  I might still quite like those at different times.

Looking at this topic,  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123871" rel="nofollow - Ranking Every Single Camel Song which I know the OP responded to, that worst song, "Remote Romance" I actually like (that's a good bad for me). It tickles a certain bone, probably my funny one in a way.

Camel is not a band that I am so into to easily have a worst.  But even with my favourite bands, those worst I find certain absurdist pleasure in -- a rather masochistic or perverse pleasure some might say.
Oh, I love Remote Romance. A fun, lighthearted song. Like most Canterbury and related bands are so good at doing. And I can always enjoy a little novelty new wave.

-Seems it wasn't the first time I heard Sasquatch after all. I must have streamed The Single Factor in 2015 - as I gave it three out of five stars (which means I must have quite liked most of it. It's still the lowest rating I've given any Camel-album. I haven't heard anything post Stationary Traveller though), but forgotten all about it. There's something about former progbands tries to nail that commercial late 70's/early 80's sound - and fails, that somewhat annoys me. Sasquatch like just about every song on Giant For a Day could work as the dime a dozen generic theme to a dime a dozen generic and unfunny sitcom of the same era (as far as I can remember). I think its got to do with the insisting but not very convincing "happy" sounding tunes. I don't hate it, but couldn't remember hearing anything Camel that I've enjoyed less.

-------------

Posted By: yogev
Date Posted: September 04 2021 at 03:22
Another Night. I can't say I hate it, but I don't love it. Something about the verse... didn't connect with me.

Posted By: Songtoad
Date Posted: September 07 2021 at 12:31
I feel exactly the same... Am not too fond of "You Are The One", but i absolutely LOVE both "Your Love Is Stranger..." AND also "Neon Magic" - whereas the latter one features such an amazing, joyful and happy guitar solo, by Latimer! :)

-------------
Change grants all interrelated pathways of every single object and all combinations of events and time-essences and it's reversed exceeds it upon being possible at any place, time or referential point

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: September 08 2021 at 01:42
Remote Romance broke me a tweeter in my car. I think it's their worst one, but almost everything on The Single Factor is forgettable at least. I never loved Dust And Dreams but I don't hate it. I may listen to all the rest in one shot.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: September 13 2021 at 03:09
I like all their songs. I really think they never wrote any bad song.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: David64T
Date Posted: September 13 2021 at 05:57
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

Neon Magic sucks too, but I like when the Rhayader theme plays at the end of it. 

Crikey - to think after 40-odd years I'd never noticed that... LOL ...had to listen to the song again just to check it out

-------------
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 11 2022 at 15:09
Apart from its synthesizer wash-solo, Highways of the Sun.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: April 11 2022 at 16:00
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

There are no bad Camel songs, just some albums that I prefer more than others.

The perfect conclusion

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: April 12 2022 at 02:58
Fox Hill........Can't abide it!!

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: April 14 2022 at 20:50
I discovered Camel in the early 70s and bought their albums for years. I loved Moonmadness because it felt like Mirage and The Snow Goose combined musically to create a new album. "Another Night, Air Born, and Lunar Sea were great tracks! Side 2 of Moonmadness is really great..

In the middle section of "Air Born" a melody begins playing and it comes across as having similarities to The Beatles "Flying". It's undeniably exacting to the signature line and groove of "Flying". I have often wondered if this was an accident.

Songs like "Highways Of The Sun" ..I really don't care for. "Remote Romance" forget it. It was disappointing that Kit Watkins left Happy The Man to join the commercial Camel and not the Progressive Camel. ...however..in 81' Camel released Nude which was Progressive again and Watkins was gone...and Camel recorded a Watkins song for the Nude ..

I heard "Long Goodbyes" and decided to avoid it. Dust And Dreams receives bad reviews, but regarding how Andrew Latimer progressed as a writer, understanding the entirety of an album, and making it all work was really impressive. The same applies to Harbour Of Tears and Rajaz . I appreciate his writing

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: April 15 2022 at 16:20
Remote is cool
I never bother with Ice though. Hate those over emotional guitar songs lol

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: April 17 2022 at 10:01
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Remote is cool

😃 😀 😄

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: April 17 2022 at 21:32
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Remote is cool

😃 😀 😄

Love the midsection of Wait. But ice is boring Teeheehee

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk