Print Page | Close Window

Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: I Have A Question For You......?
Forum Description: Ask any question on any subject: if the admin team or any of our members can answer it we will.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=129464
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 18:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?
Posted By: David_D
Subject: Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 07:05

Do ProgArchives have plans for becoming an all-music site?

If that is the case, I think it would be best to discuss it with the members. 

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Replies:
Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 07:09
Why should it? There are jazzmusicarchives and metal-archives. If M@x would like, he can create poparchives.com, raparchives.com technoarchives.com and so on.

Some classicalmusicarchives wouldn't be bad, anyway

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 08:00
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Do ProgArchives have plans for becoming an all-music site?

If that is the case, I think it would be best to discuss it with the members. 

When you say "all-music", do you mean "AllMusic" (ie a part of https://www.allmusic.com/)? And why do you think such plans might exist?

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 08:38
No.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 09:34
Isn't there more than enough music for you here already? There's a lot more than just prog on ProgArchives, starting with Miles Davs' first album from 1945 for instance. Wink

Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 09:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Isn't there more than enough music for you here already? There's a lot more than just prog on ProgArchives, starting with Miles Davs' first album from 1945 for instance. Wink

There surely is, Paul. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 09:58
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

When you say "all-music", do you mean "AllMusic" (ie a part of https://www.allmusic.com/)?

No, I don't mean that.

And why do you think such plans might exist?

That is on basis of a number of reasons, but not least that I've seen many cases where collaborators were unwilling to discuss and put focus on Prog/Prog term, and where they listed very obviously non-Prog bands in Prog threads, like they wanted to diminish the significance of Prog and confuse the Prog term, while increasing the significance of other kind of music.

I really don't understand the reasons for it, and the only reason I can think of is such plans - or not exactly "all-music" as I haven't been thinking of including Classical.

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:00

When you say "all-music", do you mean "AllMusic" (ie a part of https://www.allmusic.com/)?

No, I don't mean that.

That is on basis of a number of reasons, but not least that I've seen many cases where collaborators were unwilling to discuss and put focus on Prog/Prog term, and where they listed very obviously non-Prog bands in Prog threads, like they wanted to diminish the significance of Prog and confuse the Prog term, while increasing the significance of other kind of music.

I really don't understand the reasons for it, and the only reason I can think of is such plans - or not exactly "all-music" as I haven't been thinking of including Classical.

You are adding two and two and coming up with seven. Nothing to see here.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:12
This site belongs to M@x, and that ultimately would be his call unless, say, he sells it and it becomes someone else's call. Collabs are all individuals, some even misplace topics by putting them in a Prog forum, some are more strict and careful than others in that way, but I have not seen a move to convince M@x to make this site an all music site like rateyourmusic or all music. As already said, M@x has sister music sites, and actually those are more functional and have better architecture than this one does, and this site can not be easily adapted. This site is primitive, doesn't even support https. I think if M@x wanted to make such a major change to this site then he would want to rebuild it from the ground up, but I think he's sooner build a new site with a new name, or adapt one of his other sites that may be technically better but less popular.

There have been a tonne of collabs over the years with their own ideas and ways of doing things. Some have said that we should get rid of labels altogether. Some team members at some times have been more embracing of questionably Prog additions, and I have wanted to expand our notion of Prog at times, but we are a site of disparate individuals with disparate ideas and ways of doing things. I don't see an advantage to M@x by making a site called progarchives.com into an all-music.com type site even if he decides to build such a site. I would like to be part of that venture if he does.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:29
Man, I hope not. I like my prog undiluted.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:29
I've been waiting for M@X to start up ProgPolkaArchives ........Let's go!!

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:46

Any examples? Is it down different collaborators definition of what is and isn't prog? Or are you referring to Hard Rock, Jazz or Blues acts being discussed in Prog threads?

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 11:05

No, I don't mean that.

'Unwilling to discuss...Prog/Prog term': suppose you mean defining prog? Every prog genre is defined - and very well on PA IMO - and many collaborators - like myself - have discussed what prog is over and over for many years so if you care to have a look at the discussions over the years you'll see that we're not unwilling to discuss. Can you elaborate on this unwillingness ?

Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 11:12
I know when people have sometimes complained about the "what is Prog?" discussion coming up again and again, some of us have responded that without these kinds of ad nauseum discussions this forum might die. Yes, a lot of people who have been active forum members for years have got sick of these discussions, and don't want to have to keep repeating the same old things. It can get very tedious.

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 11:22
Rate Your Music already exists

PA offers a lot of prog bands that nobody has added to RYM

I love all music but I love a site like this that is focused on prog and related

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 11:40
I'd say NO.  

But, I do think the site could use a little upgrading and perhaps some new features.  Seems like it's been the same thing for years.  For example, the platform for the forum (especially the polls) could use some improvement (this has been discussed a couple of times already). 

Also, while there are video samples of some bands/performances, there's no real Youtube presence or channel that I know of sponsored by PA.  I think such a thing could attract a lot more users to the site.  Maybe some music discussion videos among PA members, kind of like Sea of Tranquility (and many other channels).  I think something like that would be cool to participate in as well.

-------------
Z

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 12:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I know when people have sometimes complained about the "what is Prog?" discussion coming up again and again, some of us have responded that without these kinds of ad nauseum discussions this forum might die. Yes, a lot of people who have been active forum members for years have got sick of these discussions, and don't want to have to keep repeating the same old things. It can get very tedious.
And to that point, all new members or these questions, should be directed to the PA definitions of each genre/sub-genre. It's all defined there with band examples to give members a clear perspective of why a band is defined as such.
At end of day if someone disagrees with the PA definitions, then so be it....I don't feel I need to be in a long thread about it at this point....

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 19:47
No

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 22:25
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Exactly. 

There is alreayd allmusic and rateyourmusic for these things. This is a prog site. 

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 23:00

No, I don't mean that.

So you've seen someone posting non-prog bands in prog threads - and you're concerned that there's a hidden plan turning this into Allmusic behind it? Gimme a break! Do you use this (complete lack of) logic in other aspects of life, or just here? 

-------------

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 23:00
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

But, I do think the site could use a little upgrading and perhaps some new features.  Seems like it's been the same thing for years.  For example, the platform for the forum (especially the polls) could use some improvement (this has been discussed a couple of times already). 

It would also be nice to have .5 increments for ratings (3.5, 4.5, etc.), as well as the ability to post a review on the front page even after already rating the album Smile

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 03 2022 at 23:09
I hope they remain true to progressive music.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 00:48
I think OP was being sarcastic. And absolutely, that's true. I also think there are tons of not-even-close-to-being-prog bands in the archives, mostly labeled as "crossover prog" or "progressive electronic". :)

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: nick_h_nz
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 03:32
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I think OP was being sarcastic. And absolutely, that's true. I also think there are tons of not-even-close-to-being-prog bands in the archives, mostly labeled as "crossover prog" or "progressive electronic". :)

I wish I had your faith, but I am quite confident that David was not at all being sarcastic. His posts have time and time again shown his desire for a very narrowly defined idea of prog, and his bewilderment at many bands and artists already in PA.

As for the idea of not-even-close-to-being-prog, that is entirely subjective, and has been argued ad infinitum. PA’s idea of what is or is not prog is much wider than that of many who write in this forum, while simultaneously being much narrower than many people who enjoy and discuss prog outside PA. It is never going to be able to please all the people all the time, and it doesn’t set out to do that. If that makes people like David sad, or mad, so be it.

In the UK, I have definitely seen much dismissal and/or joking about PA, because of what it doesn’t consider to be prog. Bands and artists written about in Prog magazine, and in UK-based prog FB pages and groups; who are reviewed on UK-based prog websites, and who frequently perform at UK prog festivals (and whose headline and/or support gigs are advertised as prog) do not feature in PA. Whether or not I think they are prog, and whether or not PA think they are prog is somewhat irrelevant, for their UK audience.

I’m sure there are similar cases throughout the world. Certainly a great deal of the modern Aussie and Kiwi prog scene would not be likely to be prog “enough” for PA. But that doesn’t stop their audiences from thinking of them as prog, nor the bands themselves, nor the way they are advertised and promoted. A recent “Progressive Alliance” tour of Aotearoa had four main bands, plus support. Only one of the bands is in PA (suggested by me, as I thought they would be prog “enough”), and I doubt any of the others would make it in. Similarly, I’ve seen plenty of Aussie bands been suggested, and rejected, as not prog “enough”. That’s fine. PA has to draw the line somewhere, or else it will be “all music”.

But to think it is already “all music” is laughable. Outside PA, the site is almost renowned for its “snobbery” and “guardianship”, and narrow view of what is or isn’t prog. It’s really only within these walls, that people think that PA has too broad a definition of prog. We are far from being an “all music” site, and it is highly unlikely that PA will ever even come close to that.

If anyone thinks PA os already “all music”, or is headed that way, then that says far more about them and their own ideas on what is or is not prog, than it does about the site.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/nickhnz-tpa" rel="nofollow - Reviewer for The Progressive Aspect

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 04:01
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Any examples? Is it down different collaborators definition of what is and isn't prog? Or are you referring to Hard Rock, Jazz or Blues acts being discussed in Prog threads?

I'm not much for mentioning names, and I mean the cases where it obviously not is the question of different Prog definitions. 
Personally, I think it's okay to list non-Prog bands in Prog threads, as long it's clearly stated, they are non-Prog, for not to risk confuse the Prog term.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 04:05
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

So you've seen someone posting non-prog bands in prog threads - and you're concerned that there's a hidden plan turning this into Allmusic behind it? Gimme a break! Do you use this (complete lack of) logic in other aspects of life, or just here? 

This is not good way to respond, Saperlipopette! Ouch Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 04:50

I'm not much for mentioning names, and I mean the cases where it obviously not is the question of different Prog definitions. 
Personally, I think it's okay to list non-Prog bands in Prog threads, as long it's clearly stated, they are non-Prog, for not to risk confuse the Prog term.

Well that doesn't make it much clearer. If they are obviously non-prog why would we explicitly have to state they are non-prog?

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 05:39
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

'Unwilling to discuss...Prog/Prog term': suppose you mean defining prog? Every prog genre is defined - and very well on PA IMO - and many collaborators - like myself - have discussed what prog is over and over for many years so if you care to have a look at the discussions over the years you'll see that we're not unwilling to discuss. Can you elaborate on this unwillingness ?

I mean the cases the last nine months where some collaborators actually seemed to be trying prevent others in discussing Prog as a term or phenomenon.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 05:49

I mean the cases the last nine months where some collaborators actually seemed to be trying prevent others in discussing Prog as a term or phenomenon.

I think you are either being sarcastic or seeing conspiracies where there are none. To think collaborators are spending time trying to prevent people talking prog on a prog board is bizarre. It's a fun little site we like to chat on. Are we personally bored with "what is prog?" threads? Probably, we've been here for many years and it's been talked to death. We're not stopping anyone else talking it.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 06:27
Defining prog is an impossible task. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 06:33

My honest response is the only response I got. Good is beside the point. Your "concern" comes across as silly to me.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 06:34
Why would it?

There is a General Music discussions forum on this site to discuss non prog music.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: VianaProghead
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 07:05
Absolutely not. As its name says, this a site with the intention to be a real archive of prog. There are many other sites that we can call generalistic sites. Besides, there are also many other sites that are focused on prog, jazz and metal, for instance.

What we really nedd is to be focused on a specific niche of music as complete as possible, which is prog. Anyway, this site has also many bands that aren't properly prog but only related to prog. Furthermore, we can discuss other types of music in the forum. 

To be a generalist is the opposite of being a specialist. What we need in the world today is of people that are knowing what they're saying about a certain matter and not people that talk about anything trying to seem experts in everything.

This was and still is, the main reason why I'm still a collaborator on Proarchives, regularly, as a prog reviewer.

-------------
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 07:18

I won't say, I'm sarcastic in my OP, but my reasons for this thread are some frustration and worry for sure. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 07:51

My honest response is the only response I got. Good is beside the point. Your "concern" comes across as silly to me.

How about try to see things from my perspective and think about some ethic rules?

-------------

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 08:04

How about try to see things from my perspective and think about some ethic rules?

What perspective though? This is a prog-centric site, so you clearly knew what kind of responses you'd get when you posted the topic. As many people have already said, there are plenty of sites that cater to all genres - RateYourMusic, Allmusic, Sputnikmusic (shameless plug!), etc. - but PA is specifically meant to be about prog... hell, it's in the name of the site. I hope I can be proven wrong about this, but a lot of this thread seems intended more for bait than legitimate discussion. 

But that wouldn't be your intention now, would it? Wink

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 08:08

As far as I'm concerned I've done both those things. If you can't take a reply like this, then you shouldn't post conspiracy theory-like suspicions about some secret plan among collaboratos wanting to turn PA into an all-music site. It's silly, bonkers, crazy etc... and that's my thought through reply.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 08:22
First rule of Prog Club don't talk about Prog Club.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 09:15

Well then you probably don't like this site too much. On here there's jazz rock fusion, progressive electronic, raga, psychedelic, crossover, not to mention three kinds of prog metal, etc.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 09:17
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Why would it?

There is a General Music discussions forum on this site to discuss non prog music.

This
Thumbs Up

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 09:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Well then you probably don't like this site too much. On here there's jazz rock fusion, progressive electronic, raga, psychedelic, crossover, not to mention three kinds of prog metal, etc.

You probably assume too much.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 09:46

Probably! LOL

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 09:49

Probably! LOL

Big smile

-------------

Posted By: bardberic
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 11:10
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I wish I had your faith, but I am quite confident that David was not at all being sarcastic. His posts have time and time again shown his desire for a very narrowly defined idea of prog, and his bewilderment at many bands and artists already in PA.

As for the idea of not-even-close-to-being-prog, that is entirely subjective, and has been argued ad infinitum. PA’s idea of what is or is not prog is much wider than that of many who write in this forum, while simultaneously being much narrower than many people who enjoy and discuss prog outside PA. It is never going to be able to please all the people all the time, and it doesn’t set out to do that. If that makes people like David sad, or mad, so be it.

In the UK, I have definitely seen much dismissal and/or joking about PA, because of what it doesn’t consider to be prog. Bands and artists written about in Prog magazine, and in UK-based prog FB pages and groups; who are reviewed on UK-based prog websites, and who frequently perform at UK prog festivals (and whose headline and/or support gigs are advertised as prog) do not feature in PA. Whether or not I think they are prog, and whether or not PA think they are prog is somewhat irrelevant, for their UK audience.

I’m sure there are similar cases throughout the world. Certainly a great deal of the modern Aussie and Kiwi prog scene would not be likely to be prog “enough” for PA. But that doesn’t stop their audiences from thinking of them as prog, nor the bands themselves, nor the way they are advertised and promoted. A recent “Progressive Alliance” tour of Aotearoa had four main bands, plus support. Only one of the bands is in PA (suggested by me, as I thought they would be prog “enough”), and I doubt any of the others would make it in. Similarly, I’ve seen plenty of Aussie bands been suggested, and rejected, as not prog “enough”. That’s fine. PA has to draw the line somewhere, or else it will be “all music”.

But to think it is already “all music” is laughable. Outside PA, the site is almost renowned for its “snobbery” and “guardianship”, and narrow view of what is or isn’t prog. It’s really only within these walls, that people think that PA has too broad a definition of prog. We are far from being an “all music” site, and it is highly unlikely that PA will ever even come close to that.

If anyone thinks PA os already “all music”, or is headed that way, then that says far more about them and their own ideas on what is or is not prog, than it does about the site.

As much as the PA is ridiculed for being "snobs," it didn't even remotely compare to the elitism that the MA exhibits. That's part of the reason I switched from there to here. I couldn't stand how uptight and snobby they were over at the Metal Archives. At least people here are mature (albeit on average physically older) and relatively open-minded.

Although I do feel the members here mocked me on my Dave Brubeck post, which does annoy me a little, but whatever.

Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 11:58
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

This has become a bit more true since I a week ago wrote this post in my blog "How to define and classify Progressive Rock?":

I can tell that by now I'm in doubt about what to find being the best use of the term Progressive Rock, and I may become in favour of the double way you use, but which would be though:

1. A less including one, much similar to RYM's, which I guess is best corresponding to the historically and today mostly used one, so it can be called "Progressive Rock proper".
2. A more including one, and the way I've suggested to define Progressive Rock in my article here, which uses the term Prog as a meta-genre.

-------------

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 12:53
^ Maybe you should abandon the idea that there is a "best" use of the term progressive rock, because all that is very subjective. You will have less worries, then. So many people, so many ideas about prog and about music in general. And I guess that 99% (but maybe I'm underestimating) of the forumers here on PA are not very much interested in a definition of prog, but are here to talk and exchange about music.
I wouldn't be worried either by prog lists that have some non-prog artists in it: it is just a way to say that there is more good music outside of the prog realm. Sometimes this is done as a joke, sometimes just to show others that a non prog artist/band might be interesting, sometimes it is to provoke reactions/debate. Nothing wrong with that, on the contrary: it nourishes the discussions.
It is only when you let definitions dictate your music appreciation that things get awry...

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 17:30
Pffft! Like prog is even music. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Hugh Manatee
Date Posted: August 04 2022 at 17:57

Is this thread the result of what happens when a petulant control freak doesn't get the the acknowledgment or validation they think they deserve?

Instead of trying to dictate the direction that this site and this forum might take, I suggest the OP start their own site. Then they can make all the rules and stipulations they like without fear of contradiction. 

-------------
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas

Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 03:46
PA is not going to narrow the definitions of what prog is. It's going to extend the understanding of what prog is as it keeps developing. 

I'm constantly challenged on what neo-prog (and prog in general) is and I do not always agree on the neo additions but it's a way to allow for prog to evolve.

For instance, over time crossover prog has embraced a variety of music that really makes me think there's room for new prog genres here.

Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 07:01
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Maybe you should abandon the idea that there is a "best" use of the term progressive rock, because all that is very subjective. You will have less worries, then. So many people, so many ideas about prog and about music in general. And I guess that 99% (but maybe I'm underestimating) of the forumers here on PA are not very much interested in a definition of prog, but are here to talk and exchange about music.
I wouldn't be worried either by prog lists that have some non-prog artists in it: it is just a way to say that there is more good music outside of the prog realm. Sometimes this is done as a joke, sometimes just to show others that a non prog artist/band might be interesting, sometimes it is to provoke reactions/debate. Nothing wrong with that, on the contrary: it nourishes the discussions.
It is only when you let definitions dictate your music appreciation that things get awry...

Thank you very much for this constructive post of yours, suitkees. Even I have another understanding of maybe the whole phenomenon of using terms, I find several things in your post good for consideration.

I can surely recommend this post as a good example of constructive discussion. Clap

-------------

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 07:02

This has become a bit more true since I a week ago wrote this post in my blog "How to define and classify Progressive Rock?":

my hell man... do you ever give this stuff a break?  i leave for a while and come back and again you are trying to define and classify.  ffs!!! get over it and move on.  enjoy the ride.

Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 07:44
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

my hell man... do you ever give this stuff a break?  i leave for a while and come back and again you are trying to define and classify.  ffs!!! get over it and move on.  enjoy the ride.

Maybe this is how he personally enjoys the ride.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 11:04

Maybe this is how he personally enjoys the ride.

You've got a point there, Ian - different strokes for different folks. Smile

-------------

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 11:57
I, for one, think PA should stick to prog. But I have a hound dog here who loves country music-he just starts bobbing and bopping every time he hears it. He's getting really fed up with my unapologetic progginess, so we should add country top 40 to the site-just for him. 

Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 13:30
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I've been waiting for M@X to start up ProgPolkaArchives ........Let's go!!

LOL  

- Yes, I can be very late with my reaction to some posts.

-------------

Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 15:08
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

Thanks for your concern, rushaholic, and I can assure you, I do enjoy the ride, and certainly in different ways as well. 

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 15:54
There's no question that in recent years Prog Rock has been evolving.
It's only natural that the farther away we are from the 70s the more the concept of Prog Rock is branching out, as new bands pop up with fresh interpretations of what producing progressive music may mean.
If you stick to considering classic Prog as "the purest Prog there is", unavoidably you will be challenged by the progressiveness of many recent bands.

Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 17:20
Wait a minute, maybe this IS "How to define and classify Progressive Rock?" reloaded...
Not complaining, just saying.

Date Posted: August 05 2022 at 22:21
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

There's no question that in recent years Prog Rock has been evolving.
It's only natural that the farther away we are from the 70s the more the concept of Prog Rock is branching out, as new bands pop up with fresh interpretations of what producing progressive music may mean.
If you stick to considering classic Prog as "the purest Prog there is", unavoidably you will be challenged by the progressiveness of many recent bands.
Yep, progressive rock cannot and should never have a completely finished definition. At least not until it's in a museum.

-------------

Date Posted: August 06 2022 at 06:04
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Wait a minute, maybe this IS "How to define and classify Progressive Rock?" reloaded...
Not complaining, just saying.

I won't complain for that either, even I wouldn't mind to hear some more opinions about listing non-Prog bands in Prog threads. 

-------------

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: August 06 2022 at 09:54
My opinion is that it's okay or I don't care if it works in the context of the thread. For example, discussion is on favorite prog albums from a particular year or location, and someone mentions a non-prog album as a favorite, I am okay with it because it could be saying as much as I like prog, there was this. Or I have no problem with people making a case for an artist or album being prog even if I disagree because there is a lot of personal opinion about prog. The only time it does bother me if it had nothing to do with the thread. I don't have an example but, for example, mentioning Abba in a Porcupine Tree appreciation thread might seem like someone is trolling or has some other agenda. On the other hand, threads go off topic from time to time and that's just the nature of these things.

So, long rambling aside, I'm generally okay with listing non-prog in prog threads.

Date Posted: August 06 2022 at 10:10

I won't complain for that either, even I wouldn't mind to hear some more opinions about listing non-Prog bands in Prog threads. 

Oh my God, someone list non-prog bands in a prog thread ! Call the prog police LOL

I hope you're joking like this current thread was a joke from the onset...erh, at least I hope so Confused

Date Posted: August 06 2022 at 13:50

To avoid misunderstandings, I'd like to repeat that my current opinion is:

-------------

Posted By: Zeph
Date Posted: August 06 2022 at 15:04
PA becoming all-music would be silly, but on the topic of prog (progrock?) definitions I’m all for be inclusive rather than exclusive. In the end, I’m looking for good music, and don’t care if the universe, wikipedia and it’s mother define it as prog or not. I’m more fan of the term “progressive” and moving the music in the new directions, which is how all of this began. It does feel a bit ironic to limit the music when it’s called “progressive rock”.

Not that all music on PA has to fit into a set of definitions, you can find so much varied music here. Partly because bands are entered rather than albums, which means a band starting with death metal, moving through prog and ending up with pop has all the albums included. Just there is a reason to be inclusive rather than exclusive about bands.

[QUOTE=David_D]Personally, I think it's okay to list non-Prog bands in Prog threads, as long it's clearly stated, they are non-Prog, for not to risk confuse the Prog term.

As if the term hasn’t been confusing and the topic of discussions for decades.

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 06:12
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

My opinion is that it's okay or I don't care if it works in the context of the thread. For example, discussion is on favorite prog albums from a particular year or location, and someone mentions a non-prog album as a favorite, I am okay with it because it could be saying as much as I like prog, there was this.

Do you here assume that the someone has told, the album in question is not considered Prog?

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 06:37
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

As if the term hasn’t been confusing and the topic of discussions for decades.

You've got a point there, but for whatever reason, I'd surely prefer telling if albums listed in Prog threads are not considered to be Prog - actually, I feel pretty bad if not doing it. Unhappy

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 06:50

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 07:05
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've been guilty in the past of adding non-prog bands to my prog blogs, but you usually manage to keep me in line. Remember Deacon Blue & Prefab Sprout? Tongue

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 08:41

I've been guilty in the past of adding non-prog bands to my prog blogs, but you usually manage to keep me in line. Remember Deacon Blue & Prefab Sprout? Tongue

I remember many of such cases, even you now usually state what genre they are, and thanks, Paul. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 09:14

But Cristi, would you advice me to try say to myself: Archives are for Prog (and related), but ALL the forums are kind of for all music.
Because whatever you think about it there's still this question for me what I can and can't live with.

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 09:20

But Cristi, would you advice me to try say to myself: Archives are for Prog (and related), but ALL the forums are kind of for all music.
Because whatever you think about it there's still this question for me what I can and can't live with.

Like many others have already pointed out, your conclusions here are far fetched too put it mildly. 

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 10:04
David, there is a Dutch expression that seems quite appropriate to me here: I think you see too many bears on the road. Meaning: you make a problem of something that actually isn't a problem at all. It is your fixation on genre definitions that maybe makes that "you can't live with" people suggesting non-prog bands/albums in prog threads, but the PA forumers are generally coping quite well with it. Why? Probably because they're less interested in the genre labels we can stick on something than the music we are talking about.
Now, the PA database has an awkward inconvenience in that it can only stick one genre label to a band, and not several genre labels, and it cannot even differentiate genres between albums... This already leads to many discussions on the PA forums.

Your meta-discussions can be interesting, but you seem to have a tendency to turn things into something very normative that maybe suits you, but that are not meeting with much interest from the PA folks. So, at some point it might be good to just "let it go". I'm a kind of a "theoretical" guy too, but here on PA I prefer to talk about music.

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 10:54

But sorry for not really appreciating that you were talking about the past. Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 11:02

But sorry for not really appreciating that you were talking about the past. Embarrassed

That's probably why YouTube deleted my prog channel, because I was violating the Prog Descriptions Act, or something like that. Tongue

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 11:04

That's probably why YouTube deleted my prog channel, because I was violating the Prog Descriptions Act, or something like that. Tongue

you probably broke some copyright rule they got. 

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 11:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

you probably broke some copyright rule they got. 
I wondered about that too, but I only added music playlists made up of existing videos to my channels. I've never uploaded any music videos. The only way I can think of where I may have violated copyright is with the channel name "Prog Britannia" when the BBC has a similarly named documentary series titled "Prog Rock Britannia". Confused

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 12:08

That's really good to know, while I can tell that I'm getting more and more fond of Turkish Delight. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 12:30
I have moved this topic to the "I Have a Question For You?" forum where one can ask any question because this topic would show on the front home page of the site (www.progarchives.com) and it might confuse and concern some visitors thinking there was some news that a change may be in the works, and it was already answered by page one that no plans have been presented for this to become an all music site. Some might argue that that ship had already sailed long ago with some of the additions to PA. :P That said, this seemed to be moving in a just for fun direction after Kee's post.   

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 12:56

I have moved this topic to the "I Have a Question For You?" forum where one can ask any question because this topic would show on the front home page of the site (www.progarchives.com) and it might confuse and concern some visitors thinking there was some news that a change may be in the works, and it was already answered by page one that no plans have been presented for this to become an all music site. Some might argue that that ship had already sailed long ago with some of the additions to PA. :P That said, this seemed to be moving in a just for fun direction after Kee's post.   

Perhaps PA should move to a Country & Western format. It may be more interesting to have a discussion about Merle Haggard rather than the 532nd poll about The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 13:19
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Perhaps PA should move to a Country & Western format. It may be more interesting to have a discussion about Merle Haggard rather than the 532nd poll about The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

This is why I love and spend much time in the General Music Discussions forum. Not for Merle Haggard per se, but for Dick Black and Ken.

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 13:31
Running out of labels is such a tragedy.....Stern Smile

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 13:42

This is why I love and spend much time in the General Music Discussions forum. Not for Merle Haggard per se, but for Dick Black and Ken.

For anyone unfamiliar with Dick Black, I've just found this helpful review...

Dick Black really grows on you. Initially I thought I'm not going to like this but now he's right up my alley. I particularly like track 15 'Gay Gordons'. It's a shame Dick Black isn't as big as he used to be but he has really kept it up for a long time-even my granny liked Dick Black!

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 15:43

I may doubt if these new times will make PA forums more attractive. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 07 2022 at 15:46
If Dick Black doesn't make these forums more attractive, I don't know what will. If he doesn't now, Dick grows on you.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 04:37

not least good dialogue with the members

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 04:39

not least good dialogue with the members

what's there to discuss? The whole premise of the thread is wrong. 
Let it go... 

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 04:50
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Don't worry, we have these...

With one of these we can use every tag for a new sub-genre:
- peanut butter prog
- diaper prog
- shampoo prog
- spinach prog

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 05:23
David_D, time to say 'pyt' and move on.

Seems that you should resort to 'pyt' more often.

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 06:10

pretty young thing?
pull yourself together?
Perth youth theatre?
preliminary yield trial?

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 06:58

pretty young thing?
pull yourself together?
Perth youth theatre?
preliminary yield trial?

Only thing I can find is a Danish word roughly meaning “Don’t worry about it,” “stuff happens” or “oh, well.”

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 07:45
^thanks, that's pretty accurate

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 09:38

Thanks for your advice, and I'm impressed by your knowledge of this more unusual and not really dictionary Danish word. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 09:42

pretty young thing?
pull yourself together?
Perth youth theatre?
preliminary yield trial?

And I'm impressed as well by this creativity. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 09:47
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Don't worry, we have these...

With one of these we can use every tag for a new sub-genre:
- peanut butter prog
- diaper prog
- shampoo prog
- spinach prog

LOL  

and quite creative, too.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 10:03

The last thing to say is that it's not exactly that kind of dialogue, I've had in mind, and I was mostly thinking in more general way. 

But thanks for all this respond, anyway, it moves in better direction. Smile

And may Progressive Rock be with you! Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 10:24
^David, what kind of dialogue did you have in mind?

Perhaps you weren't clear enough in your thread opening statement.

If anything, you got me interested in your blog.

Date Posted: August 08 2022 at 12:47

You've got me very suprised by the openness in this question, Earlyprog, and due to different reasons I have to wait at least until tomorrow before I can make a decision how to answer it, and do it - but whatever, I appreciate very much this question of yours, Earlyprog. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 09 2022 at 04:58

And here's my answer to this question:

In my former post I wrote: "I may doubt if these new times will make PA forums more attractive. ", and the dialog I meant was the general one in the future, as I at that point of time didn't think that this thread would bring more concerning listing non-Prog artists in Prog threads.

In case you might be still interested in this question, Earlyprog, I'm afraid to say that I don't think, I will describe here exactly what dialogue I have in mind because I don't know what respond I get on that, and this thread has been tough enough for me already - and maybe for some others too.

Anyway, I'm very thankful for this question, and others may find it inspiring as well. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: August 09 2022 at 13:59
Was writing this hours earlier, but I got interrupted by things that need to be done. And distracted again so it lacks good flow and cohesiveness.

For what it's worth, I do wish people were more careful when it comes to bringing up non-Prog music and music that is not in PA in the Prog fora. I have moved so, so very many topics (i.e. a lot) to other fora in my time here. Officially the policy is that if it isn't included in a Prog category of PA (that excludes Proto-Prog and Prog Related) then it isn't considered Prog here, even if it may be included at some time in the future and may actually be considered Prog generally. It just makes regulating the Prog lounges easier. This, however, is not ideal as we don't label by the album at PA but instead put whole discographies under one genre with the act (a site limitation) and so we have decidedly non-Prog albums residing in Prog categories. Additionally, because what is Prog can be so subjective and I believe that Prog is an amorphous, nebulous and shifting label. I don't think the label should be static, that is not progressive, and terminology does evolve and this site can be expected to embrace more diverse music over time.

While I would put a lot of music under the Prog umbrella, I find that genres overlap, and will mention music that others might not think of as Prog, or I might not think of as Prog-proper (given a narrower definition) and is not officially Prog by this site's standards, when mentioning such music in the Prog lounges I generally do try to bring up if it isn't in PA and what I think of as its progressive credentials/merits.

For a number of bands that I would often bring up, say, Stereolab, Portishead, Pram, Broadcast and Air, I think they all have progressive merits if not necessarily Prog. Of course moreso depending on the track and album, and it is more progressive than a lot of music being put out by classic Prog bands during the same years, and more progressive than ones who emulate those. But that takes us to the Prog vs. progressive debate. Note: Pram was added to PA not long ago, and there have been calls for Stereolab to be added.

I commonly find it less interesting limiting in forum to ones considered Prog here, and particular music in PA will often relate much more closely to music outside of PA than to other styles of music in PA. Prog is so diverse. I don't think it makes sense to only talk about one's considered Prog by official PA standards in many Prog fora topics, such as recommendations threads as those acts outside of PA may be the best recommendations for someone looking for music like, say, Pink Floyd. This is less likely with looking for recommendations for a band that sounds like The Flower Kings I would say. I would hope that people at least try to focus most on music they consider progressive or properly Prog at least in the the Prog lounges. Some people don't use General Music Discussions enough and go straight for the Prog lounges.

I will mention albums and music not deemed Prog by the site's old standards in topics here, but I do try to indicate that and often will try to explain why I think they are relevant even if that does not mean that I think it SHOULD be added to PA or would support the addition. And as a side-note, I have various working definitions of Prog as well as progressive rock and progressive music generally.

On another note: it has been a common conception that the forum itself is more of a site accessory, and what really matters is the archive of bands/artists and their albums listed in PA, the bios and album info, and the reviews. When I saw this topic my mind thought about that part of the site, not such things that go on in the forum. The forum was set up as a place for people to socialise, recommend, discuss and have fun and for people to suggest acts for inclusion and a s means to discuss that. When people have complained about this site losing focus on Prog, and turning into anon-Prog site, it has almost always had to do with controversial additions, or earlier new categories. For instance, there were arguments over whether much metal and metal categories should be included in a Progressive Rock site, and people were worrying about the direction of the database due to additions and new categories. I think your concerns have been rather unique as it seems to focus on certain forum behaviour by collabs rather than collabs adding questionable bands to the database.

By the way, I am very interested in the relationships between things (including albums and styles of music and music can often be of many styles) and take a holistic approach and this a reason why I find imposing limits and tidy Prog boxes just don't work. A lot of my favourite albums considered Prog by this site have far more in common with music that may not be considered prog than with most of what is considered Prog at this site. That said, I am not as into traditional Prog as great many here and tend to prefer outlier related styles that say someone who is mostly into classic symphonic Prog may not consider to be truly Prog. A big part of prog to me is that it is a hybridization of styles, any style can be adopted into a Prog package, and I think it should also be adpating and changing to be progressive, so it can be very inclusive.

-------------

Date Posted: August 10 2022 at 04:21

For what it's worth, I do wish people were more careful when it comes to bringing up non-Prog music and music that is not in PA in the Prog fora.

I'm glad to hear that, Greg.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk