Print Page | Close Window

new Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127715
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 22:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: new Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene
Posted By: rushaholic
Subject: new Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene
Date Posted: November 05 2021 at 07:11
New Jethro Tull album out soon.

some links...

https://burningshed.com/store/jethrotull?utm_source=Newsletter+05+11+2021&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter+05+11+2021

https://www.loudersound.com/news/listen-to-jethro-tulls-shoshana-sleeping-their-first-new-material-in-18-years

Replies:
Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: November 05 2021 at 08:46
This is actually pretty decent, the vocals aren't good, but not to the extent that I couldn't look past it. I think what a lot of later JT and Anderson solo needs are some more developed and grittier drum parts. It's just really metronomic without much groove.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 05 2021 at 09:10
On a scale of 1 to 10 it's a meh.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: November 05 2021 at 09:42
Here's the video of the new single. Meh for me.

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: November 05 2021 at 14:22
^I think it sounds pretty decent. Better than I had expected.

-------------
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - Metal Music Archives

https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: November 05 2021 at 16:01
^^ Jethro Tull wouldn't be opening for Spinal Tap by any chance would they?

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 05 2021 at 16:06
I've stuck on the JT/IA train for this long, I'm not going to stop now.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: November 07 2021 at 07:20
I had a good laugh at "their first new material in 18 years"...as if there's an actual band called Jethro Tull now, instead of just Ian Anderson and a bunch of hired hands.

Hard pass after hearing the selected song...there's too much new music to discover without exhuming groups that peaked (in this case) 43-years ago.

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: November 07 2021 at 07:34
^ exactly. I don't know why anybody gets excited about classic bands releasing mediocrity. Sure these bands have the right to do what they want but the music scene has moved on and they no longer have what it takes to craft creative competent albums.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 07 2021 at 10:06
Not bad, but not excellent either. I prefer the Martin Barre Band to be honest, way more exiting, inventive and entertaining.

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: November 07 2021 at 10:38
i was rather surprised when i saw the news.  not sure how it will all sound.

i am quite like many here... enjoying a lot of other new music.  right now, i cannot get enough of the new mastodon album.  been on repeat all week long.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 07 2021 at 14:37
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

This is actually pretty decent, the vocals aren't good, but not to the extent that I couldn't look past it. I think what a lot of later JT and Anderson solo needs are some more developed and grittier drum parts. It's just really metronomic without much groove.
Yep. Many ageing artist seem to forget some very vital parts about what makes music interesting and engaging. A shame really. The song itself - or the songwriting, isn't bad.

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2021 at 05:44
It's still an autobuy for me as Tull and I go way, way, way back.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 08 2021 at 19:41
Well...that Spinal Tap track was more entertaining than the Tull one.

Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: November 09 2021 at 08:10
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

I had a good laugh at "their first new material in 18 years"...as if there's an actual band called Jethro Tull now, instead of just Ian Anderson and a bunch of hired hands.

Hard pass after hearing the selected song...there's too much new music to discover without exhuming groups that peaked (in this case) 43-years ago.

I dig this comment. Spot on.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: November 09 2021 at 08:21
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^^ Jethro Tull wouldn't be opening for Spinal Tap by any chance would they?

I'd much rather hear a new Spinal Tap album! Break Like The Wind is a classic!!!

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: November 09 2021 at 10:25
I prefer Smell the Glove. Although due to the controversial cover there were only 5 albums released. Mine is kept locked in an old outhouse at a family cottage in the Greater Georgian Bay area.
But, I do have these.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: November 09 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well...that Spinal Tap track was more entertaining than the Tull one.

Wink
LOL

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 09 2021 at 10:54
I'd say the Spinal Tap's Stonehenge is a "stone" cold classic and the track and film scene is more entertaining than, well, lots of great stuff. I love Spinal Tap and Stonehenge is terrific I think.

As for the JT track. I could imagine it being very good with some changes (including time signature changes), but it ended up sounding very monotonous/ plodding.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 09 2021 at 10:57
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

[ Many ageing artist seem to forget some very vital parts about what makes music interesting and engaging. A shame really. The song itself - or the songwriting, isn't bad.

This.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 09 2021 at 18:36
Every artist has a finite amount of great material within them and we're lucky to enjoy it in our lifetime.

As to SteveG's comment regarding his Tull allegiance, from my review for Rock Island :

Here's the thing: sometimes appreciation of an artist is almost absolute. High points and low, blatant sellouts, uninspired contract-fulfillers and what-were-they-thinking moments, it's all of interest to the diehard fan.  Not because followers are blind, deaf or gullible, but because they want to hear any new work by a band proven over years to produce quality music--   music a true devotee will probably dig.'

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: November 10 2021 at 05:29
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Every artist has a finite amount of great material within them and we're lucky to enjoy it in our lifetime.

As to SteveG's comment regarding his Tull allegiance, from my review for Rock Island :

Here's the thing: sometimes appreciation of an artist is almost absolute. High points and low,
blatant sellouts, uninspired contract-fulfillers and what-were-they-thinking moments, it's all of
interest to the diehard fan.  Not because followers are blind, deaf or gullible, but because they
want to hear any new work by a band proven over years to produce quality music--   music a true devotee will probably
dig.'

Right on the money David. And that was a good review, btw. To paraphrase a quote I saw in another thread "I'm a fan of my team. Even when they're losing, I'm still a fan."

-------------

Posted By: Owen D
Date Posted: January 11 2022 at 00:29
This is an edited and shortened version of my review which appears on DPRP net

Link- https://www.dprp.net/reviews/2022/001

The Zealot Gene contains an interesting amalgam of styles that will probably please and frustrate Tull fans in equal measures. Any Tull aficionado expecting a consistent, hard rock experience will be somewhat disappointed. Any Tull fans who want a re-tread of the progressive complexity of a Passion Play might feel a bit underwhelmed.

However, Tull fans who enjoyed the light and shade of albums such as Minstrel In the Gallery, or the melodic beauty of Secret Language of Birds, might appreciate the way in which some of The Zealot Gene explores the gentler side of Anderson's compositions. If you like prog that is full of melody, but on occasions also mixes that approach with the bite and gusto of a rock act, you will probably enjoy much here.

In this respect, whilst never achieving the peaks of the best-regarded Tull albums, The Zealot Gene offers something appealing, that fans from a wide variety of Tull eras might value and enjoy. It is by turns quirky, charming, and endearingly idiosyncratic.

Anderson's vocals are surprisingly strong, although some listeners might find that his now-limited vocal range ensures that the vocal parts have a similar tonal quality. Several techniques are used to good effect to give the vocals an extra dimension.

Anderson's flute flurries are superlative. Whilst numerous flute passages have the pureness of tone associated with players such as Bjorn Json Lindh, there are many occasions where Anderson blows his flute with snorting aggression.
Some of the most exciting flute-trilling occurs during the interchange between Opahle and Anderson in the unusually structured and enigmatic Barren Beth, Wild Desert John.

Mine is the Mountain contains some of the best instrumental sections of the album. John O’ Hara's measured piano introduction provides a perfect entry point for Anderson's haunting flute line. At the mid-point of the tune, the group have an opportunity to stretch out. This exciting passage ends all too soon, but the band interplay is quite brilliant.

The Zealot Gene is a fine album and is a welcome addition to Jethro Tull’s catalogue.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk