Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129224
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 12:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 20th Anniversary Thread
Posted By: Cboi Sandlin
Subject: 20th Anniversary Thread
Date Posted: June 26 2022 at 15:10
I don't know the exact day this site was started, but I beleive that it says this site started in 2002, which was 20 years ago. To celebrate this, I would like to invite some of the founders and early members of this server to come on this thread and discuss how it was like in the early days of the site and how the site has evolved over the years. I have only been on this site for a little more than a year, so I would love to hear about how this site was before I came onto the site.

Replies:
Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 26 2022 at 16:18
Neat suggestion, maybe later for me, too much else going on at the moment --

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 26 2022 at 16:22
Oof I'm old.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: June 27 2022 at 17:27
Please chime in Micky and Raffaella!

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 27 2022 at 20:14
Finding Prog Archives was, and still is, a very happy and joyful experience for me. I come almost every day, to find music, artists, comments, etc. In general, a very positive experience.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 27 2022 at 20:24
I registered on 20 July, 2009....this site is great!  It is nice to know all of you, as best as electrons allow! 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: June 27 2022 at 22:44
It remains a vital archival source of information. The forum is far less used than it used to be. It drives me round the bend on many an occasion. I would, however, be slightly lost without this site and I am most grateful for some of the extremely nice people I have met.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 00:45
Not old guard, but I've been lurking around for 14 quickly passed years and still passing by now and then. The site started on 29 January 2004 (the day when M@X signed up), but there must have been some sort of predecessor since 2002 according to some rumours I've read.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 01:09
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It remains a vital archival source of information. The forum is far less used than it used to be. It drives me round the bend on many an occasion. I would, however, be slightly lost without this site and I am most grateful for some of the extremely nice people I have met.
Pretty much sums me up as well......Enjoy some of the people I have met, but honestly a large majority of those people have been gone for the past 5yrs or more. 
And to the OP this is where most of the history lies, I think, with so many members that have left the site. I was probably a lurker for 2 yrs before I officially joined in 2009. 
It continues to be a great archival resource.......The forums were so much more alive back in the day.

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 02:08
Friede and I joined in 2005 and have some great memories about it, most noteworthy the many "Get Well" messages we received when we had the car accident (that resulted in broken bits for both of us) on our way to the meeting in the Hague in 2006

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 04:11
I joined on January 24th, 2010, and since then, PA has been an important and appreciated way that I can discuss progressive rock with folks that will listen and understand; most of my friends are not into it the way I am, and my family members couldn't care less!
           Most of all, over the years I have enjoyed talking about and sharing my enthusiasm for the music of Triumvirat, and I am grateful to those who have bothered to listen and make comments about it.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 04:56
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

I don't know the exact day this site was started, but I beleive that it says this site started in 2002, which was 20 years ago. To celebrate this, I would like to invite some of the founders and early members of this server to come on this thread and discuss how it was like in the early days of the site and how the site has evolved over the years. I have only been on this site for a little more than a year, so I would love to hear about how this site was before I came onto the site.

you won't find much about the first version of PA. That was before M@X  and Proglucly bought  from a dude in Florida. However, the new Québécois owners kept the dominant colours (Black, Purple & Orange) and some bands contents, but there was no forum or anything of the sort (at least, I think)

The real start (public launch) of PA dates from late January 2004 >> that's as early as you'll find forum posts or review dates

Soooo, depending on your outlook, PA is either almost 20.5 or 18.5 years old. 

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 09:54
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Please chime in Micky and Raffaella!

Thank you so much for remembering us, DrewSmile. I check the forums every day, but these days I tend to look mostly at the General Discussions. My interest in prog - especially new prog - has waned considerably in the past few years, and I feel I have very little to say. However, this site will always have a special place in my heart, and I hope it will not go the way of so many other forums. In spite of the attempts by some people to disrupt the atmosphere, PA is still a remarkably civilized place, and a nice community of people who are connected by their love of music and other good things in life.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 10:25
In the early days I seem to remember there were a lot of ELP threads that caused  general annoyance. After that it settled down to what seems an endless discussion about 'what is prog?'.Wink 
On a negative note too many people have left and that's a concern to me. Don't understand it , I mean where else to go on the net for a discussion about prog? 

Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 10:31
I can't help but prostrate myself to those experts and educated people who have helped open a whole HUGE world of music to me--a world far broader and deeper than I'd ever imagined it. To know prog from places like Uzbekistan ("Howdy, From.UZ!"), Belarus ("Hi, Olga and Vitaly!"), Finland ("Where are you, Markus P?"), Argentina ("Hey, Lalo & Catù!"), New Zealand (Jakob! Mice on Stilts!), and even Cuba (Anima Mundi!) has been so far beyond my wildest imaginings--I feel so grateful--and it has all been made possible by this wonderful site.
Then to be privileged to read insider experiences from so many learned, insightful, articulate (and often very humorous) peoplesons! What an honor!

-------------
Drew Fisher

Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 13:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

In the early days I seem to remember there were a lot of ELP threads that caused  general annoyance. After that it settled down to what seems an endless discussion about 'what is prog?'.Wink

And in the thick of things, there was ThreeFates who bragged about how many liters of spunk from GL she swallowed.

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

On a negative note too many people have left and that's a concern to me. Don't understand it , I mean where else to go on the net for a discussion about prog?

Well the place was always a wild-west free-for-all with plenty of great people but a bunch of severily twisted dudes - who often turned into arseholes (thinking of Velvet Clown)

But yeah, a lot of people I miss around (Easy Livin', Trotsky, Syzygy, Alucard), and plenty ,of others, whose knowledge and love of proressive rock made this place great.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Rottenprogger
Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 14:57
Relatively speaking I'm a still newbie around these parts but I can safely say that PA really opened my eyes (and ears) into the vastness of prog and its' many sub-genres. Being able to discuss it in an intelligent manner with people of like mind on these forums is great and I hope that PA sticks around for years to come.

Happy 20th Anniversary! Clap

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: June 28 2022 at 15:29
I joined at the end of 2004, although I did have quite a bit of time off for bad behaviour. It's nice to know that a few of the old guard are still going strong - looking at you, Sean Trane and the Baldies!

Back then there was a lot of time spent winding up ELP and Dream Theater fans (I'm not proud of it, but it was hard to resist), but also lots of reviews of interesting obscurities and overlooked gems.

There were several meet ups with people I met on PA in London, Brussels, The Hague, Canterbury and Carmaux. None of them turned out to be organ harvesters or serial killers, and all turned out to be interesting, well rounded individuals with impeccable taste in music and damned fine company for an evening of food, drink and rather silly behaviour.

The forum is less active than it used to be, but it’s still a fantastic source of information to which I will continue to make sporadic contributions.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: June 29 2022 at 02:22
I joined in October 2004 if I remember correctly. A colleague told me about the site

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 29 2022 at 04:05
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

There were several meet ups with people I met on PA in London, Brussels, The Hague, Canterbury and Carmaux. None of them turned out to be organ harvesters or serial killers, and all turned out to be interesting, well rounded individuals with impeccable taste in music and damned fine company for an evening of food, drink and rather silly behaviour.

Strangely enough, that's pretty much what my wife said when I told her I was meeting up with some people from a music forum that I'd never met before - "how do you know they're not axe murderers?".
As you say, they turned out to be interesting people, some of whom I'm still in touch with 16-17 years later, so it's about time we had another London prog curry night Chris.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: June 29 2022 at 04:58
I've been visiting the PA database and reading album reviews for about 15 years. But as you can see, I only joined the forum on New Years Day 2018. I did so to contribute to a discussion about whether or not King Gizzard belong to PA (they do).

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 29 2022 at 05:47
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Strangely enough, that's pretty much what my wife said when I told her I was meeting up with some people from a music forum that I'd never met before - "how do you know they're not axe murderers?".
As you say, they turned out to be interesting people, some of whom I'm still in touch with 16-17 years later, so it's about time we had another London prog curry night Chris.

yeah that was a good night although I remember having to deliberately having to ignore a separate conversation about the 'sacrilegious' nature of ELP's Pictures at An Exhibition. I'm glad I stayed out of that one and it remained a pleasant evening lol.

Date Posted: June 29 2022 at 05:52

Guilty of being present at all of them 

Yup, that first Prog Curry in Paddington was way too short IMHO, for the last call in London pubs are just too early, IMnotsoHO.  Not saying they should've lasted until dawn, but a little later than midnight. 

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 29 2022 at 08:42
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yup, that first Prog Curry in Paddington was way too short IMHO, for the last call in London pubs are just too early, IMnotsoHO.  Not saying they should've lasted until dawn, but a little later than midnight. 

And you were no axe murderer, I'm pleased to say.
I'm sure we could find a pub that's open until the small hours now Hugues.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 29 2022 at 13:26
I joined in 2009 but wasn’t a regular until a couple of years later. Made several good friends along the way. Done some time on the genre teams and writing reviews, but lately I just lurk on a couple of threads and occasionally reconnect with friends. Would have been interesting to be around at the start.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: June 29 2022 at 15:38
I initially joined in 2005 but under a different user name (that shall remain unknown to all except me and maybe one or two moderators). I had some issues with a few people and since they wouldn't ban me I quit. A little under two years after I left, I rejoined with my current username. For the most part, this place has improved a lot over the years (same with PE).

Date Posted: June 29 2022 at 22:26

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

And you were no axe murderer, I'm pleased to say.
I'm sure we could find a pub that's open until the small hours now Hugues.

I'm jealous! Every time I try to plan a get-together with anyone from PA they either die, disappear, or COVID locks us down! (Or maybe it's just cuz I really am an axe murdererWink)

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 01:18
I miss :

Jody (TheProgtologist), James (Gecko), Lee (Man Erg), Ricochet, The Whistler, Avestin, TonyR, Bob (EasyLivin), Dalezilla, Chamberry, Finnforest, Dean, and now Iain (ExttheLemming).

Anyone who's been here for a long time should check their old PMs starting back with the first ones you received or wrote.   You may see people you forgot about.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 06:13
I enjoy the streamlined PA as it's become over the last 10 years as the there's less wackos. I do miss a few of the old hands but life moves on. I must say that I appreciate everyone's musical opinions here. Except for Sean Trane, who insists that the early incarnation of Renaissance with the ex Yardbirds is better than the Annie Haslam/Michael Dunford led incarnation. LOL

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 06:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I enjoy the streamlined PA as it's become over the last 10 years as the there's less wackos. I do miss a few of the old hands but life moves on. I must say that I appreciate everyone's musical opinions here. Except for Sean Trane, who insists that the early incarnation of Renaissance with the ex Yardbirds is better than the Annie Haslam/Michael Dunford led incarnation. LOL

For years I resisted listening to that original Renaissance album--precisely due to my allegiance to the lineup we all came to know and love. But I have recently given it a chance and, from the first, I really liked it. It is a wonderful album with wonderful music--sincerely and expertly constructed by some fine musicians. 

I don't quite understand how the next incarnation decided to hold onto the ex-Yardbirds' original moniker (with that radical change in lineup, I would have changed my band's name), but here we are. Though they are two different entities, there is some consistency in mood and style--and definitely a high standard of music--to both expressions.

-------------
Drew Fisher

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 06:50
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

For years I resisted listening to that original Renaissance album--precisely due to my allegiance to the lineup we all came to know and love. But I have recently given it a chance and, from the first, I really liked it. It is a wonderful album with wonderful music--sincerely and expertly constructed by some fine musicians. 

I don't quite understand how the next incarnation decided to hold onto the ex-Yardbirds' original moniker (with that radical change in lineup, I would have changed my band's name), but here we are. Though they are two different entities, there is some consistency in mood and style--and definitely a high standard of music--to both expressions.

Tbh, I think it's a case of apples and oranges. I like the oranges better, but you cant fault someone for liking the apples.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 22:02
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I miss :

Jody (TheProgtologist), James (Gecko), Lee (Man Erg), Ricochet, The Whistler, Avestin, TonyR, Bob (EasyLivin), Dalezilla, Chamberry, Finnforest, Dean, and now Iain (ExttheLemming).

Anyone who's been here for a long time should check their old PMs starting back with the first ones you received or wrote.   You may see people you forgot about.

Good call......I miss as well TheProgtologist, Tony R (winner of the freakiest avatar LOL), Dean (even though we had 'excitable' discussions, although always respectful), Finnforest, QueenByTor (my lady Rush friend), The T and I am many more.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 22:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I miss :

Good call......I miss as well TheProgtologist, Tony R (winner of the freakiest avatar LOL), Dean (even though we had 'excitable' discussions, although always respectful), Finnforest, QueenByTor (my lady Rush friend), The T and I am many more.
I'll add Padraic, Epignosis, Raff and micky to this list.  I know that Raff gives us a visit from time to time, as does Skeletor, but I definitely miss the daily interactions with them.  Heck, I even miss Ivan M.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 22:35
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I miss :

I'll add Padraic, Epignosis, Raff and micky to this list.  I know that Raff gives us a visit from time to time, as does Skeletor, but I definitely miss the daily interactions with them.  Heck, I even miss Ivan M.
Ahhh yes....Epignosis aka Skeletor!! I keep asking him when the new Epignosis release is coming. I too miss Ivan M.
All very colorful discussion we had....

-------------

Posted By: PaulG
Date Posted: July 06 2022 at 19:00
     Happy 20th Prog Archives. I recall the days leading up
to the launch of the website there being a progressive rock ring that directed traffic to different Prog websites and forums. I first found Prog archives through this ring. If I recall correctly this was late 2002 or 2003 and a much smaller version was running and the original members who started this site were talking of the launch of the official site late 2003. I recall the launch of the official Prog archives late 2003 early 2004 and all of the excitement.
     The site grew quickly and became quite large at one point. There would be a lot of traffic and people to talk to. Things surely have changed. Seemed there was always a fight between the Prog metal/Dream Theater camp and the classic prog/ELP etc camp. I for one miss this. A lot of good discussions resulted. Goes to show the times were that different with several relatively new genres to progressive music.
     The new names of genres were discussed and created here with very interesting and learned people researching and contributing together inventing these names/genres.   I don’t think we could squeeze a new genre out now. Seemed there was always talk of new genres then. Exciting times for progressive music. I made friends with people from across the globe as I discovered new bands from around the world. Goes to show how music unites us and can be healing.   

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: July 12 2022 at 03:19

Another prog curry night is an excellent idea, Alan.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 22 2022 at 18:28

I miss :

Those were the days!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk