Print Page | Close Window

Could TLLDOB be considered proto- neo prog?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129256
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 19:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Could TLLDOB be considered proto- neo prog?
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Could TLLDOB be considered proto- neo prog?
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 07:13
I was thinking about how The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway has mostly shorter songs yet still is usually thought of as being full blown prog. It also has a sound (like the two after it) that probably influenced a lot of neo-prog. I'm not trying to discredit it's prog credentials here or anything but being how much neo-prog tends to be less complex and more song oriented I'm wondering if Lamb could be considered "proto-neo." I don't think it's the first neo album of course but I think it may have had a big influence on the scene. Opinions?

Replies:
Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 07:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I was thinking about how The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway has mostly shorter songs yet still is usually thought of as being full blown prog. It also has a sound (like the two after it) that probably influenced a lot of neo-prog. I'm not trying to discredit it's prog credentials here or anything but being how much neo-prog tends to be less complex and more song oriented I'm wondering if Lamb could be considered "proto-neo." I don't think it's the first neo album of course but I think it may have had a big influence on the scene. Opinions?
There's no doubt in my mind that the album was a big influence on early Marillion, but that in no way renders it proto neo anything. It was prog rock.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 07:36
I think if we try to invent one more sub genera of prog (Proto - Neo) the web site may actually explode causing bodily harm to millions of people across the internet. I wouldn't risk it ! LOL

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 07:51
Genesis were a big influence on neo prog, period.

Most of their songs are relatively short, compared to many of their contemporaries. The principle of segueing shorter songs into each other is clearly in play on The Lamb as it is on Marillion's Misplaced Childhood, and other later period prog concept albums.

At the end of the day though, 70's Genesis is just prog. No need for more granular classification IMO.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 07:53
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I think if we try to invent one more sub genera of prog (Prot - Neo) the web site may actually explode causing bodily harm to millions of people across the internet. I wouldn't risk it ! LOL
This is true. We should be eliminating sub genres as a safety measure.

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 08:05
it is a concept album. it is not uncommon at all that there are shorter songs in a concept album when the incident to be described doesn't require a long song, the concept should be seen as a whole.

there are albums that almost completely consist of short songs but nevertheless are prog rock albums, for example "Lucky Leif and the Longships" by Robert Calvert

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 08:34
I tend to go with Trick as the album that showed a marked move towards short form songs. I realise there are way more on Lamb but as it's a concept album I prefer to think of it as more of a whole work which flows (there aren't too many gaps or spaces). But of course it influenced many bands not least IQ who did their own version in Subterranea.
As for Neo Prog it could be seen in the eighties as an extension of symphonic prog especially albums such as Script and Tales From The Lush Attic. Neo Prog became a more fully formed thing standing on its own feet around the time of Season's End and IQ's Ever which actually owe very little to the 70's. Later, Arena and a number of other bands then built on it. The Genesis thing becomes a lot less obvious at least to my ears.

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 09:39
For the record, I was using the term proto-neo prog more as a descriptor than as an official subgenre. Obviously it's something that doesn't exist (unlike say proto prog or proto punk). I was just being speculative and wasn't trying to start a new subgenre or anything. Was Lamb the first neo prog album? No because it came out at least six years too early. It just seems to have a lot of similarities to what the neo prog bands were doing later on (imo). 

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 10:00

For the record, I was using the term proto-neo prog more as a descriptor than as an official subgenre. Obviously it's something that doesn't exist (unlike say proto prog or proto punk). I was just being speculative and wasn't trying to start a new subgenre or anything. Was Lamb the first neo prog album? No because it came out at least six years too early. It just seems to have a lot of similarities to what the neo prog bands were doing later on (imo). 

I honestly don't see any similarities

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 10:07
Hi,

If neo-prog means shorter cuts, that is news to me.

Personally I find the definitions lacking and strictly defined by the song and its faculties, and deciding that the longer piece makes it prog and the shorter piece is neo ... is weird for me, specially when it is the same band, as is the case here.

Thus the request that we stop doing and discussing this and allow one definition for the bulk of the band's work so it makes sense as a whole and not just based on a song.

I, personally, do not think of long piece of music as the most appropriate definition for "progressive rock", although it probably makes bigger and better sense than otherwise, but immediately there will be a thousand folks trashing so much concert material from The Grateful Dead and specially the Fillmore bunch of groups that always expanded their work.

I do think that the abilities and creativity pushes the boundaries of the totality of the music within a band, and for me, after PG, Genesis stopped pushing boundaries except how much money they could make! And that ruins a lot of "progressive music" for me, because there were hundreds of other bands that tried really hard and did well, but would never get the appreciation that Genesis ws lucky to get.

One other thing ... a concept does not 'progressive" make and we should stop using that as an excuse. TLLDOB as probably a concept album, and it might have been better if PG had been allowed to do what he wanted a bit more, but I think the band stopped him from extending anything, and eventually settle for smaller pieces to fill in the story, which ends up being confusing and incomplete, and in reality is quite reminiscent of what became the solo PG ... all songs ... and he was not capable of creating something resembling a concept at all ... which kinda says it all.

But, neo anything, for me ... is probably the stuff that I listen to the least ... 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 10:53
Neuschwanstein - Battlement could be considered proto or even straight up neo prog. ;)

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 11:18
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Genesis were a big influence on neo prog, period.

Most of their songs are relatively short, compared to many of their contemporaries. The principle of segueing shorter songs into each other is clearly in play on The Lamb as it is on Marillion's Misplaced Childhood, and other later period prog concept albums.

At the end of the day though, 70's Genesis is just prog. No need for more granular classification IMO.

This . . .

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 11:50
Rubbing sticks and pounding rocks was proto-everything!

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 12:16
For me Neo Prog is more about the replication of previously established sound palettes--especially the sound/instrument palette created by Genesis for the Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering albums. The Lamb was not really using this lush, synthy-washed sound palette yet. Bands like Marillion, IQ, Pallas, Pendragon, Mystery, The Dear Hunter, et al. use this sound palette to this day. 

I can see the OP's commentary reflecting the similarity of bands like Arena and to The Lamb's style, but perhaps Arena should be considered to be at the very outer fringes of the Neo Prog galaxy. 

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 12:25
"Proto-Neo" is an oxymoron.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 12:59
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

no, it is a "contradiction in terms", which many people confuse with "oxymoron". an oxymoron is a rhetoric figure that combines 2 seemingly opposing concepts like "bittersweet", "deafening silence" or "open secret"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 13:35
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

no, it is a "contradiction in terms", which many people confuse with "oxymoron". an oxymoron is a rhetoric figure that combines 2 seemingly opposing concepts like "bittersweet", "deafening silence" or "open secret"

Or "honest lawyer."

But the way we look at things here, I reckon it is the same. "Proto" means "original," and "neo" (for neo-prog) means "new," "revived" or "modified."

What Mike was implying would be "original-modified/revived" which in and of itself is a contradiction. Neo didn't exist in the '70s. You can't revive something that has yet to happen.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 14:18
Ok, that's enough. Lol. I am not the first person to refer to Lamb as proto neo or as an early neo album. I can see where they were coming from and to some degree I agree. I was curious to hear what others have to say.  Now I know. ;) I have actually heard similar things about Camel.

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 14:20

Ok, that's enough. Lol. I am not the first person to refer to Lamb as proto neo or as an early neo album. I can see where they were coming from and to some degree I agree. I was curious to hear what others have to say.  Now I know. ;) I have actually heard similar things about Camel.

But you wanted to be the latest? LOL

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 14:41
no

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 15:35
I would answer yes, but only if you consider In The Court Of The Crimson King a landmark Post-Proto Progressive album.

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 16:55
In future, Rock and Roll and Doo Wop must be referred to as proto rock. Now, if I can only figure out who was proto raggae.

-------------

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 18:13
I only wonder if it's True Prog.

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 21:17
My understanding is that Neo Prog bands in general took most of their influence from mid to late prog Genesis and classic era Pink Floyd, so sure. The Lamb can be considered proto neo prog if you like, but I'm pretty sure those prefixes are trying to cancel each other out, lol.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 21:33
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

it is a concept album. it is not uncommon at all that there are shorter songs in a concept album when the incident to be described doesn't require a long song, the concept should be seen as a whole.

there are albums that almost completely consist of short songs but nevertheless are prog rock albums, for example "Lucky Leif and the Longships" by Robert Calvert
I absolutely agree with you. It’s a whole concept, not a collection of individual songs, and is as prog as it can be, no matter the length of the songs.

Date Posted: June 30 2022 at 21:54
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

My understanding is that Neo Prog bands in general took most of their influence from mid to late prog Genesis and classic era Pink Floyd, so sure. The Lamb can be considered proto neo prog if you like, but I'm pretty sure those prefixes are trying to cancel each other out, lol.

Not really because I'm referring to neo as a genre and not so much as a timeline kind of thing. Proto basically means an early version of. So for me it could be translated to an early version of neo prog. That's all. There's no magic to it. 

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: July 01 2022 at 01:14
I made a similar comment but about Trick of the Tail (as mentioned earlier by another as well). And I did (half-seriously) offer the term proto neo-prog. So I'm glad I'm not alone in finding the name and concept amusing.

Date Posted: July 01 2022 at 07:28
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I made a similar comment but about Trick of the Tail (as mentioned earlier by another as well). And I did (half-seriously) offer the term proto neo-prog. So I'm glad I'm not alone in finding the name and concept amusing.

Did people take your post a bit too seriously too and accuse you of trying to make up a new genre? 

Date Posted: July 01 2022 at 22:59
Oh 100%. That totally happened. Just as it is now.

Posted By: Sacro_Porgo
Date Posted: July 02 2022 at 01:43

Not really because I'm referring to neo as a genre and not so much as a timeline kind of thing. Proto basically means an early version of. So for me it could be translated to an early version of neo prog. That's all. There's no magic to it. 

I mean I'm being a bit tongue in cheek with that last sentence (hence the lol at the end), but I did post before I read the rest of the thread, so I wasn't aware everyone else was already giving you flack for it.

As far as the music is concerned, yeah, The Lamb I think was a dramatic shift in Genesis' sound that was much closer to the synthier stuff on ATOTT and especially W&W than it was anything that had come before it, and my understanding remains the same that those mid to late 70s Genesis records were a big influence on bands like Marillion and Pendragon.

-------------
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)

Date Posted: July 02 2022 at 06:52
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I absolutely agree with you. It’s a whole concept, not a collection of individual songs, and is as prog as it can be, no matter the length of the songs.

Hi,

The only issue I have with this, is however weird, illusory or different it might be, it just about says that every album is a sort of concept ... the differentiation of which goes all over. 

Calvert's album is a concept, and it has a bit of a story in it, with Vivian Stanshall (now I gotta recheck it!!!), but if you take those small bits out, the album would probably fail the idea of a concept ... which to me suggests that the whole thing was a nice idea, but did not exactly come together as hoped for.

To me, TLLDOB is a wonderful album, but I'm not sure what kind of story/book/novel you or I are reading to call it a "concept" whose story is probably unclear and has some odd parts in it ... and then ... the worst ... they throw it all away in the end to appease the record company with one song! That alone says to me ... the concept is crap anyway ... otherwise the band would not have allowed it, AND would have maintained their integrity ... and in the foldout on MM when PG left this was one large issue, that ... almost was not answered so PG would not say anything not nice.

There is no "subjectivity" in the selection of a "concept" ... it is either clear, or it doesn't cut the mustard, or has lousy collard greens instead of lettuce on it! I'm not even sure why this discussion went to "concept" when the idea that the album is neo prog or proto prog or bss prog or phd prog or idiot's prog ... is just another idea to deny the band's interest and attention to their own material that they worked hard to put together. We continually downgrade artists because of this ... look ... it doesn't matter which it is ... Picasso is dead and he is recognized as a great ... so eat your ideas and go home! Genesis, Yes, ELP, KC, PF ... and a couple of others will also fall into the same area ... and we, here, arguing about the color of the wall in your kitchen or bathroom, is beyond ridiculous! Tongue

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 01:13
^ based the enlightened comments above can I suggest we now close down the site (preferably opening a new one and not telling Moshkito lol)

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 01:23
I don't see how calling TLLDOB proto-neo-prog helps with anything. Confused Obviously Genesis was an influence on neo-prog (and some others, too), some even considered neo-prog to be a continuation of symph-prog for the 80s (I have seen this opinion many times here on PA). 

Usually the "proto" prefix helps understand the origins of a genre (proto-prog, proto-metal, proto-punk), it does not become a genre name IMO. 

Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 07:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ based the enlightened comments above can I suggest we now close down the site (preferably opening a new one and not telling Moshkito lol)

Hi,

Yeah ... an inch over the top, but I wonder why folks consider this so important ... for example ... you don't listen to Beethoven because he is "romantic" (or from that period) and you don't listen to Bach because he is "baroque", just like you don't listen to Stravinsky because he is ... hmmmm ... surrealistic?

I think that after a point, and 50 years is probably a "good" point to judge the appreciation, that these discussions should ... well, not sure we can remove them, but a foot down a little bit to help keep the definitions in a proper working condition, would be preferable ... but given that thought, I'm not sure that many of us would even consider, or be able to, help "define" and help the definitions that were created by non-musicians that loved copies, stay up stronger than ever ... instead, it feels like they are being diluted and consequently it will render a lot of work meritless ... which would be a shame.

Already, I can tell you that almost anything "proto" or "neo" is not a major player in my collection, to give you an idea ... and a lot of the music does not excite me, as material that is much more original does. 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 07:21
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't see how calling TLLDOB proto-neo-prog helps with anything. Confused Obviously Genesis was an influence on neo-prog (and some others, too), some even considered neo-prog to be a continuation of symph-prog for the 80s (I have seen this opinion many times here on PA). 

Usually the "proto" prefix helps understand the origins of a genre (proto-prog, proto-metal, proto-punk), it does not become a genre name IMO. 

Wow dude. Relax. Can't people just have a bit of fun around here and offer up some speculation without people getting offended by it?

As for the prefix, that's exactly right and I wasn't trying to turn it into a genre either (which I already explained). However, proto prog, proto metal and proto punk are all genres to some people.

Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 08:03

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Wow dude. Relax. Can't people just have a bit of fun around here and offer up some speculation without people getting offended by it?

As for the prefix, that's exactly right and I wasn't trying to turn it into a genre either (which I already explained). However, proto prog, proto metal and proto punk are all genres to some people.

I am relaxed and i am not offended. I don't know how you think I am offended, or angry. Confused
Just saying what I think. 

Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 08:33
^The confused face emoji made me think you were perturbed by my comments. 

Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 08:42

^The confused face emoji made me think you were perturbed by my comments. 

perturbed, no.
confused, kind of.

My post was not a criticism of you, sorry you saw it that way. 

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 10:28
My bathroom wall is a light gray color. Believe it or not, my toilet is also gray. 

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 11:30
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

My bathroom wall is a light gray color. Believe it or not, my toilet is also gray. 

Tony Banks lyric:

"Stone still at my feet, it's grey matches my thinking"   

Date Posted: July 04 2022 at 12:33

However, proto prog, proto metal and proto punk are all genres to some people.

Those are different. What you offered up was a flavor like "chocolatey chocolate." LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 05 2022 at 04:44

I, too, peruse PA on the toilet.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: July 05 2022 at 09:53
An album which always sounded proto-neo to me is La Locanda Delle Fate "Forse le Luciole Non Si Amano Piu" (1977). Some guitar lines are very Rothery-eske... but the keyboards are still analog classic prog, no Yamaha DX-7 there.

Date Posted: July 06 2022 at 06:45
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

An album which always sounded proto-neo to me is La Locanda Delle Fate "Forse le Luciole Non Si Amano Piu" (1977). Some guitar lines are very Rothery-eske... but the keyboards are still analog classic prog, no Yamaha DX-7 there.

Hi,

SO will any band that has/uses the same instrument for "analog/classic".

It's not about the instrument ... it's about the music! 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: July 06 2022 at 08:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm not so sure about that. If you replaced the Mellotron in In The Court of the Crimson King with someone who could produce lengthy farts, the music will sound different and have a different impact on the listener. 

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: July 07 2022 at 03:49

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm not so sure about that. If you replaced the Mellotron in In The Court of the Crimson King with someone who could produce lengthy farts, the music will sound different and have a different impact on the listener. 
LOLLOL

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: July 07 2022 at 08:00

Agreed--BIG TIME! Re-reading my review of the album I'd also repeatedly cited comparisons to both Genesis Foxtrot/SEbtP-era and Renaissance. 

Since both Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering had come out long before the time Forse le lucciole non si amano più was released (on my 19th birthday in June), might we consider this album, Forse le lucciole non si amano più, to be the birth of Neo Prog--not just proto-? (I mean, as others have said--many, many times for many years--the generally accepted prototype for Neo Prog is/was cosidered to be Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering. Therefore, I say, unleash the hounds!)

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: July 07 2022 at 12:26
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Agreed--BIG TIME! Re-reading my review of the album I'd also repeatedly cited comparisons to both Genesis Foxtrot/SEbtP-era and Renaissance. 

Since both Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering had come out long before the time Forse le lucciole non si amano più was released (on my 19th birthday in June), might we consider this album, Forse le lucciole non si amano più, to be the birth of Neo Prog--not just proto-? (I mean, as others have said--many, many times for many years--the generally accepted prototype for Neo Prog is/was cosidered to be Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering. Therefore, I say, unleash the hounds!)
Thumbs Up Smile

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: July 08 2022 at 02:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I think if we try to invent one more sub genera of prog (Prot - Neo) the web site may actually explode causing bodily harm to millions of people across the internet. I wouldn't risk it ! LOL
This is true. We should be eliminating sub genres as a safety measure.

Agreed LOL

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: August 02 2022 at 15:57

As far as the music is concerned, yeah, The Lamb I think was a dramatic shift in Genesis' sound that was much closer to the synthier stuff on ATOTT and especially W&W than it was anything that had come before it, ....

I agree here. Besides that, about half of The Lamb had much more Pop-oriented melodies and vocals than earlier Genesis, and was as such too a forerunner for Neo-Prog, and on that behalf could be called "proto-Neo".

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 05:23
Here's a clue for you all, the first proto neo-prog album was 'And then there were three'

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: August 06 2022 at 21:23

I was thinking about how The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway has mostly shorter songs yet still is usually thought of as being full blown prog. 
I would like to comment on this. In my opinion the length of a track is no criteria whether a track is prog rock, symphonic prog or neo-prog at all.  There can me extremely long songs (for example in classical music or in jazz) which is not prog rock, and there are short songs which has all ingredients of a prog rock track. It is about the inner structure, the harmonies, the relations between the instruments etc., which defines prog rock, and also neo-prog. Neo-prog in general is more 'simplified' than symphonic prog in beat, harmonies, stucture etc, not shorter. Just saying.

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 00:03
yep it always comes back to what is prog rock? 

The definition has been widened over the years to just about any band or artist that is creative. Genesis generally moved to short form songs from Lamb onwards and they were the main inspiration for neo prog bands. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk