URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127808
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 07:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Interactive Poll: It's a Family Affair
Posted By: mathman0806
Subject: Interactive Poll: It's a Family Affair
Date Posted: November 14 2021 at 20:54

Interactive Poll: It’s a Family Affair

We’re coming upon the holiday season and that typically that means family gatherings. Here, in the U.S., we have Thanksgiving happening in a week and a half. A time to overindulge in food, watch (American) football, and gather with relatives you may not want to see but do because you are thankful for them.

I haven’t done that in recent years as most of my relatives are a few thousand miles away, so I have either gathered with friends or spent time with my son. But, in the spirit of the holidays, this edition of the interactive poll is for collaborations of family members making music.

In rock music, examples include the Kinks and the Davies brothers, Oasis and the Gallagher brothers, the Breeders and Deal sisters. Some are harmonious. Others, like in real life, end in squabbles. But some darn good music gets made in the process.

So, the rules:

1. Think of up to three suggestions to share with your forum-mates for consideration.

2. No artists on P.A.

3. For this  poll, the performance/recording must include family members (e.g., siblings, parent and child, married couples, cousins, and so on). Yes, I do realize that some friends are more family than your actual family, but not for this poll.

4. Make your final nomination by Monday Nov. 22.

5. Voting starts after all nominees are placed in the poll.

6. Vote for up to three of your favorites except for your own.

7. Have fun!

[Playlist to come.]

Replies:
Date Posted: November 14 2021 at 20:56

First up from me. Married couple Susan Tedeschi (vocals and guitar) and Derek Trucks (guitar) lead the 12-piece Tedeschi Trucks Band. Both have had long solo careers leading their respective bands as well as Derek playing in the Allman Brothers Band, but decided to merge their bands to record and tour together, while raising their two children. Very solid blues rock with shades of Southern rock and Memphis soul. A Grammy-winning act, they are not unknown, but probably not in the wheelhouse of prog listener. This is a live rendition of a song from their third studio album, Let Me Get By, a great listen for a Sunday morning.

Tedeschi Trucks Band – I Want More

Second is a little-known band 90’s band from Pennsylvania. A trio consisting of siblings Beth Sorrentino (vocals, keyboards), Jay Sorrentino (bass), and high school friend Ken Heitmueller (drums).  Their first indie released album was well regarded and got them major label deal. They released their second on Warner Bros. and then got dropped before the release of their third album which was released digitally over ten years later. This is from the second album.

Suddenly, Tammy! – Get Off the Ground

Finally, we have one of the ‘pioneers’ of grunge. Brothers Van Connor (bass guitar) and Gus Lee Connor (guitar) formed the Screaming Trees with vocalist Mark Lanegan and drummer Mark Pickerel. In my opinion, their sound wasn’t quite grunge as they incorporated psychedelic and folk into their music. They lasted through seven studio albums and this is from their final (and IMO best) album, Dust. (Edit to add: There was an eighth studio album that was unreleased until 12 years after their breakup. I haven't heard it.)

The Screaming Trees – Halo of Ashes

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 02:44
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

3. For this  poll, the performance/recording must include family members (e.g., siblings, parent and child, married couples, cousins, and so on). 

Oh... Do we have to present a marriage certificate or is it enough that we suspect them to f**k each other?

Interesting entry for a poll, though. I'm not that keen and busy with studying (family) relations between band members - I'm generally not that interested in the private life of artists/band members - but I'm sure to find something after getting into some genealogical trees... Wink

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 02:53
that's a tough one, I don't know much about this, I'll do some research and come up with something. Embarrassed Smile

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 05:08
If this seems too difficult for a poll, I can change it up tonight.

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 05:12

no need and after all it's barely posted.
Challenge accepted Tongue

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 09:17

Oh no, that was certainly not the intent of my message. I actually have some candidates and a couple of them are couples. I'm just not sure if they're married...

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 10:47
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Oh no, that was certainly not the intent of my message. I actually have some candidates and a couple of them are couples. I'm just not sure if they're married...

I can accept common law marriages. 😌

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 10:50
so is it couples, siblings or relatives? 

Posted By: TCat
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:01
So, this poll is not as difficult as it sounds.  The thing I'm having a hard time with is keeping my posts down to less than three because there are so many bands out there that would fit into this poll quite easily.  I got my choices down to four, anyway, and I can't decide which one to cut out, so I'll post the four of them and you can pick which ones you want to listen to, but I'll tell you now that they are all very powerful tracks worth listening to.  Sorry that I couldn't keep it down to three, but there were more that I could have easily posted, and I'll just hope that someone else will do that.

As always, comments are welcome.  I will try to do the same, but I can't promise anything at the moment.

I'll start out with one that should be obvious.  This is the song that convinced me in the first place that I should listen to more music from these brothers.  That chorus is so powerful.

The Avett Brothers - "And It Spread"

Next is a family band that is quite well known in Canada (as they come from Nova Scotia), but not so well anywhere else unfortunately.  I don't think they are together as a band anymore, but these siblings were quite talented, and you can hear that in this song, which was written by Bruce Cockburn.  The vocals are by one of the sisters, and man, she puts some powerful emotion behind her voice here.

The Rankins - "One Day I Walk"

It wouldn't be possible to have this poll without the next duo consisting of Jack and Meg White, former husband and wife team.  This track is a hard blues track that shows off the talents of both of them, but especially Jack's amazing guitar skills (just listen to those killer solos on this one).  I don't know why they get dissed so much, but hopefully this one will impress the doubters that haven't given them a real chance.  This one should be a classic.

The White Stripes - "Ball and Biscuit"

And finally, one that might not be known so well here.  This band was formed in 1980 by identical twin brothers Jay and Michael Aston.  In 1997, they split up because of a rift between them.  This powerful and surprisingly emotional song comes from 1990 from the album of the same name.

Gene Loves Jezebel - "Kiss of Life"

-------------
https://ibb.co/8x0xjR0" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:03
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

According to rule #3, the answer is "Yes".  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:07
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

According to rule #3, the answer is "Yes".  LOL

ok then LOLThumbs Up
I'll come up with a couple of songs tomorrow. 

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:15
Like my friend suitkees I tend to not bother much about family relations between band members, still it's an original and interesting topic. What did I do to find a nomination? I thought of a band that I love and haven't yet used in any of these polls, and then I looked them up on Wikipedia, and this is showing:
Hood are an English https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock" rel="nofollow - indie rock band from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds" rel="nofollow - Leeds , formed in 1991. The band consists of brothers Chris and Richard Adams, and friends (including, at times, Craig Tattersall and Andrew Johnson of https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Remote_Viewer_%28band%29&action=edit&redlink=1" rel="nofollow - The Remote Viewer , and Nicola Hodgkinson of Empress).
Bingo!
Hood - The Cliff Edge Of Workaday Morality

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:19
@Mike: I can't see the Rankins video. Searching on youtube doesn't find me another one, just this. Not sure whether that's a valid substitution.

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 11:31
Sly and the Family Stone "Family Affair"   Almost everybody in the band was related.

Posted By: Snicolette
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 12:28
Got two off the top of my head, just have to relax a little and let another drop by (and make selections of the ones I can think of).  

-------------
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 12:49
Brothers Theo & Valentin Ceccaldi in Freaks 

Brothers James & Richard Larcombe in Admirals Hard

Spouses Janel Leppin & Anthony Pirog as Janel & Anthony

Theo & Valentin Ceccaldi are also in In Love With the French brutal avant jazz trio

Admirals Hard features members of Cardiacs, Knifeworld, North Sea Radio Orchestra, Guapo, Stars In Battledress, William D Drake, Gong and Mediaeval Baebes. I saw them play live in a small pub in Islington London supporting Knifeworld, Spratleys Japs & Guapo in fantastic weekend of music. Room full of people singing along to sea shanties.

Anthony Pirog is a great solo artist and a member of Messthetics (with the Fugazi rhythm section), his wife Janel is an avant garde experimental cellist.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:02
No need for a marriage certificate for my first suggestion: they're brothers. And everybody knows them... well, at least a couple of songs of them: the South African born Dutch brothers Rob and Ferdi Bolland, also known under their band name Bolland & Bolland.
They had some minor hits in the 70s in the Netherlands, a bigger one in the early 80s with a song you all probably know from the cover by Status Quo later that decade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_6TT0YCFc" rel="nofollow - You're In The Army Now . But they preferred to stick to writing and producing for others. You may know them also from the hits they wrote (and produced) for Falco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVikZ8Oe_XA" rel="nofollow - Rock Me Amadeus , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urw-iutHw5E" rel="nofollow - Jeanny ...
Anyway, here's one of their 70s pop tunes - quite decent, if you ask me.

Bolland & Bolland - The Last Apache:

-------------

Posted By: Mila-13
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:31
An ice breaker/joke for a start. Some yodelling from Switzerland. It's a 100% family affair! LoL

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:41
I am very tempted to do the Shaggs, a trio of sisters who I nominated before and have mentioned two songs by.

Board of Canada is a duo of brothers (use different last names)

Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

The Unthanks I have brought up in a covers poll before. It consists of two sisters named Rachel and Becky Unthank.

The Unthanks - Mount the Air

I'm vacillating between a number of other choices as my third suggestion.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:41
Decided to skip the obvious

Mike & Sally Oldfield
Malcolm & Angus Young (AC/DC)
Rudolf & Michael Schenker (Scorpions)

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I am very tempted to do the Shaggs, a trio of sisters who I nominated before and have mentioned two songs by.

Board of Canada is a duo of brothers (use different last names)

Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

I had incorrectly assumed Boards Of Canada were on PA, great band, lovely stuff.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:47
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

@Mike: I can't see the Rankins video. Searching on youtube doesn't find me another one, just this. Not sure whether that's a valid substitution.
Video removed for space

I was afraid of that.  The one you posted sounds pretty similar to the arrangement of the one I posted with a few differences, plus the fact that it's just one of the family performing that "made-for-TV" version where the original post was the family.  Not sure if that disqualifies that entry or not, but the differences in the music are very minor.  What does everyone think?  Does it still qualify?

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 13:49
My second suggestion is a couple from a city where I worked for some time and there they were more known to be better known in the USA than in France. Since a couple of years they are now known here too: Lionel et Marie Limińana, known since 2009 under the band name The Limińanas...

The Limińanas - Shadow People:

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:32
There's another French couple that I want to suggest that is formed by Jehnny Beth and Johnny Hostile, but if they ever married, they will have done that under the names Camille Berthomier and Nicolas Congé. I don't think they ever married though: Wikipedia says that they have "been in a relationship" since 2006, so they may have never married but I do suspect they did some "poetic extrapolations" under the sheets... so to speak. I hope this is enough to fit the bill. They first made a name for themselves under the band name John & Jehn, before they teamed up with Gemma Thompson to form Savages. Now they continue to work together (writing, composing, producing) but have released an album last year under the solo name of Jehnny Beth. This will be my nomination, because I really love this track and the whole album it is taken from: Jehnny Beth - To Love and To Live.

Jehnny Beth - Human:

-------------

Posted By: jamesbaldwin
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:36
These rules restrict the field a lot, for now I have found two very well-known artists, do not be influenced by the names and only listen to the songs:

Toto: Girl Goodbye (Jeff and Steve Porcaro)

Bruce Springsteen with The Session Band: Further on Up the Road (Live in Dubin)

(Springsteen and Patti Scialfa)

PS: Number 3.

Gang: La Pianura dei Sette Fratelli

I propose a song by Gang, one of my favorite Italian groups, which has already competed in a previous poll with a rock song. Now I propose this Irish folk piece that I had already included (but not nominated) in the Protest song poll. Gang were founded by the brothers Marino and Sandro Severini

-------------
"Happiness is real only when shared"

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:38
^ I also thought about Toto, but I was sure someone will choose and post them before I would. LOL

I already know a band lead by two brothers, will look for more tomorrow. 

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:46

^ I also thought about Toto, but I was sure someone will choose and post them before I would. LOL

Yes, thanks, I've correct the video.

Everyone konws Toto, I hope someone doesnt know this song (one of their proggest piece)

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 14:56
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Yes, thanks, I've correct the video.

Everyone konws Toto, I hope someone doesnt know this song (one of their proggest piece)

their debut album is great, nice choice! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 15:53
@mathman0806

Is allowed a group where two members are simply lovers?

-------------

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 16:14
Ok, here we go...

The Cowsills - Hair

Gino Vannelli - the War Suite

Alvin and the Chipmunks - Uptown Funk

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 16:23
First one....had to post this...though the live version is better...but what a great band, could easily post 3 by them.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 16:47

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Video removed for space

I was afraid of that.  The one you posted sounds pretty similar to the arrangement of the one I posted with a few differences, plus the fact that it's just one of the family performing that "made-for-TV" version where the original post was the family.  Not sure if that disqualifies that entry or not, but the differences in the music are very minor.  What does everyone think?  Does it still qualify?

If I'm the only one who can't watch the original video (or even if there are two or three more), for sure this shouldn't stop you from nominating this one. 

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 16:57
...and then there's this.
Drum Duet by Ginger and Kofi Baker

Date Posted: November 15 2021 at 17:42
Wonderful idea, George! I am going to go completely folky here.  One, I've brought before (not the song, but the trio), a long time ago.  They are first up.

Hank Dogs, consisting of husband, wife, and stepdaughter of wife, with "Let Go."  

Julie and Buddy Miller, husband and wife (I know, me?  Country?  But I love this song and did get to see them at The Bluebird when I lived in Nashville, although not this live performance, and they were excellent).  "Broken Things." 

Lastly, but not leastly, here is Richard and Linda Thompson, husband and wife (at the time) with "Dimming of The Day/Dargai."  Kind of two songs at once, but this is how it was presented on the original recording.  

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 00:58
I will post a few songs from bands that have brothers in their line up. 

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 06:17
And these are my 3 choices out of, who knows how many . . lol

Some jazz fusion by Brazilian husband-wife duo

Flora Purim & Airto Moreira: Samba Do Cantor
From their album: The Sun Is Out (1989)

A Cuban musical duo consisting of twin sisters Lisa-Kaindé and Naomi Diaz.

Ibeyi: River
From their debut self-titled album (2015)

A Belgian electronic/alt rock act founded by siblings David and Stephen Dewaele.

Soulwax: NY Excuse
From the album: Any Minute Now (2004)

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 11:06

My favorite track from my favorite AC/DC album.Clap

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 11:09
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

My favorite track from my favorite AC/DC album.Clap

you know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbs UpHug

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 11:42
First takes on first half of Page One.  Wowie.  

George:  Tedeschi Trucks Band “I Want More”  Lotsa percussion (two drummers!) and horns here.  I do know of this band, but not this piece.  This is just good-time blues (if that makes sense) and excellently done at that.  Great, soulful delivery from Susan Tedeschi, and kick-ass backup singers.  Derek Trucks doesn’t disappoint on the guitar, offering up a couple of solo leads.  Surprise flute solo (from the organist).  Suddenly, Tammy!  “Get Off the Ground”  This has a singer/songwriter sensibility about it, but with full band, well produced song.  Reminiscent of many of the 90’s leading ladies’ acts, to my ears.  I never heard this, but would certainly have checked them out more in the day if I had, as I enjoy the genre.  Screaming Trees “Halo of Ashes”  As you said, definitely right off the bad with a psych-sound, washes of guitar and sitar (or sitar-guitar or effect?), but with the grittiness of grunge peppering the piece.  This would have done well in the “Paisley Underground,” of the LA scene in the 80’s.  A bit of space-rock thrown in, too.  Very inventive.  I think this is my favourite one, although all have merit and vary greatly in style.

Mike:  The Avett Brothers “And It Spread”  Kind of alt-country-rock, full regular rock band with some rustic-sounding fiddle.  Emotive male vocalist, with some really nice fingerpicking on guitar.  Interesting lyrics, with the frost when the person left and then later, the warmth spreading on their return.  The Rankins “One Day I Walk” Allowable, or no?  I listened to Christian’s version that he found.  Beautiful voice, Cookie, with a bit of a country twang, and as you said, very emotional delivery.  As with most singer/songwriter material, the lyrics are just as important as how it’s arranged.  A feeling of spirituality here.  The White Stripes “Ball and Biscuit”  Sometimes acts get dissed because they are successful.  Nothing wrong with being successful, there are successful acts that are good, it doesn’t have to be obscure to be good.  Very heavy blues here, with inventive guitar leads, enjoyable listen, I think your third here is my favourite.  I like the kind of sarcastic and strutting delivery of the vocals.  Gene Loves Jezebel “Kiss of Life”  I remember the band (we carried them on our buses back then), but don’t think I’ve heard this song before.  This has a sort of bluesy feel, too, but very different in style than the previous choice.  I like the plaintive quality of the vocal here, in keeping with the longing of the singer.  Beautiful love song.  This is far and away my favourite of yours here.   

Christian:  Hood “The Cliff Edge of Workaday Morality”  Ooooh, nice kind of eerie beginning, right off the bat.  I have quite come to enjoy your selections, Christian, although I at first didn’t quite grasp some of it.  This is very spooky, spoken vocal with ghostly strings, repeating oooooooo and unexpected start-stops.  There is some kind of keyboard (accordion?  Effected keyboard?)  Haunting, sounds a bit like a tortured soul.  I like it.  😊 

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 13:58
And, having a quiet day with listening time, I've finished first takes on Page 1:

Easy Money:  Sly & The Family Stone “Family Affair”  I remember this quite well, they were quite the extended family.  Funk, soul, rock, they rolled it all together (and maybe rolled a few other things, too).  Based in Marin County/SF, they even dabbled in psych.  Laid back kind of song here, in their signature style(s).

Ian:  Freaks “Tchou tchou”  Fast paced electronic, jazzy piece, with lots of shifts and surprises.  There is a melody which repeats from time to time, then it all goes whirling off in several different directions.  Can’t let your ears off of it, or you’ll miss something.  Fun little bits of vocals in there, too.  Admirals Hard “Whip Jamboree/Let The Bulgine Run”  I actually have heard this before, Raff brought it in to one of the polls last March, had to look it up to be sure, but I thought I recognized the picture.  Which by no means means you should pull it, lots of new people in here since then.  Janel and Anthony “Big Sur”  Whangly guitars, thudding bass and really cool electric guitar, this one also going off in different directions, with some dididididididis happening now and again.  And this one wins my favourite of yours award, you know how I love those Middle Eastern-y slippy-slidey violins and cellos.  And great, great lead guitar, also in a Kaleidoscopic-psych (here I mean the US Kaleidscope with their “Taxim,” and other like pieces of music) style.  Far and away my favourite of yours here. 

Kees:  Bolland & Bolland “The Last Apache”  Very 60’s pop, highly produced as it should be, with their credentials.  Love the oboe sound and the vocal harmonies.  There is full orchestral production as well as a sort of cowboys and Indians bass line.  Horn section as well around halfway in.  Sounds like it should be on a soundtrack to me. 

Mila-13 Oesch's die Dritten “Ku-Ku Jodel”  Full on Swiss approach, yodeling away, with accordion, love the St Bernard.  Guess these folks will never get lost in the mountains, and if they do, the dog will oblige with the whiskey.  Fun! 

Logan:  Boards of Canada “Dayvan Cowboy”  Some effected guitar at the start here, very promising for the piece.  This stays in the shimmering slightly subtly shifting for quite some time, with some sonic whirlies gradually appearing.  Then strummed guitars come more to the fore.  Strings and some clapping-type percussion adds to the slow build, then lots of cymbals and some keys.  Great space stuff.  The Unthanks “Mount the Air”  Nice harp-y start, then lovely solo horn with some shimmers underneath, of chorded keys and soft bass.  Pretty-voiced female vocalist, lyrics are very similar to “So Early In The Spring,” a traditional tune, the chorus is in several similar tunes and even a Coleridge poem.  Beautiful arrangement, with the soft horns and violin, very different from other renditions of this, in all of their incarnations.   Just lovely. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 14:49
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Mila-13 Oesch's die Dritten “Ku-Ku Jodel”  Full on Swiss approach, yodeling away, with accordion, love the St Bernard.  Guess these folks will never get lost in the mountains, and if they do, the dog will oblige with the whiskey.  Fun! 

Hey Nickie, thanks for your comment, but this was just for fun! My real suggestions are on the next page, that is in fact on the previous one! LOL

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 15:13
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

Hey Nickie, thanks for your comment, but this was just for fun! My real suggestions are on the next page, that is in fact on the previous one! LOL

Oh, I gathered that from what you said.  Objective achieved, fun and gave me a smile.  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 15:49

Christian:  Hood “The Cliff Edge of Workaday Morality”  Ooooh, nice kind of eerie beginning, right off the bat.  I have quite come to enjoy your selections, Christian, although I at first didn’t quite grasp some of it.  This is very spooky, spoken vocal with ghostly strings, repeating oooooooo and unexpected start-stops.  There is some kind of keyboard (accordion?  Effected keyboard?)  Haunting, sounds a bit like a tortured soul.  I like it.  😊

Hey thanks! Happy to read that!

Date Posted: November 16 2021 at 15:52
It just goes to show that one's ears can be retuned to hear differently than one used to, with some well-done exposure to new sounds and concepts.

-------------

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: November 17 2021 at 02:43
This is a 'pick any three from six' job. Missing are Jane McGarrigle (another sister) Kate McGarrigle and Kate's ex, Loudon Wainwright.

Anna McGarrigle and Kate's children, Rufus and Martha Wainwright. Kate's 'Mendocino'

And another variation, with the addition of Lucy Wainwright Roche.

Date Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:30
Out of competition.

Just one of the many African musical families (I also cosidered f.e. the Kuti family) but there are also Jamaica's Marley's etc. etc.)

And here's some Balkan roma party vibe to brighten these gloomy November days. A father-son combo. Smile

Date Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:36

Out of competition.

Just one of the many African musical families (I also cosidered f.e. the Kuti family) but there are also Jamaica's Marley's etc. etc.)

And here's some Balkan roma party vibe to brighten these gloomy November days. A father-son combo. Smile

These songs are quite commercial, they are elementary, very poor. LOL

Here is a real avant-garde song, intrepid, adventurous, with incredible sounds and an erudite composition, directly from the Sanremo festival of 1982 the couple Al Bano & Romina Geek

-------------

Date Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:46
@Lorenzo
We all have our guilty pleasures and Romina & Al Bano are certainly part of my repertoire! LOL

Date Posted: November 17 2021 at 13:58

@Lorenzo
We all have our guilty pleasures and Romina & Al Bano are certainly part of my repertoire! LOL

Yes, in Italy we all cried when Al Bano & Romina separated, especially we lovers of prog and avant-garde!Cry

Who will give us Romina back, with her singing worthy of Demetrio Stratos? Who? And what about her long hair?Embarrassed

PS Think that Al Bano sued Michael Jackson for plagiarism, and he won it. A Jackson song has the same musical tune as Al Bano's ... Nobody knows how this is possible.

-------------

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: November 17 2021 at 14:28
The Watersons Photos (4 of 7) | Last.fm
The Watersons!

-------------

Date Posted: November 17 2021 at 14:32

@Lorenzo

Yes, in Italy we all cried when Al Bano & Romina separated, especially we lovers of prog and avant-garde!Cry

Who will give us Romina back, with her singing worthy of Demetrio Stratos? Who? And what about her long hair?Embarrassed

PS Think that Al Bano sued Michael Jackson for plagiarism, and he won it. A Jackson song has the same musical tune as Al Bano's ... Nobody knows how this is possible.
Al Bano has always been a bit argumentative, that's part of his dna. There is no Sanremo without Al Bano, in his humble opinion. lol But I listened to his song 'I cigni di Balaka' and there are indeed some similarities with Jackson's 'Will You Be There'. If that was a coincidence or not is difficult to judge. Ermm

Date Posted: November 17 2021 at 17:42

There's another French couple that I want to suggest that is formed by Jehnny Beth and Johnny Hostile, but 
Jehnny Beth - Human:

Various removed for space:

Kees, we really should seek counseling.  Once again, I can’t access a video of yours, lol.  The one I find seems to have album cover art, with an unclothed statue female, 6:01 minutes.  Do let me know if this will suffice.

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 02:22
^ That sounds like it is the same one, Nickie. Lenght and cover art seem to concur. Can you give a link (also for George to include it eventually in the playlist...)?

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 08:10

^ That sounds like it is the same one, Nickie. Lenght and cover art seem to concur. Can you give a link (also for George to include it eventually in the playlist...)?

Here you are:  

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 10:39
^ Thanks, Nickie. Of course, this one doesn't work for me, but I guess we have something to offer for both sides of the pond (I see that this one is also from Jehnny Beth's own yt-channel, so it should be alright).

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 10:44

^ Thanks, Nickie. Of course, this one doesn't work for me, but I guess we have something to offer for both sides of the pond (I see that this one is also from Jehnny Beth's own yt-channel, so it should be alright).
  Good to hear that, Kees.  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 11:32
First thoughts through Page 2, with a couple of additions, first:

Kees:  The Limińanas “Shadow People”  Psych pop sort of act, dreamy sound.  Another that would have done well in the Paisley Underground of LA when it was operative.  Lovely, warm sound.  Jehnny Beth “Human” Kind of eerie start, this becomes very avant sounding.  There is a feeling of detachment here in the music and vocals.  2/3rds in really lovely passage with keyboards and slippy sounds, male voice speaks.  Some guitar wavers in and out, back in the mix, then orchestral sounds, all way under, for the most part, until it comes to the fore.  

Christian:  Ginger & Kofi Baker “Drum Duet”  Will love to hear this, I worked with Kofi Baker a little (and his father, also) during the 80’s, I think I mentioned before in here.  Kofi is an excellent jazz drummer.  This would be from when Ginger was living in Colorado and working with polo ponies (he loved the sport, hence the equestrian center), about the same time we had him in the studio.    Monsters, both of them, in the best possible way.  What energy they both have!

Mila:  Flora Purim & Airto Moreira “Samba Do Cantor”  I have actually had the pleasure of seeing them live, in the very small Catalyst club in Santa Cruz, where they were perennial favourites.  They put on a great, energetic show.  Wonderful jazz fusion.  This has a soaring and warm feel, another of those pieces to listen to out on the patio with a cold drink, or driving up the coast on a sunny afternoon. Lots of great percussion featured with sophisticated sounds from the band and Flora as the vocalist.   Ibeyi “River”  Electronic sounds and claps start this one out, with some choral vocals.  I really like this duo’s vocals, they are very expressive.  There is a cool village kind of chorus near the end.  Soulwax “NY Excuse”  Whangy keyboards and drums, as you stated electronic/alt rock.  This has  lot of repetitiveness, building on the theme gradually.  Kind of a sad statement on humanity in the video.  And that was way back in 2004.  The twins are my favourite of yours, here.

Lorenzo:  Toto “Girl Goodbye”  I do know of Toto, primarily their big hits.  This one I do not know, so will expound.  Obviously very able playing by all and a powerful vocalist.  This has full soulful backup singers and super well-produced overall.  He told her!  Bruce Springsteen with The Sessions Band “Further on Up the Road”  This is how I like Bruce best, with an acoustic guitar.  Tin whistle, think I’m gonna like this one.  This is really beautiful, love the Celtic sound to it.  Fiddles, bodhrans, bunch of character voices, and all joining in unison.  Gang “La pianura dei sette Fratelli”  I remember this from before, good to hear it again, very folk and as I recall, a very humbling story. 

JD:  The Cowsills “Hair”  This version I certainly remember as well as having the Hair soundtrack embedded in my DNA, as we listened to it incessantly.  Fun song.  ?Gino Vanelli “The War Suite”  Promises to be epic.  And so it is.  Many choral parts with drums and fanfares of various sorts, also synth swirls here and there.  A query is asked about whether one would be willing to go to war or not.  Alvin and the Chipmunks “Uptown Funk”  How fun, I almost thought of putting in an Alvin and the Chipmunks song.  😊  This is very fun, but to be serious I would have to say that Gino Vanelli is my favourite here, since I’ve not heard it before.

dr wu23:  The Allman Brothers Band “Whipping Post”  Of course, very familiar with this, and agreed, certainly belongs here.  Outstanding choice, but I can't vote for it with my personal caveat.  I always enjoy your music, though, known or unknown.

Cristi:  Weedpecker “Molecule”  Spacy beginning, off to a great start here, as far as I’m concerned.  Orchestral, washy, psych music.  Takes me on a good trip.  Dire Straits “Where Do You Think You’re Going”  Here is stripped-down folk treatment, in the way that Dire Straits does very well, at least at the beginning.  Spare production as the band kicks in, just letting the performance and the song shine.  AC/DC “Sin City”  Now this I know very well, as my son used to play it quite a lot.  Very good at what they do, kick ass rock ‘n’ roll.  Savatage “Out On The Streets”  80’s heavy metal here, this is a good band of it’s sort.  All the boxes are checked, and offers some really compentent metally electric guitar.  This one is a ballad-esque, that picks up the pace during the choruses.  The first will be my fave here of yours, even though I didn't have a lot to say about it, just enjoyed the journey. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 12:31
And, having a little time this am, here are my first takes on Page Three (mostly 2 member additions), at least so far:

Lorenzo:  Al Bano & Romina “Felicita”  Pop music, sort of a Sonny and Cher vibe to me, without knowing the words.  

Mila:  Out of Competition: Toumani Diabaté, Sidiki Diabaté “Rachid Ouiguini”  Now you’re talking.   Lovely kora playing, I love the instrument and have brought Seckou Keita to these polls before.  Here we have more than one kora, it sounds like?  Maybe they are trading off being in lead.  Anyway, thanks!  Good listening.  Boban & Marko Markovic Orchestra “Devla “  As ethereal as the last was, this is in your face, especially going from one to the other.  I do enjoy it, however, but it is completely different.  😊  Lots and lots of horns and enthusiastic vocals in that Balkan tradition.  

Ronstein:  Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright & Anna McGarrigle “Mendocino”  This one speaks to me very strongly.  I spent all of my childhood summers just north of Mendocino on my great aunt’s ranch, which was paradise.  I knew Mendocino when it was truly just a little artist colony.  It remains one of my most loved places.  A beautiful paean.  Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright, Lucy Wainwright Roche, and Loudon Wainwright III “One Man Guy”  They are quite the talented bunch, and prove that a great song doesn’t need a lot of instrumentation to prove it so.  Both have merit, but I do have to choose your first selection, as it is so sentimental for me.

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 15:25

First thoughts through Page 2, with a couple of additions, first:

Lorenzo:  Toto “Girl Goodbye”  I do know of Toto, primarily their big hits.  This one I do not know, so will expound.  Obviously very able playing by all and a powerful vocalist.  This has full soulful backup singers and super well-produced overall.  He told her!  Bruce Springsteen with The Sessions Band “Further on Up the Road”  This is how I like Bruce best, with an acoustic guitar.  Tin whistle, think I’m gonna like this one.  This is really beautiful, love the Celtic sound to it.  Fiddles, bodhrans, bunch of character voices, and all joining in unison.  Gang “La pianura dei sette Fratelli”  I remember this from before, good to hear it again, very folk and as I recall, a very humbling story. 

Thanks Nickie, always very nice to read what you write.

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 15:45
Oh, I preferred the Bruce Springsteen to all of your other choices this time, Lorenzo.

-------------

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 16:12
..from the old days....surely known by some....but a  favorite LP nevertheless.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 16:24
Another old favorite from the old days.... college, wine, etc, and music.............

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 17:10

Oh, I preferred the Bruce Springsteen to all of your other choices this time, Lorenzo.

I am very pleased, but I was actually convinced that you would like this Bruce song. I only post songs that deviate from the Springsteen's music standard, and which I believe have a good degree of refinement in the arrangement. That is, I reserve for you some hidden jewels of his music. I have in mind other two or three  songs of his that might interest you and others, especially one track live with a string orchestra.

Let's talk about your three suggestions:

Bareback is a melodic folk song with an acoustic guitar arrangement; austere track, sung by a female voice, as is often the case in folk music. It is a very cold, icy, dry atmosphere, which increases in rhythm towards three minutes and where the repetition of the refrain acquires importance: it brings us in the mood of a wasteland. I read that they are a band from London, but this music is more suited to the Scottish Highlands (where I traveled many years ago).

Broken Thing is another thin song, voice and guitar, even more sober and slow than the previous one, this piece works by subtraction, and only towards the end does it reveal a greater emotive transport.

Dimming of the Day starts quietly, sounds even more extreme than the previous songs, then comes a barrel organ and Richard Thompson's vocals. This piece tests the listener more for its length and because it almost sounds like a lament, but it is structured like the typical verse / chorus song. Around 4 minutes there is an acoustic moment that sounds like a slowed down and deconstructed country interlude, let's say post-country music. This long instrumental piece transforms a plaintive folk song into a refined, author's track and therefore certainly goes in the direction of those who love prog. I would have been happy if Linda's voice had finally returned for one last verse and chorus.

Three beautiful songs, the first, although austere, is the one with a richer arrangement and perhaps it is the most accessible track, the third is the most extreme and refined piece. I am undecided which of the two I like best, perhaps Bareback.

-------------

Posted By: tigerfeet
Date Posted: November 18 2021 at 21:02
I was slow on this one and having a hard time finding bands that are family that are not on here. Still i persevered and found these three, a mix of conventional and non-conventional 

I like Kings of Leon as one of my guilty pleasures. A lot of their stuff is quite commercial, others such as this track I always can listen to

My 2nd track is by Arcade Fire, you will all know this one, but the live performance just hits the spot. 

This choice would be by The Shags - kind of Nico meets The Madcap Laughs. I quite like this band Wink

-------------
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.

Date Posted: November 19 2021 at 07:59

I am very pleased, but I was actually convinced that you would like this Bruce song. I only post songs that deviate from the Springsteen's music standard, and which I believe have a good degree of refinement in the arrangement. That is, I reserve for you some hidden jewels of his music. I have in mind other two or three  songs of his that might interest you and others, especially one track live with a string orchestra.

Let's talk about your three suggestions:

Bareback is a melodic folk song with an acoustic guitar arrangement; austere track, sung by a female voice, as is often the case in folk music. It is a very cold, icy, dry atmosphere, which increases in rhythm towards three minutes and where the repetition of the refrain acquires importance: it brings us in the mood of a wasteland. I read that they are a band from London, but this music is more suited to the Scottish Highlands (where I traveled many years ago).

Broken Thing is another thin song, voice and guitar, even more sober and slow than the previous one, this piece works by subtraction, and only towards the end does it reveal a greater emotive transport.

Dimming of the Day starts quietly, sounds even more extreme than the previous songs, then comes a barrel organ and Richard Thompson's vocals. This piece tests the listener more for its length and because it almost sounds like a lament, but it is structured like the typical verse / chorus song. Around 4 minutes there is an acoustic moment that sounds like a slowed down and deconstructed country interlude, let's say post-country music. This long instrumental piece transforms a plaintive folk song into a refined, author's track and therefore certainly goes in the direction of those who love prog. I would have been happy if Linda's voice had finally returned for one last verse and chorus.

Three beautiful songs, the first, although austere, is the one with a richer arrangement and perhaps it is the most accessible track, the third is the most extreme and refined piece. I am undecided which of the two I like best, perhaps Bareback.
  Things to look forward to!  Smile
As always, thoughtful deconstruction of the presentations, Lorenzo.  I appreciate your viewpoint on them, you always make me hear them in a different way than I do, with the perspective you bring.

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by tigerfeet tigerfeet wrote:

I like Kings of Leon as one of my guilty pleasures. A lot of their stuff is quite commercial, others such as this track I always can listen to
Video removed for space

This is one of the bands I wanted to post, but they ended up getting bumped with the hope that someone else would post them.  I was going to post "Knocked Up", but the track you put up is also great.  

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2021 at 12:04
First thoughts on thus far of Page 4, with a couple of additions for one pollster.

dr Wu23: Neville Brothers “Voodoo”  R&B here, I have heard something or other by them, but not this.  Top-notch of it’s type, smooth horns and a sensuous beat.  Mason Proffit “Two Hangmen”  Definitely remember the band, but do I remember this song?  Let’s give it a listen and find out.  I do vaguely remember it, so it’s won’t be voted on.   This is kind of a country-rock band, of which there were a few in the early 70s.  A story-song.  Nice harmonies and soft production.  I will go with the Nevilles for my favourite here, since it was unfamiliar.    

tigerfeet:  Kings of Leon “Be Somebody”  This band was all the rage in Nashville when I was living there, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of their music.  This is kind of alt-rock, with a raw edge.  This is a good solidly produced piece, with a break about 2/3rds in to keep interest, and the intensity builds after that until the fadeout at the end.  Arcade Fire “Wake Up”  I do know this one, a big hit.  But fun to watch the live performance, I agree it’s executed perfectly, they are obviously have a blast.  The Shaggs “That Little Sports Car”  I’ve heard of them (and they were in a long-ago poll here, but a different song).  This is sort of deliberately bad, like when the Bonzo Dog Band goes off key and such at times, for comedic effect.  Twangy guitar and dissonant vocals, off beat drums etc.  Kings of Leon it will be for me, for my favourite here.

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2021 at 17:50

Originally posted by tigerfeet tigerfeet wrote:

Video removed for space

This is one of the bands I wanted to post, but they ended up getting bumped with the hope that someone else would post them.  I was going to post "Knocked Up", but the track you put up is also great.  

Yeah, I was considering a couple of other tracks from them too. But this one stuck with me. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2021 at 18:00

tigerfeet:  Kings of Leon “Be Somebody”  This band was all the rage in Nashville when I was living there, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of their music.  This is kind of alt-rock, with a raw edge.  This is a good solidly produced piece, with a break about 2/3rds in to keep interest, and the intensity builds after that until the fadeout at the end.  Arcade Fire “Wake Up”  I do know this one, a big hit.  But fun to watch the live performance, I agree it’s executed perfectly, they are obviously have a blast.  The Shaggs “That Little Sports Car”  I’ve heard of them (and they were in a long-ago poll here, but a different song).  This is sort of deliberately bad, like when the Bonzo Dog Band goes off key and such at times, for comedic effect.  Twangy guitar and dissonant vocals, off beat drums etc.  Kings of Leon it will be for me, for my favourite here.

Thank you Nickie. I think I may nominate Kings as they are the best option from the 3 choices, although, The Shaggs, are calling me for a number of reasons. I will ponder a little longer Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: November 20 2021 at 18:29
@Christian

The Hood song reflects your love for the latest Talk Talks and the music by O.Rang. Wacky mood, weird rhythm, almost industrial free jazz background sounds, sound research that prevails over the composition. An alienating singing. Overall, the piece works well and is very original, I like it. It could be a contender of mine.

(The duet between father and son Baker sounds to my ears as a pure exercise in style, a display of technique, so it leaves me rather indifferent.)

-------------

Date Posted: November 21 2021 at 01:41
isn't it time to think of our final nominations? 

Date Posted: November 21 2021 at 07:18
I'll get nowhere near listening to everything this weekend, so I just leave quick comments for Lorenzo and Nicky (with preferential treatment because you have commented on the submissions, thanks!). I'm happy to see good feedback on the Hood song. Smile I love watching and feeling the Baker duet, it feels like a  proper family thing, so well suited for this poll, still of course it's not really much of a composition.

Generally the thing with melodic subtle and calm music for me is that I do like it, but there is some unexplainable magic factor that makes some melodies work for me and others not. I find the magic factor this time in the Bruce Springsteen song (would you believe it!? Due to Lorenzo's never tiring efforts I may end up going to watch him life if I get the opportunity, although I still don't see myself buying an album of his), and in the Hank Dogs, who also come with a wonderful voice. Julie Miller's voice I'm not so sold on, although the song is beautiful, Richard and Linda Thompson on the other hand do great singing but the song somehow doesn't do the trick for me. The Gang song is good to listen to, but I have difficulties with most music that shouts "I'm about the lyrics" too loudly at me. Toto for sure has some complexity and interest, but the smooth American commercial production is not my  cup of tea. Al Bano & Romina's Felicita was far too popular in Germany for not being hated by me (at the time that is). Wink  

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 02:33
my final nomination is Weedpecker - Molecule

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 02:42

...4. Make your final nomination by Monday Nov. 22....

I'm not confident in my pick as I love both of my choices in different ways, but I will go with Boards of Canada's "Dayvan Cowboy" over The Unthanks' "Mount the Air" as my nomination. I do find that The Unthanks very beautiful and wonderful. "Dayvan Cowboy" has the possible advantage of being half the length. That doesn't make it more enjoyable to me, but in a long playlist I could imagine some appreciating brevity.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Ronstein
Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 04:49
Mendicino is my nomination

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 04:50
I go with
Hood - The Cliff Edge Of Workaday Morality.

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 05:35
Hey all, I've been busy, so let's have all final nominations in by end of today (Eastern time in the U.S.), and I'll get the poll up tonight.

Thanks!

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 05:36
Gino Vannelli - the War Suite

Clocking in at over 10 minutes this piece is probably Gino's most progressive.
From the opening piano and the moody grandiose orchestration through the synth rock middle section and ending with an almost 80's Genesis section The War Suite is one sweet tune.

It gets my nomination.

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 08:30
I will go with The Hank Dogs "Let Go"

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 08:39
Admirals Hard for me

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 09:03
Actually, I'm going to nominate one that isn't among my original post.  

This is from the couple Glen Hansard from Ireland and Markéta Iglová from Czechoslovakia.  They even did a movie in 2007 called "Once" before they recorded this track.  Collectively, they are known as The Swell Season and this song comes from their 2009 album "Strict Joy".  They are currently still touring together under this name.

So here is my nomination
The Swell Season - "Low Rising"

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 10:08
Haven't had time to listen yet, and that won't happen in the next week/10 days or so, but I will do so when it is possible. I already gave my nomination (Jehnny Beth - Human)...

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 16:43
First thoughts on hearing Mike's final addition and nomination:

Mike:  The Swell Season “Low Rising” Sort of a soulful/folk singer-songwriter duo.  Nice subdued horns and whangy guitar lead in the middle section.  Very understated tune, could be a grower for me.

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 17:08
My nomination is

Bruce Springsteen &The Sessions Band: Further On (Up The Road) live in Dublin

-------------

Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 21:16
My nominee will be Kings of Leon - Be Someone 

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: November 22 2021 at 21:27

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 08:58
Thanks for that throwback Puppy.  Dead  

I actually met The Judds once.  Not something I've been that proud of.  The company I worked for back in the late 80's hosted a country music concert with The Judds, Steve Wariner and Dwight Yoakum, and we were obligated to attend.  I was also obligated to go backstage after and do a meet and greet and have my picture taken with The Judds.  Naomi was nice enough but Wynonna was kind of a snob.  

Anyway, thanks for the memories I'd rather forget Mr. Pupster.

-------------

Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 10:48
I've updated the nominees but I think we are missing a few. Let me know and I'll make another update later today. I will be back on in about 8 hours and then put together a playlist and add any others.

Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 11:20
First thoughts on siLLy puPPy's post of The Judds:
siLLy PuPPy:  The Judds “Girls’ Night Out”  Of course I know of The Judds, living in Nashville for 9 years, you couldn’t have missed them.  We built a bus for them, too (which is why I was in Nashville in the first place, bus business).  Anyway, this is country pop rock with confident stars at the height of their career.  It doesn't pop for me as an extra special tune of theirs, but they certainly fit the category.

-------------

Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 12:03

Now that I've seen the line-up so far I'm a bit confused. In terms of music quality out of my three proposals Flora Purim & Airto Moreira definitely stand out for me. But since they are quite well-known I thought that I should nominate one of the remaining options. Did Flora & Airto appear in any of the previous polls?

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 13:14
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Sly and the Family Stone "Family Affair"   Almost everybody in the band was related.

Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 13:46

Now that I've seen the line-up so far I'm a bit confused. In terms of music quality out of my three proposals Flora Purim & Airto Moreira definitely stand out for me. But since they are quite well-known I thought that I should nominate one of the remaining options. Did Flora & Airto appear in any of the previous polls?

I dont think so. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 15:59

I actually met The Judds once.  Not something I've been that proud of.  The company I worked for back in the late 80's hosted a country music concert with The Judds, Steve Wariner and Dwight Yoakum, and we were obligated to attend.  I was also obligated to go backstage after and do a meet and greet and have my picture taken with The Judds.  Naomi was nice enough but Wynonna was kind of a snob.  

FYI, sometimes the impression that someone in that circumstance is a snob can be explained thus, they may actually sort of be in the same situation that you describe yourself in...feeling obligated to mix with the consumers after the show...the 'meet and greet' that you describe. Two sides of the same coin. Not all artists really give a damn about the elbow rubbing stuff. Once the thrill and energy of the live show has passed some would rather just retreat to their happy place.

-------------

Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 16:20

I dont think so. 

Thank you, Lorenzo!

Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 16:34

I assume that most of you are familiar with Flora & Airto who are actually my first choice. I'll give therefore a chance to my young Cuban twins, I think they will fit in well in this family themed poll.

So I'll nominate: Ibeyi with their song River.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHRAPIwsS5I" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHRAPIwsS5I

Date Posted: November 23 2021 at 17:43
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

FYI, sometimes the impression that someone in that circumstance is a snob can be explained thus, they may actually sort of be in the same situation that you describe yourself in...feeling obligated to mix with the consumers after the show...the 'meet and greet' that you describe. Two sides of the same coin. Not all artists really give a damn about the elbow rubbing stuff. Once the thrill and energy of the live show has passed some would rather just retreat to their happy place.

Yep.  The main difference is .... it's part of their job to do the elbow rubbing stuff.  That why they get paid the big bucks.  Even though the concert was obligatory for me to attend, I didn't get paid for it. But when I did get paid to meet and greet customers, you can pretty much guess I was expected to be at least tolerant about the situation.  Now I would never buy any of their music because it's not my style, but I guess that is why after the concert, I carried on with my life with some degree of respect for Naomi, but not so much for her daughter.

Anyway, the comment I made to Silly Puppy was more of a joke to him than it was trying to say something bad about the artists.  I was just kidding around with him, but after reading my comment, I can see how it might be taken as a slam against The Judds, when that's not how I intended it.  Though the story actually happened, I didn't want to use it as bad comment toward the artist, and I'm sorry about that.

-------------

Date Posted: November 24 2021 at 07:08
I think I just need dr wu's nomination.

Playlist:

Link: [url]https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx43S4z0UtN3crGU6SkxwI4P[url]

I have the U.S. playable version of Jehnny Beth in the playlist in the order of the poll. I think I added the non-U.S. playable one at the end. Could someone confirm? Thanks. 

Date Posted: November 24 2021 at 07:22

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Yep.  The main difference is .... it's part of their job to do the elbow rubbing stuff.  That why they get paid the big bucks.  Even though the concert was obligatory for me to attend, I didn't get paid for it. But when I did get paid to meet and greet customers, you can pretty much guess I was expected to be at least tolerant about the situation.  Now I would never buy any of their music because it's not my style, but I guess that is why after the concert, I carried on with my life with some degree of respect for Naomi, but not so much for her daughter.

Anyway, the comment I made to Silly Puppy was more of a joke to him than it was trying to say something bad about the artists.  I was just kidding around with him, but after reading my comment, I can see how it might be taken as a slam against The Judds, when that's not how I intended it.  Though the story actually happened, I didn't want to use it as bad comment toward the artist, and I'm sorry about that.
Fair enough. AFYI, my comments are based on discussions with and observation of mostly Jazz and Blues musicians at the festival I support. No judgment on my part was intended.

-------------

Date Posted: November 24 2021 at 07:23
OMG, I just realized how Canadian our posts are. Sorry aboot that. LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk