Print Page | Close Window

Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
Forum Description: Announce (shows, dates and more) and discuss progressive events and bands touring (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128084
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 05:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour
Posted By: Audion
Subject: Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour
Date Posted: December 22 2021 at 13:10
Porcupine Tree new album Closure/Continuation will be released in June 2022.  European tour dates start October 2022.  New single/video Harridan released  Big smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW5v4Ohxk5k&list=PLzhfgETbPF7g8XBkZHFnmLnkfckqctrXD

Already got my tickets for Amsterdam.  Didn't think they would have a reunion.   

Replies:
Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 22 2021 at 19:54
Originally posted by Audion Audion wrote:

Porcupine Tree new album Closure/Continuation will be released in June 2022.  European tour dates start October 2022.  New single/video Harridan released  Big smile

Hi,

I noticed that Colin is not on the pictures for the show ... I would imagine that the band will use Nick Beggs since his ability is probably better suited to help the band other than just bass guitar playing ... but you already know it will sound different. 

I thought the single was more of a SW song, than something that PT would do ... which had more trippy long stuff and pieces, which I think SW will do away with for PT as he did in their last 3 or 4 albums. But Colin not being there ... you might see why ... one thing he released was very interesting, but I seriously doubt many PT fans will ever touch it ... it was jazz'y as heck and I doubt that SW wants anything to do with that!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 23 2021 at 10:23
Originally posted by Audion Audion wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW5v4Ohxk5k&list=PLzhfgETbPF7g8XBkZHFnmLnkfckqctrXD

I have the new album on pre-order.......Hoping for a US tour, SW loves Seattle so I'm hoping they make it here. I am fine with Nick Beggs, he's a monster bass player and already tours with SW solo material and they play PT material also.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 29 2021 at 10:22
I really want to hear and see them, so I hope they come to South California.

Posted By: Michael919
Date Posted: January 06 2022 at 17:05
Is anyone else going to ignore all the single releases in order to take in the whole album at once in June? It's going to be hard, but that's my plan! I've waited this long, what's another 6 months?

Date Posted: January 06 2022 at 20:42
Hi,

Honestly, with so much new music coming around, waiting for Godot to come home with some coffee, I'm not sure that it will happen, and we're adding more "hope" this or that to it, than it's worth the thought or idea.

I am of the opinion that SW can not do PT anymore. He will do another version of SW and the PT folks that are coming along, are merely along for the ride ... with the free money they get! I can't blame them, but feeling they will come up with something like they did 20 years ago, is really a drag for me ... there isn't a band out there that has done that ... other than Djam Karet in my book, still creative and different after all these years!

For SW, and PT in its latest form (their last 3 or 4 albums) it was all about SW's songs, and the tripping, and far out moments the band had which was the stuff that we liked the most, was pretty much gone in favor of "more lyrics" that supposedly mean something and are important. More like self-important, I would think, and that's his role in the rock music world. I'm OK with that, but don't expect me to spend a cent when there is so much great music that ... we're not listening to ... because of things like this!

We've lost the sense of adventure in progressive music. All we can do is look for the second coming ... of someone or other!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: January 07 2022 at 01:08
Originally posted by Michael919 Michael919 wrote:

Is anyone else going to ignore all the single releases in order to take in the whole album at once in June? It's going to be hard, but that's my plan! I've waited this long, what's another 6 months?

It’s what I always do these days. The last time I listened to a single ahead of an album’s release was SW’s “Permanating”, which I thought was dire when I heard it. I didn’t listen to any of the other “To The Bone” singles, and only listened to the album after I read a review that stated how much the reviewer hated “Permanating” when it was released as a single, and lamented it’s choice as a single because they felt it worked incredibly within the album itself. The reviewer stated that it went from a hated to a loved song once heard within context. I gave “To The Bone” a listen, and I really liked it.

Ever since, I have always ensured to ignore pre-release singles, and I only ever listen to those singles once I have the album, so that I can hear them in context. I thought it would be hard, but it has actually been really easy. There is always so much to listen to, that I don’t need to hear individual songs ahead of an album.

Would I have liked the singles released from SW’s “The Future Bites” if I heard them outside the context of the album? I don’t know - but I do know that TFB is probably my favourite SW solo album. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So, I’m probably one of only a few PT fans who are eagerly awaiting the new album, but haven’t yet listened to the new single.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: January 11 2022 at 09:01
Originally posted by Michael919 Michael919 wrote:

Hi,

I think this is sort of like the old days in the 60's when the singles came out, and if they hit some reasonable thoughts and numbers, the record company would immediately work an album to try and maintain the momentum.

I think that SW has a lot of different choices and ideas, and is not clear what he wants or doesn't want, and if the single confuses people, or they love it, it takes away 5 other choices he might have had.

Honestly, if you have to go fishing to figure out what you want to do, or need to do, he's just fishing for more money ... just like the old days! Good gawd ... 60 years ... and still the same folks and ideas! Where has progressive gone? To the cows and pastures! Maybe some milk will come!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 09 2022 at 13:23
US/Canada/Mexico/Chile tour dates added a few days ago. Sadly for me no Seattle date but will be going to the San Francisco show in September. I bought tixs this morning on the pre-sale, public sale I think is Friday 3/11/22. I was shocked at the ticket prices Shocked, SW solo tours have been in the $40-$50 range and I've seen him 3x. Porcupine Tree prices are 3x that at minimum, I could have gotten 2nd row seats but those were $400/ea...Cra-cra!
Settled for front row balcony section, very happy!! Thumbs Up

https://porcupinetree.com/tour-dates/" rel="nofollow - https://porcupinetree.com/tour-dates/

-------------

Posted By: Disconnect
Date Posted: March 09 2022 at 14:31
Interesting....their ticket presale page states "PRE-ORDER 'CLOSURE / CONTINUATION' FROM THIS STORE TO ACCESS PRE-SALE TICKETS"......I pre-ordered CL/CO on vinyl back in early November 2021 from Burning Shed.  It would be rather greasy of them to not likewise honor preorders by us who did so earlier.

Date Posted: March 09 2022 at 14:45
Originally posted by Disconnect Disconnect wrote:

Interesting....their ticket presale page states "PRE-ORDER 'CLOSURE / CONTINUATION' FROM THIS STORE TO ACCESS PRE-SALE TICKETS"......I pre-ordered CL/CO on vinyl back in early November 2021 from Burning Shed.  It would be rather greasy of them to not likewise honor preorders by us who did so earlier.

Agree, but underneath that statement is a link to a "no purchase needed" link. You should have received a pre-sale code as well if you signed up at PT.com
I also pre-ordered last year......

-------------

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: March 09 2022 at 15:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Agree, but underneath that statement is a link to a "no purchase needed" link. You should have received a pre-sale code as well if you signed up at PT.com
Yes, but with that link, you have to give them your email and sign up to the mailing list just to get pre-sale tickets. Unhappy BS, big time. 

Date Posted: March 09 2022 at 15:55
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Yes, but with that link, you have to give them your email and sign up to the mailing list just to get pre-sale tickets. Unhappy BS, big time. 

Most bands are like that for pre-sale codes, either that or you have to actually pay and join the band fanclub....that's how Iron Maiden does it if you wanna get pre-sale code.

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2022 at 16:07

Most bands are like that for pre-sale codes, either that or you have to actually pay and join the band fanclub....that's how Iron Maiden does it if you wanna get pre-sale code.
My memory is not excellent, but I don't remember Rush ever doing that.

Date Posted: March 09 2022 at 16:23

My memory is not excellent, but I don't remember Rush ever doing that.

They never did, just had to beat the computer bots for good seats.....

-------------

Posted By: Zeph
Date Posted: March 10 2022 at 00:47
New song released:

Date Posted: March 10 2022 at 06:44
^Odd song. The segue between the mellow and heavy part sounds forced to me. As if they are two different songs. Sounds like PT we have heard before.

Other thoughts?

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 10 2022 at 07:24

Sounds like PT we have heard before.

Yeah... I think it's solid, OK, not outstanding, but for sure nothing that puts me off that album. I don't think it sounds forced, to me it's organic enough, but then nothing special either.

Posted By: A Crimson Mellotron
Date Posted: March 10 2022 at 09:02
Fantastic news for sure! As for this song, I am not as crazy about it as I was for 'Harridan' which was a much more interesting listen.
Hopes are still very high for the upcoming new release.

Date Posted: March 10 2022 at 12:50
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Fantastic news for sure! As for this song, I am not as crazy about it as I was for 'Harridan' which was a much more interesting listen.
Hopes are still very high for the upcoming new release.
I think the song is OK as well, I do enjoy Harridan quite a lot, looking forward to hearing that one live. I can only expect with all the pent up anticipation for new PT over the past 10 years that this album will be a pretty big seller.

What will be interesting to me, although I am sure I know the answer, is whether Steven Wilson wrote all the music? He has been stating that he was not interested in new PT album unless the other members were going to contribute much of the music creation. Without Colin Edwin, I assume he has done all the writing.....

-------------

Date Posted: March 10 2022 at 17:47
Interesting article on Porcupine Tree and the current status of the band, and or possibly the end after 2022....
Some telling thoughts on how things went about in 2010, with Steven Wilson walking away.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/10/reunited-prog-rockers-porcupine-tree-on-surviving-their-rift-you-cant-help-but-feel-bitter" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/10/reunited-prog-rockers-porcupine-tree-on-surviving-their-rift-you-cant-help-but-feel-bitter

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2022 at 07:13
New single. Sounds samey to me. What's your opinion?

Date Posted: May 21 2022 at 15:46

New single. Sounds samey to me. What's your opinion?

Not streaming anymore singles releases, I have the album on pre-order so will await it's arrival.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 21 2022 at 16:29
single edits are dumb 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: May 21 2022 at 17:03
Just trying to share the new PT single. Nothing but negative or dismissive comments so far. Fair enough.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 21 2022 at 18:14

Just trying to share the new PT single. Nothing but negative or dismissive comments so far. Fair enough.

It's fine that you shared it. Problem is, it isn't that good (I agree with "samey").

Date Posted: May 21 2022 at 21:30
I'm not negative or positive about the post.......I'm neutral as I have no comment till I receive the album.

-------------

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: May 21 2022 at 21:46
Yeah, it isn't great to be honest. Hopefully it fits better in the context of the album as a whole

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Date Posted: May 21 2022 at 21:47

Maybe because some people aren't that crazy about it? Not sure what your reasoning is here, considering no one is being disrespectful about their opinions 

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2022 at 00:57

I'm not negative or positive about the post.......I'm neutral as I have no comment till I receive the album.

I have learnt my lesson in this regard, too. Leaving aside that this is a “single edit”, any single can sound completely different within the context of an album, than it does apart from it.

Personally, I never listen to pre-release singles for this exact reason. I would rather hear the singles for the first time, when I listen to the album for the first time.

In the past, back when I did listen to pre-release singles, I found all too often that one of two things so often occurred. Either I was blown away by it, and then completely underwhelmed by the album itself; or I was so disinterested by the track, or even outrightly disliked it, that it put me off buying the album. (The latter only becomes apparent, when I eventually decide to give the album a listen, because someone insists I am missing out, and I realise they are right, and even the song that put me off, I find I often end up enjoying - so long as it is in the context of the album.)

It doesn’t surprise me, even though I’ve not heard it yet, that people are not particularly engaged with the new PT material. Everything I’ve seen said about it indicates that it is indeed closure/continuation and a sound somewhat like a combination of The Incident and The Future Bites. Given that neither of those albums are held in particularly high regard around these parts, it’s figures that the new songs aren’t exactly going to set hearts alight.

(As The Incident is a top five PT album for me, and TFB quite probably my favourite SW solo album, I am hoping to quite enjoy the new PT when it finally comes around.)

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: May 22 2022 at 16:54
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

(As The Incident is a top five PT album for me, and TFB quite probably my favourite SW solo album, I am hoping to quite enjoy the new PT when it finally comes around.

The Future Bites? That's definitely an uncommon opinion in regards to SW's solo career Smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 00:18
Yeah, I love it. And I know I’m in a minority there. Just to really push it home that my tastes are not really aligned with the average PT/SW fan, Raven is my least favourite SW solo album by quite a long way. (Which is not to say I don’t like it, because I do, but I like all the rest considerably more.)

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 01:18

Yeah, I love it. And I know I’m in a minority there. Just to really push it home that my tastes are not really aligned with the average PT/SW fan, Raven is my least favourite SW solo album by quite a long way. (Which is not to say I don’t like it, because I do, but I like all the rest considerably more.)

Glad to see someone else that doesn't have Raven as their favorite. Hand Cannot Erase is my personal favorite, mostly because - at least to me - it struck that perfect balance between the proggy and poppy sides of Wilson. Plus, 3 Years Older and Routine are among my all-time favorite songs he's written

-------------

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 02:24
^^ The only SW solo album I own is Grace For Drowning, which I find quite experimental in a Signify/ Stupid Dream kind of way... I enjoy it but have to be in the right mood. This is a bit ironic I suppose, because I bought Stupid Dream when it was released in 1999, but have never really listened to any of his side projects, inc Blackfield etc. For some while, I've been guessing this wasn't the best place to start? 

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 03:44
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

^^ The only SW solo album I own is Grace For Drowning, which I find quite experimental in a Signify/ Stupid Dream kind of way... I enjoy it but have to be in the right mood. This is a bit ironic I suppose, because I bought Stupid Dream when it was released in 1999, but have never really listened to any of his side projects, inc Blackfield etc. For some while, I've been guessing this wasn't the best place to start? 

I love Grace For Drowning. I find it, Opeth’s Heritage, and the Storm Corrosion album all work really nicely together, and I find it hard to listen to one of those three, without wanting to listen to the other two, too. They really do make a really complementary sort of triptych. I’m not sure how deliberate that was, or whether it is just coincidental because they were all made around the same time,

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 03:53

I love Grace For Drowning. I find it, Opeth’s Heritage, and the Storm Corrosion album all work really nicely together, and I find it hard to listen to one of those three, without wanting to listen to the other two, too. They really do make a really complementary sort of triptych. I’m not sure how deliberate that was, or whether it is just coincidental because they were all made around the same time,

hmmm... I recently bought Opeth's Heritage for £3 in a struggle to get into their clean vocal music... persevered through 3 listens and shoved it back on ebay. There is quite simply NO band on PA that over the years I have invested in more attempts to get into their music, or at least try to understand what other people see in them.. frankly, I just can't and regrettably, I just won't be trying them again. 

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 04:35

hmmm... I recently bought Opeth's Heritage for £3 in a struggle to get into their clean vocal music... persevered through 3 listens and shoved it back on ebay. There is quite simply NO band on PA that over the years I have invested in more attempts to get into their music, or at least try to understand what other people see in them.. frankly, I just can't and regrettably, I just won't be trying them again. 

Well then I guess you are definitely right that SW’s Grace was not the best place for you to start investigating his music outside PT! 😄

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 04:46

Well then I guess you are definitely right that SW’s Grace was not the best place for you to start investigating his music outside PT! 😄

As with Subsignal and Wolverine though, you are the one drawing the connecting lines between GfD and Heritage. I'm not saying you are wrong, because these things are very personal, but I can't for the life of me see any. For me, the lines take me back to Signfy and perhaps more ambient Riverside, which I'm quite happy with.

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 04:55

Funny that you say that...

To quote Wilson from the Storm Corrosion bio: "We have both always loved the idea of discord, of beauty, and ugliness side by side. Without being too pretentious, that's what life is like, so you hear a lot more of that coming out in Storm Corrosion. It's heavy, but without the use of the metal vocabulary. You can hear that on ‘Grace For Drowning' and on ‘Heritage' too. So I think, in many ways, this is the completion of a trilogy."

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 05:08

As with Subsignal and Wolverine though, you are the one drawing the connecting lines between GfD and Heritage. I'm not saying you are wrong, because these things are very personal, but I can't for the life of me see any. For me, the lines take me back to Signfy and perhaps more ambient Riverside, which I'm quite happy with.

I would have agreed with you, and said that you are right, and I am the one drawing the connecting lines between GfD, SC and Heritage, I really would have. But I just read Brendan’s post and I am 😱😱😱

If Steven Wilson himself is drawing the same connecting lines as I have heard, then I’m taking that as a win! 🤪

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 05:54

I would have agreed with you, and said that you are right, and I am the one drawing the connecting lines between GfD, SC and Heritage, I really would have. But I just read Brendan’s post and I am 😱😱😱

If Steven Wilson himself is drawing the same connecting lines as I have heard, then I’m taking that as a win! 🤪

And you are quite right to do so.. Clap Furthermore, if you had independently spotted the musical connections between these three albums without any hint from SW, then I'd say you have a very finely tuned musical ear. All I can say is that between you, Brendan and Cristi, the PMT is in safe hands.. Star

I merely base my comparisons on the albums I know and enjoy, which I freely admit paint a rather patchy picture. I know of but have never paid any attention to his Storm Corrosion album, however it's one I'll certainly check out in time... I simply couldn't get into or appreciate the sound palette of Heritage at all and if I'm being quite honest, don't think I would have noticed any musical comparison between it and GfD, even if SW himself had sat me down and asked me to play them back to back, pointing out key references on the way....  

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 06:47
Another thread derailed.

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 07:12

Another thread derailed.

Maybe a little for which I apologise, although I've actually found the last page quite interesting and we're still talking SW. When it comes to the hype around the new album, I have to say I'm with those here who don't like hearing prog rock tracks in isolation, in advance of the album on Yt, as they are of necessity taken out of context. Rather, I'll wait for the release date to come and go, let the devoted all post their views and have their forum say before buying it myself and then listening through 6-8 times before forming some sort of outline conclusion.

In other news, inspired by this thread, I've just bought Raven for £4 and am looking forward to giving it my undivided attention... Smile  

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 07:25

In other news, inspired by this thread, I've just bought Raven for £4 and am looking forward to giving it my undivided attention... Smile
First time hearing The Raven...??

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 07:31

First time hearing The Raven...??

Yep, as per previous, although I know all the PT albums and first saw PT live back in 2000 promoting Lightbulb Sun, I've never heard or invested in SW's solo catalogue, only owning GfD thus far...

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 10:59

I have learnt my lesson in this regard, too. Leaving aside that this is a “single edit”, any single can sound completely different within the context of an album, than it does apart from it.

Personally, I never listen to pre-release singles for this exact reason. I would rather hear the singles for the first time, when I listen to the album for the first time.

In the past, back when I did listen to pre-release singles, I found all too often that one of two things so often occurred. Either I was blown away by it, and then completely underwhelmed by the album itself; or I was so disinterested by the track, or even outrightly disliked it, that it put me off buying the album. (The latter only becomes apparent, when I eventually decide to give the album a listen, because someone insists I am missing out, and I realise they are right, and even the song that put me off, I find I often end up enjoying - so long as it is in the context of the album.)

It doesn’t surprise me, even though I’ve not heard it yet, that people are not particularly engaged with the new PT material. Everything I’ve seen said about it indicates that it is indeed closure/continuation and a sound somewhat like a combination of The Incident and The Future Bites. Given that neither of those albums are held in particularly high regard around these parts, it’s figures that the new songs aren’t exactly going to set hearts alight.

(As The Incident is a top five PT album for me, and TFB quite probably my favourite SW solo album, I am hoping to quite enjoy the new PT when it finally comes around.)

I'm in the same boat, clearly. I am an LP spinner, I play all sides of all records so the context of an album is a main focus point for me. I tend to believe most (prog) artists create albums that are supposed to be listened to from start to finish to capture the entire essence of the record.
That being said, I still am not a big fan of streaming music just to listen to one song......I mean one song is not going to make it or break it for me anyhow. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 11:23
The Raven was tops for me for a long time, but as of the past couple years Insurgentes has taken over the top spot for me. HCE is also right up there as well.......I would say The Raven is #3 for me today.

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 11:34

The Raven was tops for me for a long time, but as of the past couple years Insurgentes has taken over the top spot for me. HCE is also right up there as well.......I would say The Raven is #3 for me today.

Thanks Jose... I'll look forward to hearing it in due course and have intended to pick up Insurgentes, although it seems to be quite a challenging listen?  I agree 100% with your above comment concerning the way to listen to a prog album, and tend not to Yt 'singles' for that reason. When it comes to my partner and a new Within Temptation album however (for example), it's very much about the singles, so she knows three songs before the album is released... we listen to different music for different reasons.  

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 13:00

Thanks Jose... I'll look forward to hearing it in due course and have intended to pick up Insurgentes, although it seems to be quite a challenging listen?  I agree 100% with your above comment concerning the way to listen to a prog album, and tend not to Yt 'singles' for that reason. When it comes to my partner and a new Within Temptation album however (for example), it's very much about the singles, so she knows three songs before the album is released... we listen to different music for different reasons.  
What prog album is not a challenge..?? LOL It was for me originally, but after so many spins it began to grow roots with me. Now I spin it at least once a month during my listening sessions, it has more of that shoegaze type mood.
The first time wife and I saw SW live on the GFD tour a lot of the material was Insurgentes, which was great. SW came out wearing the gas mask on one of the songs, that was kinda weird Clap. We've seen him live 3x.....

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 18:20

And you are quite right to do so.. Clap Furthermore, if you had independently spotted the musical connections between these three albums without any hint from SW, then I'd say you have a very finely tuned musical ear. All I can say is that between you, Brendan and Cristi, the PMT is in safe hands.. Star

I merely base my comparisons on the albums I know and enjoy, which I freely admit paint a rather patchy picture. I know of but have never paid any attention to his Storm Corrosion album, however it's one I'll certainly check out in time... I simply couldn't get into or appreciate the sound palette of Heritage at all and if I'm being quite honest, don't think I would have noticed any musical comparison between it and GfD, even if SW himself had sat me down and asked me to play them back to back, pointing out key references on the way....  

Thank you, I appreciate the shoutout Thumbs Up Being on the PM team has been really fun and rewarding so far - of course, the benefit of discovering a bunch of new bands is always nice as well Wink

Also, to your defense, I don't really hear a ton of similarities between the three albums either. Grace for Drowning and Storm Corrosion are similar in some ways, but Heritage seems like the odd one out. In any case, GfD would probably be my second favorite SW solo album after HCE Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 18:22

Another thread derailed.

How? We've been talking about PT/SW the entire time, so it's not like we completely changed subjects LOL

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: May 23 2022 at 20:08
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Another thread derailed.

How? We've been talking about PT/SW the entire time, so it's not like we completely changed subjects LOL

While Prog fans commonly appreciate twists and turns in the music, it seems that that is fairly often not so appreciated when it comes to forum threads. ;) For me the best long-running conversations tend not to be very faithful to how they began and do take twists and turns. I tend to enjoy digressions provided it's not bickering or very negative and the like, but lord knows, I was born a rambling man. Speaking of negativity, regarding Porcupine Tree's "Herd Culling", I'd just as soon choose that it had been culled so that I never would have herd it. Pretty meh to my ears, but then maybe I just don't "get" Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree.

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 02:17

Thank you, I appreciate the shoutout Thumbs Up Being on the PM team has been really fun and rewarding so far - of course, the benefit of discovering a bunch of new bands is always nice as well Wink

Also, to your defense, I don't really hear a ton of similarities between the three albums either. Grace for Drowning and Storm Corrosion are similar in some ways, but Heritage seems like the odd one out. In any case, GfD would probably be my second favorite SW solo album after HCE Big smile

Storm Corrosion is poasibly the link, then, I guess - as you hear similarities between GfD and SD, but Heritage seems the odd one out to you. For me, there is no real odd one out, but if I had to pick one, I would have said GfD. I find SC and Heritage to be incredibly similar and reminiscent of each other. Far more so than SC and GfD to my ears, anyway.

GfD would probably also be my second favourite SW album (though after TFB, not HCE). Insurgentes, Hand and Bone are probably battling it out for third place, and it depends on my mood and the day which would be the victor.

As for derailing, I have never thought this thread has derailed at all. It has remained on topic the whole time, which is kind of a miracle on this forum. I suppose it is subjective as to what is “on topic”, so if you are particularly anal and pedantic about it, I guess it has gone off on a tangent, but it is one so acutely close, it has barely diverged. 🤷🏻‍♂️

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 02:27

Storm Corrosion is poasibly the link, then, I guess - as you hear similarities between GfD and SD, but Heritage seems the odd one out to you. For me, there is no real odd one out, but if I had to pick one, I would have said GfD. I find SC and Heritage to be incredibly similar and reminiscent of each other. Far more so than SC and GfD to my ears, anyway.

GfD would probably also be my second favourite SW album (though after TFB, not HCE). Insurgentes, Hand and Bone are probably battling it out for third place, and it depends on my mood and the day which would be the victor.

As for derailing, I have never thought this thread has derailed at all. It has remained on topic the whole time, which is kind of a miracle on this forum. I suppose it is subjective as to what is “on topic”, so if you are particularly anal and pedantic about it, I guess it has gone off on a tangent, but it is one so acutely close, it has barely diverged. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think for me it's because GfD and SC both share a more experimental stance toward prog, whereas Heritage is much more in the "retro-prog" vein. Obviously Wilson would eventually adopt that approach with Raven (which is a big part of why it's not my favorite SW album), but GfD still strikes me as a more experimental and forward-thinking record for his solo career. In all honesty, though, maybe I need to revisit Heritage; it's easily my least-played Opeth album, and I've never been all that impressed during the listens I have given it. 

I think my SW ranking would go like this at the moment:

HCE
Raven
TTB (underrated stuff in my opinion)
GfD (still excellent though, despite being #4)
Insurgentes
TFB (still has its moments for sure)

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 02:36
Really? I find GfD to be the most retro of SW’s solo albums! But it is both retro and experimental. And that is, for me, what Heritage also is. And probably why I favour it over Pale Communion, which everyone else seems to love. For me, Heritage and GfD are very complementary, and PC and Raven are very complementary. The former couple are both a delightful mix of retro and experimental, while the latter two just seem to dwell to much in the retro to interest me much. It doesn’t mean they’re not good albums, or that I don’t like them, but I find them the least interesting and enjoyable.

GfD, Heritage and SC all have that weird retro/experimental thing going on, and I don’t know why I can hear it and you can’t. It never even occurred to me that others might not find the same resemblances and complementary nature I do (which is incredibly arrogant of me, and I feel a right numpty for thinking that way), because it just seems so overt and explicit to me that all three feel connected in some way.

TTB is definitely underrated, and I’m glad to see you put it in third in your rankings. That is probably where it most often figures in mine, too, though HCE and Insurgentes definitely give it a run for its money!

[EDIT] Today I’m feeling like it’s:

The Future Bites
Grace for Drowning
—//—
To the Bone
Hand Cannot Erase
Insurgentes
—//—
Raven

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 02:44
Don't get me wrong, GfD definitely has its retro parts for sure. To me though, about 80% of Raven - as much as I enjoy the record - just plays out like a retro pastiche. Still well-made songs in my opinion, but I have to be in the right kind of mindset to enjoy that album. Well, I guess the outlier would be the title track, which is more like Wilson's take on Radiohead LOL (I suppose that's why I said 80%)

To each their own though. To be honest, my problems with Heritage have less to do with the retro stuff, and more to do with the album being a bit aimless and scatterbrained for me. As far as I'm concerned, Opeth's post-Watershed output has only gotten better with each album (I'm still a bit mixed on Pale Communion though, to be fair) Smile Funny how their 60+ minute 2000s records often felt like they went by more quickly than a 55-minute album like Pale Communion

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 07:02

Another thread derailed.

The thread title is Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour.

Anyway, Steven Wilson's favorite cheese is Halloumi. Anyone ever had Halloumi cheese? Wink

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 07:14
I don't think the thread has derailed in any way, the conversation has still been about the band and its members. 

another new song, that's pretty good

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 07:45
^Hmmm. I wouldn't call it pretty good. Average at best. So samey and predictable. Mellow part into heavy part, back to mellow part then heavy part, end with mellow part. Rinse and repeat.

I'm glad I've heard four songs from the new album, as it has convinced me not to buy it.

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 07:53
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't think the thread has derailed in any way, the conversation has still about the band and its members.
Multiple posts of Storm Corrosion, Opeth, and SW solo material? I haven't heard much discussion of Wilson's new touring band mates... Randy McStine and Nate Navarro. I am familiar with Randy through his work with Marco Minnemann. He is superb. Nate, don't know much about him, but I'm sure he is amazing also. 

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 07:58

I don't think the thread has derailed in any way, the conversation has still about the band and its members.
Multiple posts of Storm Corrosion, Opeth, and SW solo material? I haven't heard much discussion of Wilson's new touring band mates... Randy McStine and Nate Navarro. I am familiar with Randy through his work with Marco Minnemann. He is superb. Nate, don't know much about him, but I'm sure he is amazing also. 

"Derailed" is a harsh word here, they still talked about Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson at least. It didn't bother me. And I usually dislike off-topicness. 

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 08:45
^ He is just living up to his name. And, even if in jest, the only actual attempt at detailing is from The Grumpsta. But what a fantastic derailment!

Yes, I like halloumi. In fact, I love halloumi. It is one of my favourite cheeses, but (of course) I don’t eat it in the same way I eat other cheeses. Halloumi is the steak of cheeses, so the question is, do you like yours rare, medium or well done?

Edam is possibly prog cheese, as it is the only cheese to be made backwards.

Perhaps the next Wilson & Akerfeldt venture could be Cheese Corrosion. That would be a tasty morsel, indeed! Yum!

The Gorgonzola Bites
The Raclette That Refused To Melt

The possibilities are endless!

🧀🧀🧀

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 09:20
I can get behind GFD being retro, not all of it though. That may also be due to the fact SW used different musicians to record GFD......Tony Levin, Nick Beggs, Nic France, Pat Mastelotto for the rhythm section. It just gives songs different flavors and feelings to me.
I remember not liking the album at all on release, God I thought it was so depressing and dark and a downer, I generally have to be in the mood to listen to it. But I do think there is some fantastic writing and production on this record.

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 09:25
I once went into a Swiss cheese hole and got lost. I think I may still be inside one. My posts seem a bit delayed, no doubt to the density of the material it has to travel through.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:39

^ He is just living up to his name. And, even if in jest, the only actual attempt at detailing is from The Grumpsta. But what a fantastic derailment!

Yes, I like halloumi. In fact, I love halloumi. It is one of my favourite cheeses, but (of course) I don’t eat it in the same way I eat other cheeses. Halloumi is the steak of cheeses, so the question is, do you like yours rare, medium or well done?

Perhaps the next Wilson & Akerfeldt venture could be Cheese Corrosion. That would be a tasty morsel, indeed! Yum!

The Gorgonzola Bites

🧀🧀🧀

Didn't know you can eat cheese well done. Please explain. Wilson really needs to team up with Fripp and they could be King Cheese. 

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:52

The Gorgonzola Bites

🧀🧀🧀

Didn't know you can eat cheese well done. Please explain. Wilson really needs to team up with Fripp and they could be King Cheese. 

You’re the one who brought up halloumi. Have you never fried it like a steak? Just as with a steak, you can leave the halloumi in the pan for as little or as long as you like - thus rare, medium or well done. I like my steak (whether meat or cheese) medium. Sometimes medium-rare, depending on exactly what kind of steak. But generally, I would rather if it goes wrong, that it is cooked too long, than cooked too little. I can still eat a steak if it looks cremated, but if it appears to still be able to walk off the plate, it’s not for me.

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:54
and now it's off topic! Disapprove

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 10:58

Have you not been paying attention? Grumpy brought up halloumi on the previous page, and as he is the OP, the topic is in his hands. Or under his grill, potentially? Grilled halloumi is also nice. But I do prefer to fry it. I love to hear that sizzle!

Now sizzle - is that ever a word you associate with SW? Have you ever thought that any PT or SW music is sizzling? I can think of some sizzling prog, but as much as I might like PT and SW, I wouldn’t call any of the music sizzling. Cheesy, perhaps. But not sizzling.

Also, derailment is fine, because PT had that song about trains, so going off the rails is kind of keeping on track…

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 11:02

Have you not been paying attention? Grumpy brought up halloumi on the previous page, and as he is the OP, the topic is in his hands. Or under his grill, potentially? Grilled halloumi is also nice. But I do prefer to fry it. I love to hear that sizzle!

Now sizzle - is that ever a word you associate with SW? Have you ever thought that any PT or SW music is sizzling? I can think of some sizzling prog, but as much as I might like PT and SW, I wouldn’t call any of the music sizzling. Cheesy, perhaps. But not sizzling.

Also, derailment is fine, because PT had that song about trains, so going off the rails is kind of keeping on track…

He's not the OP.

Let's get back on topic. 

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 11:25
Oh, yes, I see. I guess I assumed he was the OP, since he was the first person to moan about this being off-topic.

And, of course, moaning about it being off topic is what caused it to become off topic.

Also, I brought it back on track, but you ignored that.

Give me your best sizzling SW moment. Go!

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 11:44
For those interested in Nate Navarro (touring bassist with SW) here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/c/NathanNavarro/videos

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 12:40

The thread title is Porcupine Tree New Album and Tour.

Anyway, Steven Wilson's favorite cheese is Halloumi. Anyone ever had Halloumi cheese? Wink

Honestly, every day is a school day. For some reason I thought SW was a vegan, so I thought Grumpy was just joking about the Halloumi.

Thanks for the education, Mr Grumspsta! It is appreciated. I guess that’s my something new for the day. 🤗

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_im_a_vegetarian_because_i_believe_humans_dont_have_any_right_to_eat_animals.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/steven_wilson_im_a_vegetarian_because_i_believe_humans_dont_have_any_right_to_eat_animals.html

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 14:30
I've never tried it, but apparently it's a squeaky cheese. Steven should make a concept album about it.

https://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-iq/squeaky-cheeses/" rel="nofollow - https://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-iq/squeaky-cheeses/

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 14:54
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I've never tried it, but apparently it's a squeaky cheese. Steven should make a concept album about it.

https://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-iq/squeaky-cheeses/" rel="nofollow - https://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-iq/squeaky-cheeses/
Concept album for sure.  LOL

Very informative. Thanks! I've never tried it either. Article says it tastes similar to Mozzarella. 

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:03

Very informative. Thanks! I've never tried it either. Article says it tastes similar to Mozzarella. 

It doesn’t taste like mozzarella to me, but I guess taste can be subjective and individual.

I do love halloumi, though. I prefer it hit to cold, bland prefer it fried to grilled, but I’ll eat it however. You can get halloumi “fries” at places like McDonalds and Burger King these days. It used to be a cheese not many knew about, but now it is fairly ubiquitous.

I first found out about it when I holidayed in Cyprus. I’d never heard of it before, but it was love at first bite!

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:45

It doesn’t taste like mozzarella to me, but I guess taste can be subjective and individual.

I do love halloumi, though. I prefer it hit to cold, bland prefer it fried to grilled, but I’ll eat it however. You can get halloumi “fries” at places like McDonalds and Burger King these days. It used to be a cheese not many knew about, but now it is fairly ubiquitous.

I first found out about it when I holidayed in Cyprus. I’d never heard of it before, but it was love at first bite!

Man, I'd love to go back to Cyprus. I only went there once during my 2018 deployment, but the food there was so good... including some of the best grilled lamb chops I've ever had Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:47
I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Someone is laughing his arse off. 

Date Posted: May 24 2022 at 16:16

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Some is laughing his arse off. 

.....pull my finger....

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2022 at 01:30

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Someone is laughing his arse off. 

To be fair, it is still able to be related back to SW, because he is quoted as saying halloumi is his favourite cheese. I have Grumpy to thank for that, as that is something about SW I never knew, and it is a fact that I am likely to now always remember.

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2022 at 01:31

I can't believe the thread went off topic because of... cheese. Some is laughing his arse off. 

.....pull my finger....

Will it squeak like halloumi?

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2022 at 05:09

To be fair, it is still able to be related back to SW, because he is quoted as saying halloumi is his favourite cheese. I have Grumpy to thank for that, as that is something about SW I never knew, and it is a fact that I am likely to now always remember.

Your welcome. I strive to entertain and educate.

More Wilson trivia. Two movies he enjoys are 12 Angry Men and The Exorcist. He's also a fan of The Carpenters.

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: September 16 2022 at 05:50
Wow, they blew me away live the other day. God-damn!!!!!Shocked

Date Posted: September 16 2022 at 12:33
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Wow, they blew me away live the other day. God-damn!!!!!Shocked

Excellent!! I see them in 2 weeks...

-------------

Date Posted: September 19 2022 at 05:25
Hi,

I'll gladly miss all this. I did not think that the material shown around from the new album was that great, or "better" than a lot of things out there ... and I think that many have confused the incredibly well recorded manner of the album, for the artistry of the songs that was not there.

The medium is NOT the message! PERIOD!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: September 19 2022 at 19:39
Many positive reviews popping up elsewhere about the live shows since Toronto, especially the DC show. I know some folks that went to that show and came away with more than positive vibes. Said the band sounded fantastic...

-------------

Date Posted: September 20 2022 at 07:19

Many positive reviews popping up elsewhere about the live shows since Toronto, especially the DC show. I know some folks that went to that show and came away with more than positive vibes. Said the band sounded fantastic...

Hi,

The band, or even SW, has ALWAYS sounded fantastic on stage. You can check this out on many videos, and it was quite clear that they worked at making sure they sounded right, and good.

It made for a nice evening, and yeah, a positive vibe, even in the show that Richard was forced to do the music without his trusty Prophet 5 (took a spill on the airport and they could not fix it before showtime!) ... in 1999 ... in SF ... and while a roadie said they sounded terrible, I have to tell you that they sounded absolutely magnificent and that show should have been recorded for an album ... maybe a slightly different version of this or that, but still ... strong, and very well done!

My tastes, and experiences, however, died after seeing GONG three times and spending time with them on the 2nd go. Not that they did not sound right, or good in the show, but in the end, sometimes, their time has already showing signs of fading. I doubt this will be the case for PT, mostly because I really thought that the production values in the material on the new album were outstanding, and WAY BETTER THAN THE MUSIC ITSELF, which for me makes for a slightly fake thing. It took away the meaning of the whole thing to a less than important value!

I'll save my money ... thanks! Only one person I would love to see, and never will ... Peter Hammill with or without VdGG. Too late for Vangelis, and I doubt we will ever see Mike Oldfield in America! 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk