Print Page | Close Window

Guess what famous guy has heard of Camel

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: Just for Fun
Forum Description: Participate in trivia and knowledge games, share jokes, etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127523
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 23:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Guess what famous guy has heard of Camel
Posted By: SuperMetro
Subject: Guess what famous guy has heard of Camel
Date Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ 

Found out about this when reading about the band on Wikipedia and then reading an article on it. Do it. 

Replies:
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:27
He's not famous! Lol.

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:42
My wife and I went to see Rick Astley at the Liverpool Echo Arena a couple of years ago. (for her, not me). He was actually quite good though and spoke about music that he had liked, and influenced him, over the years. The next song he sang, he had album covers coming up behind him in rotation on a large screen. The 2 I recall were Camel - Mirage and Rush - Hemispheres.

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Posted By: timbo
Date Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:42
Ooops, I’ve just been rick-rolled! LOL

Date Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:44
I’ve heard interviews with him and he is definitely a prog fan. Quite sensibly he avoided playing it in order to get signed and have a career.

Date Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:48
That is sad that Rick had to make such a stupid mega hit, while if there was no record deal pressure, Rick Astley could have made something like Camel. 

Date Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:54
Why? There was no opportunity to have a career in prog in the late eighties. If he wanted a career in music he took the best option.

I’ve recently started playing keys in a function band, and we play music I would have turned my nose up at in the past. Now I’m really enjoying it and even getting to like some of it. Just because you’re a prog fan doesn’t mean other music is crap, or you can’t enjoy playing it. Nothing wrong with Never gonna give you up!

Just ask Nick Beggs. Now a bona fide prog master, but started off in Kajagoogoo. 

Date Posted: October 13 2021 at 17:44
Just because I say the one song sucks does not mean I hate pop music. There is still good pop music to go around like most stuff Michael Jackson does, the Beatles, and also Led Zeppelin. Oh yeah and prog in the late 80s. 

Marillion man. Marillion is a thing! Yes its neo progressive, but you can still call it prog rock. You have been rickrolled Timbo. Clap

Date Posted: October 14 2021 at 03:37
Yes I’ve been rick-rolled.
I don’t like the song much either, but it gave Rick an opportunity, and few of us get that in the music biz.

Date Posted: October 14 2021 at 05:29
ClapCongrats you are now a senior

Clap
Clap

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: October 14 2021 at 06:28
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

My wife and I went to see Rick Astley at the Liverpool Echo Arena a couple of years ago. (for her, not me). He was actually quite good though and spoke about music that he had liked, and influenced him, over the years. The next song he sang, he had album covers coming up behind him in rotation on a large screen. The 2 I recall were Camel - Mirage and Rush - Hemispheres.

My wife's a Rick Astley fan - she'll be gutted at this news!WinkLOL

I have to say I'm quite surprised.

Anyway, surely you all agree that NGGYU is one of 1987's very finest Stock Aitken and Waterman-produced UK number 1 singles?LOL

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 14 2021 at 06:46
Did you know Rick Astley would lend you any of his Disney DVDs except one?

He's never gonna give you Up.

(I'm here all week)

Posted By: Gentle and Giant
Date Posted: October 14 2021 at 06:55
chopper, did you make that joke up yourself? Wink I'll try to remember it for a Christmas cracker joke. LOL

-------------
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen

Date Posted: October 14 2021 at 07:04
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

chopper, did you make that joke up yourself? Wink I'll try to remember it for a Christmas cracker joke. LOL

Sadly no, I can't claim that one. I can't remember where I first heard it but it's been around for a few years now.

Date Posted: October 14 2021 at 09:26
Apparently he was really big in England and Europe but is really only known for one big song(never gonna give you up) here in the US(maybe two). That's why I said he's not famous. In the US he's mostly known as a one hit wonder. David Essex is another one who was big in the UK but is only known for one big hit in the US(rock on). 

As far as his career choice. Well, maybe he was just more of a pop guy to begin with. It's true in the 80's it was tough to make a living out of prog so in hindsight he probably made the right decision. 

Howard Jones(while more in the synth pop direction and not in the same category as Astley)actually was in a prog band in the 70's apparently(probably didn't get very far and I don't even knew their name) so there are other examples of pop musicians who had a familiarity with or some involvement with prog who chose not to go in that direction(for whatever reason).

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 15 2021 at 06:17
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

That is sad that Rick had to make such a stupid mega hit, while if there was no record deal pressure, Rick Astley could have made something like Camel. 

I think I'd rather be Rickrolled than Camelrolled, although I may have rolled a few Camels when I was still a smoker.

Had Rick Astley got started earlier in the 80s (I think he would have been about 16 at that time) maybe he could have come out with something like Camel's No Easy Answer.

That song might have some internet meme and culture potential. Like when you ask someone a question on the internet, or you are asking for some help with homework, and someone responds, "This video should help explain it" and a link to "No Easy Answer" is stealthily provided. You click on it and you're all like, "Oh no, I've been Camelrolled again" and break down weeping. You weep partially due to your gullibility, but mostly over the futility of it all.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 15 2021 at 06:27
Obviously one can be fan of very different styles of music, particularly be fan of one style and produce a totally different style. Nothing wrong with that, even if one of the styles is soft pop.

Date Posted: October 15 2021 at 06:36
According to Wikipedia his big passion is soul, however "he co-wrote "Mission Statement", a track for former  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marillion" rel="nofollow - Marillion  singer  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_%28singer%29" rel="nofollow - Fish 's 1999 solo album  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raingods_with_Zippos" rel="nofollow - Raingods with Zippos "

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: October 15 2021 at 06:57
Maybe he could collaborate with Camel and Fish for an album called Rick Astley's Raindances with Fish and Camels.

By the way, if any have somehow escaped the phenomenon of rickrolling (the youtube link in the OP is to "Never Gonna Give You up"):

"Rickrolling, alternatively Rick-rolling or Rickroll, is a prank and an Internet meme involving an unexpected appearance of the music video for the 1987 song "Never Gonna Give You Up," performed by the English singer Rick Astley. The meme is a type of bait and switch using a disguised hyperlink that leads to the music video. When victims click on a seemingly unrelated link, the site with the music video loads instead of what was expected, and in doing so they are said to have been "Rickrolled". The meme has also extended to using the song's lyrics in unexpected places" (Wikipedia).

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ" rel="nofollow - HERE (CLICK) for a better explanation of this sort of cultural phenomenon.

Rather than a Rick-roll or a Camel-roll, I'd quite like a The Residents Eskimo-roll (fellow kayakers will know what I am talking about).

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 15 2021 at 07:54
Rick's a good sport..getting up on stage with The Foo Fighters, and to hear that he digs some prog is cool. Always thought he was quite a good singer. Mostly awful music though.

Better singer than Andy Latimer

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Cboi Sandlin
Date Posted: October 16 2021 at 20:36
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

Lyrics for Rick Astley prog song
Never (10 minute instrumental breakdown)
Gonna (7 1/2 minute jazz section)
Give (5 minute keyboard solo)
You (12 minute sax section)
Up (20 minutes of random animal noises)

Posted By: Cboi Sandlin
Date Posted: October 16 2021 at 20:41
But honestly, who could honestly say that Camel isn’t one of the greatest bands ever, their bassists name is literally Colin Bass 😂

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: October 17 2021 at 00:44
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

He's not famous! Lol.

Rick Astley? Not famous? I'm sorry, which edition of the internet have you been using for the past decade or so? LOL

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: October 17 2021 at 07:37
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

He's not famous! Lol.

Rick Astley? Not famous? I'm sorry, which edition of the internet have you been using for the past decade or so? LOL

How many editions are there? Confused

In the US at least I would not consider him a household name. Until this thread, I haven't heard him mentioned in quite a long time.

Posted By: Shadowyzard
Date Posted: October 17 2021 at 09:06

He's not famous! Lol.

In the US at least I would not consider him a household name. Until this thread, I haven't heard him mentioned in quite a long time.

The world is not the United States.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 18 2021 at 02:40
Rick has got an amazing Baritone voice, shame it was wasted on Stock Aitken Waterbracket shyte

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: October 25 2021 at 05:19

He's not famous! Lol.

There are kids today, here in the U.S., who know Astley because of the whole Rickroll thing. When you combine that with everyone who remembers him from when he was relevant you'll realize that he's much more known here than you think. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Date Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:04
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

He's not famous! Lol.

The world is not the United States.

Yes, but that's where I live and so that's what I go by. Ya dig?

Date Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:05
^ You just are wrong. Rick Astley is a famous singer. Dig it?

Date Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:34

^ You just are wrong. Rick Astley is a famous singer. Dig it?

Nope. 

Date Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:38
^ I'm thankful to have acquaintances with some reasonable and fair Americans (not including you).

Date Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:39

^ I'm thankful to have acquaintances with some reasonable and fair Americans (not including you).

LOL Nice burn. 

Date Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:42
^ Now you're good at "handling difficult forum members". (I, for one, am one of them.) WinkLOL

Date Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:44

^ Now you're good at "handling difficult forum members". (I, for one, am one of them.) WinkLOL

Now that's something we can agree on. Wink

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: November 01 2021 at 17:40
Im From Argentina and Rick Astley Rolled Upon Us, i saw a few weeks ago Rick Astley performing songs of The Smith and it was cool

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 11:47
The hell he isn't famous. His Never Gonna Give You Up video reached 1 billion views this year on YouTube. The song, his debut single, reached Number 1 in 25 countries. By 1993, he'd sold approximately 40 million records worldwide. He can be currently heard on a T-Mobile ad. And now it's stated that the guy's a Camel fan. I'd say he's alright!

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 12:58
Well if he is famous then he's definitely a lot more famous in the UK and Europe than he is in the US. That's for sure. 

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 13:12
^ Semantics entry level lesson: Michael Jackson is more famous than Prince. This doesn't mean Prince "isn't" famous.

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 13:50

^ Semantics entry level lesson: Michael Jackson is more famous than Prince. This doesn't mean Prince "isn't" famous.

LOL

They are also both dead so I would use the past tense as opposed to the present tense with them. 

Anyway, imo, you would have to say Belinda Carlisle, Debbie Gibson and Cyndi Lauper are all famous too. :P I suppose we all have different ideas of what fame is and it's kind of subjective. Most young kids probably haven't heard of Yes so does that mean Yes isn't famous? I personally wouldn't say many people that others consider famous to be famous but maybe it's more of not my cup of tea or not on my radar. I haven't seen anyone wearing Rick Astley t shirts or heard or seen much of him mentioned(other than one song on a tv commercial)for over 25 years so..... Let me just say that when I think of someone famous RA probably isn't even one of the first 100 people to pop up in my head(if at all). 

Since you love to argue so much I'll let you get the last word in. I'm done with this discussion though. 

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 14:14
^ OK, I'll not give you another lesson. You need one though, about the notions of subjectivity and objectivity.

Since you like to fortify your FALSE argument with gibberish, I'll let you go this time. The easier way is to accept you're wrong. I don't like arguing. Your nonsensical attitude calls for it.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 15:31
Oh, yeah, that net 16 million dollars he's worth wasn't inherited from a dotty old aunt.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 16:44

Now that's something we can agree on. Wink

You're really pathetic. Do not interact with me again. I'll not with you, under normal circumstances. You can show some honesty, and rewrite your real response (that you edited, ludicrously, after a day and after the ensuing discussion) to earn some dignity lastly. I'll not bother to embarrass you further.

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 17:09
I'm pathetic and embarassing myself and yet you're the one who is unecesarily insulting me. Gotcha.

Yeah, if you want to continue this you can pm me and I would be happy to have a civil discussion(unlike what has already transpired) but let's not keep going with this on here. It's a distraction for others.  

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 17:19
^ Sorry for the insult, but you abused the fact that I didn't "quote" your message. So, I think it was not "unnecessary". Anyway, insulting is a bad attitude. Sorry, again.

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 17:24
Neither of us were quoting for a while so I'm not sure exactly sure what you were referring to but if it's the last one any kind of insult or character assasination(ie what you did) is unecessary imo. Anyway, that's very big of you to apologize and if I somehow pissed you off I'll do the same. Anyway, how about if we just agree to disagree? I'm really not a fan of infighting anyway. We're all here to discuss our favorite music not disagree about Rick Astley whom neither of us probably listen to anyway. ;)

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 17:32

Neither of us were quoting for a while so I'm not sure exactly sure what you were referring to but if it's the last one any kind of insult or character assasination(ie what you did) is unecessary imo. Anyway, that's very big of you to apologize and if I somehow pissed you off I'll do the same. Anyway, how about if we just agree to disagree? I'm really not a fan of infighting anyway. We're all here to discuss our favorite music not disagree about Rick Astley whom neither of us probably listen to anyway. ;)

You said that you're also at times a "difficult member", and it is a shame that they don't give us (you and I) prizes for that. And you twisted it, removing the part about yourself. Anyway, OK. 

Date Posted: November 03 2021 at 17:43

You said that you're also at times a "difficult member", and it is a shame that they don't give us (you and I) prizes for that. And you twisted it, removing the part about yourself. Anyway, OK. 

Sorry. Ok, I'll say it now. Sometimes I can be a difficult member. We probably aren't the only ones though but maybe just brave enough to admit it. Wink

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: November 06 2021 at 06:55
Both of you...Go stand in the corner with your arms around each other looking into each others eyes and repeat after me..."You're not a bad person, your just another trellis".

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk