Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127949
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 15:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Genesis and Helen of Troy
Posted By: BaldJean
Subject: Genesis and Helen of Troy
Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 07:27
Genesis made two songs in which Helen of Troy is mentioned. one is "Blood on the Rooftops" with the line "seems Helen of Troy has found a new face again".

in the other song the reference is not so obvious. I could name it, but I would like to play a little guessing game with you. so what song am I talking about and what is the reference?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 07:37
Honestly, I have no clue, but I’m quite curious to find out. I’ll dig some Genesis lyrics out, to try to guess.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 07:58
The face that launched a thousand ships
Is sinking fast, that happens you know
The water gets below
Seems not very long ago
Lovelier she was than any that I know

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 08:14
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The water gets below
Seems not very long ago

very well done. the line "the face that launched a thousand ships" is actually from the play "The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus" by Shakespeare contemporary Christopher Marlowe (some literature buffs actually believe Marlowe wrote Shakespeare's plays). here the citation from the play:

Was this the face that launched a thousand ships
And burnt the topless towers of Illium
Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss...

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 11:50
^ Hey, happy birthday, Jean! Party

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 12:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The water gets below
Seems not very long ago

Outstanding!  I saw them do an excellent live version of this song on the "ATTWT" tour, one of my favorites!

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 12:33
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Hey absolutely...Happy Birthday Jean ! I really should pay more attention to the birthday list.
Hope you have a wonderful day. Hug

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 12:38
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

very well done. the line "the face that launched a thousand ships" is actually from the play "The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus" by Shakespeare contemporary Christopher Marlowe (some literature buffs actually believe Marlowe wrote Shakespeare's plays). here the citation from the play:

Was this the face that launched a thousand ships
And burnt the topless towers of Illium
Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss...

I guess this thread is resolved.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 12:43
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Outstanding!  I saw them do an excellent live version of this song on the "ATTWT" tour, one of my favorites!
Let's not forget the excellent live version on Genesis Archive #2.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: December 05 2021 at 13:53
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Hey absolutely...Happy Birthday Jean ! I really should pay more attention to the birthday list.
Hope you have a wonderful day. Hug

thank you very much to both of you. Friede will call me "old woman" for 53 days now until she has birthday herself and we are of the same age again. I will call her "young chicken" during this time. it is a routine we have been doing for years now Wink

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 06 2021 at 02:36
Although not Genesis, there is a great song by Al Stewart called Helen and Cassandra which appeared on the Last Days of The Century album from 1987. Probably the most prog thing he ever did.

Posted By: Hugh Manatee
Date Posted: December 13 2021 at 21:03
If we are moving this thread into songs citing Helen of Troy territory then I would like to trot out John Cale's take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0JUKmfXETk" rel="nofollow - John Cale - helen of troy (album version) - YouTube

-------------
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: December 14 2021 at 01:12
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

If we are moving this thread into songs citing Helen of Troy territory then I would like to trot out John Cale's take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0JUKmfXETk" rel="nofollow - John Cale - helen of troy (album version) - YouTube

That’s the first song that comes to my mind if ever Helen of Troy is brought up in relation to music. Those three Island albums are easily among the best things Cale has released. ❤️

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: December 14 2021 at 01:32
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Those three Island albums are easily among the best things Cale has released. ❤️

I totally agree, and would add that "Guts" is a fine concise collection of highlights from that period.

I do think those early albums tower over his later output and although I do appreciate Cales subsequent releases, particularly "A.I." and "HoboSapien" I tend to find his albums after the Island years can be very spotty.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 14 2021 at 02:37
I wouldn't have found the answer myself. Embarrassed

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Although not Genesis, there is a great song by Al Stewart called Helen and Cassandra which appeared on the Last Days of The Century album from 1987. Probably the most prog thing he ever did.

Mmmmhhhh!!!!....

When Ken & I tried to get him included as Prog-related, we didn't use that album, but the trilogy before Year Of The Cat album. sounded way proggier to us.

Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

TBH, that was my only thought into this thread.

I'm more of Church Of Anthrax man myself, but the five from Academy until Troy are OK to my neurones.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: December 14 2021 at 02:54
Sean Trane posted:

"When Ken & I tried to get him included as Prog-related, we didn't use that album, but the trilogy before Year Of The Cat album. sounded way proggier to us."

...and I agree. "Past, Present and Future" and "Modern Times" at least seem very prog, and even "Time Pasages" sounds proggy to me.

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 14 2021 at 16:06
^ yep the 'Folk Prog' trilogy although Nostradamus and Roads to Moscow stand out a mile. There is a trickle of prog from Al 'I took a guitar lesson off Robert Fripp once' Stewart up to and including Last Days Of The Century. That album has the title track plus Helen and Cassandra , Fields Of France, Where Are They Now and Ghostly Horses of The Plain which have plenty of prog credentials but the album is quite largely overlooked. In fact every song is a gem. Puzzles me to death that one..Smile 

Date Posted: December 14 2021 at 16:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ yep the 'Folk Prog' trilogy although Nostradamus and Roads to Moscow stand out a mile. There is a trickle of prog from Al 'I took a guitar lesson off Robert Fripp once' Stewart up to and including Last Days Of The Century. That album has the title track plus Helen and Cassandra , Fields Of France, Where Are They Now and Ghostly Horses of The Plain which have plenty of prog credentials but the album is quite largely overlooked. In fact every song is a gem. Puzzles me to death that one..Smile 

Yes, I was thinking about including "Last Days of the Century" but I didn't really know how far I could push the point.

I consider "The Road to Moscow" an acoustic precursor to "The Gates of Delerium".

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk