Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129041
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 18:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: RIP Alan White
Posted By: lazland
Subject: RIP Alan White
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 10:31
This incredibly sad news deserves a thread of its own and in the lounge.

The legendary Alan White has passed away.  https://www.facebook.com/imaginealanwhite" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/imaginealanwhite  

An incredible drummer, an extremely nice man, our love and best wishes must go to the family, and thanks for some incredible musical memories.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Replies:
Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 10:32
one more very sad news
RIP Alan

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 10:34
A real great oneHeart---and great humble guy. RIPCry

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 10:39
I have seen him with Yes several times, and he was at a Steve Hackett concert in Seattle I attended a few years ago. Sad news indeed. Cry

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: judahbenkenobi
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 10:45
Cry sad, sad news indeed.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 10:46
Just heard of this a minute ago. So sad. Another of rock's royalty gone. RIP Alan. Cry

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 11:10
Another great loss of the world of Prog.
RIP.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 11:17
They had just announced the next Yes tour and the article had said that Alan White was not able to participate because of health issues.  I was worried that this news was probably coming, but I am sad to hear of his passing.  Cry

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 11:31
shocking and sad news
RIP 

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 11:38
I just saw this. Very sad to hear. I met Alan years ago at the NAMM show in California.
 Super nice guy & a great drummer. He will be missed. 

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 11:54
Very, very sad news........Such a force behind the kit for Yes. The prog world and Seattle has lost another wonderful person.

-------------

Posted By: SuperMetro
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 11:57
What will become of Yes now? Will they get a drummer that will will make them sound more like a cover band or will they hopefully stop. 

I was shocked to hear of this news of Alan White's death. He s probably playing with John Lennon and Chris Squire now. 

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 12:19
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

What will become of Yes now? Will they get a drummer that will will make them sound more like a cover band or will they hopefully stop. 

I was shocked to hear of this news of Alan White's death. He s probably playing with John Lennon and Chris Squire now. 

I don't think he's been able to drum properly for a while now, Yes have been using a second drummer. I knew he wasn't in the best of health but this is a great shock. RIP Alan, heaven has a great prog rhythm section now.

Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 12:51
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

sadly they will  never stop ---its the only way some of them can make money --Howe and Downes only ones financially secure.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 13:36
Another of the very great ones has left us, such sad news...

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 13:38
Cry

Rest in Peace Alan. 

It was an unforgettabble experience to see Yes in 2003.

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 13:48
Cry

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 13:53
Sad, sad news.. RIP Alan.. up there with Chris once again making that fantastic thunderous rhythm section that made YES such a musical force to be reckoned with. 

-------------

Posted By: UnderGround
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 14:26
What a great drummer!
R.I.P.
Cry

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 14:40
As a huge long time Yes fan this was very sad to hear. I even met him once and he was very nice and down to earth. RIP Alan. 

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 14:41
RIP Alan White and Hollywood actor Ray Liotta who also died today.

Cry

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 14:57
He did look quite bad the last video they released. But this is still very sad. 

RIP

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 15:02
Cry RIP Alan White. This is turning into a painful year for prog. I'm so glad I got to see Yes "in the round."

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 15:17
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

This incredibly sad news deserves a thread of its own and in the lounge.

The legendary Alan White has passed away.  https://www.facebook.com/imaginealanwhite" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/imaginealanwhite  

An incredible drummer, an extremely nice man, our love and best wishes must go to the family, and thanks for some incredible musical memories.

Thanks, Steve, that is a lovely eulogy! 

My wife Virginia and I met Alan backstage after the Yes 35th Anniversary show in Chicago.  I remember him being VERY sweet to Ginny, and a very nice & generous chap, free with his time and delighted to sign our programs and pose for photos.  A true Prog legend.  Listening to "Soundchaser" now, his drumming was sublime. 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 15:53
RIP Alan. 

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Chaser
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:01
Alan's drum solo at the beginning of Sound Chaser consistently blew me away. My second favourite Yes drummer (after Bill) and will be sorely missed. RIP Alan White - you gave so much to music and enriched many people.

-------------
Songs cast a light on you

Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:02
He said recently Relayer was his fav Yes album----he is amazing on it. Prog ---Jazz---pop prog 90125---he could do all of it.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:38
The all powerfull forces of time have taken another great artist, human being and overall nice guy. He'll be missed for sure, and his legacy will live forever. My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:42
Deserves all the props in the world. Had big shoes to fill following Bruford but he nailed it and brought his own style. Remained a key to the Yes brand throughout the decades, and a friend of mine who knows him confirms he was a sweet and funny guy. Rest in peace - we’ll miss you Alan.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:43
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Cry RIP Alan White. This is turning into a painful year for prog. I'm so glad I go to see Yes "in the round."
lucky you indeed!

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 16:49
Alan White, Andy Fletcher, and Ray Liotta all in the same day? Goddamn Cry

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 17:03
just when you think St. Peter's house band certainly has no shortage of great drummers they ask for another one Cry. R.I.P.

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 17:09
Makes me think of the 90125 days when Yes seemed to be selling out.   It was only a bit later we realized what a great thing the Cinema project was, and Alan was a big part of that, sometimes seeming to be the only level-headed one on stage between a podgy Squire lumbering around in a fur coat, diminutive and Smurf-like Jon drenched in blue light, Tony Kaye largely covert, and Rabin doing his best Eddie VH impression.  

Easily one of the best session drummers in the business and among a handful of level-headed and unassuming rock musicians.   He'll be greatly missed.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: King K. Rimson
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 17:12
RIP Alan White. What a shame. Just the other day I read that he had to step out of the next tour for health reasons. I didn't expect something like this to happen so suddenly. 

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 17:44

Posted By: Yrgal
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 19:31
RIP Alan White. So sad...Cry

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 19:50
Spinning Tales tonight, his first (studio) album with the band. A top 5 Yes record for me.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 26 2022 at 21:41
Saw Alan several times with Yes...Going for the One, Drama, 9012Live, Union, etc. Great drummer, adieu.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: WJA-K
Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 00:21
Sad news indeed. R.I.P. Alan White.

Relayer on repeat for me today.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 02:06
Great drummer , was only listening to Catherine Parr yesterday and enjoying his hard hitting style although with real chops to back it up. Silent Wings of Freedom is another favourite. RIP Alan.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 02:38
Another household name in prog has left us. RIP Alan Wite.

-------------

Posted By: Rick1
Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 04:01
Three days to learn Yes material before the tour started?  Crikey!  Fantastic drummer.  

Posted By: Rottenprogger
Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 04:21
Listening to the first disc of the PROGENY box set while I type this and Alan's drumming is amazing. Can't believe he only had such a short time to learn such complicated material before the tour! What an incredible talent!

R.I.P. to another prog legend. Broken Heart

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 06:55
RIP

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 07:06
Another sad passing.  He had some big shoes to fill when he joined Yes.  He did and admirable job.  R.I.P.

Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 09:01
Alan had swing and funk---and half of one of the best rhythm sections in prog

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 10:21
Another legend...I'm really growing old, I think it's in the nature of the things.
I've seen him live with yes at least three times. Also together with Bruford in the Onion tour.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: paisanojac
Date Posted: May 27 2022 at 20:25
So sad to learn this morning that Alan White has passed away. My condolences to his family.  I was lucky enough to see him perform live 26 times over the years. He will be missed for sure, but he's jammin' with Chris Squire now. 

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: May 28 2022 at 06:18
Very sad, stunning news. A solid force behind the drums. Was listening to his snappy performance on Magnification's Can You Imagine just last night.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 29 2022 at 05:40
He took over from one of the best drummers in prog and I actually think his more rocky style suited Yes better in the path they chose.
He will be very sadly missed. RIP.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: felonafan
Date Posted: May 29 2022 at 16:38
R. I. P., Alan!

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: May 30 2022 at 08:50
Another great drummer of the classic prog era left us. He is responsible for some of the best pages of Yes.

RIP hard.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: May 30 2022 at 12:16
Just an amazing drummer. I first saw him live on the Relayer tour, and have always loved his performances. He was really struggling when Yes did the Drama-Topo tour, but he was always a Starship Trooper. Always a smile on his face-he just loved being with his bandmates. I’m as teary eyed as when we lost Chris in ‘15.

Posted By: EduTatsumi
Date Posted: May 30 2022 at 12:23
Your work on Yessongs was fantastic!!! One of the most important drummers in the prog

RIP

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: June 20 2022 at 21:45
RIP!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk